1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well thats.. kind of broken. Darkseid is just OP.

2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No, that makes the Anti-Life Equation OP.

Darkseid doesn't have the full Anti-Life Equation in this story, he has a portion of it.

3. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Came across a wierd little continuity error. At one point it mentions Zatanna joining OL at the shooting range, and adding a gun to her gear, then later on in the story, they start talking about Zatanna maybe learning how to use a gun.

Ardy likes this.
  4. vali

vali I trust you know where the happy button is?

This episode has been a lot of fun. Also, it's crazy to think that I've been following this story for 5 years across 3 different forums.

Any chance we'll see Johnny Sorrow again? Out of all the villains, his exit was the best.

"The smile on the face of the tiger" is just perfect.

5. Threadmarks: Bended (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

3rd March
    04:14 GMT +5

He gingerly touched the burn on his chest with his right hand while his eyes remained fixed on Diana and Billy.

The robot -Mr. Atom- had tried punching Billy while the three of them grappled, and Billy lost his grip on his torso before blindly grabbing his leg as Diana knocked the two of them into the air. He'd seen the robot fire a gamma ray beam from his eyes which near-blinded Billy, so it was a little impressive that he's managed to stay as coordinated as he had.

He remembered the times in his own career when he'd been blinded and it had been crippling. Not that he'd been in much danger himself; the attacks that followed had usually hurt without being life-threatening. No, what scared him was the idea that he'd hit someone while he couldn't see where he was going. Or… Miss something.

Mr. Atom fired a shot at Diana's face as Billy tried to keep hold of something he couldn't see and was trying to kick him in the face. Diana spotted what Mr. Atom was trying to do and turned her head away just enough that her golden helmet took the worst of it. Mr. Atom tried to push her back out of the grapple and into punching range, but she partially evaded his shove and parried his punch with her left bracer. A hundred practice sessions of her doing that to him had taught him that her bracers absorbed all of the force of the strike, and from the way Mr. Atom was following up by punching her full force from an angle it was simple for her to block implied that he didn't know that.

He could charge in, but with Diana handling that and Hal keeping the radioactive dust -he involuntarily gritted his teeth- under control, it was better for him to hang back and keep watch. He tapped his earpiece to indicate that he was fine-. No, it was dead. Then he scanned the surrounding environment. The dust cloud was spreading, and with it the glow of gamma radiation. Thankfully, that wasn't something that he ran into all that often; his 'super vision' would let him see through the dust cloud and the dark just fine but enough radiation at the top or bottom of his visual range would leave him just as blind as everyone else.

Was that intentional? Sure, the radiation would keep most of the League away, the robot could probably see fine in the dark and clearly it wasn't bothered by the radiation, but blocking his vision? It didn't seem likely. If it was preparing for him specifically it would be using kryptonite rather than gamma rays.

The robot was falling back to Earth, Billy had let go and was doing the mental focus thing Teth Adom had taught him in order to recover faster-.

Why was the robot falling? Was it trying to save power? Get further into the radioactive dust because it didn't think Diana was immune to it? Or-?

No, it hadn't left the ground until Diana slammed into it.

"I don't think the robot can fly."

Another graser shot flashes out, missing Dian-.

Hitting Hal, and causing the dome that was supposed to keep the radioactive dust in to flicker. He stabilized it a moment later-.

He blurred over to Hal, whose uniform was smouldering.

"You okay?"

Hal winces as he generated a shield construct, keeping it pointed at where Mr. Atom appeared to have learned to avoid Diana's bracers. Fortunately, her armor is tough enough to help her weather the blows.

"I dunno. How long does it take the tumours to show if I'm not?"

"Can you keep the dome up?"

"As long as he doesn't start aiming for-."

Mr. Atom swung his right fist low towards Diana's stomach while firing his grasers at her vision slit. She blocks with both bracers and Mr. Atom uses the opportunity of her eyes and arms being occupied to grab the top of her head with his left hand. He wrenched, Diana's feet involuntarily leaving the ground as she's pulled with her helmet. Mr. Atom then bends, slamming the back of her helmet into the ground and firing-.

He narrows his own eyes and fires his vision weapon.

He didn't have any problem with robots and intelligent computers being considered people, but it was a whole lot safer to dismantle them than it was to dismantle a human. Knowing Paul, its brain was probably armored-.

Mr. Atom's eyes glow brighter, and for a moment he worries that he might have caused some kind of feedback-.

A dozen rapidly-fired pulses from Mr. Atom's apparently undamaged eyes pepper Hal's dome, his protective shield becoming increasingly translucent as he redoubles his efforts to maintain-.

He interposes himself just as Mr. Atom fires a full powered OW.

Nugruh-gh.

What was left of his shirt was vaporized, his pants-. He was pretty sure that Bruce got him ultra-tough briefs after Paul destroyed his costume-briefs as a joke, but he was pretty glad he had them now. It was dark and they were a good way away from the city, but being naked on camera was something he'd prefer to avoid. He skin was glowing-red and he felt a small spike of pain whenever one of the particles of concrete dust touched him. That was a lot more powerful than its first shot. And he wasn't sure if Hal could take it when distracted.

Billy had recovered, and flew at Mr. Atom's head while he was busy trying to land effective blows on Diana. Between her smaller size, invulnerable bracers and greater skill he wasn't managing much, but he didn't look damaged at all.

"Supes?"

He gives Hal a reassuring and mildly sunburned smile. "That hurt, but it hasn't taken me out yet."

Sunburned. It was night, the air was increasingly filled with dust and dawn was still at least three hours away. Only a couple of people had ever managed to run down his solar batteries, but-.

Billy was slamming haymakers into Mr. Atom's head, but half the time heads were decorative on robots anyway. Chances are that its brain was in its chest. One punch from his left fist looked like it worked the head loose, but all it was doing was rotating it so that it could take a few more shots at Hal's dome. Diana was climbing back to her feet-.

Billy pounding at Mr. Atom didn't stop it shooting the dome but it was preventing him shooting Hal directly. If Mr. Atom was feeding on radiation, what wavelengths could he use? Everything here, presumably, but was that more powerful blast a result of absorbing his heat vision? That was on the other side of the human-visible part of the spectrum. Was he only able to absorb from some parts of his body?

He narrowed his eyes, trying to get a good look at what the radiation around the robot was doing. It was hard to tell precisely -he didn't have much experience with radioactive materials that weren't kryptonite- but it looks like.. the dust in front of his chest was emitting less radiation than the rest. And there was some sort of dust current, partially disguised by all of the other movement the clouds of debris were going through. He was… Filtering. Probably recharging, and it looked like that was happening… Around the red spot in the center of his chest.

So: eyes and chest. Everything else was fair game. He narrowed his eyes a little further and used a brief gap where the robot caught Billy a powerful blow to the diaphragm to send two burning red beams at its left shoulder. It registers the damage immediately, partially turning so that the beams are striking its stronger torso armor rather than a joint, then sidestepping so that Diana spoiled the shot.

"The robot can absorb radiation through the center of his chest and his eyes!"

Diana responds at once as Billy presses his attack. She drew a sword -almost certainly enchanted- and waited until Billy has its full attention before stabbing forward. The blade tip cuts into his chest, again prompting an immediate response even though Mr. Atom can't see the source of the attack with his eyes. With her bracers unable to rise his left fist strikes her full in the face and drives her back, but Billy takes advantage of that to aim strikes at its eyes.

He can see that Diana's stab has inflicted visible damage on the absorption mechanism in the way the radiation isn't being absorbed anything like as-.

The grey dust is suddenly sucked inwards, then explodes outwards in all directions!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  6. Mr Zoat

Can you give me a link to where it says that?

7. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Change "he" to "her".

Change "is" to "his".

Change "if" to "it".

I think you want to add an "or" between "him" and "shooting".

8. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Feels a little too passive and thinky for superman. He's a brawler. He should be either trying to wrestle Mr Atom as he thinks, or using rubble to try to shield Hal or something.

It sounds like he's just... floating there, as Diana and Billy do the fighting in the background.
    That sort of thing suits Paul, but not Clark.

... what effect would radiation Gasers have on something nonorganic like stone anyway? Other than irradiating it, obviously.
    Putting something solid between the brawl and Hal wouldn't be a bad idea, and there's always ice-breath.

9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Kal-El's turn for commentary.

Yeah, a good guy like Clark will definitely be concerned about collateral damage, especially people. If he's not, then that universe has something seriously wrong with it (looking at you, DCEU!)

Ah, enemies too stupid to change tactics mid-fight. Always handy.

And not make it much fun for his teammates either.

And now we see something many versions of Superman forget: Intelligence.

Too bad he doesn't have working comms. As is, he's facing blabbing his observations to Mr Atom too.

He just tanked a Gamma Ray laser, what do you think, Clark?:V

Eh, I'm sure OL can patch you up. Too bad Green Rings aren't good at healing, huh?

Ow. That can not have been pleasant, even for her toughness.

Oops. Gotta be careful about accidentally energising an enemy. That's gonna cost him points.

Pain that bad is a rare thing for him to feel, isn't it?

Yeah, thank Batman for the magic pants. The last thing we need is a full-frontal assault...

Another one might be a problem. Best not try eye-beams to the face again.

At least taking off the head means no primary eye-ray source. And probably helps reduce Mr Atom's visual acuity...

Ah, the big, glowing red spot. Strike the weak point for massive damage!

And now the robot knows you know that. He's going to be defending those points harder now.

He's gone from 'Suck' to 'Blow'!

Hoo boy. I know they're talented amateurs, but the League are not making a good showing in this fight. The final score is not going to be pleasant. So... Tomorrow's perspective: Wonder Woman?

Correction:
    ...armour rather than a joint...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  10. Chirox

Chirox Getting out there.

I'm enjoying the multiple perspectives here, it's interesting to see how each of them is coping with the wrenches being thrown at them.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Will Empress join the team in the future?

Shouldn't the renegade have an interest in Empress, seeing as she had a piece of the equation in herself when she was in the comics, or did he simply forget that she existed, like when he forgot what the Sword of the Fallen does to the ones it kills?

Does Kon have any benefits from his human half?
    Like extra resistance to magic and kryptonite?

Hey, has OL talked to Kara about her religious beliefs and if she would like to worship Helios, you know to also help her get into one of earths more better afterlives, or is she simply not interested?

Have the angels allowed some of that visitation, between the souls in Erebus and those in heaven, that Hades was going to demand of them?

Nice to see this multi-character perspective thing you're doing.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Probably not.
    He once saw her in one page of one comic.
    In theory, he gains a number of traits. He's just not using them all that much because kryptonian is better at most things he wants to do.
    Superman's first priority is the protection of the innocent. The area is already clear and Mr Atom isn't trying to leave. Then, protecting his team mates. Diana and Billy are fine, but he tanked a shot for Hal. He could rush in, but at this point he's a veteran and knows that having multiple people attacking a single humanoid opponent would just result in them getting in each others way.
    I'll leave that for someone around here with a better understanding of physics than me.

13. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I do think it would be nice if the name of whoever's perspective we were following was listed at the start. It's easy enough to figure out that we're following Supes from context, but compared to say, Green Arrow or Captain Marvel his voice isn't as strong.

14. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Another piece of art for my Favorites folder. This is so very Superman.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

During the Mandated episode we found out that the, well i suppose you could say spirit, of that middle eastern kingdom, the one whose ruler asked Dream to take it so that it will never die, was brought back to the material universe.

I was wondering how that happened and why it was brought back?
    I don't think that there was an explanation given, but maybe i didn't notice it.

moralrelativity likes this.
  16. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Does this Superman have ice breath? If so does it work the same way as the cold guns?

17. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

IMO Mr Zoat has always written Supes as more intelligent than he's been portrayed in the comics. I like that. I also like the fact that this Superman has learnt. What you're seeing is evidence of character development.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Have there been any New Gods, that are in your story, from Apokalyps that have defected to the side of New Genesis, or the side of what you may tentatively consider good?

Aside from Barda, Bekka, Himon and any other good Apokalyps born New Gods that i may be unaware of.

You said that Darkseid is basically a high tier New God, wielder of the Omega Force/Effect and has several fragments of the Anti-Life equation.
    I was wondering something about Izaya, aside from him being a high tier New God himself, does he have the Alpha Force/Effect that he has in the comics and does he try to collect fragments of the Life Equation like Darkseid does with his equation, and if he doesn't then what does powers does he have?
    Does the life equation exist in your story?

Is Izaya Darkseids equal, because we don't really see him fight him all that much in the comics, aside from that time in Godhead?
    I am also sorry for mentioning the issue, i just want to know if he is his equal?

How old is Darkseid in your story, in the comics he is supposed to be around 245.000 years old, and when did he discover about the existence of Anti-Life, in the comics he theorised that it may exist when he went to Mars, or has the existence of the equation been known before he was born and he simply made it his goal to get it?

Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  19. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Something else to consider for the league:

Paying people.

I'm not saying recruit mercs, but maybe if they could figure out someway to compensate people for the time and resources invested in being super heroes they could expand their roster and get more hours out of existing members. Not to mention they'd then be able to prevent money issues being used to pressure their members because they're the source of the money.

Not to mention that by taking control of the professional hero game now they can hopefully prevent things getting as ... problematic as the set up in MHA.

Prince Charon, Navi-Hank and nobodez like this.
  20. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

No, no he isn't. Superman was a legit science hero for a good chunk of his existence, he actually knows how to fight, rather then just throw super strength haymakers, and has several villains that require him to outthink them rather then out muscle them.

Hell, All Star Superman is all about Clark using his brain rather than brawn. He legit outsmarts a Luthor who has devised a way to gain Superman's powers.

I believe Zoat has said that this Superman does not have his breath powers as he feels that they do not make sense. That, and I don't think YJ has shown him using them either.

21. Mr Zoat

Because the fellow doing it needed to demonstrate progress in order to get his grant renewed.
    I'm not keen on the ability, but if it does exist then it's literally him breathing out super-cooled air.
    Scott Free?
    I haven't decided.
    Yes, but don't necessarily expect it to be like one particular version from the comics.
    Pass.
    I don't have a firm figure in mind.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I meant New Gods that were BORN and RAISED on APOKALYPS.

Scott was born on New Genesis and raised on Apokalyps.

So are there any New Gods born and raised on that hell world that defected to the side of good, excluding the ones i mentioned in my post above, or are you undecided if you will include any in your story?

And someone literary brought back an ancient civilizations spirit, from the Dream Lord no less, just to get more research money?
    Wow just wow.
    Was that fellow some kind of super genius sorcerer, like if Dr. Sivana dedicated himself to studying magic over physics, instead of focusing on physics but having some knowledge of magic like in your story?

Ngamer11 likes this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Do other worlds have hells of their own, like the one that earth has, that is formed by the thoughts of the First?

I ask because when OL was talking to Ragnars brother he mentioned the First and he seemed to recognise who that was and Satanus mentioned that Ritchie theorised of a way to travel from one worlds Hell to anothers
    So when the First was banished did he only form a hell that is connected to the earth, or did other hells form on other worlds?i

Or was Satanus simply describing an aliens worlds afterlife that serve as some form of punishment instead of something that the First may be responsible for?

24. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Kinda wincing here at this. Sigh. Not one of the better arcs imo. Put's Zoat's League square in the focus and frankly they are the weak link in his story. He pretty much bashes them at every opportunity and mainly uses them for the worf effect to show off the oc. The fact they are so nerfed from their comic counterparts hurts too considering he has buffed about 90% over everything else to equal or above comic standard.

Hopefully we will get a grayven chapter soon those chapters are really all thats keeping me invested in the story.

25. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Ok. Now I want to hear more about this.

So was there like some Ancient History Major studying the citystate and how it just vanished one day, and his thesis ended up being "The King made an ill conceived wish to never die to the God of Dreams, and got his civilisation monkeys pawed into being naught but a dream."

And the Dissertation Committee as like "Wow. Um, yeah. So... We're cutting you off, bro, because apparently you have been smoking the grant money. If you want rent money from now on, your going to need to start doing some scut work for someone respectable with tentue"

And then the Ancient History Major gave a big Kirk, "Noooooooo!" then freaked out and decided to do a Bill & Ted's style Super Mega Awesome History Presentation to save his grade, and gathered some friends to Mantle LARP what he thought the vanished civilisation was like and what happened to it. And then found out that if you can Mantle LARP the characters well enough, you can gain a lifetime's worth of skills without studying. Also superpowers by Mantling LARPing the Court Magi and Seers.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

To Enochi

I think that the renegade chapter will be episode 94, Zoat said during the Field Trip episode that fourteen episodes following that one he will go to Equestria, and the title for ep. 94 is Equestria Girls, after two more paragon chapters.

Zoat basically writes a handful of paragon episodes and then at least one renegade episode.

At least that's how it's been these last several updates.

27. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Also is not so much Zoat nerfing the league as the source league (Young Justice) being pretty substandard. YJ has the league hold and drop the ball as the plot demands and the plot exist to highlight the "side kids".

Ardy, Vorian and Navi-Hank like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

I haven't given it much thought. There are probably a few, but I doubt that they live long.
    It was more a magic researcher doing Dream research. He wanted to keep researching it, but there wasn't much wider interest compared to battle magic. So he was doing some stuff on conceptual empowerment (which is how he got a grant in the first place) and managed to discover these weirdly stable and complex conceptual clusters in the Dream, and... Yeah, then it happened.
    Other worlds often have a Hell-equivalent. We briefly see Krypton's in the comics. Beyond that, I haven't decided.
    I decided that I couldn't do Grayven's trip to Equestria justice in a single episode. Be prepared for double-pony.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"double pony"

This should be interesting.

Will the renegade change upon entering Wilson, like Sunset did when she entered earth?

Are Source worshiping aliens aware of the First of the Fallen?
    Has the First ever visited any alien planets?
    Would it be even possible for him to do so?

30. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Adding on to this, is the Source literally the being that created the Silver City or was it created by someone who worships the Source?