1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Lupercal

Lupercal Not too sore, are you?

Mayby don't throw stones in your glass house mkay? Your the one who has argued, with no supporting evidence, that the imperials building their computers inside gothic architecture a) protects them from chaos scrapcode hacking attacks (this is completely unsupported in the text of any book I own and you have refused to provide any citations) and that b) this would also protect them from ring scans in the same way as DC magic does in this fic (which is complete nonsence).

Also both old and new 40k books can support high end or low end "feats" for the imperium because the setting is a massive multimedia empire at this point.

You obviously are very invested in 40k being able to beat DC/Zoat's SI but that just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  2. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

chaoic -> chaotic, unless it's a technical term?

3. Smartkittykhan

Smartkittykhan Making the rounds.

Mutants?

Also how do the various leaders sponsoring the expedition actually feel about him personally?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2020
    DAT_NOOB likes this.
  4. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

The flesh is weak Zoat
    Andy chambers killed my Fimir

NightmareWarden and Ardy like this.
  5. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

To be fair I would actually expect anyone wielding an orange power ring in 40k to be gobbled up by Slaanesh within a day. But then again I'd also expect someone wielding an orange power ring in DC to end up like Larfleeze, so I'd be willing to allow Zoat the same creative license that makes the character possible to begin with in 40k.

6. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Comma to semicolon.

Exactly the reverse operation. :V

Vaguely surprised it's not "orkoid".

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    The people who know them appear to assume so. I suspect that they're actually female beastmen due to the fact that their animal trait bred true.
    I don't know their characters well enough to accurately represent them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you, corrected.
    'Ork' is 40k.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  8. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Marienburg schooling is bad because it's a city of old money intrigue that has an unfortunate tendency to turn a blind eye to the worship of certain deities, and is more permissive of plausible deniability for worse deities than they ought to. Basically, imagine Deadly Class, but with cultists that have magic more overt than getting naked people to hold still for hours on end.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Not having seen the show, what should I be reading into that nakedness comment?

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Ganurath

One of the higher ups forces people to be living furniture in her office. By her word, they hold still for hours on end through nothing but devotion to being furniture, but muscles don't hold perfectly still for so long.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

The fact you're saying that is evidence that you don't know that 40k's canon policy is that everything is canon, but not everything is fully accurate.

Squats are canon. Their homeworld got eaten by Tyrannids, but some of them managed to survive; there was a bit in the 7e corebook stating that. Additionally, there's a squat model for Necromunda 2e.

I have read the relevant books - the AdMech is one of my favorite armies. Warp-tech is generally considered either archaeotech or tech heresy. There's stuff like force weapons, psyberfamiliars, psychic hoods, the Emperor's Tarot and the like that augment or interact with a user's own psychic powers, but that's not tech that interacts with the Warp directly - and they're really rare, which is why they're typically used by elite forces like Inquisitors or Space Marine Librarians.

Lupercal, Prince Charon, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  12. Ganurath

Whereas is Warhammer Fantasy, everyone's headcanon is canon, and the published canon doesn't have to be canon if you don't want it to be canon.

End Times: Came pre-fucked!

RagnarokAscendant likes this.
  13. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Has the SI not explored the local solar system or recorded any and all incoming radio waves or whatever else may be broadcasting messages through space? If not, why not? Isn't he at all curious as to why this universe has an Orange Ring, the physical underpinnings to make it work, and someone maybe local who maybe had an interest to put him here and give him one?

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  14. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

the what times? no, no fantasy just when on hiatus there was no end times

Mr Zoat likes this.
  15. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Vaermina.

16. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Ah yes. Ophelia from Dragon Commander. Truly a lovely and sweet natured girl. It's terribly difficult to avoid the Dwarf Princess, as I love me a busty red-head that wears glasses . . . But Ophelia is a fine waifu.

Especially once you find a way to restore her to flesh.

[​IMG]

Ardy, BR549, erebus1994 and 5 others like this.
  17. Threadmarks: Equestrian Guise (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

Afternoon
    Equestria

"Grayven!"

I grin as Lightning Dust enthusiastically demonstrates the deployment of a tactical gale on the Canterlot guard contingent and Sunset struggles towards me with a flickering cyan bubble shield protecting her from the worst of it.

"Yes?"

"What…" She looks at me, then the guard, then the billowing clouds, then back at m-.

I step back as an earth pony guard sails past and slams into a wall. Quick check… No, just some bruises.

Sunset stares at his slumped and groaning form, then stares at me.

"What?"

"Okay, so Luna and I dealt with my Anti-Life problem, and-."

"You did? The-." She frowns. "Did Twilight-?"

"No. Luna broke into my dream, accidentally released the Anti-Life fragment, we found the harmony within ourselves-" Hah! "-as well as connections to the emotional spectrum... And we blasted the thing with giant beams of light and no more Anti-Life."

She's looking at me as if she's not sure if I'm taking the Mickey. Or possibly about to explode.

"I did a song and everything. Rhyming couplets verses and a rhyming quintuplet chorus."

She rolls her eyes. "Well if you did a song then clearly there's no more problem."

"Right, exactly. Oh, I meant to ask: can you move the sun?"

She glances up at as much of it as can be seen through the clouds. "Not.. yet."

"No, I mean… As part of a group effort or what have you. I heard the hearthwarming story, about how unicorns used to-" She's shaking her head. "-control the sun and moon without alicorn aid. I thought that you might know the theory."

"I never found anything that said that story was more than a myth. In.. theory? A group of normal ponies could do it. Alicorns are more powerful than regular ponies, but only by about two orders of magnitude. If they knew how and they could all work together perfectly… But I don't know how to do it, it would take a while to work it out if Celestia is as helpful as she usually is and… Frankly, I'd rather turn this system into a nice simple heliocentric system rather than get up before dawn every day."

I smile affectionately as a pegasus guard moonwalks past us.

"That's my girl. Looking for permanent solutions to problems everyone else treats as intractable."

"Agk." She closes her eyes for a moment and holds up her right forehoof and points it at me. "This. All of this, with the guards. Why is it happening?"

"I offered Luna my help in becoming Celestia's equal in fact as well as theory. I thought that helping the guard become relevant would be a good way to achieve that."

"And… How is them fighting a mock battle with the Canterlot Weather Service supposed to achieve that?"

"Oh, this isn't the Canterlot Weather Service. This is one pony." I generate a construct megaphone. "Okay, Lightning Dust! Give them all a break!"

The winds keep blowing for a moment, then the clouds start evaporating. It takes a good deal longer then ten seconds, but gradually the blustering dies down.

Moonwalking pony collapses, panting, as Lightning Dust drops out of the sky to stand smugly next to me.

"These guys are supposed to be the Royal Guard?"

I nod. "I know, right?"

"I mean, I wasn't expecting the Wonderbolts or anything-."

"The Wonderbolts are a display team who are currently zero for two in the major fights they actually turned up for. I hope to do a little better."

She cocks her head to the left. "Zero for two?"

"They fought an infant dragon who had a magical growth spurt and he trapped them in a water tower, and they-"

"Hah hah!"

"-charged Tirek head on and got drained just like everyone else who tried that." I look at her as she snorts in amusement at her former idols' failings. "How is it that you know so much about weather? I wouldn't have thought the subject had much to do with aerobatics."

"It doesn't, but I had to make a living somehow." She looks around to where the guardsponies are picking themselves up from wherever they ended up. "Think they're ready to go again yet?"

"This was more of a demonstration session. We'll have to work out a lesson plan before you go again."

She looks dubious. "I'm… Not really big on paperwork."

"Are you big on unemployment? Because after the stunts you pulled in Wonderbolt training you're unlikely to be invited back. And a conviction for a weather-related offence makes you returning to your former employment in brushland firefighting… Improbable."

Her eyes narrow. "Are you threatening me?"

"Gosh, no. You've upheld your end of the agreement; go with my blessing. If someone hires you or if you start your own enterprise, great! Maybe it'll keep you out of trouble. But if you want a job here then there's going to be paperwork. The aim is to force these ponies to improve, not merely to laugh at their ineptitude."

A degree of the fight appears to leave her. She looks away. "Yeah."

Tempest gets the rest of the guard organised and they start clearing away some of the debris around the training field.

Hm…

"Sunset, how's your setting up going?"

"All ready. I've gotten a few things I was planning on showing the guard." She looks around. "Maybe after they've recovered a little."

"When's Celestia getting back?"

"Late evening. I've got time to deliver a lecture before she gets here. What else are you up to?"

"Lightning Dust's presence is proving rather instructive as to the destructive potential of the pegasus ponies. I've got Tempest over there to handle unicorns. That leaves earth ponies."

Sunset shakes her head. "I told you: there aren't any earth ponies in Equestria who know how to use earth pony magic."

Hm. "How true is the hearthwarming myth?"

"Which part?"

"The migration. Luna implied that it was at least partially true, but…"

"Ah… Maybe? History wasn't really my subject, but as far as I remember there's a definite pattern of settlement from the north heading south. And there's no fossil record of cave ponies or anything like that, so unless we were created by some ancient wizard our ancestors probably came over the pole at some point."

I nod.

"So there could be other ponies on the other side of the planet?"

Lightning Dust frowns. "Wouldn't the windigos have just frozen them all?"

Sunset shakes her head. "There's never been a confirmed sighting of a windigo. And even if the Hearth's Warming story is true, the windigos followed our ancestors to Equestria. If there was anyone left behind and they survived the cold until the windigos were destroyed, they would probably have managed just fine." She looks at me. "You think there might be ponies over there who know earth pony magic."

"Yep. And it certainly can't hurt to check."

Boom!

"Wanna come with me?"

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'a song and everything' not 'a song any thing'

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Grayven is going to have a new name when this is over.

Windigo bait.

20. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well, looks like Grayven is getting his own "Pony team".

A pegasus Lighting Dust, a Unicorn, Sunset Shimmer and now an Earth pony...

Too bad he doesn't know about Maud Pie. She is the strongest Earth Pony ever.

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Okay. Officially don't know what's going on or what anyone is talking about anymore. We've reached peak MLP so maybe I should just bow out until Zoat gets this out of his system.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Is Maud Pie going to feature in this or any other potential future episode about Equestria?

Wonder how she would get along with Raven if they ever meet?

24. Korfayron

Korfayron Making the rounds.

A little sad there wasn't a WHF Paol update.

Alexandercctv, Ardy and Gantradies like this.
  25. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Grayven needs another Unicorn and Pegasus for the team. I suggest Trixie and Derpy or Lyra and Rain Drops (Luna-verse HOOOOO!!).

Lupercal, moralrelativity and Darko like this.
  26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Google is your friend.;)

27. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

I don't think he'd change it, he's already established, and we don't know what Darkseid's reaction to losing the Anti-Life is going to be. He could take on a second name, or a surname? Not Lynne's though, "Grayven Weyland" sounds terrible. Maybe an Epithet like the Greek and Roman gods had in order to distinguish himself from Apokolips Grayven? For example, you have Zeus as the main god, but then you have his manifestations: for example Zeus Agoraeus, who's a protector of trade, Zeus Horkios, who guarantees oaths, or Zeus Olympios, who rules over the other gods.

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Well, we know there is Saddle Arabia and Neighpon and both are implied to be outside Equestria.

And given Bat-ponies, Kirin etc. I think it's pretty clear that there are several cousin-species living in their own countries everywhere.

29. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Given how much it knows about each and every one of us, it's either a good friend or a particularly persistent stalker. Or possibly both.

Alexandercctv, Ardy, topin89 and 3 others like this.
  30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, back to the Pony planet. Bring on the laughs!

Ooof. Looks like there's a lot of training in their future.

Yeah, sometimes "What?" is the only question possible.

Pfft, who needs that poser? A complete rookie with Harmony.

No twitching eyebrow yet? Just wait, see if you can manage it.:V

Geez, you could bottle that sarcasm, it was so thick.

Well, that is a future possibility...

Wilson probably was, until Discord came along...

Ah, the proud mentor. The second-best side of Grayven. One guess what the best is.

Just have to show them how weak they are, first. Though some of them already know that...

"One pony? What?"

Ranbow Dash, she ain't.

Yes, embarrassing, isn't it? The cream of the crop of Equestria's largely non-existent military...

I really doubt they're much for actual fighting. Courageous, but not outstanding.

Admittedly, he was fifty meters tall or so at that point.

I just assumed all pegasi had some training in weather manipulation... Then again, that guard didn't have a clue...

Ah, guess what you'd be doing plenty of in the Wonderbolts...

"No, merely stating facts. If I were threatening you, you'd know it."

Hmm... Wonder if she will stick around...

Presumably well, or she wouldn't be here. I doubt she'd take a break until she fell asleep...

Oh, this could be fun... A pity it'll happen off-screen, but I'm sure Mr Zoat doesn't want to try and write a lecture on Equestrian Thaumatology.

Not outside of their natural strength, anyway.

I wonder if she was personally there or it was recent history for her...

...Jut how likely is that possibility?

Oooh, Trans-continental road-trip!

Assuming there is any learnable kind of Earth Pony Magic...

Once again, leaping into the unknown without any forethought. Third-best Grayven.

:sneaky:So, folks, on a scale of 'just fine' to 'oh god the sky is on fire!': How badly do you think this will go?:p