1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Making a copy of his orange ring shouldn't be that difficult. The first time it was mentioned in the fic the paragon believed it would take over a month of continuous work to make a copy of the orange ring... Now he is orders of magnitude stronger, his soul is mostly raw avarice (hence why he is an elemental snake in the heaven episode) and he is enlightened, it should take significant less amount of work to copy it.

Making a new ring from nothing is extremely difficult, copying a ring is very difficult, turning a construct lantern into a ring is slightly easier.

If Paul wants he can totally join the controllers and start to print rings because I think the controllers are being efficient with their time, thus they are likely copying a template not making a new one out of nothing.

Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  2. Threadmarks: Duplication (part 22)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Early spring, 2280
    Late morning

**PeoplePlaceConversationsThoughtsActionsEvents.**

I lay the zetan thought storage unit back down on my desk. My agents on the East Coast have done a heroic job, especially under the circumstances. But… Things have come to a point I was hoping to avoid, at least for a little while.

Thirty seven years since the destruction of the Poseidon oil rig. Thirty five or so since the NCR/Brotherhood alliance overran the main Enclave base at Navarro, killing everyone they could, military or civilian. Three years since the 'death' of President Eden, leaving President Franklin Anderson in charge of the only significant cohesive group of Enclave-loyalists on the continent.

I do so hate pointless killing.

I **erase** the storage device and slide it back into its compartment in my desk. I'm going to have to accelerate things. Which is going to be awkward, but if I want to continue not being that sort of telepath, nudging people into doing the right thing is the most I can do. And it does have certain limits as a method.

I get up and walk out of the former base commander's office, heading towards where I can feel the mind of one of Groom Lake's refugees-turned-citizens. 'Chuck Holtz' and his small band of companions arrived out of the desert from the direction of Desert Ranger territory three years ago, though for perfectly understandable reasons they avoided the base itself until after I removed the Whisperers from power. Though none of them have been willing to take advantage of the neurotropic initiator, they're all far more technically competent than most of the region's other inhabitants and they're all perfectly willing to pitch in. Good people, all of them.

I knock on the open door to his office for a moment before I stick my head inside, causing him to look up from his work orders with a smile.

"Krono. Intercom busted again?"

I bow my head with a smile. If I'm honest, I don't understand micro vacuum tube based technology much better than the tribals do. The system which the zetans use operates rather differently, but I've hesitated to completely rework Groom Lane so most of the systems -though upgraded- are essentially still made of pre-war technology.

"No. Alright, I didn't check. Have you got a moment? I need a quick word."

He makes a shrugging movement with his hands. "Sure thing, chief. What do you need?"

I step inside, firmly shut the door behind me and telekinetically grip the air around the walls of the office, causing what little external sound reaches us here to drop away. His smile fades a little and he straightens up.

"Serious talk, then."

"Yes, Captain Douglas Granite, I'm rather afraid that it is."

His expression grows a little distant as I use his real name, then he nods slowly.

"Yeah, I guess it was a bit much to think we could keep a secret from a bunch of mind readers."

"I try not to read too deeply, but I needed to make sure that the squad of unusually well educated men and women weren't Brotherhood Knights here to sabotage us. Most of what I know about you actually comes from my personal interactions with you. And.. reports from the people I've had keeping tabs on Doctor Anderson."

He looks.. torn for a moment, then-.

I raise my right hand.

"Conquering Vault City was a severe misstep. There aren't enough caps in the wasteland to make the New California Republic miss two major trading partners being overrun by people with stars-on-blue emblems on their power armour."

He nods sadly. "I scrubbed it off mine before I ditched it."

"We can pick it up, if you like."

He shakes his head. "It won't be good for anything now. Sand will have wrecked it." He looks at me for a moment. "I guess your… Friends in the NCR clued you in?"

"No, but it.. hardly matters. Given.. Doctor Anderson, I'm not exactly going to be sad to see him defeated."

He sighs, and nods. "He said on the campaign trail that the only thing Richardson did wrong was lose."

"Quite. But I'm.. disquieted at the idea of the NCR carrying out another extermination campaign, which is almost certainly what will happen when they finally win. And… Then there's the East Coast. Tell me, does the name 'Augustus Autumn' mean anything to you?"

He hesitates, then appears to concede to himself that there's very little point in trying to hide anything from me.

"Yeah. He was a.. senior researcher at one of the Enclave's science facilities. I don't know exactly what he did there. I just.. remember him because after the fall of Navarro he rallied a whole lot of Enclave personnel and headed for the east coast. Don't think I ever heard why. I guess he wanted to try and set up camp somewhere away from anyone who already had a grudge. Do you know what happened to him?"

"Oh, he died of a stroke over a decade ago. His son Colonel Augustus Autumn Junior leads the Enclave survivors in the area now. He's.. more your sort. Unfortunately, he got into a fight with the local Brotherhood chapter over a novel water purification technology, and… They had Liberty Prime."

"They-." His eyes light up. "Hot damn! I didn't think that thing every really got built! I had a toy-." He cuts himself off and takes a moment to calm himself. "Sorry."

"Apparently, the Brotherhood weren't feeling particularly vengeful. Autumn and his surviving soldiers were allowed to evacuate the region, but with the destruction of their headquarters they're…" How to put this? "Feeling lost. And while the east coast doesn't have quite the same level of hatred for the Enclave that the west coast does, they didn't exactly make themselves popular."

"You got a plan to help them?"

I nod. "And it depends on you. I can get the materials required for them to set up a settlement well away from any of the many people out for their-. Your blood. But I need someone dependable to ride herd on them. The FEV Plague wouldn't have hurt me, but I'm rather attached to a lot of people it would have killed."

"And the NCR's okay with you doing that."

"The NCR… Are aware that upon occasion people come to me… Who have fought them in the past and no longer wish to do so, but who will not surrender to them. They accept that, as long as no one does anything too blatant."

He thinks for a moment. "So, what? We just settle down and fade out of history? I mean, that's what I was planning on doing, but I wasn't going to do that until all the other choices got snatched away."

"Captain-."

He shakes his head. "Douglas is fine."

"Douglas. Do you believe in the ideal of America, or the reality of America?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"Is it enough to establish a thing you can call 'America', regardless of its characteristics, or do you actually want to restore America as it should be?"

"You wouldn't be talking to me if it was the first one."

"Oh, I might." I look away for a moment. "It would be a rather different conversation… The point is, I think that between the west coast and the east coast we've established that the quick and violent method isn't going to work for the Enclave. But, there's nothing to stop you re-establishing the United States of America in the way it was originally established. Build up and spread out. Teach your people idealism and have them share it. Greet your neighbours with an open hand and not a gun barrel. It will take generations, but the difference is that it might actually work."

"The NCR?"

"The legitimate successor to the State of California, a state in the United States. Anderson might call himself 'President', but he wasn't elected by the pre-war electoral college."

"That would have been a little difficult to run."

"Then to become the legitimate president, one would need to fix that first."

He nods slowly. "What sort of supplies have you got for us?"

"Enough to see you through the first year. I also managed to acquire a Gardens of Eden Creation Kit-."

"Where the hell did you get that from?"

"From Tlaloc, as part payment for maintenance that was two hundred years overdue. Do you-?"

The ring on my necklace lights up in brilliant orange.

Oh, heck. Broadcast!

**This is Krono. Highest defensive condition. Bring the Dream Twister online at once.**

Douglas winces at the force of my mental intrusion. "What-? That some kinda alien-?"

"It was foolish to think that humans were alone in the universe. It was even more foolish to assume that the zetans were the only others. I think that the people who abducted me are coming back."

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'partners' not 'partner'

4. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Ok, now this is impressive.

Also, dun dun DUUUUUUUUUN.

Falcon_Striker, Ardy, Relyt33 and 5 others like this.
  5. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

Holy crap! Is this where the lanterns banished him to?

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Probably not seeing as Paul said they sent him to a universe where his powers or rings won't work, but this version was able to use his ring, so either it is something else, or the various Paul's screwed up.

7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Someone opened a portal to him using the orange light?

So Krona vs Kronos or the Paul Corps are exploring the multi-verse?

8. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Maybe they're distributing lanterns.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well in the first April Fools episode some of those versions, like the Avatar one, Captain Planet one, and Panda one, did seem to be exploring the multiverse, except the MLP one whose version of Equestria was located in DC, so maybe this is something like this, though I'm pretty sure it's going to be involved with Krona somehow.

Ardy, Zeroguard, Navi-Hank and 2 others like this.
  10. david

david Getting sticky.

Well, strictly speaking the entities and light sources might not be there and the only way to get more charge to rings is to cross dimensions. That seems a bit flimsy though and I wouldn't bet the multiverse on Krona not being able to cross dimensions with Fallout tech.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

If that's Krona it looks like the other Paul's miscalculated.

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Good to see his field of operations has improved. The equivalent of a late-game turn, I suppose.

When it wastes good people and useful resources, you always should. Unfortunately, many people aren't so sharp.

It's always tempting, isn't it? To skip the diplomatic path and just make people do what you think they should?

Ah. This is going to involve someone's real name, isn't it? It never feels good to have to expose someone's secrets and regrets.

I doubt he cares to use it. Krono!Paul strikes me as the sort of person who prefers face-to-face conversations. If only to avoid confusion.

A discreet word, if you will. And not something you'd want to risk anyone overhearing due to a glitchy intercom?

Now that's a cone of silence. And visible enough that he can see it? That's a strong effect.

Dun-dun-Duuuun! Uh, who? Not a Fallout player... I'm guessing an original character, regardless.

Gee, you think?:rolleyes: Even if they have a code of ethics, sometimes you can just think too 'loud' about something...

Ah, part of a unit with a reputation. And he's worried that Krono is going to judge him on that reputation first? I thought he knew Krono.

Now, how violent was that action? Was it the sort of 'I've seen things' violent? Enough to make someone, and his loyal squadmates, decide to desert?

Ah. That kind of violent, indeed.

Inferring from references, this Anderson guy is practically the second coming of Hitler? Or at least the last person you want in charge of a major polity.

Depending on where he was deployed, I assume it does?

So, a nice guy, or just someone wanting privacy for Science!?

I know enough Fallout to recognise that. Part of Fallout 3's DLC, yes? And Liberty Prime is... 'Curbstomp' is a charitable result of it being deployed...

I'm guessing send 'Chuck' here east with a care package of tech.

"What the NCR doesn't know won't hurt them. Unless it needs to."

A quite retirement probably sounds nice, but this world... It isn't that pleasant...

Interesting question. It puts me in mind of OL's "What do you want?" Is Krono planning on setting him up to forge a more civilised East Coast?

Direct, isn't he? Man's got a sense of politics.

I think it might go better if you greet with an open hand, and a gun in close reach. It's a nice dream, though.

Silly idea, anyway. I suspect this Anderson fellow might not give up what power he's claimed, even if the people asked him to.

In other words, Krono is encouraging Dougie here to establish peace and freedom, the polite way.

I take it that's something very useful. The equivalent of a small-scale terraforming system?

I take it that's impressive?

Oh, dear. That's... not good? I'm guessing a portal from Time Trapper got a little diverted?

Ooh. I doubt he can cadge some charge off the other Pauls, unless one of them has a Lantern... Still, I expect this is going to be interesting...

I'll admit, a lot of this chapter went over my head, not being a Fallout fan. Whatever happens, This should be significant, in relation to what Mr Zoat's said about it previously. Either Krona's inbound at the speed of White, or someone misdialled a portal...

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You mean Krona right?

Because if it is Korona... then it may not be the best thing to say right now, just saying.

15. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

too many ups?

16. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

I don't think a new disease would be a big problem for the wasteland.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Interesting. The Old World Blues, digging around Area 51 can cause a New Plague outbreak... Which each nation can cure within a few months, something that was impossible before the war. Which struck me as odd when I got the event, because medical technology, communication and transportation should all be worse post-war than pre-war. Maybe the lack of people means that diseases don't spread that efficiently?

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Zoat is paragon going to talk to his common sense counterpart in the next few chapters?

What sort of things has common sense been doing to improve his version of Earth 16, aside from getting governments more interested in what the wider universe holds after talking to that politician about Apokalips and Byalia and why the US doesn't have records on alien species and cultures despite the fact Atlantis does?

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Mr Zoat

The SI..? Talk to common sense?
    I haven't thought about it in much detail.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You might be thinking of something else, because there wasn't really much about the New Plague in the game outside of cut Van Buren stuff.

AngelicKnight. likes this.
  21. Phrexia Unbound

Phrexia Unbound Oooh...that's good.

Link please?

22. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Assuming you're not making a joke
    parapaul talking to the paul that made common-sense decisions

Darko likes this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If you're asking a question and not just joking then it's the one that made those common sense decisions, like telling Wonder Woman his age, training with Jordan, removing the poison from Jades lips, prevented that training fiasco with the telepathy from happening etc.

It would be nice for the SI to learn how he's doing and how he solved some of the issues paragon may have faced, like how Sybarite is going about improving his version of Earth 16, like say did common sense mine asteroids like paragon did and then use them to buy LexCorp or some of Savages companies, or just somehow get Scandal to work for him, because I don't think she really cared all that much about her father and she kinda ran his companies from the shadow, so getting her to work for him could be a way to remove some of Savages resources well as get some advanced tech on the market, like the Cosmic Convertor that Savage was preventing from going on the market out of spite, or altering Luthors thought process like he did with Mammon to remove some of his more self destructive and illogical tendencies, like thinking the Light, and the actions they are performing, are somehow a good idea and not the half baked schemes and 'plans' of the universes most lucky idiot i.e. Vandal Savage.

Seriously when they showed what the Light and Savages plans were in season 3 I couldn't honestly think for a few moments before I just classified them as Retard Masters Supreme of Dumbfuckery, I mean just, wow, wow...

Funnily there is a fanfic on SB called Psychonautics where the SI calls Savage 'that old man too stupid to die'.

Don't know how to make a link, but just search fro the first April Fools episode and click on 'Blight up your life' for the Captain Planet one.

Vorian likes this.
  24. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

‘loom thing’ -> ‘looming thing’

Hell's Razer likes this.
  25. Mr Zoat

How is it possible to looming without loom? You'd just be ing.

26. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

What??? Is this some British joke I’m too uncivilised to understand?

Anyways, the Exaltations episode hasn’t been threadmarked on the archive thread.

Edit: the second snippet has been threadmarked instead of the first.

27. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Not sure why Autumn would go to Granite, honestly. Since this isn't regular Fallout but the Fallout of the OWB mod, I'd figure Autumn and all those vertibirds full of Enclave personnel that evacuated Adams Air Force base would have made a beeline for the Chicago Enclave. Which is supposed to be the dominant power in the American Midwest.

And while he was willing to use clean water as a carrot to entice regular wastelanders into joining the Enclave, Autumn was still genocidal when it came to super mutants and ghouls.

Though, to be fair, even the "nice" President in Enclave Reborn can totally reject mutants while accepting wastelanders. Or just treat wastelanders like second class citizens.

28. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Unfortunately we have no frame of reference to determine if he has already been through the crisis event or is just referencing his transport from Earth Prime to Earth Fallout.

Ardy likes this.
  29. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

I think this SI iteration was actually Inserted into a fan project-
    a Fallout total conversion mod for a TBS game from memory, not the actual “prime” bethseda canon setting (or the ore-alteration BIS period)

... also, why bother planning to offer Autumn a chance?
    the men and women stuck serving under him maybe, after psychic testing to ensure they weren’t cut from the same cloth, but... the man was a full on genocidal lunatic, a torturer- and there’s an excellent chance that the majority of the soldiers he took with him learn more towards horrigian’s level of psychopathy the towards the New Vegas Reminent’s... well... not-psychopathy. It literally might be more effort then it’s worth if that version of Paul is refraining from invasively offensive psi attacks/ adjustment...

to paraphrase King, if the majority of the enclave survivors died in the wasteland/were tried and executed by the NCR (actual trials not the kangaroo court Arcade can be dragged to in a potential ending to NV), it’d be “no great loss for humanity”...

Ardy likes this.
  30. Mr Zoat

A language may have rules but the as a rule spoken language doesn't follow them.
    Thank you, corrected.
    At the time I wrote it, they didn't exist yet. If it matters, you could assume that the Sky Walkers assisted the Midwest Brotherhood in dealing with them
    Ghouls do turn feral, and there are far more dumb and violent super mutants than civilised ones. Even Marcus wanted to dip everyone he met. Autumn's opinions aren't that usual in the wasteland.