1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Might be wise to avoid the conclusion jumping...

How do you know this thing's magical? Might be an alien with an eye fetish and a heavy-duty hologram generator? Or, an extra-planar entity of some sort, that isn't magical (using Bleed-based powers?), and has motivations so weird you've no chance of understanding them? Or???

Do they know what the priests did with all the eyes? Were they carefully cooled and placed in 'sacred jars'?

Or, maybe it's an invisible space-shark, in which case, you should definitely jump it. :)

Vorian and Darko like this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Like that TNG episode with the conwoman.

The priests could have stored the eyes someplace and that is how this thing can affect the physical world, seeing as apparently eyes floated up before merging into gigantic ones, but I have my doubts as the two women he recruited most likely also destroyed several if not most of the temples there.

3. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

We can safely assume that the Orange Lantern Corps have done their homework, and correctly identified as a god, or a at least a highly powerful enityt powered by arcane energy who may have dominion over or be powered by a concept or concepts.

The Sword can kill anything and everything and reincarnate them as powerless humans - so the Eyes would definitely be susceptible to it if they are a god. We can also conclude they aren't a Lovecraftian entity or something akin to the King of Tears, because their rings' database would tell them so. Dox would certainly have checked.

In the situation that it is a Lovecraftian being, the sword may be able to kill it. It depends on how divorced from the normal planes it is. I mean Lovecraftian in the sense that it is anti-thetical to the understanding of any non-Lovecraftian being, and not in the sense of cosmic scale. In a world where bona fide Old and New Gods exist, I don't believe that such a definition is applicable anymore. If it is sufficiently anti-logic (i.e. the system that comprises the universe), it may simply end up with the sword being broken.

Also, what were the properties of the sword OL bought from Catwoman in Boys in Gotham?

Ardy, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it may be just a strong magical sword, but I don't know if it can harm things like gods.

Considering that Mister Gotham had a VERY large collection of mystic objects it is possible the sword is very powerful, though probably not a godkiller type weapon.

If OL tries to get a godkilling weapon in the future then there is Kagutsuchi's sword that killed Tsukiyomi, or the Godkiller Hephaestus forged in the n52

Ardy likes this.
  5. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Heck in the DCU they beat what was basically an Elder God with just a few Superheros and Doctor Fate help.

It seems that in DC powerful extra planar beings lose a lot of power when they manifest their body in the DC Universe.

Hence why Raven's daddy needs her at all. And Raven is not affected because being half human she was actually born in the universe.

david and Darko like this.
  6. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Yes

Jaron and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Both stories are true, along with all supporting evidence. If you time traveled, you might find that multiple time lines merge. That, or just the legends happen in the dream and evidence popped up along with the god.
    Something like that? How does it work?

erebus1994 likes this.
  8. ikrakro

ikrakro Getting out there.

Alright, Paul is taking more people into space! I really hope he offers Euanthe a trip to meet Queen Hyathis, Lantern Medphyll, and/or Lantern Mother of Mercy.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Hmm. Arthur being raised in America might not endear him to the idea of Cyprian going his own way. Could depend on just how idealistic he is, but I think you're just as likely to run into a mentality of, "Grr! Secession bad!"

Those who would otherwise encourage you to leave tend to have double standards when they're the ones being left.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  10. Threadmarks: In Order
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Day 341
    It's always dawn somewhere

Ideally, in an organisation, no one should be irreplaceable. At any moment, an individual may be struck ill, fall dead, or get a better offer. As such, it is necessary to arrange things that the functionality of the organisation may be maintained despite the absence of anyone, even if that means that an individual of superlative skill may not be able to exercise it to the greatest extent.

"… cover this up, Khoah! The whole patrol saw a giant hand reach down out of a hole in the sky and grab him!"

I knew that, of course. But I've been so busy keeping everyone alive that I hadn't fully considered what it meant for me. I rather assumed that I would either be here or I would be dead, in which case the ring would go to Pumyra. The idea that I might be taken alive with the ring never occurred to me. Talking to some of my more politically experienced alter egos…

"I know. But if it becomes known that he might not be coming back, people will panic."

"So-?!"

"Take the patrol on a mission to the City. Make sure to take a full inventory of any materials we could take from it. That will buy us a few weeks with no more than quiet rumours."

With the danger of immediate starvation or invasion beaten off, I think that now is the time to address matters of governance.

"And then?"

"And then if he has not returned we will have to learn to live without him."

I transition downwards, appearing in the small meeting room with them.

"Fortunately, that-"

Pumyra's hand is on her knife immediately, while Khoah is sliding her chair back to stand.

"-won't be necessary. Though this does raise an interesting point about continuity planning." I cause my eyes to flare with yellow light. "The owner of the hand will no longer be an issue. Khoah, your plan was sound."

"Ah, thank you, my-."

I step closer, pulling her into my embrace and firmly pressing my lips to hers. She moulds herself into me, her fears evaporated by the physical confirmation of my existence.

"Lord Protector, you need to go outside so that people can see you."

I pull back from Khoah, her eyes brimming with… Not.. love, that's… Faith.

I'm...

"Quite right. Walk with me, both of you."

I turn away and stride towards the door, pushing it open and being mildly pleased as the two guards stationed there take a half-step away as they see me.

"As you were."

My residence isn't a large building. It's not a fort or guard post and building materials are still at a premium. As a result it's only a short march to the exterior doors, which I throw open in a display of vigour. Worried people look around, hoping for some direction from their leaders and instead see me.

"I'm fairly certain that you all have assigned duties which you should be performing. Be about them."

And they're going, and while there's an air of guilt and fear from most, there's also… Relief.

"Hm."

I fold my arms across my chest. Here's as good a place for this discussion as anywhere, and it won't be a problem if the people with a good reason to be here overhear it.

I turn back as Khoah and Pumyra come through the door.

"The Thunderan tradition is that the king reigns until infirmity or death claim him, then he is succeeded by his eldest legitimate son. Without a woman of my own species I can't have children, and I'm not convinced of the value of hereditary rulership anyway."

Pumyra nods approvingly.

"Khoah, you will begin forming a governing council. Select a representative from each farm and project and gather them together each week to discuss any issues they're having. You are empowered to deal with them as you see fit. I will be taking a step back from governance to allow our people to become accustomed to following your direction."

She nods. "My lord."

"Once the system has the confidence of the people, I will award you the title of 'mayor' and codify our precise legal relationship. As of now, you are my heir designate."

She nods again.

"Pumyra, select your most competent lieutenant and train them how to perform your current duties. Once they are up to your standard, I will begin training you in the use of this ring. This is not intended to cast aspersions upon Khoah, but her skills do not lie in the direction of inspiring fear. Tell me, what was your solution to your soldiers spreading rumours?"

"Long range.. 'scouting'."

She inclines her head very slightly, and we both know that they wouldn't have come back.

"Precisely."

I turn away from them, looking not at the remaining lollygaggers but at the homes and warehouses, and further away the fields.

"During my time away I gained access to a large quantity of useful data. Our next large community project will be our own iron mine, but first I have a more esoteric project of my own to complete."

I take the Sword of Plun-Darr out of its sheath and look at the soul stone on its crosspiece.

"It should be possible for me to use this to create a more efficient method for recharging the ring. I will be spending as much time working on that as possible. When I am successful, I will be able to become far more active. I intend to explore this region of the universe to attempt to locate people who have more information on Mumm-Ra."

"Like who?"

"If the story Lion-O told us about his visions of this world's past was accurate, Mumm-Ra attacked numerous worlds prior to your ancestors' revolt. I hope that there were survivors, or at the very least records we could use."

Possibly other creatures like him. Because I'm very curious about how he works. And what the heck he is.

"I am pleased with the way you handled my absence, and I will endeavour not to be grabbed by giant hands in future."

"Please."

I turn back and smile at Khoah.

"One last thing before you both go." I take a pair of thundrillium rings out of subspace and go down on my left knee. "Khoah, will you marry me?"

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So the various Paul's shared databases?

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You have a power ring, if you want to have kids with her you can have kids with her.

13. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

He probably finds it unnecessary and wasteful.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He isn't a geneticist even though he may have a large amount of data right now so he may think altering her biology to be too risky.

Plus he is perfectly content with having adoptive children.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  15. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Should the second "I" be "it"?

Change "intent" to "intend".

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And that sounds like a quote from someone famous. It's also good advice for any group.

Ah, good to see he was smart enough to get advice from his counterparts, other than OL.

And it looks like Khoah is showing her stuff in a crisis. Most excellent

Will, to damp down the grief of his loss? Understandable.

Glomp incoming in three, two...

One. Damn, that's a strong bond. Even OL and his Jade don't show that much Violet.

Yes, yes you should be. Don't mess up with her, man.

Probably shock at seeing him alive as much as 'how the hell'd he get past us?'

Well, that's one way to get people's attention. Attention they want to see.

Probably going to be celebrations soon, as word spreads.

Making those arrangements of functionality, eh? About damn time, I expect some will say.

Yaul, you have a power ring, and one that should be at full charge right now. It should not be hard to do some engineering of the genetic kind... And I doubt there's that much incompatibility between Thunderan and Human. The Ring's AI should be up to it...

The local farms and such begin close enough that weekly isn't a significant travel time for them? Anything more than half a day's ride might be tougher, unless they stay overnight.

Good plan. She seemed to be taking charge of things in his brief absence.

A good idea, especially if he has specs and data on creating new rings, even as a deputy protocol mode.

Harsh. Says a lot about her, doesn't it... I know she has an excuse but still...

Taking in all he's built, eh? With the aid of all the people...

Oh-ho, he's taking OL's advice about making his own lantern, eh? He should have the specs now.

Off-world plans, eh? No wonder he's making changes to the local government processes.

And I find myself wondering whether he was typical of his race, or an outcast criminal...

With more charge, he's got options at least.

Another thing some people will be saying "About damn time!" To. Congratulations!

Well, another happy ending for another Paul. I'm guessing we're going to get looks at others as the episode goes on... I'm looking forwards to Gaul and his new Gold Ring... That will be fun.

17. david

david Getting sticky.

When you don't understand how it works, you don't want your children to be a product of saying "put these incompatible and alien genes together in a way that makes sense."

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

One of the reasons Khoah and Yaul can show more love to each other compared to Jade and Paul could be the fact that Khoah was an ordinary farmer before she met Yaul while Jade was an assassin with an abusive past, so she is less inclined to showing positive emotions and may still be somewhat cautious, even though she is beginning to show more violet in her speech.

Prince Charon, Chirox, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  19. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

Plus him having to deal with the bobble-head malware, low ring power, and using fear to gene-splice some kids seems risky at best.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm paraphrasing my boss at my first 'proper' post-university job, who said that I needed to keep our SOP bible up to date in case I got hit by a car.
    I was mildly peeved that I couldn't find a good updated Mumm-Rana picture to link to here.

21. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Huh. I feel incredibly sorry for this version of Paul now. A wedded partner who you can’t cry in front of, lest their faith in you be broken? Someone who will doubt themselves every time you acknowledge your own weaknesses? Sounds hellish, torturous and I say that as someone without a spouse.

I acknowledge that Khoah is more we’l-rounded than that (especially since she has been reunited with her children), but... it makes me compare Paul to a dictator in North Korea. Hmm.

22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I think it was in the Laundry Files books were I read, roughly: bureacracy strives to provide a system that works even if people die and are replaced by incompetent ones.

It is the enemy of efficiency in the name of security.

No one is unique or irreplacable or otherwise you already screwed up.

Good to see the Pauls are mature enough to know and heed this.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This Paul isn't a petty and childish dictator.

He's a highly intelligent man that really wants his people to prosper and be safe and is doing things that actually benefit them.

24. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I found another typo and edited it into my comment.

It's interesting that Yaul has only been here for less than a year, while the main SI has been around for a year and 9 months now. Maybe new Pauls will always be appearing in universes that don't have one yet, and that could lead to interesting ideas if explored. Like an episode in which the SI travels to an alternate universe and meets a version of himself that has only just arrived.

TodaBruh and Darko like this.
  25. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Question: is the content of this video - - true for either the official DC universe or this fic?

I'm trying to come up with a hypothesis that permits multiple Universe 16's simultaneously. At this stage, I'm thinking that Grayven-verse is -16 not +16, but nobody's figured out how to tell the difference yet.

Vorian and Xmaster3000 like this.
  26. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

I wonder if these pictures work for 2011 Mumm-Ra?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=======
    =======
    =======

As for the whole having kids thing . . . I mean . . . It's always possible that Yaul doesn't want to have kids?

There's a certain appeal into being with a woman without the risk of pregnancy or STDs.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He already has kids with her, Willytab and Willykin.

Sure they're not his biological kids, but I'm pretty sure he will grow to love them as his children and they will love him as their father.

28. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, it just makes them look pedantic and stupid. Seriously, if I wrote about the adventures of Icthuperman and the Icthstice Ictheague to avoid copyright, the judge wouldn't even bother sitting down before telling me to knock it of and GTFO.

Cuchulin, Xmaster3000 and Jaron like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Those are pictures of Mumm-Ra 2011, so... Yes. But I was looking for something I could use for Mumm-Rana 2011.
    Thundera doesn't really have contraception. Khoah would consider the two of them not having children to be a failing, probably on her part.
    [Considers that both chimps and cats can get AIDS]

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If Khoah considers their inability to have children to be her fault then Yaul would correct her that it isn't her fault and the reason they can't have children is because they are not members of the same species, before giving her a kiss and a hug and telling her to never blame herself for things which are out of her control.

He seems like a sweet guy, brutal ruling methods aside.

Rebu likes this.