1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey we saw Satanus get taken down and Paul got a way to find Amon, getting Mammon to tell him.

Also he ensured the Light lost another member and Hell can get better.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

I disagree. The evidence clearly indicates that this is a test of what happens when you vie a ring to a large ham pretending to be a merchant.

3. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That still doesn't justify his mass resurrection plan involving a method that he knew was flawed and made people insane.

Anyway, I hope we get a Grayven chapter soon.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He did use criminals for the ressurection experiments to see how it works before he tried it on the non criminals.

Ardy and infinityDivided like this.
  5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Which, given most criminals go to hell, was a flawed experiment from the get go.

6. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

"DO YOUR JOB, ASSHOLE" with a side-order of 'This is bad customer service'
    Very nice.

Looks like it was a critical hit, too.
    If only he was more competent.

IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  7. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

i mean, for all his quirks and flaws, he's happy to delegate/very capable of delegation,seems to take keeping to a contract/providing good service seriously, and seems to have commissioned/surrounded himself with VERY capable subordinates...

8. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

And had he stopped when things started to go terribly wrong I would accept that.

Instead the guy decided to piss of both Hell and Heaven just because.

Enough about this.

Anyone wants to think what Paul would be in gender reversed DC? Would he explore being female or what?

9. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

IIRC there is a parallel Earth where all the superheroes were female so OL genderswapped him/herself.
    I could also see our version trying out being female for a day just to see what it's like.

10. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That doesn't exist unless you count those omakes I wrote ages ago.

Unless Paula was part of the recent crisis and I missed it?

Ardy likes this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Only one of those criminals he resurrected went to actual Hell, the others went to their religions version of a horrible afterlife, but not the Judeo Christian Hell.

Even if others went to Hell that is an issue he can deal with. He was taken by surprise when he went to Hell after he brought that guy back to life, but if it was just an ordinary demon and no Hell portal occurred then destroying said demon would be childs play.

If some of the other souls went to Hell then them getting brought back to life is good because it deprives Hell of potential demons if these souls are capable of turning into demons, it deprives them of materials that demons can forge from broken souls and it gives the mortal world knowledge on how Hell damages souls so they can figure out a way to heal said damage.

He did stop his experiments when that guy came back as a demon. The other time something went wrong was when that one guy dissolved and I don't think they brought his soul back, just regenerated his body.

Paul also has ways to deal with Hell and its demons and he wasn't exactly pissing of Heaven as the souls he was bringing back to life were either in Hell or in another pagan afterlife, not in Heaven.

He, and basically every superhero and decent person n the planet, are already pissing demons of with the whole trying to stop them from spreading evil in the world thing.

If you try to live a decent life and encourage other people to do so then you are pissing demons of.

Heaven also may be split on the decision on whether or not to be pissed seeing as they were running experiments in order to rehabilitate souls that don't involve torturing them, so seeing as they figured out their old fashioned approach of hellfire was not working they were trying a more reasonable way. Some of the Angels may approve of what he was doing, rehabilitating damned souls, and while there are those among them who would be pissed, that traitor angel king and Karrien, they are most likely pissed with the majority of humanity for not living up to their ludicrous standards of morality.

12. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Well more to the point I think Karrien's butthurt that humans can have moralities beyond OBEY!, and still get a heavenly reward.

Vorian and Darko like this.
  13. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

According to the table of contents, we're getting a chapter from an alternate Paul in a universe in which it's 2018. Not sure who that is. MCU Paul?

Darko likes this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Would be the first time we see him, aside from that one snippet of him and Skye on SV.

Also the next episode is titled Plutonian.

The only comic character with that name was the one that went insane and killed millions of people because he couldn't fit in.

This could mean that the paragon will be facing some problems from his actions, or lack of them, from this episode.

If it's a renegade one then his alien nature may come up.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Threadmarks: Low Politics (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

9th April
    14:41 GMT -2

"...cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon,
    Little boy bl-"

Queen Mera swims into the room.

"-ue-."

I dismiss my Cat's Cradle construct. I… Haven't really had much to do with Queen Mera for a while. Sephtian was my point of contact with the Conservatory. I don't even know whether the Atlanteans who swam in after her are government officials, aides, or additional security. I'm a little surprised to see her acting in what I assume is about to be a government capacity. My knowledge of Atlantean nobility isn't perfect, but my understanding had been that she left that stuff to her husband.

"Your majesty."

She smiles politely.

"My lord Illustres."

That's… Probably about right.

"Just came from a meeting with the Venturian cabinet. Is that.. something I can talk to you about?"

"Atlantean diplomatic custom would have us make small talk for a while first."

I nod. "Alright. How's Artur getting along?"

"He's in good health, thank you."

"Are you planning on having any more?"

"I.. think that we'll be waiting a year or two before deciding on that."

"Because if you're concerned about the whole Atlantean brothers' curse thing-."

"I'm more than capable of ensuring that Artur only has sisters. And that line of enquiry is outside of what would be considered polite noncommittal conversation in Atlantean society."

"I'll keep that in mind. For an Orange Lantern, it's… If you don't care, why bother talking about it? I imagine you'd be more interested in the Deep Dream analysis I'm hiring the Venturians to do for me, I'm certainly more interested in it-."

"Dream research?" I nod. "Are you interested in prophecy?"

"No, I'm.. pretty sure that Apollo has it in for me, so there's basically no chance of me getting anything useful from an oracle. I believe that there's at least some chance that-."

"That our arcane analytical equipment -which you shared with them- is now advanced enough that we might get something useful out of it? I hadn't even considered that aspect of it."

"You don't really have the personnel to spare to work on the project here-."

"Are you certain?"

"Yes. I have a near-complete list of every Atlantean research mage above a certain level courtesy of Professor Sephtian, because I asked him for the names of everyone he wanted to involve. I went to Venturia in the first place because-."

"None of them participate in our research programs."

"Though the chance of us getting anything useful isn't that great. And-. Are you familiar with the novel Nineteen Eighty Four?"

"No."

"It's… Really depressing for anyone trying to influence the world in a positive way, actually, but there's one bit where one of the characters says that they have some of the world's greatest scientists working on projects that won't ever bear fruit in order to keep them occupied. So if Poseidonis is worried about what Venturia's researchers are going to be doing-."

"They're going to be working on a project which -if successful- would result in them being able to command the fundamental forces of creation."

"And Oceana was going to get an earthquake machine. Except they weren't, ever. At most, I expect to get a way to extend the distance from Earth magic can be actively used, and that will probably be decades away. And it might turn out to be impossible. Which is worth knowing, but…"

"I thought that you wanted to employ Venturia's sorcerers for the Orange Lantern Corps."

"King Cyprian's not going to release all that many for long term detached duty, and they're going to have to learn a new world's magic system almost from scratch before they can teach anyone. The point is that Venturia isn't going to present a security threat to Atlantis. "

"Unless their research into the Dream bears fruit faster than you expect it to and they gain the ability to control magic universe-wide."

"Being an empath, and having spent some time in King Cyprian's presence, I feel safe in saying that if they were that successful, everyone involved would be rounded up and told in no uncertain terms that they weren't that successful, and that they were being reassigned to metaphorical Alaska, and that they should never talk about the thing that never happened again. Of course, you've got more resources. You could almost certainly outpace them. But-"

"As you pointed out, we have more demands upon those resources and there may be no payoff at all." She considers for a moment. "Will the Venturian Academy be willing to share their findings?"

"I imagine that academic cooperation will be a subject for debate post-referendum. Though given that they didn't really share while they were part of Atlantis and that I rather got the impression that King Orin was planning on using that sort of thing as a lure to persuade them to stay…"

"Something which Kaldur assured me that you believed would not work."

"It wouldn't, but me falling out with King Orin isn't a constitutional crisis. But since we've come full circle…"

She nods. "What does Lord Cyprian wish for you to discuss with me?"

"King Cyprian wants to meet with High King Orin to discuss the terms of the referendum. How the vote will be conducted, the methods both sides will use to persuade people to their viewpoint, and what happens afterwards."

"And Queen Ptra's involvement in these discussions?"

"As far as Venturia is concerned, she's the ruler of an Atlantean city-state. She has as much right to be involved as, say, the Speaker of the Shayeris senate. They're not going to insist that she leave if she's there, but they're not there to negotiate with her."

"Will they accept her as their Queen if the vote to leave fails?"

"It's not a vote to leave. They've already left. It's a vote to rejoin. And almost certainly not, though King Orin is welcome to raise the issue." I frown. "I know that King Orin didn't grow up here, but you're a native. You are.. aware of the history here, aren't you?"

"Some.. what. My studies were more focused on magic than on politics or history."

"At least make sure that King Orin is properly briefed before the meeting? Because he clearly hasn't been to date."

She looks at me for a few moments.

"I believe, Orange Lantern, that you have my husband's full attention."

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  16. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe it can be 'Just came' instead of 'just come'

'from which Earth' instead of just 'from Earth'

'Oceania' not 'Oceana'

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I mean,do they not have any contact at all? How can Atlantis and Venturia have so little idea of what the other thinks?

SaltyWaffles and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Isolation and lack of interest in learning what the other thinks maybe.

20. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I think it works as it is.
    The SI hasn't reread it since getting perfect memory.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It just doesn't sound right when I read it.

'from Earth magic can be used' really doesn't sound like it makes sense without adding 'which' or something similar in it.

PDV and SaltyWaffles like this.
  22. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

He's standing right behind me, isn't he?

sagemo, timeForced, Caerwen and 30 others like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe.

It can also be 'from which/where the Earths magic can be used'

24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, I see I was right yesterday, Mera's giving him her personal attention. Now, if he can avoid offending her too...

She is the Queen of Atlantis, she's presumably in nominal charge when Orin is out of the city. I assume she would normally work with whatever council is set up as a cabinet.

Well, so far so good...

Well, you are effectively the field commander of an interstellar armed force. That's got to be equivalent to at least a Lordship, or at worst a Barony.

Not something OL is that good at, I note. Too much of that 'straight down to business' character type. Comes with being an Orange Lantern, I expect.

And straight to the overly prying questions. Though it would make some sense in medieval times, when you couldn't count on a young heir making it to adulthood, these days it's a little less essential to have the 'heir and a spare'...

That's an actual thing in Atlantean culture? I guess that's part of why Arthur was raised on the surface...

Oh, that's interesting. A detailed study of interactions with the Dreaming, wasn't it? Presumably with a minor eye on extending terrestrial magic to toher planetary bodies?

Well, you did help Eris dump him in a pigsty. Greek gods can hold grudges like you wouldn't believe...

Which is why he's gone to Venturia. Also less chance of damaging the other cities if something goes wrong.

I'm sure Sephtian is looking forwards to hearing about the results. Though I'd be wary of the research. Don't want to tick of Oneiros, aka Dream of the Endless...

Hmm, would Arthur be familiar with it? It doesn't seem like the kind of fiction he'd have been interested in as a child...

Because unoccupied scientists have a small tendency to become supervillians in this universe, given half a reason. Especially if they're multi-disciplinarian.

Again, that ever-minute chance of ludicrous success that ends up with someone calling themselves 'Quake-master' or 'Doctor Seismic'...

It's not impossible. Look at the sort of breakthrough that resulted in the spellforges Atlantis is using now. Even if that is something difficult to make without certain resources.

True. Cyprian would be sensible enough to see the threat inherent in such research. And he's canny enough not to let it get out of hand...

Which OL, and we, know won't work...

And back to the business at hand.

Besides a reasonably polite 'please keep your nose out of it'?

And you're misreading the situation, Mera...

Irritating, I suppose she never expected to end up as the queen, though. In another universe, she may well have gone through to become head of the university without ever touching politics...

In other words: tell us more. Because to some degree, OL is their best source on the current state of Venturia, outside of agents that don't officially exist, and given Orin's philosophy, likely don't exist at all, to his knowledge.

Well, that's that for this episode. I expect the plotline will continue in the background of later episodes though. One last chapter for a denouement, a quick alternate Paul and then 'Plutonian'. o_O Which sets off alarm bells for me, having read some of Irredeemable. I seriously hope it's not something like Match turning bad or something... Guess we'll see by the weekend.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It could be about Paul or renegades troubles fitting in to society because of their alien natures.

The renegade is literary thought of as an alien, while paragon has an alien mindset.

Didn't the Plutonian go crazy because people still hated him despite the fact that he helped them, aside from the other reasons of course.

If that is the case then the episode could be about some kind of anti hero, anti alien group or something trying to stonewall the renegade or paragon or some such shit.

If the whole thing about the renegade being considered to be the ruler of Earth got out I can see some idiots trying to protest it and considering Paul's actions, or lack of actions, in this episode a lot of people may be pissed.

26. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Or much more concerningly relevant: the Materioptikon.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat in the first chapter of 'Earths Orangest Hero' you wrote 'he's be... Thin' it should be 'he'd be... Thin'

Also in the next chapter I think it could be 'starts walking down the stairs' instead of just 'starts down the stairs' when Anna Marie walks down.

When Lord Protector kissed Khoah after getting back from Krona and saw that she had faith in him was he just reading her expression like an ordinary person, or was he using his empathetic powers to see the love she has for him, because I thought you said he can't read other emotions aside from fear?

Did Lord Protector charge his ring from the Lantern of another Yellow version before going back to Thunderra?

28. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Hmm...

Is this going to be a theme? It sounds somewhat like Flash's talk with OL. I think there might have been some more Justice League members who also had other ominous statements regarding their attention.

Prince Charon and Random Anon like this.
  29. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

I mean, it ought to be? Anyone from a Western background who actually knows the history of the Atlantean city-states would be somewhat disturbed by Orin's rather tone-deaf rulership. Yeah, fine, you didn't ask to be king and don't particularly want to be, but being a hero means that you've already accepted that the world isn't supposed to revolve around your ego (unless you're Batman), so frankly it really is not excusable that you don't know the history of the nation whose federal government you are head of state for.

I don't think it's so much that Posidonis, in particular its diplomats, don't know the history of Venturia so much as their knowledge hasn't filtered its way past King Orin's decision to not care.

Yeah, there's a lot of blame to go around there. The Justice League are definitely a bunch of people who could stand to listen more, as opposed to issuing dictates from a position of ignorance, somewhat ironic considering that Batman is supposedly a good investigator, Flash is supposedly a criminalist, Wonder Woman is supposedly a diplomat and Superman is supposedly a reporter. On the other hand, for an empath Paul is remarkably bad at reading a room and displaying basic politeness and discretion, even when not doing so goes directly counter to his desires.

30. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

Paul is only kinda-sorta an empath. He can see desires pretty well, but he's come to avoid doing that without permission--which kind of defeats the point of having such an ability. But he can only see the "colored" parts of the emotional spectrum, and only when they're significant. Since that doesn't include things like "discomfort", "awkwardness", "stress", "happiness", and more, it does leave him rather blind to certain things.

Still, he definitely doesn't seem to be sensing as much from people as he did earlier in the story, which is annoying.