1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

That seems like it was on purpose to me.

2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"Yes, hello, this is Customer Service, Lord Lantern Manga Khan from Conneticut speaking. How many giant squids did you say were attacking?"

3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Really? Really? He forgot his own use-name? <headdesk> gods above, why did Dox give this... This... Village Idiot a power ring?

At least someone's on the ball... Seriously, is L-Ron the real reason he's so successful?

I do hope OL is recording this for Dox's later reference...

Because MK here is really not giving a good showing. And people call OL flighty?

Would the young man like to share with the class?

I suppose it wouldn't be Manga Khan without completely and comically missing the point...

...Do they know whether the client has any way to contact them? Or is this a case of 'we e-mailed you about your inability to log into your e-mail...'

...Seriously, OL has far better control than I, for I would have a handprint permanently embedded in my forehead by now...

"I'm the ideas guy, I'm not supposed to sweat details! Whatever 'sweat' is..."

Methinks it's beginning to hit him that he might be in trouble?

That's no good reason not to do your job.

He didn't read it, did he? Did he even look at it, or tell L-Ron to handle it?

<smack> ow. My forehead... Why, Dox... Why?

His protestations grow feebler and feebler.

OL might be better off channelling Kilowog here. Get Drill Sergeant Nasty on this maroon.

Did he consider that Earth has little knowledge of starship systems and weaponry? How are they supposed to know that?

Ah, appealing to his fear of Customer Service complaints...

And out comes the melodrama... Stop dabbing, you twit!

I don't think you could lower yourself to his level... That would take a major change of character...

Okay, Manga Khan, dial it back a little...

I would hope so, because one alternative is that he slept his way to the top...

He's going to be at this for hours, isn't he?:rolleyes:

Methinks she's reconsidering her decision to volunteer for this position...

Still peeking at his greediports, I see. More data!

I know he's not on the best of terms with Orin, but this is getting silly.

Though there are probably plenty of rumours, I bet. Halfway around the world while the Truth is still getting its boots on, and all that.

Queen Mera, most likely. Which might be helpful, she's less likely to yell.

So glad things are starting to wind down for this debacle... I have the feeling everyone will be glad to see the back of this episode... Hopefully, it ends peacefully. Despite me almost missing chapters ending with a bang...

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'to my forehead' not 'to more forehead' I think.

6. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Not sure if 'and' is the word you're looking for here. Perhaps 'I am empowered'?

SaltyWaffles and Darko like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

8. Grek

Grek (she/her)

No, I don't really think it should be.

9. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Citation very much needed.

Giving this guy a ring and a mission was a test, correct? A trial to see if ‘used car salesman’ was a good base from which to forge a high quality Orange Lantern.
    Well, test concluded. Result: A resounding no.

Presumably the poor mage is remembering that Paul, for all his vast power and insight, is still nutty enough to be called The Cake Man by the surface world. Why should his subordinates be any less… eclectic?

10. Mr Zoat

Immediately upon hearing that it existed, he took a Clustership to a isolated world with unique resources and began attempts to trade with them. The rest of Sector 2814 know about Earth; they've met the Lanterns who come from there. But aside from one incident when Jordan needed to be kidnapped to make him do his job? No contact.
    No, it's to see what happens when you give a ring to a merchant rather than a police officer or soldier. A single incident that hasn't even finished yet isn't enough to draw a conclusion.

11. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

'they'?

I've been enjoying LLMK, a fun character, and an interesting situation.

I've been waiting for OL to be called 'Over-Lord Orange Lantern', because, he must obviously out-rank LLMK, and, 'Clarissi' is a rank that means nothing to most people...

When the name 'Thalia' was given I was wondering why OL had brought the Muse of Comedy along, and, that she was a mage of that name came as a bit of a surprise. :)
    I think that's open to question. Some of the things Superman's done, for example, might suggest it's at least twice the size of our universe. Other things suggest it's a lot smaller, and, maybe, other galaxies are just 'lights on the wall'. Or, the DC Universe has got bigger, or smaller, in various retcons. As usual with DC, it's ambiguous.

"Whatever's convenient to the story, and doesn't break your suspension-of-disbelief, too much", is probably the answer. :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Xmaster3000, Ardy, Mr Zoat and 2 others like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They are descended from Greeks so it makes sense they would sometimes be given the names of gods.

Lot of people in Norway called Thor.

13. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Yes, I realise that, but, I thought the idea of dragging-in the Muse of Comedy to ask her if she thought LLMK was amusing had... a certain element of humour. :)

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The SI does know Calioppe at least a bit and rescued her, so it wouldn't be that hard to believe that one of her sisters would visit him.

Zoat if the paragon going to interact with Calioppe anytime in your story again?

DrThoth and SaltyWaffles like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I have no plans for him to do so.

16. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Making sales is not his job, it is his hobby.
    Also given he had to be told about this amazing potential market that all of Sector 2814 has known about for decades, the example isn’t even an indicator of him being good at his hobby.

An incident where the Illustres reminded the test subject what he is supposed to be doing isn’t going to be valid even when fully completed. And unless Dox is supplying a big enough sample size to generate statistically significant data he will never have enough to draw a proper conclusion.

Given they clearly aren’t going for rigorous scientific investigation they must work with what info they get. And thus far everything points to this merchant in particular being utterly unsuited for the job.

17. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

King rolls off the tongue a little smoother than Overlord.

Darko likes this.
  18. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

The Flash is not Flicker.

Either hyphenated or one word.

Probably remove the comma, but you could write "and I don't miss" if you prefer that.

19. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Dox is experimenting to see who makes a good orange lantern.
    While the idiot had sufficient avarice Manga Khan was a sub optimal result in Dox's experiment he wasn't entirely useless.

Cluster corp has the resources to uplift earth into a useful asset and
    sending Lord Idiot Manga Khan to paul to hopefully get trained into a more useful lantern was a win win for dox.

and if it didn't pan out then Paul was there the minimize the damage.

Hell The Green lanterns had G'nort so Manga Khan getting a ring isn't unbelievable.

20. Mr Zoat

No, it's really more the other way around. He is paid to be CEO of ClusterCorp. He isn't paid to be an Orange Lantern.
    I don't really think that evaluating a long term project by the first couple of days is a fair way to assess it. Particularly when you don't even have much data on those days.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think I'll leave it as it is.

21. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

You know, I actually had a nightmare last night (last night before first law class, so not unusual) that this was cancelled due to stress and Zoat might come back in a year.

Then I woke up and another chapter is posted.

So far, so good.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hope it doesn't happen.

With the way things are going any sense of stability is needed.

IsActuallyBatman and Ardy like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

I'm not saying that reading my story will sure my sharona cyrus... But I'm not saying it won't.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Does renegade Supes know that Karsta and the renegade are cloning Kryptonians?

Did paragon propose to Amalak to clone his species using the cloning tech, and if he did then did Amalak accept?

Helping a species rebuild itself and avoid genetic degredation due to lack of diversity would be a nice PR move.

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

If he does then it wasn't because the Renegade told him.
    The SI doesn't have enough genetic records to do that, and he feels that it's a subject he should consider very carefully before he brings it up with a kryptonian.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He could probably ask a Maltusian to help him with the Amalak issue. They're a race of super geniuses so making a good genetic record of his people, so they can make a sufficiently diverse gene pool, should be something they can do.

Would he need to consult a Kryptonian to make sure that neither Amalak or his newly resurgent species try to attack all remaining Kryptonians in the universe?

If not this then I don't see the point of asking a Kryptonian their opinion on this issue.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  27. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Because if you can't make money when you have the powers of an orange ring at your disposal, should you have an orange ring in the first place?

I think this is a concept OL instituted before he founded the OLC.
    And that was before he had a proper database. Nowadays, getting a ring would be like being given a turnkey creation forge. Were homeless, now you can want a self maintaining luxury space yacht into existence, transmuted from asteroid debris and included plans. Ditto anything else you need, such as trade goods. Also, steals cable like a boss.

Ngamer11, ShadowPoint, Vorian and 6 others like this.
  28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

I am the only one thinking that "Low politics" is getting way too long?

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Two more chapters and we're done.

Hopefully there are also going to be some more chapters on the alternates.

Xmaster3000 and infinityDivided like this.
  30. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

At least is not the braindead Hell arc, that one definitely lasted way too long.

Prince Charon likes this.