1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

Well, I for one am happy to be manipulated by cuteness like this. It costs me nothing unlike the SI, so there’s no reason not to put Spider Daughter into the adorable category and think no more about it.

2. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

I mean... Does it even cost HIM anything? He was already planning to do the very thing that was the goal of the manipulation. It's just positive feedback is all.

3. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Overlooking the obvious cuteness, the little Guilder could be first step for serious social change among Spider Guild in general along with improving their rep. It's a good move overall I feel.

Lupercal, Ardy, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  4. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

?
    He just has to say his oath in front of a portable Lantern, same as most ringbearers.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  5. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Lord Protector doesn't have a portable lantern, unfortunately. Now that he learned that making a lantern is possible, he plans to make one.

6. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Likely because he hasn't worked out what ideal orange lanterns are yet.

Ardy, Prince Charon, w34v3r and 4 others like this.
  7. Grek

Grek (she/her)

The key insight here is that Vaermina takes it as axiomatic that everything the SI does is bad. However much OL makes of the ring's AI, it is the wrong amount precisely because it is the amount that the SI chose. If the SI had made different choices, the correct answer would shift accordingly.

8. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Wasn't sure if at least some of this should be orange. Doesn't OL need to want to communicate with his ring AI?

I think we can call this episode a success...

I do wonder if this is a Princess Spider Guilder, in the same sense that the Queen is one who can make a new Nest... I don't recall if being a female Guilder means that automatically. If so, the Queen has really pulled out all the stops in grabbing OL by the philosophicals...

Other detail is, has the Queen programmed our Orange Light candidate, here, with fast maturation? If so, that can pose physical risks, and if OL does a full ring scan he may spot these. Which, could put him under even more pressure. It's all in the details...

Curious if you have a name, other than 'Kumo-chan', for this junior Guilder. 'Jorogumo' might not be bad, 'Joro' for short?

And...

The Spider Guild, as it traditionally works, is doomed. Just calling that, now...

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Basically Vaermina has a mindset similar to Rider from Fate Cero.

Rider: This life can get pretty crazy. And you can't go through it getting along with everyone. So if you gotta hate somebody, hate Lancer. Right?

Just replace Lancer with Paul and I think you've got Vaerminas personality down.

10. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Wouldn't Arachneros, with some poetic allowances, mean something like "Spidery"?
    At least I think that Zoat was going for something like "Xenios" and other such ancient nicknames that means as much as "X is what this guy is about". Maybe Αράχνειος (arachnios) would be a fair fit.

Edit: Actually, given that Themysciran is closer to ancient Greek and that the somethingphile term started as a clear euphemism (philos meaning friend) Arachnophilos might actually not be that on the nose for an Amazon. Or maybe, a bit more politely, Philarachnos.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

These days? Three or four hours of constant effort.

Bramble Thorn, Ngamer11, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  12. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

...fuckin wat.

"Isn't actually a very good Lantern"? The guy is basically life partners with Ophidian. He literally wrote the book on how to be an effective Orange Lantern without losing your sanity. He achieved avarice enlightenment in a matter of a few minutes, whilst under enormous pressure. He also wrote the book on how sane Orange Lanterns can be effective in combat, even against highly capable/powerful opponents, and has shared some invaluable inspiration with the GLC that is slowly making its way through their training doctrine. He's also such a good Lantern that he's noted from the very beginning how important it was to augment your ring-based capabilities with technological, magical, and resource-based capabilities as well, so that you get hard-countered by as few things and situations as possible.

Plus, I mean...he literally taught the Embodiment of Avarice how to avarice better.

If you want an Orange Lantern that is just really good at making really strong, simple constructs that does not rely at all on ring AI, then get Larfleeze. And as we see in canon/this story, Larfleeze is exactly why being "a very good lantern that doesn't rely on ring AI" is a terrible thing for an Orange Lantern. It means that you're pretty insane, unable to prioritize or maintain perspective, unable to have any kind of long-term goals or self-control, unable to adapt or solve any problem that doesn't involve lots of indiscriminate brute force and assimilation.

Not to mention the fact that Paul has repeatedly shown that he actually does have some significant capability even without his ring. Like when he forcibly called his ring back off of Truggs, taking Truggs' finger with him. Or when he called Ragnar's ring off of his finger in the middle of a close-range duel, whilst unarmed. Or the fact that his soul is basically baby-Ophidian, complete with the ability to Brand people?

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul's basically the Captain America version of a ring wielder.

Prince Charon, Ngamer11, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  14. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Does anyone know/remember what is actually in Paul's book about sane orange lanterning?

Darko likes this.
  15. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

'The SI doesn't know.'

Ardy and Darko like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There was apparently something that could cause a schism in the Crown Imperium centuries down the line.

17. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

<suspects; clicks 'Show Ignored Posts'>

Ah, I was right: it's Vaermina.

The best way to deal with the alternate universe fic Vaermina is reading is to treat it like Lu Bu, and, accordingly, to not pursue.

Prince Charon, w34v3r, Vorian and 6 others like this.
  18. JamesEye

JamesEye Not too sore, are you?

Super adorable! Let me be manipulated haha

19. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Shotiegun11 and Darko like this.
  20. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

He keeps forgetting that he's kinda a god.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Spiritually he isn't human, but biologically he still is.

22. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

And zeus was physically various humans and animals when he fathered lots of his children, I am pretty sure it's the spiritual part that matters.

23. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Grayven explained this a while ago, human with strong souls or gods can get pregnant a wide array of living creatures if they want to... Probably a few non living creatures too... So I fully expect Euante to have a baby driad growing inside her considering the subtext of how many encounters she has had with Paul and how she kinda wants his meat too.

Grayven has a gaggle of children and he is a better person as a result, so maybe Paul needs a few of those too.

Ngamer11, w34v3r, Xmaster3000 and 4 others like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zeus is an Old God and purely magical, while Paul is more akin to a New God.

Zoat once said that Helios would struggle empowering tamaraneans like with what he did to Kon so I doubt raw power can overpower all barriers, including genetic ones.

Paul may be able to impregnate other sapient species, but only with ring assistance if they lack all that much compatibility.

Even if his soul allows him to impregnate women from other species I doubt he could impregnate a giant alien spider.

He also said that it will most likely be difficult for him to impregnate Maxima without assistance.

A fertility god could do it, but he's not a fertility god. The paragon is also not a fertility god.

Ngamer11, Xmaster3000, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  25. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

General heading of a good idea badly implemented.

Although, just because he is aware of the attempted manipulation doesn’t necessarily mean he is immune to it.

I have to wonder how… clarified their respective authority is in such matters. Dox is theoretically a higher authority. But Paul is demonstrably the expert on the orange light.

BlueMangoAdea and Darko like this.
  26. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Dox can overrule Paul, but is probably fairly unlikely to do that in matters where Paul is an expert. Otherwise, I remember something about there being some kind of steering committee, wherein Dox has two votes, Paul has one vote, Hinon has one vote, and some random 2nd Maltusian has one vote?

Is it Jevek?

Is it Kalmin?

27. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

There was?
    NEMO has a council of seven. Three Maltusians (Hinon Jevek, NPC), the head of the Darkstars, the head of LEGION, the head of the Orange Lantern Corps and the 2nd in command of the Orange Lantern Corps.

28. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I don't think it was the crown imperium specifically, the SI just mentioned that something he was writing while waiting around could be divisive but he'd be around to correct any misinterpretations.

w34v3r and Xmaster3000 like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah.

30. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

That would be when some of the men of the JSA were on the island getting amazon combat training.
    they had to wear traditional amazon warrior garb.

well that or the time Eris managed to get Zeus plastered and got him to hook up with an equally drunk loki.

lets just say the resulting child needed lots of therapy.