1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Those Blessed with Talent

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Darkened, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Sirrocco

Sirrocco Tiny but ambitious squid

If nothing else, she can have them spar with one another, I suppose. Offer some treat to the winner, to give them motivation.

Sorry for taking so long on this one. The CharOpper in me wants to take the +1 stamina and run, but I know why I wrote that.

Omake pick: Peach Blossom's recovery becomes a little easier

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    Darkened likes this.
  2. Ferretshock

Ferretshock I trust you know where the happy button is?

Right, so note to self. Make sure to put effort in to keep track of Peach Blossom.

3. Sirrocco

If you wish. My motivation was purely that I didn't want to have us be quite so responsible for her having been maimed.

Arkeus likes this.
  4. al103

al103 Not too sore, are you?

[X] A library
    [X] A Town
    [X] A Lake

5. BFldyq

BFldyq It's pronounced Be-Fled-Ick

[X] A library
    [X] A Town
    [X] Staff

6. LeoAbogos

LeoAbogos Versed in the lewd.

[X] A library
    [X] Staff
    [X] A Town

7. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Self healing? Or healing others? Any particular kind of healing?

Before locking you in, I'll note that most things you could do would probably be a lot harder to acquire while crippled as badly as you are.

Also going to say I'm sorry to say that I managed to scratch up my eye with a contact. Looking at a monitor, especially, say, a white word document and reading small text, really really hurts right now. Updates may be delayed accordingly.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    Arkeus, Falconis and rcnr like this.
  8. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

Ah that is a bit less broad then I thought you meant, hmm, healing others with a focus on removing status effects like Weakened. We can have Blossom achieve it. I mean it already has the Life Affinity unlocked and that is a point in its favor.

9. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Mmmh. We really should come up with a good nickname for Moutain Peak Blossom. The name is really long to write, 'Moutain Peak' is what I use but probably not the best, and 'Blossom' made me think of Peach Blossom.

10. DarkLight140

DarkLight140 Versed in the lewd.

The obvious nickname is "Mounty". It implies possession of several intrinsically desirable features in a bloodsucking killer stranglevine, like secretly being a police officer. And Canadian.

11. Minion #Q

Minion #Q Well worn.

[X] A library: Your estate has an extensive library, unusual for a country mansion.
    [X] Orchards: Your estate is famous for its apples. Autumn would love running through the vast orchards.
    [X] A Lake: There's a beautiful lake nearby, teaming with fish.

12. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Healing statuses in others.

The only two I have in my list at the moment are:
    • Achieve the right level (dependent on actual stamina rating) while having more than 5 stars in stamina. (Allows you to transfer any negative effects short of death from a target in sight to yourself)
    • Survive 100+ unique illnesses, poison and crippling effects. (Can cure any negative condition, but only if you've personally experienced it before)
    And because neither of those is particularly helpful and this one is well known enough in stories (if not practice) that you'd be able to find it easily:
    • Climb Mt Penglai and steal a fruit from the tree at the summit. (Grants a body that won't age and that can recover from anything besides death if given sufficient time)

Noted

13. redaeth

I wonder how far Mt Penglai is... and who or what exactly owns the tree. You don't talk about stealing something unless it belongs to someone.

14. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

How is that one not helpful? It's basically what we need Mounty to get... except that, well, it's probably at a level higher than what we would need for Regrowth.

15. redaeth

It is only moving the problem, not actually solving it. Unless we find a patsy.

16. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

It moves the illness from someone else to yourself. It's not about a patsy. So basically it would be about Mounty taking our crippling and then healing itself.

PineTreeq likes this.
  17. redaeth

I'm fairly certain Mountain Blossom cannot cure Weakened.

18. drake_azathoth

drake_azathoth Fabulously Evil

...Yeah, I miss a vote or two and apparently people stick their head directly where the sun does not shine.

I kinda want to murder the person who pointed out Regrowth, because it basically made people decide HARD MODO ALL DE WAY for giggles and derail. If you're going to vote to be a cripple at least be honest about it, if you're going to vote to be a monster be honest about it.

Deciding to be a weakling and then working to become a monster just makes you an idiot.

[X] A library: Your estate has an extensive library, unusual for a country mansion.
    [X] Gardens: The gardens are large and beautiful, growing both flowers and many delicious vegetables. Mountain Peak Blossom might like it there.
    [X] Orchards: Your estate is famous for its apples. Autumn would love running through the vast orchards.

rcnr likes this.
  19. Sirrocco

Why do you think this thing? "severe limb damage and crippling effects". Given its overall effect, "weakened" looks like a crippling effect to me. It's an effect, and it's crippling. Alternately, I don't expect it to be this easy, but it might just be a side-effect of being in exp-debt.

Worth noting that Mu Badass thought he could fully cure us of everything that's wrong with us. That implies that there are effects that are capable of actually curing everything that's wrong with us.

Also worth noting that eventually we'll qualify for the "take negative effect" power ourselves, while (almost certainly) also having a "cure effect via HP power. That'll make ti *much* easier to rack up the hundred unique effects necessary for the second - and if we share them with our thirsty little friend first (by dint of the same power) they can pick it up too. That's bound to be useful at some point.

Mt Penglai sounds like a quest for when we are much, *much* higher level (and rather older)... though we'd probably want to steal a bunch of peaches if we can, so we could share them with our furry friends.

20. Sirrocco

No. That's the point. We don't want to be a cripple (long-term) *or* a monster... and it's not even hard mode. It's *slow* mode, which is absolutely not the same thing... and at that point, we were already derailed. The only choice was which direction we were going to derail in. This way gives us a bit more time to grow up and develop as an individual, rather than going Instant Child Super-Soldier. It's also the one that's most likely to have us live to see eighteen.

Also, "kinda want to murder"? Really?

21. drake_azathoth

Yeah, that's why I kinda want to murder people. Because as soon as they heard a neat trick to heal up they pretty much ignored what Mu said. They thought they could pick a 'third option', whereas in fact it's just a less efficient and more tedious version of the first option.

It doesn't matter AT ALL whether Little Bee gets strong using her own skills or with help from Mu. The point is she's A-class, and thus she can either grow strong and be feared by people as an unstoppable monster, or basically hide away from the world and enjoy peace as a weakling. Getting pointed ears or a cat tail or whatever means jack and squat in that respect, she will be just as feared looking perfectly normal as she would looking like a freak- and she's destined to look freakish no matter what if she does become strong.

I honestly don't mind the direction the story has gone in so much as the voters' idiotic avowed rationale. 'We'll gain the ability to shrug off being maimed to show that we can be normal!'

rcnr likes this.
  22. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

You would, but it's a question of would you want that over the other options for high stamina.

Arkeus likes this.
  23. rcnr

rcnr Dangerously Chuuni

Just because Regrowth is very clearly our next purchase and several Peace votes were using the "HA! Mu doesn't know we're actually part plant!" writein, doesn't mean we're going to go with the worst of both worlds option. Really, I think we'd all just prefer being mobile and not hideous.

24. Sirrocco

It does matter. You say "less efficient and more tedious" and we say "more time to grow and develop as a person." Also, you also ignored what Mu said. Let's play it back.

He's not saying "You're already doomed to be a monster, except for this crippling thing." He's saying "I can heal you fully, but I'm not willing to do that unless I also get to make you into a monster." Now, you're right that we're already much of the way there just from being A- rank, but what he's offering is a notch or two above where we were to begin with, and almost certainly came with a side order of pushing us ever harder. Letting us spend some time on the slow path, however, gives us some much-needed time to grow up where we *aren't* fighting for our lives in a fundamentally hostile world. That's something that we haven't had yet... and when we come out of it, we'll be able to come out of it pretty much on our own terms, which almost certainly won't be as intense as what Mu had planned for us. Voting for peace was voting for a period of slowdown, and some moderation. I can understand why you might not like those, but it's a not unreasonable rationale... and it at least gives us a chance at dodging the second part of Mu's monster option - the "and your friends will die" part. In some ways, it's at least as much of a narrative choice as anything else. I am certain that if we'd taken his offer, we'd have had a number of times where our friends died around us. I have some hope that having chosen this path, we can avoid that - possibly because of the more cautions, temperate nature that one has time to cultivate while recovering over a long period of time from crippling injuries.

This is in some ways a world of stories and fables. I'd suspect from that alone that the quick path to power would have inherent dangers, even without the specific call-out by Mu. Likewise, the long, difficult path to recovery has some inherent virtue that can be gleaned from it.

Ah. Hadn't realized it was a "pick one"

Pandemonious Ivy and Arkeus like this.
  25. drake_azathoth

Yeah, it's pretty much an idiot who thinks they can fight through their life without seeing a friend die. The entire reason Mu doesn't want to heal Little Bee without making her into a monster is that half-measures have obviously just nearly gotten HER killed. So he is laying it on the line for her, and letting her know if she is going to fight she no longer has the option of being weak.

...And the amount of OOC meta considerations and outright speculation in your above rationale pretty much leaves me at square one with our disagreement. I also don't view hunting foxes in a forest as requiring a period of further slowdown, and I frankly still think a large number of voters were just enchanted with an illusory 'take a third option', but I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

I hope you were not expecting to curb my frustration with what I view as the asinine and hypocritical decisions made, because I still find the reasoning maddening as all hell, but hopefully time and plot progression will make this a bit easier to bear. In any case, I'm not planning to abandon the quest to one awful decision. I'll leave it at that for now, feel free to get the last word if you wish.

Glasbowl14 and Falconis like this.
  26. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

<sigh>
    I know how you feel, but just... let it go, please? The votes are extremely close, as you can see. And yeah, I voted for Strong.

27. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

So, apparently Orchard, Lake, Library, Town and Staff are all tied at 7 votes. I think we have to make sure at least either Town or Staff get in, but not both.

28. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

I'm just going to say I disagree with 'inherent virtue' of the long path. It's just a different path, not a 'better' one. I voted for weakness because I want Little Bee to have a few years to herself, not because I think that there is an inherent advantage to doing things the slow way.

29. LeoAbogos

LeoAbogos Versed in the lewd.

I don't think it's necessary that acknowledging the existence of Regrowth makes choosing the path of weakness a half-measure compared to ignoring its existence. It's a fact that it exists as an option. To bar ourselves from the option for ideological reasons would seem to me to be the truly asinine approach. So yes, it is a factor that reasonably informed the decisions of voters. And yes, there are many who voted for Weakness thinking that with Regrowth it was a clever 3rd option that avoids any real consequences, whether infirmity or indebtedness, over the long-term; however, I'm certain there were votes for the path of Strength made with confidence that we wouldn't really ever have allies die. Which is totally still on the table with Weakness, by the way. My point is that individuals make votes for silly reasons, but that doesn't compromise the votes themselves necessarily. It just means quest participation is inclusive rather than exclusive.

My primary motivation was the flavor of character building and horizon broadening a more sedate lifestyle allows Little Bee the opportunity for, as well as the novelty of a severely crippled player character. Either option could have made sense for Little Bee, but I wanted to play the Little Bee that chose as we did.

Pandemonious Ivy and Arkeus like this.
  30. DOOMPOTATO

DOOMPOTATO Not too sore, are you?

[X] A Town: No estate is truly that far from a settlement, but yours is practically in a town. There will be plenty of ways to slip out and interact with children your own age, if the locals will let you.
    [X] Staff: All estates will have a few staff members and someone to see to your health, but this one has a good deal more than just a few servants to manage, including a few your own age.