1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Those Blessed with Talent

Discussion in 'Questing' started by Darkened, Feb 26, 2015.

1. redaeth

redaeth Stubborn pedantrist

I have no idea what to pick. Lemme go over each of these and then think on it.

2. redaeth

Gonna put some of my thoughts down.

General event skill : Useful in game, and not just for Little Bee but for her bonded. Since Monsters can acquire Event Skills. I'm thinking this perhaps would be saved for a quest later. Though honestly depending on how the vote goes I might just save this for just after the next update instead. Getting a Healing Event skill for getting our weakened state away faster is a godsend. Or buffing skills in case we find ourselves in combat right away and we need to buff our allies more then our Charisma can provide, or probably a dozen other skills.

Characteristics : Our next blood bond. We have needs, but they aren't immediately applicable. For one thing we don't actually have a spot available. For another I have no idea what characteristics would suit the next slot, something to think about some more.

Peach : The non-selfish choice. I like Peach. I really, really do. But... this time? This time I think Little Bee needs the help more. I might change my mind after I think about it a bit more.

Talent Scout : The immediate gratification pick. Maybe it relates to how quickly her pets are gaining spending XP with nothing to actually spend it on. Maybe we just see further down the trees they have access to. Plus it probably locks in with our other various perception based skills. It's a good choice, but so are the other three.

In conclusion.... I think I'm going to save this for after the next update.

3. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

OK, Tentatively switching my vote to LeoAbogos'. They make a good argument that LB would want to get time to recuperate and hug her pets before going back into work, we reallly are not really ready to go full-on into work, and it's true the implied debt aspect is...worrying. This sounds very much like what we would have had if we had went into the army, except with much more 'support'.

Given how the system works, having time to plan, study skills, teach them to our pets, etc, sounds actually better in lots of ways than just constantly gaining XP and Event skills. Oh, and obviously finally having some time to really plan for our next pet can be useful. Beside, there is something to be said for not jumping from kid to monster without going by 'person'.

They also sell the "playing as a cripple" well.

Falconis, having voted for me and not having done his own vote, might want to switch to another []strong vote.

[X] Peace Weakness Safety
    [X] I am hurt, unsure, and lack confidence. My body is a ruin and it's my fault, even if I don't regret my decisions. I want to rest, to relax, to live life without worrying I will die tomorrow, for the first time in my life. When I return to strength, and I will, it will be on my own terms and as a result of my own efforts- so I can feel confident in it. The quick power of an A- did not help me immature as it was. I want security more than power. I want to be a person for at least a little while after being trash my whole life, and before being a monster.

4. rcnr

rcnr Dangerously Chuuni

I like that writein a lot, so I'd be quite happy if the vote turns in that direction.

5. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Okay, wow. People have been debating this a lot more than I imagined and the votes are surprisingly diverse. Because I don't want this to be the kind of thing that bandwagons, I'm going to say this for counting.

The main options will be tallied separately from rationales. Afterwards, the most voted for sub-option will form the core of your response, while other votes will be used to contribute as necessary. Even votes from the losing side may factor in, if something seems particularly right for Little Bee.

This is not a final count. I'm going to leave the voting open for another day or two in light of this decision, and because I want to get this right.

But currently, the vote stands as:

[!] 10 Strength Loss Adventure: (Glasbowl14, wayne82444, ToggyWog, Anaerobie, rcnr, Minion #Q, derkan, PineTreeq, redaeth, Falconis)

-[!] 3 We know that strength breeds danger, not safety. It's been shown to us, again and again, from Han Wei to how we have seen the stronger people were the harder their duty and expectations were. But we are prideful. If Autumn Shade or Moutain Peak blossom truly wanted simple safety, it would be different, but they are prideful, too. We want to be something, and not just retire quietly before we ever knew what could have been. There is a reason we chose to be an indetured servant and neither adopted nor gone to the army: we want to be our own person,yes, we are very prideful... but we also know our limits. What separate someone foolishly trying to grasp the heaven to someone succeeding is accepting other people's help. We could, definitely, try to recover on our own. It is probably possible, there are skills, not too far away, that could hopefully facilitate such, but there is a limit to our arrogance.: (PineTreeq, rcnr, Falconis)
    -[!] 3 Beside, even our pride dislike being used as a bluff.: (rcnr, PineTreeq, Falconis)

-[!] 3 Being hidden away does not guarantee safety. It relies on outside forces staying the same so that our benefactors remain powerful enough no-one would dare challenge them or the thing they use to bluff with. It relies on luck that nothing powerful and uncontrollable wanders through. The world is not so predictable that not causing trouble guarantees safety. And if trouble ever does come calling, than it means you get to watch what you care for die because you decided ignorance and weakness for temporary bliss was a fair trade.: (Glasbowl14, ToggyWog, derkan)

-[!] 1 Being weak means never being safe. You have to rely on others to keep you safe, and the moment they decide it isn't worth the trouble you don't have anymore peace. The only way to be safe is to be able to fight or escape from anything that wants to hurt you. That might make others try to attack you out of fear but that is no different than what would happen if I were to be used as a bluff by the Mu clan. This way I can fight back, and if I do lose someone I care about at least I will have been able to try to protect them instead of being useless. Besides, there are more that I care about that just Autumn Shade and Mountain Peak. Who would keep an eye on the Idiot if I stopped, and what would Peach Blossom say if I gave up? Knowing that her rival quit might just break her fragile ego, and I wouldn't want that.: (wayne82444)

-[!] 1 I've been weak all my life, weakness is not safety. Peace is not safety. Should trouble come looking for us my friends will do their best to protect me. And they will fall without my help. They will die. I will lose another friend. I will not lose another friend while I run away because I'm not strong enough. Never again. If the price I must pay is becoming a monster, so be it.: (redaeth)

-[!] 1 You know loss and fear. There are old companions but you went here for change. And your pride wouldn't allow you to back off now in the beginning. So old man show off what you can do. Bring it on ! We both now it can't be enough to face all the challenge.: (Anaerobie)

-[!] 1 life is made of choices and I have already made mine. long ago I was a forgotten child and though I was with others, I was forever alone. I watched others then and I learned something, strength has no effect on who you are. Those that you say would hate and fear me for being a monster are the same that would have kicked me aside before without thought. But there were others who despite being stronger acted differently giving food and shelter to stay together as family.: (Minion #Q)

[!] 9 Peace Weakness Safety: (al103, Jiven, mkire, LeoAbogos, DOOMPOTATO, Sirrocco, Pandemonious Ivy, Raron, Arkeus)

-[!] 2 I am hurt, unsure, and lack confidence. My body is a ruin and it's my fault, even if I don't regret my decisions. I want to rest, to relax, to live life without worrying I will die tomorrow, for the first time in my life. When I return to strength, and I will, it will be on my own terms and as a result of my own efforts- so I can feel confident in it. The quick power of an A- did not help me immature as it was. I want security more than power. I want to be a person for at least a little while after being trash my whole life, and before being a monster.: (LeoAbogos, Arkeus)

-[!] 5 I can see my sheet, and recovery on my own is not only possible, but within reach. I do value strength, and I will fight for it, but I will not sacrifice my friends and allies on the altar of my desire for it.: (al103, mkire, Pandemonious Ivy, Sirrocco, DOOMPOTATO)

-[!] 2 I don't wish or have need of your help. Even if I did the price you ask is too high. Becoming a monster for sake of being a monster is no life at all. I'll recover using my own power.: (Jiven, Raron)

6. john doe

john doe Not too sore, are you?

[X] I am hurt, unsure, and lack confidence. My body is a ruin and it's my fault, even if I don't regret my decisions. I want to rest, to relax, to live life without worrying I will die tomorrow, for the first time in my life. When I return to strength, and I will, it will be on my own terms and as a result of my own efforts- so I can feel confident in it. The quick power of an A- did not help me immature as it was. I want security more than power. I want to be a person for at least a little while after being trash my whole life, and before being a monster.

7. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

[X] Strength Loss Adventure:
    -[X] We know that strength breeds danger, not safety. It's been shown to us, again and again, from Han Wei to how we have seen the stronger people were the harder their duty and expectations were. But we are prideful. If Autumn Shade or Moutain Peak blossom truly wanted simple safety, it would be different, but they are prideful, too. We want to be something, and not just retire quietly before we ever knew what could have been. There is a reason we chose to be an indetured servant and neither adopted nor gone to the army: we want to be our own person,yes, we are very prideful... but we also know our limits. What separate someone foolishly trying to grasp the heaven to someone succeeding is accepting other people's help. We could, definitely, try to recover on our own. It is probably possible, there are skills, not too far away, that could hopefully facilitate such, but there is a limit to our arrogance.

... never back down.
    <sigh>

8. rcnr

rcnr Dangerously Chuuni

Apologies for the confusion, It was a happy coincidence that Arkeus changing votes also happened in the wake of a really good Weakness writein that I wanted to support. For sinplicity I'll just revote with the full text.

9. al103

al103 Not too sore, are you?

OK, this one feels better

10. Frakir's brother

Frakir's brother Experienced.

11. Falconis

Falconis Not too sore, are you?

You wound me Arkeus.

I'd go full TTGL now and do my own write in for SLA, but it's way too late in the game for that so I'll just stick with what I voted for before.

Updating my vote for clarity

-[X] We know that strength breeds danger, not safety. It's been shown to us, again and again, from Han Wei to how we have seen the stronger people were the harder their duty and expectations were. But we are prideful. If Autumn Shade or Moutain Peak blossom truly wanted simple safety, it would be different, but they are prideful, too. We want to be something, and not just retire quietly before we ever knew what could have been. There is a reason we chose to be an indetured servant and neither adopted nor gone to the army: we want to be our own person,yes, we are very prideful... but we also know our limits. What separate someone foolishly trying to grasp the heaven to someone succeeding is accepting other people's help. We could, definitely, try to recover on our own. It is probably possible, there are skills, not too far away, that could hopefully facilitate such, but there is a limit to our arrogance.
    -[X] Beside, even our pride dislike being used as a bluff.

Stagnation equals death, and loss is inevitable.
    Hide away in some big house far away? Don't screw with me, there's no way anybody is going to be happy with that. Not you, not the Mu clan or any of your Bond Brothers.
    Autumn is a warrior, and Peak isn't some wimpy treant that likes sitting in one place either.

We do that and we'll forever be wondering what could have been of the Legendary A ranked Street Rat.
    We do that and Han Wei wins.

We aren't the first A rank, and we won't be the last. It'll be a damn shame if we give all these nobles reason to smirk hundreds of years down the line and say 'She was a street rat after all. We couldn't have expected much better'.
    Screw that.
    Screw them.

Get up, overcome your challenges and win.

Anaerobie and Arkeus like this.
  12. redaeth

Hmm, a couple people switched votes. Currently its 12 for Peace Weakness Safety and 10 for Strength Loss Adventure.

13. Frakir's brother

Frakir's brother Experienced.

I voted peace because it is better if we recover on our own.

14. JENTHULHU

JENTHULHU Know what you're doing yet?

Why would we vote to not be a protagonist?

15. JENTHULHU

JENTHULHU Know what you're doing yet?

For anyone voting weakness, you do know that in the REMOTE possibility we aren't made to live with this decision for the rest of our lives, robbing the decision of all real meaning, it'll likely be dozen+ updates before any change.

Anaerobie and Arkeus like this.
  16. BFldyq

BFldyq It's pronounced Be-Fled-Ick

[X] Strength Loss Adventure

17. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

This is very important- I want to play a cripple for a while, studying things and stuff, but everyone voting for Weakness should be aware that's what they are voting for, so there is no bitterness.

Darkened likes this.
  18. Fredo

Fredo Eternal Lurker

19. fitzgerald

fitzgerald Experienced.

20. LeoAbogos

LeoAbogos Versed in the lewd.

ABC.

Always Be Crippled.

21. unsafejakal

unsafejakal Not too sore, are you?

[X] Strength Loss Adventure

22. Falconis

I'm actually fine with either result (or the secret third result that no one speaks of), I just think the decision is more important than to heal on your own or not.

This is a character defining moment, and the justification we use for either of the choices is likely to stick with us for a long, long time as an in character automatic response.

So peace weakness saftey may see us choosing to chill out and heal naturally whenever we get into mega hurt after this, and probably some physical disabilities from never healing to full capacity.
    More time spent with pets and such as family (but probably less roughhousing with them) and combat taken with a greater emphasis on coming out safe and sound to go back home.
    So even if we go back into regular combat ever again, I think it will be a more... peaceful existence (how uninformative).

Strength loss Adventure would probably see us trying to get back into full form as quickly as possible. Less time spent just chilling out but we'd go out more and deal with new people and new situations, find more powerful pets/allies and continue the kind of 'combat family' we currently have with a bit more emphasis on the combat. This is the path more likely to lead to the violent death of one or more of our family, but the path most likely to allow us to continue to actually fight alongside them in a meaningful way.
    Fight, become a once in 10 million years monster and be the person nobody but other monsters mess with. (sadly/fortunately there are probably some other monsters that have nothing better to do)

Our social connections benefit/suffer in fairly obvious ways from each path so I won't bother goin into that.
    Just my musing anyway.

Of course there will be /other/ character defining moments in the future that can change our path, but it's unlikely that this will ever end up being a 'temporary' thing with no lasting effects whatsoever.

Sirrocco, Darkened and Arkeus like this.
  23. LeoAbogos

LeoAbogos Versed in the lewd.

On the other hand, the second path could just as easily lead to permanent impairment over the long term. A habit of rapid rehabilitation carries that risk if means of perfect recovery are not always available.

Mostly, I think being a cripple is interesting, and that it would contextualize a lot of things for Little Bee. Also, I'd rather have a goal in mind when fighting that means something more than "be awesome". Being awesome is great, obviously, but when I look at Little Bee's adventures so far... well, that motivation either hasn't had the best track record, or was tempered by a great deal of pragmatic skepticism. We opted out of being owned by the military, despite it offering resources and reliable power growth. My suspicion is that taking the power option here leads to a comparable restriction of personal freedom. It makes no sense for the Mu clan to apply top tier restorative techniques for an asset they'll just leave lying around. This is edging towards the exaggerated "get worked to likely death on suicide missions" concern that formed the major bloc against the indentured servitude option in the first place.

Pandemonious Ivy likes this.
  24. Sirrocco

Sirrocco Tiny but ambitious squid

I agree with you in general falconis - except to say that I expect that we'll continue to be able to fight alongside of them regardless. We have attributes that we pick up from them that will allow this - and we're *highly* unlikely to actually pick up unhealable things after we learn a few "heal anything" powers (which we'd prioritize). It does mean that we'll be likely to focus more on the leader and healer side of our powers than the raw combat side, though. The "Monster" version is likely to see some of our combat family eventually rendered not-terribly-meaningful in our fights even if they aren't killed outright.

the "New people and new situations" are highly likely to be of the Marine Corps variety. You know - "Go to new and more interesting places. Meet new and more interesting people - and kill them." The slw recovery version is likely to take a mroe peaceful and judicious route overall - possibly focusing more on infiltration and preparation, rather than direct combat.

25. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

Currently, strength looks to be one ahead. I'll leave it open for 2.5 hours and lock it unless there's a tie at that time.

26. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

-[X] Your offer to fix me right away is extremely tempting, but I think I should learn to heal myself instead. I already have the skills I need to fix most of my problems, I just need the XP to get them. If I learn to heal myself then I expect I can keep those I care about safe easier than if I just let you heal me now. It will take longer, but I will be stronger for it. I think Autumn Shade and Mountain Peak Blossom will benefit from taking the extra time to get stronger too. I am worried about what will happen to Peach Blossom and the idiot while I recover, but even if you heal me now I can't be at their sides to keep them safe constantly. On the other hand if I learn to heal now then if they get hurt I can help them get better after the fact. Even if I am weak for now I will get strong enough to protect the people I care about.

Some of the recent arguments convinced me to change my vote. I'm still going to leave my old vote in, just so people can read my write in if they want, I'm just going to strike through it instead. I actually don't like my new reasoning writein as much. I think I may have borrowed to many ideas from others, but I'm still standing by my previous decision to make my own writein specifically for this vote. Either way this vote goes I'll be happy with it I think. Both sides have some really good points, and a few noticeable drawbacks.

Darkened and Sirrocco like this.
  27. Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

And I believe that means peace edges out ahead.

28. Falconis

Glorious peace.

29. Threadmarks: An Answer
    Darkened

Darkened Experienced.

[X] 14 Peace Weakness Safety: (Jiven, wayne82444, Fredo, rcnr, DOOMPOTATO, Pandemonious Ivy, Raron, al103, Frakir's brother, Sirrocco, LeoAbogos, john doe, Arkeus, mkire)

[X] 8 I am hurt, unsure, and lack confidence. My body is a ruin and it's my fault, even if I don't regret my decisions. I want to rest, to relax, to live life without worrying I will die tomorrow, for the first time in my life. When I return to strength, and I will, it will be on my own terms and as a result of my own efforts- so I can feel confident in it. The quick power of an A- did not help me immature as it was. I want security more than power. I want to be a person for at least a little while after being trash my whole life, and before being a monster.: (Fredo, rcnr, al103, Frakir's brother, LeoAbogos, john doe, Arkeus, mkire)

[X] 3 I can see my sheet, and recovery on my own is not only possible, but within reach. I do value strength, and I will fight for it, but I will not sacrifice my friends and allies on the altar of my desire for it.: (Sirrocco, DOOMPOTATO, Pandemonious Ivy)
    [X] 2 I don't wish or have need of your help. Even if I did the price you ask is too high. Becoming a monster for sake of being a monster is no life at all. I'll recover using my own power.: (Jiven, Raron)

-[X] 1 Your offer to fix me right away is extremely tempting, but I think I should learn to heal myself instead. I already have the skills I need to fix most of my problems, I just need the XP to get them. If I learn to heal myself then I expect I can keep those I care about safe easier than if I just let you heal me now. It will take longer, but I will be stronger for it. I think Autumn Shade and Mountain Peak Blossom will benefit from taking the extra time to get stronger too. I am worried about what will happen to Peach Blossom and the idiot while I recover, but even if you heal me now I can't be at their sides to keep them safe constantly. On the other hand if I learn to heal now then if they get hurt I can help them get better after the fact. Even if I am weak for now I will get strong enough to protect the people I care about.: (wayne82444)

[X] 13 Strength Loss Adventure: (Glasbowl14, ToggyWog, Anaerobie, PineTreeq, BFldyq, Minion #Q, redaeth, unsafejakal, derkan, Falconis, fitzgerald, JENTHULHU, theweepingman))

-[X] 5 We know that strength breeds danger, not safety. It's been shown to us, again and again, from Han Wei to how we have seen the stronger people were the harder their duty and expectations were. But we are prideful. If Autumn Shade or Moutain Peak blossom truly wanted simple safety, it would be different, but they are prideful, too. We want to be something, and not just retire quietly before we ever knew what could have been. There is a reason we chose to be an indetured servant and neither adopted nor gone to the army: we want to be our own person,yes, we are very prideful... but we also know our limits. What separate someone foolishly trying to grasp the heaven to someone succeeding is accepting other people's help. We could, definitely, try to recover on our own. It is probably possible, there are skills, not too far away, that could hopefully facilitate such, but there is a limit to our arrogance.: (fitzgerald, JENTHULHU, theweepingman, Falconis. PineTreeq)
    -[X] 2 Beside, even our pride dislike being used as a bluff.: (PineTreeq, Falconis)

[X] 3 Being hidden away does not guarantee safety. It relies on outside forces staying the same so that our benefactors remain powerful enough no-one would dare challenge them or the thing they use to bluff with. It relies on luck that nothing powerful and uncontrollable wanders through. The world is not so predictable that not causing trouble guarantees safety. And if trouble ever does come calling, than it means you get to watch what you care for die because you decided ignorance and weakness for temporary bliss was a fair trade.: (Glasbowl14, ToggyWog, derkan)

[X] 1 I've been weak all my life, weakness is not safety. Peace is not safety. Should trouble come looking for us my friends will do their best to protect me. And they will fall without my help. They will die. I will lose another friend. I will not lose another friend while I run away because I'm not strong enough. Never again. If the price I must pay is becoming a monster, so be it.: (redaeth)

[X] 1 You know loss and fear. There are old companions but you went here for change. And your pride wouldn't allow you to back off now in the beginning. So old man show off what you can do. Bring it on ! We both now it can't be enough to face all the challenge.: (Anaerobie)

[X] 1 life is made of choices and I have already made mine. long ago I was a forgotten child and though I was with others, I was forever alone. I watched others then and I learned something, strength has no effect on who you are. Those that you say would hate and fear me for being a monster are the same that would have kicked me aside before without thought. But there were others who despite being stronger acted differently giving food and shelter to stay together as family. strength can make one into a monster, and in that sense all adventures are monsters. but it does not have to, choices matter as well, I am sure you will be generous if I t ake the other path but I will be unable to choose. The reason why I denied the nobles first offer of adoption was because I wanted time to understand the choices that I will make and now I think I am just beginning to. I am an adventurer I understand that perceptions will change as I grow, but growth is part of life. If I chose to runaway at the first defeat I don't think I would like the type of person that I would become. Not when I can find people who can understand and accept me for who I am even if others consider me a monster. : (Minion #Q)

You can't decide. You want to accept the offer, to start walking again, to get stronger, strong enough that this won't ever happen again. You know that weakness isn't safe, no matter whose protecting you. You've been getting shit on your whole life to learn that much. But... it's just as obvious strength isn't safety either. Han Wei wouldn't have cared much about you if you weren't quite as talented. You wouldn't have even been in the forest at your level.

You fumble the brush, spilling ink all over a note that wouldn't be any good anyway.

You're proud, too proud to accept weakness, but not quite too proud to accept health. You want freedom, to decide your own fate, to live as you want, but.. neither choice gives that. You can become a monster on that voice's terms or live as a cripple on his terms as well. No matter what you do, you'll be dancing on the palm of his hand. At least the strength he offers could show you a way off.

You put down the brush then crumple the paper into a ball as best you can with one hand, then start again.

Regrowth could help you. Get out of debt, earn 100 more XP and suddenly you could heal yourself, slip the leash and be truly free, but you won't really. They'll be watching you, waiting as the years catch up and pass you by. You won't have any choice. You fought once and lost and now, can you really just run away?

You start to rewrite the note again, then jab the paper as you read what you've actually written.

You messed up. You don't regret anything you've done. If this choice is the price for Autumn's safety, for Mountain Peak Blossom's, then you'd definitely pay it again and again. All your talent, all your power, it didn't help at all in the forest. The quick boost didn't do anything about the fact that you're still a child, You you won't let them bury you forever, but your strength is hollow.

And the kind of strength that voice was talking about won't fix it. Sure he could modify your body, train you to the point of exhaustion, show you how to get just all the right skills, but you'd be his puppet. Could you really trust that power that came only because you listened to someone else, that came because you threw away the chance to be a person without ever seeing what it was like?

You need security, comfort, freedom to be a person before you give up to the inevitable and become a real monster. You want—need—to face this on your own terms, to overcome your own heart. Even if you can barely walk, even if you can barely speak, you'd have paid that price in a heartbeat to get out of the Lower City. Why should it be any different now?

In a year or two, after you've really lived, then you can push back, recover, become strong. Even if you'll depend on the Mu clan for now, even if you won't be able to stretch your wings and fly out, you'll be able to build yourself, to see something you haven't seen before and be a real person instead of some gutter-trash or a baby monster. You choose peace, for now, but not forever. Shouldn't you have at least that much?

You write it down, cross it out, then write it down again, wishing you felt half as confident about the messy words full of scratched out mistakes as you make them sound.

And when you're done, when it's finally almost something you think might be the right choice for you, the brush drops from your weary hands and sleep claims you.
    When you wake, your note, the brush and your failed attempts are gone.

Winter Breeze steps gracefully into the room, her face drawn in genuine anger for the first time since you've known her. You want to apologize, for messing up, for failing, for getting hurt, but she sits down at the edge of your bed and gently runs her hand down your cheek.

“It's alright,” she says in a tone that tells you nothing is right, “I.. I have to tell you. It's been 'decided' that the Mu clan will not spare the expense of restoring your body,” her face blanches as she realizes what she's said all her austere masks cracking out of something strange, pity? Affection? It's not really something you've seen directed at you from any eyes other than Autumn's before now.

“You are to be removed from the capital after your body has been restored as much as possible with the staff in this building. I have been ordered to tell you that you are unlikely to return.”

Actually growling, Winter Breeze stands up and begins pacing your room. You want to tell her that it's okay, that you choose this, but you can't manage any words at all. Instead you reach out with your better hand and grab her wrist, holding it comfortingly.

“It's not fair,” she says at last, “It never is, but it shouldn't be this unfair.” and then your first teacher flees, though you're not sure how anger at your circumstances means she can't stay with you a bit.

The next days pass in quiet and boredom. Aside from the doctor who comes to visit on occasion, Autumn and Mountain Peak Blossom, no one comes to visit you. The Idiot's vanished for all his promises, Winter Breeze can't stay in your company for more than a minute without fuming, or worse trying to be so kind and meek and helpful that you can't even recognize her. Even if you love Autumn and Mountain Peak Blossom far more than you love yourself, it's not fair to them to make them stay here with you like this.

As the days turn to weeks, and then months, you slowly regain functionality. You learn to eat with your left hand, manage to sit up again, then to walk. You're hideous now, as you learn when the bandages finally come off, with most of your lower face and chest covered in burns and even your less arm a mass of scar tissue. You've never been vain, but you hope these go away when you learn regrowth.

Autumn tries to be supportive, but the kitten isn't built to stay still. As time wears on, he spends more and more time around the estate and away from you. You don't begrudge him his nature though, you wouldn't want him to stay cooped up forever just because of you. Mountain Peak Blossom is more supportive. With a bit of your blood, the plant is perfectly content to stay with you, soaking in the sunlight and just being a quiet source of strength.

He's there when you finally manage to speak, painfully and slowly, and so quiet no one but you would really know, but it's progress.

As winter fades for spring, you find yourself recovered enough to walk for longer periods of time, and your lungs have recovered enough that you can hold a short conversation. You relish the achievement, almost as much as you relish the small amount of XP it earns.

And then, a full year after you learned your class, you're packaged up in a carriage and sent off to the country in the night. You can't say you're sad. Without the Idiot being himself, without Winter Breeze pushing you to grow, or the other servants oohing and aahing over you, the Mu Clan's estate is just a cold empty mansion. Even if they're sending you away to be buried, you're sure you'll be able to start living again in the new place.

Let's talk about mansions! Choose 3 of the following features to have at your estate.
    [ ] A library: Your estate has an extensive library, unusual for a country mansion.
    [ ] Gardens: The gardens are large and beautiful, growing both flowers and many delicious vegetables. Mountain Peak Blossom might like it there.
    [ ] A Town: No estate is truly that far from a settlement, but yours is practically in a town. There will be plenty of ways to slip out and interact with children your own age, if the locals will let you.
    [ ] Staff: All estates will have a few staff members and someone to see to your health, but this one has a good deal more than just a few servants to manage, including a few your own age.
    [ ] Orchards: Your estate is famous for its apples. Autumn would love running through the vast orchards.
    [ ] A Lake: There's a beautiful lake nearby, teaming with fish.
    [ ] Write-in: limited to reasonable things.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  30. Arkeus

Arkeus Crazy cat guy

Decisions, decisions... Too many choices, not enough picks!

At first glance tempted to go Orchard and Gardens, but this means not having access to kids our ages or libraries... Also, that Lake sounds good...