1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

That was mostly him joking around with Diana, I doubt he wants to play matchmaker for entities that tend to get... indiscriminate when overly emotional.

Cuchulin, CTrees and Darko like this.
  2. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

And Persephone hasn’t put out in 3,000 years, everyone has issues

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Persephone not putting out doesn't result in thousands dying of magical plagues.

4. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Grandma Demeter is laughing.

No that would be Demeter extending winter with extra blizzards because Persephone didn't drop by to visit her this spring.

The Greek pantheon needs so much couples and family therapy they'd have to add a new position in said pantheon for god/godess of therapy.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There is a Goddess of Therapy in the fanmade 'Codex Equestria' universe.

She's called Mentalne.

If this whole miltiverse thing keeps happening then maybe they can go and visit her.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Getting caught up from the last few days...

Conventional guns accelerate the round a couple hundred times faster than a magnetic weapon. It's the difference between all the acceleration in the first instant and accelerating the entire time the round is in the barrel. A magnetic gun would have recoil, but it would be significantly less than a traditional gun, possibly even enough less that an experienced shooter could perceive it as "no recoil".

To illustrate that point, when I was a teen and shooting regularly I perceived a particular rifle - a .22 my dad had inherited from his grandfather - to have no recoil at all. Probably because I was used to an old 30.06 that kicked like a mule. Fast-forward to my late 20s, a time when I hadn't fired a gun for most of a decade*, and I was surprised to notice that gun having a perceptible recoil (and the gun I'd shot many competitions with during my teen years having far more recoil than I remembered for that matter).

The difficulty with coilguns and railguns is one of power. If you know what you're doing you can build a rifle sized coilgun in real life that can put a round through an engine block. You just have to have a big, thick power cord going from it back to the bank of capacitors that's filling the bed of your pickup and takes a couple minutes to charge between shots. And since Paul's already revolutionized the power industry that's not a problem anymore.

Your barrel would need that time to cool off too, unless you also have a refrigeration line going back to a very efficient cooling system. So I suppose it's less a "rifle sized coilgun" and more a "truck sized coilgun with a rifle sized business end".

I would be very much surprised if Vril Dox turned out to NOT be an undiscriminating sapiosexual.

So Persephone is the kind of overbearing parent who won't let her adult daughter make decisions for herself. Noted.

Refresh my memory. Is this one of the versions where Persephone ran off with Hades and just let everyone think she'd been kidnapped to save face? Or did he actually kidnap her and coerce her into marriage in this story? I ask because this Hades seems a bit too reasonable for the second, but at the same time his wife apparently hates him.

Hyppolyta may approve, but those would both be odd matches for Paul IMO.

Starfire is one of those characters who was originally written as an object of fantasy for teenage boys and later expanded into an actual fully fleshed out character. DC seems to have a lot of those for some reason.

7. Mr Zoat

Neither. He didn't intend to coerce her, but that was what it felt like to her, especially when he said that he had her father's permission.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well his comic self didn't exactly have all that high a bar with who he was dating.

He did date comic Kom after all.

Georgia even at her worst is practically a saint compared to her.

Granted that isn't exactly all that difficult.

Zeus arranged their marriage, but apparently forgot to tell Persephone and Demeter about it.

That priestess of Hades said that when Herakles freed Prometheus Zeus was off fucking Ganymede.

So we know he may not take all his responsibilities seriously.

When Hades came to get her she was so terrified because he is a pretty scary guy, even if he's mellowed out now, and apparently one of the only people who can stop him agreed to give her away.

Hades also thought she knew that she was arranged to be married to him.

I don't think she hates him, but she probably doesn't love him, even if she probably appreciates the fact that he didn't force himself on her after he found out about the mistake.

The likes of Zeus and Apollo don't really respond all that well to the word 'No'.

Diana would be an odd match, but Donna is a member of the Team and he tends to spend time with her because of it, so the chance of them potentially starting something is possible.

Even Diana is a possibility, albeit one that would happen years down the line.

He could join the League sometime in the future and spend more time with her, and considering that he's immortal they can be around each other for decades before they decide to start something.

Yeah.

She did get more characterization in the Red Hood comic later on though.

9. Rieverre

Rieverre The Thing That Should Not Be

Oh, hey, it's Zag!

... dammit, not I can't get over the desire to see a sidestory relating The Mortal Adventures Of Zag And Spot.

You know you want to, too.

10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I've been kinda overloaded with work so I haven't read the thread in... several days. Catching up but skipping the discussion...

Uh... I have no idea why I quoted this and I can't find anything that needs corrected in that post.

known

If he's imitating the SI's accent, shouldn't this be "arse"? Or is it really that bad of an impression?

11. Mr Zoat

I can't help you there.
    Thank you, corrected.
    It's pretty bad.

12. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

This has Eris's fingerprints all over it.

Is she trying to start another Trojan war?

"Oh Persephone, you should keep an eye on Paul. He is becoming close to your Daughter and is quite the rapscallion. I am sure you have heard about the number of Amazons he's impregnated." :sneaky:

(All hail Eris!)

13. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait, who would be doing that? Demeter Persephone or Hela? Or does Hades just get a serious case of Buyer's Remorse and wants some heroes to come put him out of his misery?

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he meant Hel there.

Though I'm not completely sure.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Yes. Hel, Goddess of Disease and ruler of the dishonoured dead.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Hel is the Norse goddess of Death...

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I dunno. I've always held that Zeus is, among his more widely acknowledged mantles, the god of adultery. In which case fucking Ganymede would absolutely fall within his responsibilities.

I dunno. That seems more likely to prevent chaos than to cause it. If she'd wanted to cause it she'd pen a love letter "from Paul" asking Melinoe to come visit. And not tell Paul about it until she showed up with popcorn a minute or so after Melinoe got there.

18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No, it's guardian is not someone who uses the power to save the world, it's guardian is someone who hoards it like a dragon's gold.

The problem was not Sivana stealing power from the Rock of Eternity.

The problem was that the foolish fucker was going to empty it like a stereotypical dumped girl eating all the ice cream while watching romcoms.

The Captain Marvel family could have more members than the Legion of Superheroes. The Power of Zeus could provide clean infinite energy to everyone on Earth. The Wisdom of Solomon could run all the machines on Earth.

The energy taken to Marvelize Georgia amounted to basically a rounding error.

Xmaster3000, BBJimmy and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She's probably the goddess of disease in this story.

Disease does tend to bring death.

Also myths tend to be fairly conflicting a lot of the time, so it isn't unusual for one myth to say a god is responsible for one thing and another to say they are responsible for something else.

In Norse myths Odin also qualifies as a death god.

It's possible that he's the only death god the Norse have in this story, and Hela just rules over a group of dead people. Kinda like how Hades is the God of the Dead, but not the God of Death, which is Thanatos.

She may also be a goddesses of death for all we know, seeing as Old Gods are apparently able to have more than one Divine Domain, but Zoat decided to mention just one of her domains.

Did you... forget the fact that the Marvel family uses that power to save lives, the world and stop threats?

The same goes for the Wizard.

Yes they may not use it in the most efficient manner, and that's assuming it can be used the way you're suggesting, but to claim that they don't use that power to save the world when they very clearly do is just foolish.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  20. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

What a convincing argument!

I shall now discover the corona virus vaccine and proceed to administer it to my select chosen few.

Pshaw! *waves hand in dismissal* What do you mean I’m massively wasting the potential of the one wholly unique thing only I can provide!

Xmaster3000, True Ninja and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Threadmarks: A Week in the Life of (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

15th April
    10:48 GMT

Melinoë absentmindedly rubs her arms as we look down at the Mother Star's unfocused eye. The lack of air doesn't seem to bother either her or her brother, but it seems that being this far from home is making her a little uncomfortable.

Or it could be the dead giant star starfish god thing, but I rather assumed that she was used to things like that.

She turns away from it, looking right at me instead.

"It's dead."

"Yes, I spotted that. Is it still dreaming?"

She rolls her eyes. "Stop reading Lovecraft. None of it is literally true."

"You weren't inspiring him then?"

"European folklore and racism inspired him. I didn't have anything to do with it. If a creature dies, it doesn't dream. Its soul might still have a connection to the Dreaming, its life might change the texture of part of the Dreaming, but it won't dream and it won't have nightmares. Living things have nightmares."

I bow my head slightly.

"So you're not getting anything from this?"

She opens her mouth slightly and then appears to think better of it, closing her lips and turning back to the Mother Star.

"If you want me to guide you through the Dreaming to someone who can actually answer you-."

"No. No, I'm perfectly happy to leave that particular can of worms well alone. I doubt that Morpheus would exactly be thrilled with the Host of the Ophidian popping by for a visit."

"If you dream, then you visit the Dreaming." Her head comes up slightly. "Did I really just have to say that?"

"I'm not so sure. No soul, remember. At least, originally. And I kept dreaming after coming here. I think that my dreams.. at least were just a reinterpreted mess of images thrown up by my brain ticking over while I slept."

"I suppose that's not entirely stupid. What about now?"

Huh. Alright, the magic I've integrated should mean that I'm just as capable of entering the Dreaming as anyone else. But would all of my warding disrupt that? Atlanteans have studied the process a little, but I'm a fairly unique case. There's nothing… That stands out to me as showing that my dreams changed between pre-soul and post-soul.

"Don't know. But I'm a Hellenist. Do you know anything about my nightmares?"

"I think it's too far away?"

"Hm? Oh, from Earth. Yes, I thought that might be a problem." I shrug. "I do actually know roughly where these things came from. If you want, we can hop between systems until we find a planet with a lively enough magic field to be worth investigating."

"And how long would that take?"

"Assuming that you can manage passage through the Honden of Avarice, perhaps an h-."

"No." Zagreus shakes his head. "Veto."

"If you're concerned for Melinoë's chastity, I assure you-."

"Oh, I'm not." He brings his right fist to his chest. "I'm not. But a demi-god like you bringing my sweet little sister into his place of power? Our mother would be quite upset."

"My lady Melinoë?"

She doesn't look around. "She probably would. She's been getting a bit… Weird about it."

"And your feelings on the subject?"

"Because my life is so incomplete without seeing the dreams of a dead starfish."

"I… I'm sorry, I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not. It sounds like you are, but you're the Goddess of Nightmares and Madness so you could-."

"And what would you do if I did want to go?"

"I would entreat your mother directly. Or swear an oath of her choice that whatever it is she fears happening would not happen. Or given that I'm reasonably sure that you're over eighteen-."

Zagreus narrows his eyes. "Can you afford to anger another deity?"

"I'm not sure. I talked Hera into divorcing Zeus and all that happened was that I got hit with lightning once. The Themysciran oracles have been glaring at me, but other than that I haven't noticed any fallout from the.. incident with Apollo. On the other hand, Eris, Hephaestus and your regal father have been genuinely helpful."

Zagreus regards me curiously. "I rather doubt that our father has been genuinely helpful yet. You are still alive."

"Except for when I wasn't. And just-" I shake my head. "-knowing that I have somewhere to go when I die is a tremendous weight off my mind. Try living in a purely material universe if you want some concept of my old ennui."

I let the glow of my environmental shield grow brighter, the normally skin tight orange outline gaining considerable volume.

"And I'm the philosophical leader of an organisation that believes quite strongly in personal fulfilment. If you want to go, then I'll deal with Queen Persephone as best I can."

Koriand'r frowns. "Why would you not simply fly from world to world?"

"Because that would take weeks. The Star Conquerors were a galactic threat, and some of the people who live in the places they once lived are pretty darn hostile. And I'm really not convinced that Persephone would be happier about me taking more time."

"I haven't even agreed to go anywhere with you!"

"When fishing with a rod, you bait the hook and then leave it there. You don't shove it in the fish's mouth."

Zagreus jabs at me with his right forefinger.

"That sort of comment bothers me, to say nothing of how our mother would feel-."

"Shut up, both of you." Melinoë straightens slightly. "I think I can feel something."

Melinoë's form… Changes. It's subtle, but her outline becomes slightly indistinct and her horns and colouration become slightly more pronounced. Direct Dreaming connection. I wonder if she'd mind us studying her?

"That's interest-."

And she vanishes.

Oooooooooh… Whoops.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  22. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Welp. Persephone isn’t going to be happy about that. Hades, while he’s usually chill, is also not going to be happy about it, either.

23. Bigking321

Bigking321 Not too sore, are you?

Wait...

Did he bring someone that's the embodiment of dreams and nightmares to a alien starfish thing that possibly EATS dreams?

This seems poorly thought out...

24. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Yep, she's right, that's certainly interstitial.

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

remove the first star

'hop'

26. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

You know you say that, but I don't think so. It's a starfish of the stars. Star starfish.

27. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Paaauhaaauuul, did you loose a Goddess again?

Well, I do so hope that this will mean he will get to meet the Endless now.

I am honestly excited about what Zoat would do with DCs/Gailman's Death :)

Xmaster3000, JoTa34, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  28. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Not if you’re using a blue power ring - then you hope between systems. :p

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, that one's intentional.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well if he has Alan help him, or have Kori, who may try to use the blue ring in space, sure, but he's going to be using his own ring.

Do you mean that because the thing is a 'god from the stars' i.e. a god from outer space, or something else, because the sentence doesn't make much sense?

If it is that then maybe you can add a / between star and starfish, like star/starfish god.

If it's not these things then can you elaborate on what you meant, because the sentence doesn't make much sense to me when I read it aloud?