1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe his inability to use his rings during the duel made her decide to leave.

Women don't tend to like a guy who can't get it up when the situation demands it.

Performance issues, a pain for every man.

Ardy likes this.
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Do not mock the sippy straw you bastard.

Or she's embarrassed to go there after OL couldn't use his rings.

View it like a woman stepping out of the room when you couldn't get an erection.

But better since we can actually see it and don't have to go over it again to see if we missed something.

'Also a Fanboy of ponies, to the point an alternate of me is going to fuck one'

They may be used to it, what with Melmoth potentially screaming in her head and Canis may have dealt with Desaad, and I bet that he screeches when he orders others around.

And get another New God ally.

To be honest while I knew New Gods had some regenerative capabilities I didn't think they were powerful enough to regrow lost limbs.

I thought all the times renegade healed from those injuries he was using his rings, a purple ray, a Box or something like that.

She may have come from the Earths past, but she also came from an advanced civilization so that may not have been normal.

But if Apokaliptians were responsible for making Aurakle in this universe then it's possible that it was normal..

Even if it wasn't, her time with Melmoth may have made her very determined to not lose another fight ever again.

If they do manage to actually revive her then she's probably going to need a lot of therapy, assuming she doesn't have some kinda trauma resistance like Tamaraneans in this story have.

Mr Miracle spent time being tortured on Apokalips since he was a baby and he seems to be mentally stable from what we've seen.

Granted that could be his god powers at work freeing him from the traumas he's experienced.

There was this Worm fic called Therapy in which Taylor gains the power to cure people of mental illnesses and stay sane herself no matter what happens to her, so maybe Free also has some kinda similar sanity keeper power.

Canis may not have changed all that much since he came to Earth.

This disgust of his for Melmoths actions may have been how he would react even before he came to Earth.

He did grow up on a planet where the leader can make people bend to his will and he actually believes all the things his boss says, so even spending time away from that place may not be enough to get rid of his beliefs like it would be for typical cultists.

nick012000, Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  3. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Maybe it’s the “equalness” effect? Paul isn’t allowed to summon the full might of Ophidian, but is allowed to use that connection and his own metaphysical might to even the odds.

Caerwen, Fellow, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  4. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Honestly, I'm with Canis here.
    She's not just horribly and tortuously mutated. She's dead, possessed and mutated.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She may still like to live.

At least long enough to kill Melmoth should he still be alive, or just destroy his plans.

Prince Charon, Wetbananas and Ardy like this.
  6. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

I think I have a different definition of monster than you.

Monster doesn't mean evil. It's just a way of saying "not human", to the point he only sort of fits amonst them.

And, I find Diana to be very human, if only in an Exemplar sort of way. Starfire is not of Earth, but she's closer in mindset to human than OL is.

I get the feeling that for many minor Psis, OL would be weird, or terrorfying, to be near. He looks human, but feels a bit like being near a Mythos leviathan.

Ngamer11 likes this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Most peoples definition of a monster is an evil being, not just something that isn't completely human.

A more proper description for OL would be unusual, abnormal or just plain weird.

All of these convey that he's not an usual human, but they don't imply that he's evil, unlike the term monster which does imply that he's evil.

And while some may find his unusual spiritual and mental nature to be somewhat disturbing, others may view it as being beautiful.

When they investigated that town which turned out to have a warlock working for Melmoth in it, the telepath boy there found Paul's mind to be a wonderful place to be in due to his enlightenment compared to the cluttered and disorderly minds of ordinary humans.

8. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

Ya know, I was all like 'that's not how that's spelled', but then to my embarrassment I'd forgotten how it's actually spelled and had to Google it. Weird how some of the simplest things will suddenly slip the mind.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Simonbob and Darko like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, I'm happy with those.
    Yes.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No.
    No, I think that's correct.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hope he does it in the future then.

It can potentially get some Tamaranean ghosts some much needed rest, it gets the still living Tamaraneans a place to go to after they die, it gets him some more points in Hades's good books, especially after the whole Melinoe kidnapping incident, and if he can introduce Helios to the Tamaraneans then he can potentially gain the favor of another Olympian, and assuming that Helios can somehow empower a Tamaranean then he may be able to empower Kori and Kom as his champions and make the OLC at least a little bit stronger.

Ngamer11 and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    [​IMG]

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm reminded of this fantasy book in which zombies were treated as second class citizens and worked in horrible conditions, basically they were something like an analogue for minorities, and they protested for their rights.

Paul has a pretty good track record of helping the undead so far what with getting all those souls into Erebus.

The whole thing with Nabu being the biggest exception, along with maybe a few demons that were human once.

Istaran and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Or people have massively over estimated just how much the Entity actually cares for Paul.

Cuchulin and Lupercal like this.
  14. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

Nabu was never considered not a person. He just had to die anyway. OL has killed plenty of people he considered people.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True, but Paul did still kinda use laws that considered Nabu to not be a person.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

More like he used an obscure law that wasn't really used anymore but technically still legal, at the very least if the Justice League was willing to take him into custody he would be ready to use the justice system to his advantage, and while America and other countries may be willing to expand rights to sentient non-human beings there are places that persecute said beings with very little judgement.

Plus even if he can't permanently save her he can at least gain a temporary ally who could help stop Melmoths, afterwards be can have her body studied to learn more ways to empower another being or avoid from possibly killing them instead, especially if he dies again but gets stuck in his corpse.

Cuchulin, Ngamer11 and Darko like this.
  17. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Giving him her heart seems like a pretty big commitment.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The whole heart thing may have been just a metaphor, but she is commited to him.

When he asked her what she wanted she said that she wanted him, and when Truggs stole the ring she was desiring to come back to Paul.

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Pretty sure that was just a metaphor.

And it was also a thing that happened before there were a bunch of other more interesting people for the Ophidian to obsess over.

Cuchulin likes this.
  20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Tamaraneans are an advanced people, not primitives who just discovered fire.

If their religion doesn't have an afterlife then by definition their religion doesn't require one.

21. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I think maybe this is supposed to be 'duck under her helmet'?

Darko, Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  22. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Yeah, about that.

Lord Ernest likes this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, I'm not exactly site that's how it works in this story.

Just because their religion doesn't require one doesn't mean that they don't require one.

Souls typically need someplace to go and if Tamaran wasn't magically powerful enough to make something like an Old God, I remember that when Renegade took Talbot to Tamaran to give him a ring that Doom guy was feeling out the local magic and renegade said that it was weaker than Earth's, then they may not have an afterlife, even if they do in their religious beliefs.

From everything we know of X'hal she's more like an extremely superpowered Tamaranean, rather than an arcane being.

X'hal also may not be able to do anything to souls or for them, so she might be unable to help them in their post death existence, but Hades can.

I'm also not sure what the two sentences you just wrote have to do with each other, like how is the fact that they're advanced actually mean they don't require an afterlife.

The Gordanians and Karnans were advanced and Paul thought it was a good idea to build a temple on their world to get rid of any ghosts.

Earth is advanced, yet they need afterlives of some kind for souls to go to, or at least have some kind of system set up to deal with that.

Paul isn't a primitavist, yet he worships various gods so that he has a place to go to post death.

Tamaran may not have an afterlife due to X'hal not making one, or even being incapable of doing it, due to things like not knowing how to, or being unable to manipulate souls or magic on any level due to her being more of a hyper powerful metatamaranean rather than an arcane being, or just not being interested in doing it, and if they're not particularly magically active then they may not be able to make one for themselves out of their beliefs, so now there could be countless souls on their world that haven't found rest.

Them having the option of going to Erebus is a good thing since they can actually find some rest.

They may also just be interested in other religions that are shown to them and some of them may like to convert for the practical benefits the Hellenistic faith can offer them, like an afterlife they may like.

I think I remember that Zoat said on this site that the Heart thing was just a metaphor, but I may be mistaken, or Zoat changed his mind since he posted that on SB and now it is a metaphor.

He has stated that he sometimes doesn't think every single thing through unless it's somehow relevant to the story.

24. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

So then why do OL and various supernatural beings hear the heartbeat when he goes full orange?

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Good point.

Maybe he has the literal heart or it was just a metaphor and those sounds were him connecting to her using the piece in him.

Zoat does Paul have the actual heart of the Ophidian for a soul, or was it just a metaphor?

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

His soul is made of the orange light, and the Ophidian is the orange light so it's kind of both. Plus we have examples of entities like New Gods where the metaphor literally makes reality conform to it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, but I was wondering if it was just random bits of the Ophidian, or something a bit bigger, like her heart, acting as his soul.

28. Threadmarks: Faed Away (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

5th May
    03:15 GMT -5

Canis takes a moment to look over the stupefied undead mutant before us.

"How?"

"I'm curious to know that myself."

I don't know if Melmoth can see us or is limited to hearing us, but in either case I want him not to be.

I still the air and absorb the light around the periphery of the room, causing the walls to turn jet black. I don't know if that actually works, but it's the best I can do for now.

"Was your Mother Box able to work out how Melmoth is interacting with this place?"

"No. She deciphered an impression of his work that may help Doctor Mist comprehend it, but all I can say is that it he is not using New God technology." He continues to stare at Aurakos. "I did not even know she was here."

"Ping."

"Where?"

I.. step closer. I've never tried using a purple ray on an undead before, and I.. don't think this is a good time to experiment. Without armour an x-ionised blade should be able to cut through the.. mutated parts. Cut them off-.

"Ping."

"Canis, if a New God has a limb cut off, how quickly do they regrow it?"

"Unaided? If they focus their efforts, perhaps a month."

"And aided?"

"That would depend upon the nature of the aid. With a Mother Box, a skilled New God healer and a ready source of magic, less than a day."

I closely examine the hole I made in her forehead. It's scabbed over and the skin of her face was affected by the uncontrolled growth a little, but… Okay, I can scan the bone and flesh… Somewhat. My magic sense is telling me that there's.. more that I'm not seeing, but… Whatever I do will literally be better than a hole in the head.

A quick flash of orange light and the hole is patched.

"How about… Internal organs?"

"A little faster. Depending on the damage."

"I ask because her head is least affected. If I cut it off and rebuilt a facsimile of her body, would she survive?"

"That is… Somewhat outside my field. You could ask my uncle, or his natural father." He smiles broadly, still unable to tear his eyes away. "This is a fascinating experience. I had foolishly thought that I was beyond horror. When I commemorate this day, I will paint feelings that I thought I had forgotten."

"Wraith, let her speak."

"I am not preventing that, Master."

"Okay. So, Canis, any idea on whether waiting and handing her over to someone else would be better than trying to restore her myself?"

"I have never heard of anything like this."

"Ping."

"And neither has Mother Box."

Hm. Well, I've seen enough people that I know what the fundamental drives look like. Implanting them in someone without them is well within my abilities. They won't be balanced; I can't give other emotions. But combined with New God physiology, it… Should jumpstart her. Without turning her into Larfleeze Mark 2.

'Should.'

"Orange Lantern to anyone."

I wait, but there's no response. Then-.

I look at the stairs, then at the giant grundywoman.

She won't fit. Leaving her down here -even temporarily- seems like a bad idea. So I can either cut bits off her or try and fix her. Or I could blast my way out and potentially destroy Sheeda equipment which we need to analyze. Or.. I could send Canis outside of the area and request guidance.

I fabricate a length of fibre optic cable, communication relay at both ends.

"Canis, head back to the surface. Lay this along the way."

I hand it to him and he takes it, nodding, finally looking away from Aurakos.

"I'd like to help Aurakos, but the people of Columbia take priority. Tell Diana what happened and ask for orders."

"Very well." He nods, turns to leave, then… Hesitates. "May I ask you to inform me before you work on her? I wish to see everything which occurs with my own eyes, hear it with my own ears. Smell it with-."

"Mission permitting, yes."

He runs for the stairs at what I recognise is his maximum 'not-trashing-the-environment-with-super-strength' running speed.

And… Then it's me and Aurakos. Who's… Drooling slightly. Ugh. Okay, not doing anything major is only sensible, but I can… Tidy things up a little. And… Maybe a small shrine to Hades? She is undead, and I don't know anything about religious practices in her era. If she has another death god then she'll go to them anyway, but some death gods really don't like the idea of undeath and I don't want to create a restless shade if she gets rejected.

As far as I can tell, her mutated flesh has grown in fairly predictable way. Veins, arteries and nerves… Yes, they're distorted, but they're still there, even if they're not doing their usual job any longer. And whatever New God exotic defence she would usually have appears to have been destroyed by Melmoth's work. Or at least massively weakened. So while a full genetic analysis is probably…

Oh. No, that makes perfect sense to me. A bit more Neanderthal than most modern humans, but perfectly comprehensible. So I can clone the tissue I need for a patch-job, rather than cloning DNA-free tissue and hoping that her body adapts it. Grundies only decay from damage rather than microbial infection, so the lack of biological activity shouldn't be a problem.

Right. Done. It's a patch job and it's probably magically wrong, but she could function as an organic life form now. I mean, she'd probably have trouble moving in a controlled way, but-. Actually what was Melmoth going for here? Boosted strength wouldn't help her against me. My main defence is agility, with selective immunity as a secondary. Being more muscular wouldn't help.. much, particularly not when it would cost her agility like this. An accident? Was she fighting his control and disrupted the spell? I didn't… See a flare of orange, but that's not a completely reliable guide.

I send filaments to pick up the broken pieces of her armour and fabricate a clay bowl, along with a flask of scented oil and a piece of string to serve as a wick. Kneeling is.. awkward in this armour, but I pour oil into the bowl and lie the wick in it as I put in on the ground.

"Lord Hades, please aid this fallen hero. I ask that you either receive her swiftly and painlessly and judge her fairly, or grant her forbearance and allow her to return to the living world."

I watch it burn for a moment, focusing my mind on the image of Hades sitting in judgement. Going by the lines I saw last time I was there, he probably won't get to her quickly even if he hears me.

Not much else I can do until I hear from Canis.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  29. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

And so a dead god shows up in Hades, and Hades just says "Pavlos".

30. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

"Pavlos, another gift for me? These gifts just keep getting better! Do you treat Eris even better than this?"