1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I'm not sure this is Future Paragon, it might be another timeline entirely.

After all, Grayven's the one that recruited Luna first, and Paragon has absolutely zero interaction with MLP.

Granted, given the statements regarding godhood and how it interacts with him in Gate-world, it's actually possible that Grayven really mellows out and this is Future Renegade.

2. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

A more pertinent question is why haven't the Corp track down the Illustres when he was held captive? The only reason I can think of is that the Gate-verse gods obfuscated or quarantined their world to prevent further extra-universal incursions originating from the DC multiverse. That, or it is a actually a known habit of the Illustres to take multi-century sabbaticals and he didn't bother to tell anyone where he was going.

Finerc, Gilhelmi, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nope, this is future paragon.

If paragon does travel to other universe to recruit people and solve some issues then he most likely went to a different version of Wilson to recruit Luna.

There were differences between the two versions, like the one in Fools Canon may have been in a DC universe, seeing as apparently there was a ship from a DC race in there, unless paragon took Luna to his universe.

And Luna and Celestia were apparently 8.000 years old when Luna was imprisoned, while in the renegade chapters that version of Luna was in her mid forties and Celestia was 1045 years old or close to that.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Gilhelmi, Ardy, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  4. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

This version of the SI, whether he's Paragon or not, met Luna while she was still imprisoned in Wilson's moon. It's pretty unlikely that this is Renegade.

Ardy, Cuchulin, Wheenesss and 2 others like this.
  5. AidanMorgan

Fair enough. Though, being stuck in GATE feels kinda like a Bad End for Paragon, honestly, just from the information posted in these two.

Cuchulin, Wheenesss, CTrees and 2 others like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He has gotten out of some tough jams before, so he may figure out a way out of this eventually.

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Gotta be honest, this sidestory is kind of boring.

That's because it's not Future Paragon.

It may have been once upon a time, but the moment they changed how the multiverse worked is the moment it became just an aborted potential future.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    She eventually became Clarissi, decades after her initial recruitment.
    Yes and yes.
    I think that's implied.
    I haven't decided.

Well, about a decade ago now, but yes.
    More like 1045.
    There's a story down in NSFW where the saiyan Queen Teach tells some aliens that her species don't have an idea of a paradise afterlife. The closest they have is a massive war in which they're constantly fighting. The SI has no objection to being somewhere that needs a lot of work doing to it.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should be Going Native. It is also found on SB.

Cuchulin, Gilhelmi, Wheenesss and 3 others like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Thank you, corrected.

So Dox had his head blown to pieces.

Makes sense.

Well that or he went insane because no one would listen to him and they had to put him down.

Going Native by Ideas Guy.

And on Fanfiction.net.

Gilhelmi, Ardy, Wheenesss and 2 others like this.
  11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hardly. I suspect any Orange Lanterns come looking would be making a much larger show of things. They'd also likely have zeroed in on the Ring's location, unless there were some serious magical wards hiding it...

Besides, he has patience. Sooner or later something would happen or his Corps would have come looking. And I doubt they would suffer the same fate he did, given the average Orange Lantern is a lot less spiritual than OL is.

Ah, a Believer. At least OL doesn't demand outright obesiance, merely service and assistance, so there's no actual religion involved.

Must be one hell of a coverup to keep that kind of loss concealed so well. Presumably they're mostly alive and captured on the other side.

Your newest Lantern has arrived, I see. It'll be interesting to see how good he is. After all, he no doubt wants to avoid dying.

Heh, the niceties must be observed, after all... Keep up the show.

And OL always makes sure those who aid him are well rewarded. Especially those he considers friends.

Nice boy. Bit of a keen one.

Presumably, Vril Dox II has died of old age by this point? Even an Orange Lantern is mortal, despite their desire to remain young. Or maybe he just retired to raise a family. Hopefully without the shenanigans of the L.E.G.I.O.N comics. :oops:

And with you regulating the flow of Orange Light, there's no danger of him going Larfleeze, or even Ragnar. Could be messy if he'd decided that maybe with this ring, :sneaky: he could be a better emperor than his father or brother...

Oof. Let's hope he's not too afraid to channel Avarice.

No crying out, though. So he's got some guts at least.

A mere formality, really. I mean, he will be in charge of an army, just not the one he thinks he will. An army of one, if you will.

And maybe take the opportunity to sit in the eyes of a few jumped-up elementals, eh? Once he sorts out this whole Gate situation.

Pfft, God no. Total waste of a life. No, Diabo, you're going to be a Lantern!

Boy, this kid must have been stepped on hard growing up... Must have been cold, living in his father's shadow.

Heh, this really is a recruitment, isn't it? Admittedly, an unusual one, where the recruiter is the ring he's offering...

Truer words were never spoken in this world. I bet OL will have a lot of fun sorting things out...

Yes, Diabo's older brother... If anything, the only lesson he's learned from his father is how to be an unrepentant asshat.

Makes me wonder, did any Orange Lantern ever make use of a power ring as a wedding ring in this timeline... Would be an amazing gift, certainly.

:D I love that he leads with that. The voice of personal experience always speaks clearest.

That may sound impressive, but keep in mind, they do have flying mounts. Wymerns and the like.

Oh, you are in for a treat. Once you learn to avoid the beginner's trap of the swimmer's position, and the like.

"Well, I've always had a saying: 'Power rings are awesome.'"

Defeat is such an ambiguous word, Diabo. You may be thinking of smiting them in battle. OL is more than likely thinking of diplomacy.

Yep, he's planning on flipping the board. Stuff the Emperor's wishes, let's teach some jumped-up elementals a lesson about messing with people...

And you don't want that, do you? Make him look good? :rolleyes: Pfft.

Overthrowing a crooked regime 101, lesson 1. Letting the people know what's really going on in their kingdom.

Oh, boy. The Gods thought they messed up in Canon by opening the Gate? This world, they done fucked up ten times harder. Because now they have an Orange Lantern with something he wants done... And a detailed knowledge of magic, by this time in his life... Gentlemen, can someone cue up the evil laughter? You know the one.

Thank you.

12. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Seems strange for this Paul to be talking about hope when he's all orange, all the time. Maybe "I desire that"?

Gilhelmi likes this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'spread throughout'

Cuchulin and Mr Zoat like this.
  14. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

I haven't poked at that, sorry; as it happens buddy cop plots with the largest hams and most pungent cheese are so my jam so the anime is all I needed. :D

Cuchulin, Gilhelmi and OrigamiPhoenix like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nothing stopping an enlightened Lantern from feeling other emotions.

16. moralrelativity

What am I missing? Why is everyone assuming this is OL, I was assuming that this was just another Paul.

17. egooo

egooo Getting sticky.

Zoat gave a WoG a few pages back, this is future!Paragon Paul.
    The one that (by now centuries ago) shagged it with Luna, Azula and Tai Lung during the jumpbug episode.

And Vaermina keeps on harping on about Zoat somehow not having the authorial fiat to say that.

U know, the usual.
    :V

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unless they wanted to keep a somewhat low profile.

As John Oliver pointed out when he made his church, anything can be a religion.

Or given that SAO Abridged video we were shown he either had his head blown off or became insane when no one would listen to his good advice

Or the REBELS comic.

Seriously I can't see him and Komand'r working out given that they're both control freaks who may try to control each other all the time, and both hate others controlling them.

He can decide that even without his ring, and he'd be right.

And near his brothers psychotic behavior.

Well from a snippet I once read OL may give Jade a power ring in the future so it's possible.

Just make sure that there are no robots attacking the base when you're shitting.

And he excelled in his studies on that subject.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well Paul is bisexual and we've seen a version of him that's a furry and another one that's dating a pony right now, plus we know that he doesn't mind crazy chicks, as in literary having some mental problems crazy, so it would make sense if he fucked these people, given that shagged is British for fucked.

Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  20. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Short-term, this is almost certainly correct. It's entirely likely that the major powers won't put enough pressure on Japan until and unless they know there's enough in it for them to get returns on the investment. They'll probably assume a watch and wait stance on the issue until there's compelling enough evidence that doing otherwise would be more in their interests than maintaining the status-quo with Japan in contemporary international relations.

I'd think that it would take around five years before enough intelligence leaks out through SIGINT and HUMINT that Russia, China, the United States, and the EU force an ultimatum down Japan's throat to allow them full and unrestricted access or else.

Given the advantages of magical training for government operatives and science-based initiatives as well as the wealth of biological data and usable species on the other side, to say nothing of the various other races and their unique abilities, that ultimatum would probably be very heavy-handed indeed.

I say this as someone who very much enjoyed Gate, but it's blatant and unapologetic JSDF propaganda and Japanese-wank in general. Japan could almost certainly manage to play the major powers off each other by way of offering tidbits and pieces of what they bring back, but it would only work to whet the appetites of the other nations and ward off the inevitable by some few years. I'd give it a decade at the most, and even that's with a few serious concessions on Japan's part to the rest of the world in terms of research data, etc...

Mid-to-Long-Term, it's extremely likely that Japan caves or faces a very literal invasion and forcible occupation of the Gate Zone as an area of international importance, damn the consequences.

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It was really the 'people are born, they live, and then they die' bit I was trying to draw attention to. The SI's extreme longevity comes from a deep-seated abhorrence of decay and death. It doesn't come with the orange ring as a freebie.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Okay I would like to point out that while it's funny calling gods jumped up elementals we have to remember that they are one of the most powerful beings in whatever setting they are in.

Yeah the ones in GATE may not be all that, but they still managed to put Paul in his ring, albeit that may be because he had no idea what was going on and they surprised him.

However we also call the Olympians as just being jumped up elementals even though we've seen them do some highly impressive things.

Oceanus was able to nearly drown the world and survive being hit by a singularity weapon and take on the entire League and Team, which included several powerful demigods, a Lord of Order, several skilled Lanterns, one Lantern that merged with an Entity, and a slew of other things, and the thing that beat him in the end was when Helios blessed Kon. So it took the power of one such 'jumped up elemental' to beat another one that was beating the shit out of the others.

And aside from the blessing he gave Kon to beat Oceanus, Helios was also able to give Kon another blessing which can potentially allow him to do some serious damage to a planet.

The Khandaqi gods also gave Adom the power to be on roughly the same level of power and strength as a Kryptonian, one of the most ridiculously strong races out there.

A lot of the Greeks also did something similar for Billy.

Gaia was able to make Diana, another person on a similar level to a Kryptonian, and Cronus was able to make Donna, while he was imprisoned no less.

The Olympians and the other gods of Earth basically fit the definition most people have of what a god is, an immortal magical being whose powers can be affected by prayer and worship.

If they fit these criteria then calling them jumped up elementals is just kind of ridiculous, unless you mean it in a joking manner.

We might as well call the New Gods jumped up demi gods.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I knew that in order to use the ring to extend your life you had to want to extend your life, but I thought that the whole head exploding was implying something else.

Ardy likes this.
  24. AidanMorgan

Eh, there probably isn't a handy snippet with just the "Sometimes, things are born. They live, and then they stop. Forever." quote.

Cuchulin, Ardy, CTrees and 1 other person like this.
  25. OrigamiPhoenix

OrigamiPhoenix Getting sticky.

26. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Rather than watching the anime or reading the manga, it may be better to just read the wiki. Mind you, the anime is visually well done, so if you don't care too much about the bad story and just want to look at something cool, feel free to watch it.

ChestBurster and RichardWhereat like this.
  27. moralrelativity

Thank you for filling me in. Much appreciated.

I muted them several weeks ago. It seems that decision paid off again.

JamesEye, Cuchulin, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  28. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

That's... Interesting. Yes, Gate is pro-JSDF and pro-japan, but no more than, say, Stargate or Iron Man are for USA. It doesn't even really register.

As for whether Japan would cave in to demands... That depends. I think only like two years have passed up to the point I've seen. It would kinda depend whether Japan can use the gate resources to get Sufficiently Advanced before ultimatums come.
    Given that the point of the show is modernity mostly trumping fantasy, with few notable exceptions, that might be much to ask.
    Yet on the other hand, the size of the gate bottlenecks the RAW resource amounts so much it actually isn't that interesting. It's mostly just about exotic samples, and those the other countries will probably be able to buy eventually.

29. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Fellow and OrigamiPhoenix like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

Yes, Stargate was a bit bad for that. They narrowly dodged multiple apocalypses brought about by their actions and didn't even consider telling other countries until they had no choice.

However, I don't remember the militaries of other countries being shown as universally incompetent or having nonsensical motivations.

What period of Iron Man are you referring to?