1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

And undo the future that is Aku...

2. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

I wonder how Artemis feels about Grayven now that he and Jade are no longer together. Especially now that she knows he definitely killed her horrible dad. Did Grayven's Artemis ever learn about her relatives on her father's side like OL's Artemis did?

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No.

4. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Mr Zoat is Synth School any good?

5. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Last I checked Mother Box only used "Ping" to communicate, not "Pung".

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She might still be getting used to the place and that's why she sounds like that.

Fellow and Assblaster5000 like this.
  7. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Say what you will about Nurgle, but the 'Nids are pure efficiency when it comes to that stuff, all they're doing is being procedural about things.

Hmmm, fair enough, anywhere that can make a Mother Box struggle has to have some pretty out there physics going on, either that or something even more crazy is happening.

Still felt like it was best to point out just in case though.

8. Mr Zoat

I tend to feel that the Underground's focus should be on getting Synths away from the operational area of the Institute.

9. DeathlessProficiency

DeathlessProficiency Know what you're doing yet?

Did we ever figure out where they are and how they got there?

Edit: Nevermind, they jumped into the transtemporal green goo aboard Castle Revolving when Dr. Silvana was about to pull some dangerous shenanigans with his blood rune and they are probably in the Sheeda future Earth/Land of Summer based on the coral and the vampire sun's degenerating effects.

Grayven and Artemis bonding time! Life changing adventure! Wooh!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Xmaster3000 likes this.
  10. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

Shouldn't it be "A chunk of the mob"?

11. Threadmarks: Summer's End (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

The Other Shoe
    Dropping

Artemis and I stare into the distance at the dimly visible lights shining in the air.

She huffs, slowly.

"Well obviously they're not gunna be friendly. But it's not like we've got anywhere else to go."

"I'm curious as to how unfriendly they'll be. And the form that unfriendliness will take."

"Guess it's not Captain Cold who's keeping the planet cool." Side by side we walk slowly towards the almost certainly artificial illumination. "Whatever it was you did to kill Vandal Savage. Think it stuck?"

Huh. It's an interesting question. When I last saw it the Vandal Savage construct was in a storage vault in Challenger Mountain working on the fifth volume of his autobiography. But constructs don’t age. And if I wasn't around… He'd just have stayed there until… What? Whatever it was that drained my rings started up and he faded away? I don't think there's any way to turn a construct back into a person… Have to experiment with the Sword some time.

"It… Should."

"Who else is there that could have lived this long?"

"Aside from us?"

"Five billion years."

"In theory." I nod sombrely. "Yes. It's not likely and I don't know of any New Gods who've lived anything like that long, but in theory? Yes."

"Whaw. Ah. I know you said… Ah, we'd get to thirty and just kinda stop… Ageing… I guess I hadn't really thought about it in terms of… This long."

"Can't really help you, I'm afraid. I mean, some humans hit a hundred and there are a few… Vampires who are over a thousand, but older than that…"

"Other than Savage, who is there?"

"The Guardians and Controllers are a few billion years old." I glance up at the shrouded sky. "A few billion more by now, if they're still around. Richard Swift was only a few hundred but he's ageless, so he could still be around. Any New Gods, including our colleagues." I snort-splutter with amusement.

"What?"

"If that’s the home of Green Arrow and he's keeping the planet cool with heat transfer arrows, I might have a bit of a breakdown."

And… Just like that the humour vanishes.

"Has… Dinah said anything about undergoing the process herself?"

"Ah, don't want to ruin your ego here, but we don't really talk about you all that much?"

"Sure you don't."

"We don't."

"I'm an internationally renowned superhero who spends large amounts of his free time with Lex Luthor and who made significant modifications to the bodies of you and several other League members and affiliates. My brother and sister-in-law are League members and I know roughly how often Security Council members have asked when I'm getting an invite to the Justice League."

"Hey, Lex Luthor's got a space fleet! Maybe the League should invite him!"

That… Would be a stunning way to outmanoeuvre us, actually. Lex's fleet.. would become associated with the Justice League… They'd gain the firepower and… He'd be tied to their rules of engagement… He'd.. have to turn it down, but that looks like epic sour grapes given how he's made an effort to bury the hatchet with Kal-El. He could claim that he didn’t have the time, but between LexCorp and running the fleet that would obviously be nonsense.

"… What?"

"No, inviting Lex is a terrible idea."

"Well, yeah, obviously. But how would you be any better?"

"I didn't leave the team permanently because I had a burning desire to join the Justice League. I just said I know how many people responsible for the League's official status have asked about it."

"So? The only people who decide who joins the Justice League are the members of the Justice League."

"And not the people who pay for the Justice League. And provide it with the authority to operate legally in their territory and most of its intelligence reports." I give her a lopsided smile. "Be interesting to see how sustainable that proves when there are more world-class superheroes not part of the League."

She looks away. "We have to get back to the present first."

"Or find a really good historical archive."

"That's got data from five billion years ago."

"Really good." I look further ahead and upwards. The variation in intensities, the regular placement… I'd be astonished if that was a natural structure. And the straight edges say 'building' rather than, say, 'giant future cockroach warren.' "That is a tower, right?"

"Looks like it to me."

I try looking around, but it.. looks like the clouds are denser in the air around the… City? Town? Pretty vertiginous place, and I… Can't really tell how wide it is.

"Hey. How far in the future do the Sheeda come from?"

"Sivana wasn't sure. William Batson kind of blew up his suspendium before he could check how the damage affected the machine. He wasn't sure where he ended up, and he used one of their time machines to come back because they already had our temporal coordinates."

"So… That's a city full of Sheeda."

"That would make a certain amount of narrative sense, but not necessarily."

"So, what's the plan? Sneak in, try and get hold of one of their time machines and go back the same way Sivana did?"

"Time travel being what it is, Sivana might be here now. And… Okay, you know how I'm the God of Conquest..?"

"What, you want to conquer the Sheeda? Just… You and me?"

"If the Harrowing fleet isn't here, it could well be doable. They need to harvest the past for resources, because-." Artemis raises her right arm and the rusted powder that used to be part of her computer rains from her forearm. "That, yeah. But because it needs to work-."

"They put all their troops into doing it." She nods. "Because if it goes wrong, then their entire civilisation dies."

"That's what I'm guessing." Wish I'd gotten Sivana to show me a map, now. Coming here wasn't ever part of the plan. Wish I'd asked him how their civilisation actually worked. "Which means -piling assumption on assumption- that if the fleet is currently away and the last Harrowing was some time ago as the locals measure things, they're at their lowest ebb."

"There's still just two of us."

We each spend a few moments looking at each other.

"I'm a Goddess of Archery."

"And your rainbow arrows are a decent stand-in for boom tubes. And I won't have a ranged weapon until I take one from someone."

"Why don't we just go back as soon as possible?"

"Because we're ageless. Once we get a time machine we can go back to a few moments after we left. But… If we leave this in our future and don't try to learn from it… This is what becomes of Earth. One hundred percent guaranteed." I shrug. "Is this what you want the future to look like?"

"I… We need more information."

I nod. "Then let's go get some."

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Gives new meaning to the term infosec.

14. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Her right arm and her computer unless something's changed off screen?

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'we've got'

He kinda already did that with Sportsmaster and Bane if I remember correctly.

Yuga Khan may have been several billions of years old, as Hinon apparently thought he was still the leader of Apokalips, so he may have been around when she was still active pre coma, which was 3 billion years ago.

maybe 'is only a few'

Well some Old Gods may be still alive.

'our temporal'

maybe remove the , there.

'moments'

16. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, he was a few hundred years old when they left the twenty-first century.
    Thank you, corrected.
    I think that's fine.
    Thank you, corrected.

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I wonder just how long they've been travelling by this point... Hours? A few days? How far would a clearly defensive structure allow it's guard dogs to run loose?

Unless you want to keep walking in a different direction? Feel free.

Given that no-one in this timeline is working on undoing Identity Theft transformations? Yes...

As long as you're not trying it on assholes like Savage or Ra's. Do you want them getting in the wind again?

I don't know. Leprechauns, maybe? They are Maltusian!

Surprised she didn't punctuate it for emphasis. "Five. Billion. Years."

Don't worry, I'm sure the Fifth World will suffer its own Ragnarok at some point.

Some older gods? Assuming they follow Vertigo's rules, from Sandman. Remember Ishtar, working in a strip club, or that caveman who was a... Travel agent, I think?

Could be embarrassing, meeting someone they know. Imagine the reminiscing!

For you, maybe. I find that a hilarious image.

But he's such a fascinating subject! :D Surely your every waking moment should be filled with interest in his activities? He's the main character, after all.

Such insistent denial. Are you sure? Are you really sure? :p

...Wouldn't that defeat the whole point of a privately owned space fleet?

What he said! I can honestly see Lex being torn between getting his due recognition and having to play nice with The Alien.

Would still be amusing to see. Omake writers, get on that, would you? ;)

It's not like he wants to be a member of the Justice League or anything, baka. But they really would get in his way, what with their concerns about individual freedoms and people's safety.

Or the league could open up, become like the DCAU version. It might take an alien invasion to get them to work with people outside their usual clique, but hey, the Sheeda stepped up to that plate.

Very optimistic, aren't you? There's a good chance anything on the surface would now be deep below, thanks to continental drift.

Space elevator, maybe? Or the remnants of one. It may be largely deserted, and the lights are just wills o' the wisp.

Useful way to lessen the sun's radiant effects? Minimise the light hitting the surface?

And that was mostly pure luck, I expect. He's fortunate he didn't end up in the previous Harrowing's era.

Could be some form of Columbian descendant culture. Or giant light-up space bugs who moved in. Only one way to see.

Dude, no need to try and flex on the Sheeda.

It's still a bizarre concept, that only really makes sense by comic book logic, isn't it?

And only a home guard of sorts. Citizen militia or state guards, not used to having do anything more than prevent any slaves from getting ideas...

"Oh, no. No. No, no, no, no. Not a chance in hell, Grayven..."

And you can see the top of that tower... Or at least a handy landing. Put those eagle eyes to use.

:rolleyes: And he still doesn't realise whatever he does, all he'll do is make an alternate timeline... That's what you get for missing out on the big crossover, G-man.

...With the power of beating faces until someone else talks! ...Because the one you're beating up won't be doing much talking, you know?

Well, now they have a goal in sight. All they need is a plan of some kind. And I can bet what the first step is... :D Hoik themselves into the town via a Rainbow Bridge arrow, then hide while it lights up the place up...

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He doesn't know they exist.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Relyt33 and 2 others like this.
  19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

At least they don't have any resources anymore.

They might also be dead of age.

That Percival guy was apparently getting old and Ganthlet had to use some of his tech to make him younger.

The caveman that Death took after he was crushed under some construction materials was a lawyer.

The only immortal in Vertigo that became a travel agent was a Babylonian god that had wine with Dream in the past.

He also shows up in the Sandman Presents: Lucifer comics where he helps out our ehhe .... 'hero' and his plucky, somewhat sarcastic teenage sidekick.

Pretty sure.

Ohh he may not think of Clark like that anymore seeing as he's getting therapy.

I mean his recovery may be so slow that a crippled snail is criticizing him for being so slow, but at least he's taking it.

Yes. Truly the League has some odd priorities(said in a sarcastic voice)

Ahh time travel, let's not bring it up ever again.

Let's follow the example set by the Rick and Morty writers and not show it anymore.

They did it once and it was enough.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

But if he did he'd laugh his ass off.

Ardy, moralrelativity and Relyt33 like this.
  21. LanguagAe

LanguagAe Getting sticky.

I think I need to read the story from the beginning, I’m missing a lot of Paul and graven stuff I used to know. Great story!

moralrelativity and Relyt33 like this.
  22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That is already confirmed by Mr Zoat here.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah I knew that already, that's why I mentioned it.

moralrelativity likes this.
  24. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

And now the story moves to NSFW Creative Writing.

25. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I am still confused about the reasoning for Sheeda willingly staying in this era. A sociopathic society of sadists or not why the fuck would they want to stay in an era where the environment quite literally drains and corrodes any shinies they loot from the past? They are perpetually on the brink of collapse... Why?! Why not relocate to distant past and rule over the rabble there? They could even keep up with the Drow cosplay if they really like it so much. Why not go elsewhen and keep playing viking without the threat of collapse constantly hanging over their heads? Is there some 1984esque conspiracy going on?

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Supervillains aren't renowned for making good decisions, even when doing so is incredibly simple.

Maybe the leadership is worried that they'll lose control if they move.

27. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

You cannot have a society of supervillains let alone a race of supervillains. Stupid Chaotic Evil races only exist in tabletop games, any realistic representation would never get to be anything remotely resembling a society for any amount of time.

Supervillain leadership I could see but again not actually functioning for any notable amount of time (we saw how "well" such a thing works in Earth -14)

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat already showed us the Citadelians and Psions, both evil races down to the last member.

If Hinon was involved in making them then they could potentially be billions of years old.

And the Apokaliptians, which are ruled by some of the most evil beings in the universe and the average person may not be exactly all that good on that planet.

And they've probably done that for billions of years, which is a long time.

There are also the demons in Hell, which are made of evil, even though they're on some kind of rehabilitation thing right now they did have a society before that, and one that has lasted for at least thousands of years if not longer.

Societies made up of evil people do exist in this story.

Yeah they can be taken down and it's difficult for them to put themselves back together after that, plus there is a lot of infighting in them, but they do exist.

The leadership on Earth -14 was mostly taken down by an outside force rather than one from within, aside from that time Talon tried to destroy it.

29. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

didn't Grayven kill the Sportsmaster construct with the sword of the fallen?

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep he did.

I think he also killed the Bane construct.

This was maybe some time after they built the cage for his Anti Life fragment, but I'm not completely sure.