1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Cue Zoat recreating the Elements of Harmony. Then he hits the sun.

AngelicKnight. and Darko like this.
  3. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Place your bets people! Did the preparations of this comic take place before Grayven and Artemis’ adventure or will Grayven create a similar stash when he returns?
    If a stash already exists then I wonder if Lynne deposited wishful (heartbreaking) letters in the stash since Grayven’s disappearance.

4. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Ow, why would you say that? Now I'm sad.

I reckon 3:1 odds it's a sad letter about missing him and 1:3 odds it's angry at him for leaving her behind.

Prince Charon likes this.
  5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Why exactly would spaceships made out of shapeshifting crystals be flying bricks?

They grow and shrink as needed.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They might be limited in how much they can do that.

Prince Charon likes this.
  7. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Because Kryptonians like their ships looking like that. Nothing quite shows the primitives how 'advanced' you are like making your warship out of something that has no business being used as armour - like a glasslike space crystals /s

Lex (depending on the incarnation) has a 'we can do this with a good, old fashined Human IngenuityTM/Earth shizotech' thing going on (except for all the times he completely forgets about it). So he might've decided to go completely homegrown on this project. Or Grayven convinced him to for some reason.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paragon wasn't all that willing to share every single bit of alien tech his ring had in its database because he thought the people of Earth would become dependent on him for every single advancement instead of relying on themselves to develop their tech when they could have done so, like depending on him to make them spaceships, powerful energy devices and teleporters when they already had those in Ted Knights inventions and the Zeta Beam that was developed in the fifties.

Maybe renegade also feels somewhat the same in this regard, or maybe Lex also feels that way, at least in some ways.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I seriously doubt any incarnation of Lex would see people being dependent on him/his company for the goodies as a bad thing. Grayven might but even he is very cavalier about using alien tech for his purposes.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Sorry I was thinking more along the lines of them not getting too dependent on alien technology and wanting humans to advance using human tech rather than alien.

Agent Orange likes this.
  11. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

Why'd you got to end it on the depressing letter stash note? Now I can just see Lynne or Luna doing this.

12. Mr Zoat

If Grayven's estimate of 5 billion years is accurate, it's unlikely any such letter would have survived.
    No. Not shapeshifting crystals. Growing, programmable crystals. They can't just magic mass out of nowhere and send it back their when convenient.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ehh, given the fact that they have access to advanced tech and powerful magic it just may survive even that long.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  14. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I think Paragon made a joke about one of his subspace pockets with his breakfast cereal of choice being one of the last things remaining on earth. He'd created it in the kitchen at the Mountain after Wally had a bit of a snacking fit. Soooo, maybe they'll be some granola left for the sheeda to be very confused over.

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Kryptonian Sunstone isn't glasslike.

And it's a lot more impressive then Zoat makes it out to be.

IsActuallyBatman and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Doomsday was durable enough that it took Superman to damage it, and even then it could heal instantly using the shapeshifting, and defensive wise it can also use the shapeshifting to build additional defenses like say growing extra armor when needed.

It's not quite up there as a technological cheat as the emotional electromagnetic spectrum, but I'd rate it higher than Nth metal.

At least until DC added a gazillion new powers to Nth metal, like shapeshifting and reality warping.

Wetbananas, Vaermina and Cuchulin like this.
  17. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

She's a god she can use god magic to make the letter last long enough, or steal paper from the book of destiny (or maybe be actually waiting there herself, I'm sure she can find some form of eternal youth) can't she?

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She is a New God so she may be able to live that long.

DAT_NOOB and Cuchulin like this.
  19. gattsuru

gattsuru Making the rounds.

Five billions years is long enough for a tectonic plate to have scooted back into the mantle two or three times. It’s a really long time

20. Threadmarks: Summer's End (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

The Shoe
    Dropping

I charge, daiklave swinging out in a wide arc and slicing through the front ranks. I Stand!

I'd estimate these children died when they were between eight and twelve. Their hair is either grey or entirely absent, and they're wearing coloured smocks and… Nothing else. Their skin is a very pale grey-turquoise, their sclera black and their pupils a glowing red. None of them have adult height-

A wide and exaggerated swing scythes through the mob as they try to surround me.

-and there doesn't appear to be any particular directing mind; they're just charging a source of heat or movement. Or life. In theory numerous small and weak attackers could overwhelm a larger and stronger opponent, but as I keep-

Smaller swings as I press into the throng, always moving into the space I create.

-pressing forward, I don't think I have to worry about that. They're tougher than humans of their size and shape, but not by enough to slow the movement of my sword through their bodies.

I've passed some, and a good proportion of them turn to follow me. A chunk of the mob to my right suddenly find themselves with arrows in their heads as Artemis demonstrates that whatever limitations the coral arrows have they do well enough against these things.

The mob's thinning out but I can see more of these things heading our way through the gloom. But a more dispersed formation means that scything strikes aren't what I need. I circle around, charging back into the thickest part of the mob and running back over the bisected bodies with my daiklave stretched out to the side, the upper torsos of those I've sliced in twain grasp at my heels and I stamp them into the ground.

One jumps from a nearby outcrop -or falls from it- and I switch to a one-handed grip in order to catch them in my left hand to get a closer look without stopping. Their -its? Her?- hands claw at my gauntlet and when that doesn't work they try using their teeth as well. No effect, but with a energy nullification effect in effect I'm not going to chance it.

"What-?!

Ahead of me Artemis strikes a couple of the zombie children in-. Through the heads with the arms of her bow-

"Are they?!"

-and then fires another coral arrow. This one arrow volley doesn't target the mob but rather the stragglers, each one collapsing and creating a clear break between the mob and the stragglers.

"Working on that!"

I toss my captive lightly into the air, draw the Sword of the Fallen and stab her with it on the way down before resheathing and catching her again.

Interesting. There's no obvious change, which suggests that there's no ongoing spell keeping them animated. Headshots appear to be working, which isn't always the case with magically animated corpses. Certainly it's easiest to bind the control spell to a brain, and Vodun-style living zombies obviously die if you shoot them in the brain, but pure death magic generally creates things that need to be smashed to pieces to end the spell.

"Is there a spell you can shoot out of them?"

Artemis hesitates as I come to a halt just in front of her, bracing myself to charge back in. Then she shakes her head before drawing and loosing again, the seven closest zombie children slumping to the ground as shafts appear in their crania.

"Not that's coming from outside of them."

I take another look at my abductee. Like those I cut in half the wound isn't bleeding, but she's still animate. I suppose that I could try lightly poking her in a non-critical part of her brain but she's pinging on my God-sense as a tool rather than a citizen, so I don't think there's anything here to preserve.

"Mother Box?"

"Pung?"

"Sorry, Artemis, without my rings I'm-"

I step forward, swinging my daiklave at neck height and decapitating two of them.

"-a bit weak on analytics. Any ideas?"

"They're not hard to kill, but there's a whole lot of them. So… Can we get away?"

"I can pick you up and run. I'm pretty fast. But I don't know that we won't end up somewhere worse. I don't know how or why they're coming after us, so while we could just build a shelter I don't know that doing so would make them leave. I don't…"

They appear to have stopped attacking. They're still there, but they aren't heading our way. Experimentally, I toss the one I stabbed back towards the rest. She hits a couple of the others and they tumble to the ground, then rise and…

Huh.

I take a few steps closer to get a better look through the gloom.

"Srkh."

"Khrrp."

They're… Eating the fallen. That's… Interesting. Groups of the zombie children still standing-. Still functioning are kneeling around the severed lower parts of the ones I sliced in two and are biting them. Or to be more precise, grabbing on with both hands and nibbling, small pieces coming free in their mouths which they then.. swallow. They don't fight one another while they do it, don't try and force one another off or attack anything animate. Once the part they're gnawing on is eaten to the full extent of their ability to consume then their grip shifts and they go back to it.

"They're feeding on their fallen."

The heads I cut off are opening and closing their mouths, no vocal cords left for enunciation. The upper torsos are a little sluggish, but they're trying to get to the severed parts in order to feed as well. The ones which have managed it are… Eating, and… Slowly regrowing.

"That's… Disgusting."

Actually, I find it fascinating. Cannibal zombies. That eliminates a slew of possibilities; one way of creating zombies involves evoking death's malevolence and zombies created that way only attack the living. This suggests.. some sort of biological machine?

"It's efficient. There will always be some loss, but without blood pumping and spilling it will be minimised."

No extraneous movement. No looking around. That's not something animals do. Predator or scavenger, they'd be checking their environment and competing for the best-

There are a series of quiet crunches as some of them get a good angle on some bones and ingest them the same way as they did the flesh.

-parts. Even the damaged ones aren't distressed, they're just eating.

"We should get outta here while they're busy."

Artemis takes a step away, then hesitates when I don't immediately follow.

"You said yourself that you can't analyse them. They can't tell us anything."

I nod and follow after her, repeatedly turning my head back towards them as we leave. Until the murk fully obscures them and I can't see them any longer.

"That was interesting."

"That was creepy. Be nice if everything else here is that weak. But what's the chance of that."

"Low." I shrug as we pick up the pace. "But you never know."

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'The ones which'

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

23. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thus continue the Adventures of Big Grey Meanie and Arrow Lass in: Overleveled Past the Deathworld.

24. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Oh my. This isn't life OR death. It goes from being BOTH, undead using normal biological muscle and tissue life processes which need fuel, to being NEITHER, the bodies simply becoming inert inanimate material without stimulus to chase. The ones that fed won't have a heartbeat until they're done digesting their meals, and then their hearts will beat exactly enough to distribute the nutrients, and then stop again. There's no life to maintain. They could have literally been standing there, without decay, for a billion years, until something showed up to eat, and only for those few seconds are they living zombies. And now they're inert again, ready to wait another billion.

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Cutting them down like wheat, literally. The joy of fighting zombies, at least. No need for concern about wounding future captives.

So likely.. manufactured.. for purpose. If they were wild, they'd simply be nude. Presumably dispensed from some local fort to harry intruders, since anyone authorised would be able to manage them. But definitely signs of Columbian origin.

And absolutely no thought of self-preservation. Nothing more than attack dogs. Except even dogs would flee before such carnage...

They can barely even damage him, and then only if they hit a gap in his armour, or his head. At a guess, they're probably being monitored from a distance, by some overflying drone Grayven and Artemis can't see. They're nought but strength testers...

Man, getting images of a Musou game here, with bodies (or body parts, in this case) sent flying with every swing of a max-rank weapon being wielded by a max level character. On Beginner difficulty.

The joy of lacking any better sensor gear than the old Mk1 Eyeball. Or in this case, the Mk2?

Either she's a lot stronger than she appears (quite likely, given the probable draw of her bow) or they are made of plasticine!

Cleared some space nicely. Joy of being a ranged build in a melee scrum.

No soul, Grayven, I doubt that'll do much. Besides knock off a limb or something.

Good thing, otherwise all those severed limbs would be dragging themselves after you. That's always double-plus creepy.

If only it were that easy...

Whatever's keeping them moving, it's apparently pretty simple. I suppose it would have to be to be used so casually...

Translation: "Please stop the angry midgets from hammering on my casing. It huuuurts..."

Ah, if only talking were a free action.

That depends. How fast can you run? :D

Huh. That was spontaneous. I guess they have a fairly simple attack routine: Charge, or recover if you can't reach the target.

Not too close, don't want to set them off.

... :confused: Such marvellous sound effects...

That's quite possibly the grossest self-repair method I've ever seen. And that includes Nurgle and Tyranid armies.

Oh, come on, they regenerate that well? Talk about stupidly resilient, for all their fragility. Though, to be honest, that fragility is because they're facing super-strong New Gods.

Hence why I said 'Manufactured' earlier. It's still horrifying and sick. Which means it's perfect for the Sheeda.

Evidently, they have no natural predators. Anything around here is a Sheeda creature, or an intruder. And we've seen how they react to intruders.

No sense of pain at all. No wonder they didn't retreat before they couldn't pursue. Presumably, whoever controls them has other options on the way...

No point standing around wondering, like this is some immersive nature documentary. Their owner is probably mobilising as you speak.

Only you could make that sort of understatement sound profound... The only interesting thing about it was their behaviour.

True, for all you know, this is an area for toons straight out of character creation, and it doesn't scale. Sure, you could farm for kill achievements, but I'd rather be getting ones for exploration.

Not the most difficult fight he's ever had. No doubt the next encounter will be something stronger. If they're lucky, it'll include something they can ride on to get moving faster. Sooner or later, someone important's going to notice them, after all...

Godspeech:

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or it may just be her god archery that enhances her shots even if she isn't that strong.

She may have some enhanced strength though.

27. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

They seem more like a biological weapon system than either zombies or people.

One that self maintains by cannabalising broken parts.

Ardy, JoTa34, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Prediction time.

They were dumped near Melmoth's hiding hole, and will somehow defeat him, and then use his time machine to return to the past.

Cuchulin and Aabcehmu like this.
  29. Nero200

Nero200 Magus (derogatory)

my head

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.