1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Well i don't think this is is over.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I could, but I don't know anything at all about him. He might well be in the metaphorical background in some of the Atlantean scenes, or he might not.

Hah! Just checked the wiki, and he was one of the Purists who backed Ocean Master. So he's probably been rounded up and executed in the Si timeline. He might still be around in the Renegade timeline.

3. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

My emphasis is on the intimate part of pony relationships. And why would Sinestro knows how to properly french kiss an equine?

Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe he was friends with the horse guy above and saw him do it.

Or he dated a member of the species.

TopHatWearer, Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  5. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

"And also there will be magic. That reminds me of a familiar phrase. Can't quite put my hoof on it. Some kind of equivalence between the two."

6. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

There is a part of me that absolutely cannot believe that we are still on ponies.

...Hol' up here.

*googles*

Am I to understand that Kaldur is dating a man? Is this what you are telling me?

And Kon is going marry M'gann? After she mind raped him more than once?!

It....it's like they give me something, but then go out of there way to see how much they can piss me off.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  7. Mr Zoat

It's like you're trying to tell me something.
    Yes.
    Oh, not just that. She spent series 3 faking supervillain attacks so that the new junior team would have something to do that made them look good on social media.

No, really. Kon was angry about her hiding it from him, but said nothing about all of the crimes she, Batman, Kaldur, and everyone else in the loop committed.

8. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

... Having stopped watching Young Justice in season 1, I am honestly dumbfounded at what I'm hearing about it.

9. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

So is this a case where by the time season 3 was greenlit most of the original writing team has moved on, and they hired whatever idiot was available? Is there a new showrunner who graduated 'dumb corporate ideas' college?

Doccer, Fellow, Xmaster3000 and 2 others like this.
  10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Before our time actually.

Wyynde is based loosely on one of Arion's old pals, an Atlantean tribal warrior.

Pre-deluge Atlantis included an Amerindian style civilization, 35 thousand years before North America found itself inhabited. So you know, comic book writers, paid in booze and drugs...

Having Kaldur find out his boyfriend is a very much older man is kind of soap opera, so maybe it's a family name or he's the reincarnation of one of Arion's old buddies, if one wanted.

TopHatWearer, Doccer, Fellow and 3 others like this.
  11. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't know about the writing team, but part of the issue is definitely them trying to be far too topical by playing up the social media angle and public approval, including the travesty of what they did to Luthor (all of which veers too close to this forum's taboo policy).

It was just impossible to care about half the things the protagonists did because it didn't seem to matter; they were just being manipulated, either by each other or the Light. The latter case has always been present in Young Justice but at this stage it's just gone on for too long without any meaningful change; the only reason half the Justice League's loved ones aren't dead is because of Light intervention.

TopHatWearer, Doccer and Fellow like this.
  12. Maxx Crowley

Well, I'm no professional. So I can't say with 100% certainty. But I have looked deep into the dark void, and in that gnashing wall of horrid teeth and soul splitting wails, I have discovered that you do, in fact, seem to like "Teh Pony"

Huh...did not see that coming.

Why is it that nearly everything about M'gann is just infuriating? Not only because she does abusive and vile shit, but because everyone is just...okay with that.

I mean, I vaguely recall, that after she tried to mind rape Kon again and he caught her, thus leading to their break up, that the female members of their team went out of their way to comfort her for Kon being a big ol' stupid meany-head.

13. Flightless Man

Main verse comic Kaldur is gay. They didn't have a lot to work with so the writer of the adaption went with this. by season 3 was added to original young justice show version as well, Kaldur is Bi. Considering how few legit Bi characters their is, i never saw it as an issue. but i agree with earlier commenters, he was added to YJ poorly and seemed like it was only done as an inclusivity thing for show. If it was done better cool no issue but was very badly done so was hated by many.

Also on M'gann. You acknowledge she was mind rapping Kon, so who says she hasn't done same to everyone on Team whenever anyone disagrees.

14. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

At this point maybe Kon is already brainwashed and he doesn't know about it? I would say nobody knows about it, but let's be real, if other people knew, they wouldn't care! *Looking at you, still puppeteering a body, "lord of order" Nabu*

And regarding M'gann, maybe she does have more in common with her counterpart of Earth -14. And because the one in canon never encountered the evil one she didn't reflect on her actions and personal identity.

That or "less than good" writing. Yeah, probably that.

TopHatWearer and DrThoth like this.
  15. Maxx Crowley

Oh, I'm just shocked that an american animated work, not on HBO, has the balls to have homosexual male content.

The fact that I didn't hear anything about it till this moment tells me how poorly it was handled.

Oh, my on personal thoughts on M'gann are that she is/was, knowingly or unknowingly, fucking with everyone's head to get the "hello, Megan!" life she wanted.

I mean, didn't she actually push for Kon to be named Connor because that was TV show Megan's boyfriend?

Polarion, IsActuallyBatman and Doccer like this.
  16. Flightless Man

Ah i see what you mean. It wasn't until online season they did it so your kind of right.

Yeah M'gann in show makes me feel like she will be big bad in final season.

Doccer likes this.
  17. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

That's what makes it interesting. Can you imagine him full on kissing with an equine? I have a hard time imagining him in any serious relationship let alone a species that different from him. Or a very drunk equine friend who'd insist on telling him all the sordid details of how to please a equine female.

Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Indeed, that's a horse of a different color.

19. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Who are we to say Neigh if these two are Hot to Trot?

20. Threadmarks: Cold Iron (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

26th June 2012
    16:33 GMT -5

Another tome out of its scan-resistant case, orange light flaring as I turn the alien writings into English and deposit them first into my rings and then into my brain…

"Have you given any thought to just scanning these onto a database?"

"Lord Malvolio has stated on several occasions that knowledge is not for the lazy. Anyone can come here and read our record of precedents whenever they want. If they're not prepared to make the effort then they can live in ignorance."

"The.. people of your civilisation can't read your canon of law?"

"No, the canon of law is available on the data networks. These are just the rulings made by Lord Malvolio, that form the basis of our canon of law."

"Okay, but how about printing a summary and keeping it here? I can sort of understand expecting people to get off their arses if they want to understand their own civilisation, but this is deliberately keeping it opaque."

She nods proudly. "As it should be."

"That-."

My ring flashes.

"Yes?"

Jordan's head appears. "I've got the refugees settled and I'm heading for the capital now. What does the building look like?"

"You'll know it when you see it."

He frowns. "That's not exactly-. … Oh. Right."

"I'll see you in a moment."

"How..? Many of you are there?"

"Four of us came in the initial wave. The aim was to bring more, but our portal was disrupted. It might get restored, it might not."

Having had time to reflect upon the time line, I've been… Forced to consider that the disruption might have occurred when I attacked the area around the time pool. If the magicians were attaching their spell to it as an arcane constant, what I did might have wrecked the whole array and forced them to start from scratch. Then again, doing that removed the Sheeda's escape options at the earliest opportunity… I'm leaning towards it having been the right decision, but… I can't be certain.

"Hey! Anyone home?"

"In here!"

"Was that Green Lantern sign over-" Jordan flies in, prompting the curator to look around. "-the door meant to start-"

"My Lord!"

The curator falls on her face, genuflecting in Jordan's direction.

"-glowing." He frowns. "What's her deal?"

"The local Green Lantern is kind of important."

"Yeah. I remember what it's like when a Green Lantern takes over." He drops to the floor and reaches out to the curator. "You don't have to do that with me."

"I know. I'm choosing to. It is your due."

I take a look at her…

"As far as I can tell, she honestly believes it."

"That's not the point."

"Given how popular Lanternism is, I'm a little surprised that you're not more used to it."

He drops his hand with a sigh, then stands back up.

"The only Lanternists in Two Eight One Four are the 'sacred duty' types. They don't go in for this kind of thing." He moves away for the curator, looking around the room. "Learn anything useful?"

"Lord Malvolio appears to be the 'don't make me come over there' type of jurist. His retribution for attacks against his people or slights upon his honour or… What he regards as 'treason' is draconian. However, he isn't arbitrary and generally treats emissaries and leaders from outside what he regards as his area of responsibility with a degree of… Not exactly 'deference', but he at least recognises that there's a difference between his own subjects and people who aren't."

"So why's he talking to the Sheeda?"

"Have you seen the stars since we got here?"

"No. You know why?"

"These books make it clear that Lord Malvolio used to control a much greater area than this. If he made a deal with the Guardians and feels that they reneged on it, he might decide that anything that lets him leave is a 'reasonable' deal."

"So if we agree to help him get out of wherever this is, that reason's gone."

"I'm just guessing here. Even if I could see him, given how 'green' he is, it's perfectly possible that I won't learn anything." I shrug. "There's nothing obvious for them to offer him, but that doesn't mean that they can't have found something that hasn't occurred to me." He nods. "If the Guardians did trap him here, are you allowed to let him out?"

"Can I? Sure. Will I? Depends what sort of man he is. As of right now, we've won. If the four of us getting killed by an insane super-Lantern the Guardians were right to lock away, if that's what it takes to make it stick, then so be it. On the other hand, if we can talk it out, so much the better."

I close the book and respectfully return it to its protective case.

"Are Flash and Wonder Woman coming with us?"

"Yeah. Diana's got a bit more experience with diplomacy than I have, and Flash can react faster than us if the Sheeda try anything."

"Then we may as well go and pick them up."

"First things first." He holds out his right hand. "Honor Guard Green Lantern Harold Jordan to Lord Malvolio of the Green Flame. Please respond."

I take a step back, while the curator double-grovels.

For a moment, nothing happens. Then a plume of green… Flame? Not exactly, but it's sort of a fatter version of the green flame-like environmental shield that Alan used to have. The pseudo-flame leaps from Jordan's ring and erupts in the shape of a man.

"You arrive as brilliant light, rending darkness's opaque veil. As a whisper, silence shattering. Among stars and far flung heavens have cosmic winds aloft borne me as I, answering adventure's siren call, sought her face in the galaxy's far corners. Among peoples and cultures infinitely diverse have these well worn heels tread narrow paths leading to warm, righteous hearths. Against evil kingdoms and dreadful empires a vengeful hand have I raised. Against me could no man stand nor any man deny my will. Through time and seasons and ages undreamed of, my will, my token and troth remain. The vindicator, avenger, defender, law and judge am I. Saviour and destroyer, life and death… I am Lord Malvolio of the Green Flame."

"UhHi. Mind if we come talk face to face?"

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

At least we know Malvolio likes to ham it up the first chance he gets. Also, is the last part of that whole paragraph his oath?

22. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

Things are about to get purple prose

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'the basis'

maybe 'records'

'not'

missing a "

'sort of'

Your skills with flowery language are impressive.

24. Fellow

Fellow Know what you're doing yet?

I believe that's a direct quote

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think that's correct.
    Hah. No, that's literally what he says the first time he appears.

26. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Does say all that every time he meets someone or is this a special occasion?

27. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

A lot of what Jordan is saying this chapter is green, and while it's established that whenever a lantern uses the ring comms to another ring they get color coded, here
    Jordan actually enters the same room as Paul so he's no longer on the radio. Rather than having green text, he should have regular since he's not on comms until he starts calling Lord M.

Sojiko, Ardy and Mastigos2 like this.
  28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, someone doesn't want casual perusal of the books, do they? Presumably meant to reinforce the importance of their contents, I suppose.

Yup, as I though. Looks like Malvolio has opinions on studiousness. Hope OL isn't offending him by taking the easy way through.

Ah... So they're treated a bit more like scripture, in terms of reverence. Explains the protection.

And no doubt the texts are couched in the equivalent of old English, just for that added aspect of effort.

Hal calling to check in? Hopefully the captives are settling in to their temporary digs well enough.

Ah, to see the look on his face... Oh, wait! :D Ring-call.

Heh. Yeah, this isn't setting off alarm bells for Hal at all. He's probably remembering Korugar right now...

Of course, when two of those operatives are Lanterns, that's one hell of a force multiplier.

Gee, the benefit of hindsight. I mean, going in guns blazing paid off, given the Sheeda waiting for you, but a micro-second of consideration might have helped...

Yes, Hal, it almost certainly was. Likely as an alert to Malvolio that someone of note is poking around...

Oh, boy. Looks like Mallie's made himself quite the following.

Ah, OLO. Your mastery of understatement is as impressive as always.

Hrrm... That is telling. I wonder if other people share that worshipful attitude, or if it's just from being around the books so much...

Hal not comfortable with being outright worshipped. That's a good sign. Wonder what Malvolio's making of it...

Honestly, worshipping Lanterns is understandable. They come down out of the sky, glowing brightly, smiting evil and saving lives, and fly off again. I can see them being called angels by some primitive peoples...

So, not going to insist on diplomatic visitors following his laws absolutely, with ignorance being no excuse for misbehaving. Reasonable. That's a good sign?

When he's on a mission, I don't think Hal pays attention to much outside of his objective... A good Green Lantern, in that respect...

And pity the Sheeda if they welch on any deal. I doubt Malvolio will treat them kindly in that case.

Hmm... That's a good question. After all, what part did the locals play in his misdeeds? Why should they be punished for Malvolio's actions? On the other hand, the Guardians might respond poorly to Hal's actions if he does open the lockdown.

Good to see such rational planning from a Green Lantern, masters of stubborn bullheadedness.

And I doubt Malvolio's encountered someone with superspeed before, so it's unlikely he could take action either. He'll also be more responsive to royalty coming to meet him than just a couple of Lanterns...

Taking a long shot, depending on the functionality of Malvolio's ring. For all they know, it's like Alan's ring, with a scrubbed OS and lack of communication functions...

I'll say this, he has style.

Well, what can you say to that? Besides "Spit out that scenery, it's made of cardboard!"

:p A poet, Hal is not...

Well, contact has been properly made. The offer to talk is in the air, and no doubt Queen Glory-bra is already trying to poison Malvolio against them... Time for Diana to do some fast talking...

I close the book and respectfully return it to its protective case.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

His speech can still be green when he's using his ring or in a state of great will, even if he's not communicating with the ring.

30. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Nah, Malvolio declined the ring-call. That's just his voicemail message. The next line after Hal's "Uh, hi..." was "please record your message after the tone."