1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

So the Sheeda are House Elf Death Eaters to Malvolio's Voldemort... Makes sense!

2. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

If she'd limited

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

4. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

But they haven't actually got Gloriana yet have they?

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  5. Mr Zoat

'What she do? She is but one woman!'

6. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Unfortunately he is not renegade and even Renegade wouldn't do it nowadays since he is kind of dating Luna.

moralrelativity likes this.
  7. DougA

DougA Getting out there.

This is Hal, shouldn't the text be green?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    moralrelativity likes this.
  8. Mr Zoat

No, he's speaking via ring-com.

9. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Keep a look out OL!

See that's why the battle isn't over till you get the monarch and the crowned defendant.

10. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

Not nearly as sexy when Doctor Who does this same thing, with two salt shakers probing your mind through your ears.

Or maybe it is: I don't know your fetishes.

11. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I'm like Sexy, I enjoy competitive kissing.

12. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Kinky...

Getting Kinkier....

Good ol' Janeway PIE....

When I was a kid, it blew my mind that Luke Skywalker was behind that.

I find Joker to be terribly overfluffed, but Hamill's the man.

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There are a lot of things she should be able to do.

But given that most of those would insta kill Paul, I am guessing she won't.

14. Threadmarks: Cold Iron (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

26th June 2012
    16:20 GMT -5

"But I'm in a relationship, so I don't think that's something I can really help you with?"

"No! No! I didn't mean 'abduct' like that. I meant-."

"It doesn't.. matter. Look, I need to find out how this planet's government works, because I need to talk to someone important."

"So why are you talking to me?"

"Because this world doesn't look like it gets a lot of traffic, so I don't know how your government would respond to an alien just turning up."

"Well, yes, we don't have much contact here, but… What do you look like? Unless you're a robot."

I subspace my helmet, the native pulling her head back for a second before staring at my face in rapt fascination. Then she blinks, clearly recognising my face. That's not particularly surprising; humans fit the standard humanoid morphological layout pretty well. Her species are larger and don't have noses or hair, but it can be a little disappointing to find out that aliens don't look that strange.

"Oh. You're the same species as Lord Malvolio."

Well that settles that question.

"Yes. Could you please explain his relationship with this planet's government?"

"W-why?"

"Because I get the impression that he's rather important and I'd rather not offend him when I meet with him."

"Yesthatwouldbebad. Um. Are you an ally of his?"

"Never met the man before." I send a message to Jordan that I've confirmed Malvolio's presence. "But some people who are definitely my enemies are in this system, and the situation requires careful diplomacy."

"That's definitely something Lord Malvolio would control. Um."

"Is there someone I can talk to about what his current rulings on the subject are? Something that will give me a clue about what sorts of things he will approve and what he won't?"

"There's a record of his rulings in the Library of Law in the capital. I don't… Keep any sort of record here. One of our guests might have a record of some of their favourite rulings, you'd have to ask them."

"And how would I locate the Library of Law?"

"It's the only building marked with Lord Malvolio's sigil."

"That would be a circle with a tangential line top and bottom?"

"Yes."

Huh. I assumed that he wasn’t a member of the Corps, and with the Guardians acting against him that he wouldn't want the ring's sigil -the emblem of the Green Lantern Corps- to be widely displayed. But I suppose it makes sense that he'd claim it as his own.

"Thank you. You’ve been quite helpful. I'll have a read and then go and see him."

I put my helmet back on, and-.

"Do you think..?"

"Yes."

"No, I mean… You're not abducting anyone, but do you know anyone who is?"

"Yes, the Sheeda. If they abducted you, they'd put you in a digestion chamber to reclaim your organic matter which they then use to create organic technology and food, which is what's happened to millions of people on my home planet."

"Oh. No, I didn't mean abducted like that-."

"I suspected. Excuse me."

Fly out of sight, switch to heavy armour and phase through the outer wall just before the tour operator follows me. Scan the largest city, look for the green sigil… Got it. Given the response I got there and the fact that it's pretty unlikely that we won't have to talk to Malvolio, I phase back in and transition there before phasing out again. Not a huge number of people on the streets around here, and… They appear to be giving the building a certain amount of distance.

Marvellous. I'm really hoping that I'm not going to have to deal with an insane or pathologically unreasonable supervillain here, but my hopes are fading fast.

I head for the closest wall-.

I bounce off a faint green barrier before I reach the wall. I'm still phased out… Not all that astonishing. A little inconvenient, perhaps, but this is part of the problem with interstellar tourism; with the best will in the world the visitors won't know what they're supposed to do. But I suppose it makes sense that a green light user would prefer people to take a direct approach.

I phase in, transition back to the front of the building and then drop to the ground. I get a few stares, but no one's running. I use my armour's flight system to rotate and wave my right arm.

"Just reading up on Lord Malvolio prior to meeting him. Nothing to be concerned about."

Then I drift through the front doors. No shield this time. The inside-.

"Greetings, Seeker of Knoooooo…"

A white-skinned local woman wearing a tabard displaying the green sigil looks me over warily.

"Greetings yourself. I want to prepare myself for a meeting with Lord Malvolio, and this seemed like the place to read up on him. Is that alright?"

She blinks.

"Yes! Come with me!"

She leads me down the corridor and into a climate controlled vault, scrolls and books branded with the green sigil stored in display cases, each labelled with a date and location.

"Here we store as many original copies of Lord Malvolio's decrees and rulings as he has made regarding this system, as well as the earliest copies we have been able to find of his more general diktats. Are you an ambassador for your own master?"

"Not exactly. My… Homeworld is hoping that he'll be willing to mediate on an ongoing military conflict we're engaged in. We're aware that the other party to the conflict is in communication with him, so it seems like a reasonable request."

"Lord Malvolio has certainly mediated a great many conflicts, and sometimes the belligerent parties even survived! Would you like me to show you those records first?"

"Yes please. And… Since I'm going to need to talk to him later today, if there's any insight you could give me into his character that isn't immediately obvious from your documentation, I'm sure it would be helpful in making my meeting with him more productive."

"I couldn't possibly presume to know Lord Malvolio's mind in that fashion."

No fear, I note, but certainly a surprising level of obsequiousness. Sort of like how Job wasn't afraid of God, and just accepted God killing his entire family as in some way just.

"He himself said that studying his rulings can only tell you how he ruled in a particular situation. It will never tell you the thoughts that led to that decision, and it is those thoughts that will direct his future decisions and not his past rulings."

"But you've studied them anyway, right?"

"I… Yes?"

"Then you've probably got a better grasp of his character than I'm likely to get in a few hours. And I'm sure that he'll appreciate it if my embassy is at least efficient."

"That's true. Okay then."

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'sorts of things' or 'sort of thing'

'he'd claim'

16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Very helpful people.

Given this is a comic book universe, it means something is fucky.

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Please, do be clear about it, then. Is it just a sexual thing for you? A desire to be.. restrained and .. probed intimately? Because 'Abduct' has several other meanings in this situation...

Because you were here? Honestly, is it so hard to imagine someone might not come down right on the capital city?

Ah, yes, OL has that most useful of devices, a fully sealed helmet...

Well, nice to have that confirmed, indeed. Both their general appearance (noseless human-like) and Malvolio's part-human nature. Because of course Human genes override most other appearance traits in most cases. Unless they'd make the person more visually interesting. Thank you, DC artists.

Boy, that hint of fear is telling, isn't it? I'm guessing Malvolio's attention isn't always welcome in some parts.

Sounds like Malvolio is a tyrant in multiple meanings of the word.

Assuming he's not already decided to throw in with the Sheeda. But reading his bio suggests that he would not likely be interested, unless they claimed to be able to free him...

Well, that's convenient. The central depository, not the likelihood of a guest having any useful info. New mission destination added!

...And that sigil would be...?

Cheeky dickwaffle. He stole the Green Light's sigil for his own heraldry? Man's got an ego.

And no probing of any kind required. I bet she'd disappointed.

Well, that's an open line just waiting for a joke...

Again, by abduction, do you mean the typical bondage fantasy I mentioned earlier, or...

Yeah, okay, she was just hot for ET. Or whatever extraplanetary lifeform they depict in pop culture... Hmm... :D Would they have 'Blues' instead of 'Greys'?

Now he's got a destination, I guess there's no point not using fast travel. Suppose he's not as worried about being detected now.

To be fair, the chance of Malvolio being at least a little cracked after this long is fairly high.With any luck, he can at least be reasoned with.

And suggests Malvolio would prefer the building to be unmolested by anyone. Bet there was a little rebelliousness in the early days.

They've definitely had off-world contact before, then. And expect friendly behaviour from visitors, evidently. Presumably enforced by act of God Great Torch.

That is the sound of someone who wasn't looking when she started talking...

Politeness, definitely the best approach. I don't doubt that Malvolio is fully aware of OL and Hal's presences, and is simply waiting to see what they plan to do...

Boy, she's nervous. Little worried about her Lordship's reaction, is she? Or just a little put off her game by the hulking, nearly headless figure of OL in his heavy armour?

...I was somehow expecting something a little more impressive. Banks of bookshelves, that sort of thing. No doubt there are backups prepared on hardcopy and digital? To avoid having to handle century-old manuscripts?

o_O ...'Sometimes... Even survived'? Oh, that does not bode well.

Definitely a religious aspect to their treatment of him, it seems.

So, he's not one for putting his thoughts down on paper, then.

Sometimes, you'd be amazed at what you can pick up between the lines, as it were...

Indeed. The joy of flying blind, without useful metaknowledge, eh?

Well, that was quick. Hopefully Malvolio takes that thoroughness into account when OL and Hal go to meet him. Which is almost guaranteed to be sooner rather than later. I can only hope it doesn't disappoint.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He has been taking cues from the Reasonable Marines.

Cult of personality for a tyrannical dictator.

At least not where most people can read them.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Remove one 'that'

20. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

a -> an

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Actually, the Green Lantern Corps wouldn't have a problem with that. It's considered perfectly normal for the family of a Green Lantern to display a flag with the sigil on it outside of their house, for example.

22. Agent Orange

You don't say.

You know, even if they are just dream characters I can't help but like what little we've seen of these people. Under most circumstances I would be annoyed at an effectively modern human society with a paper thin 'alien' disguise painted on top (i.e. most DC aliens) but in this particular case it's strangely endearing.

23. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

So is Malvolio doing the same kind of mind-fuckery with green that OL does with orange and nullifying the will of his followers so they kiss his ass?

Vorian, Caerwen, CTrees and 1 other person like this.
  24. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

what are the odds that malvolio is another zoat?

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Bit of lore about old Molvolio- He was almost a leader of a superhero team, consisting of Ray, Black Condor, Phantom Lady, Starman, Arion, and the Hawks.

I got the impression that version of the Freedom Fighters would have been in the vein of the Authority or Savage Avengers.

26. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Seems more like anti-green. At worst he’s outwillpowering them. Like, he has an aura of “you will do as I say. You will not question me”. Basically, you can’t help but find him a figure of authority. Not even “or else.” - that’s yellow - and also sorta implied with it. Hm, actually, fear would make him weaker. So this whole “he’s a god” image he’s cultivating would also involve some amount of mercy. He probably started out by helping these people conquer another group - so he has a “led the Israelites out of Egypt” backstory. Or a “saved them from the great flood he caused” backstory.

27. Agent Orange

Does he have to? Even if these people are real instead of just projections acting as he wants them to act, he's a several centuries old Lantern (equivalent). He's effectively a god in a place with no peers. They could simply be afraid wary of him for his immense power.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  28. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Weary or wary? Could be either in context. Probably wary.

29. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Geez OL....you could at least generate some orange tentacles to probe the poor alien a little for all the information you demanded.

I mean....manners much?

30. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

For some reason, i imagine these aliens believe in belly button probes instead of anal ones.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.