1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Along a Fading Path (Naruto/SI)[Quest Story]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Leekz01, May 13, 2020.

1. HearthBorn

HearthBorn Know what you're doing yet?

Huh, seems early for Sakura to be questioning herself. Maybe she's Mizuki's replacement target, instead of Narut/ko? A bit of deliberate sabotage to her training, and then a fetch quest for her before he deserts? I doubt she could get the forbidden scroll, but maybe something else of value.

2. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

"I mean, you aren't a ninja at all. You're an academy student."

nirmtheworm and Leekz01 like this.
  3. Threadmarks: Chapter 11- Age 11/Year 11 [Part Four]
    Leekz01

Leekz01 Well worn.

I gazed at the young girl before me. A sullen, hesitant aura surrounds her. I don't need to ask to see what she thinks the answer to her question it. Sakura's made up her mind, and now, all she wants is confirmation. I have no idea what happened, but I'm not about to break a young girl's heart. I won't be lying to her either, however.

"I think you have a lot to improve on," I start. Sakura flinches, eyes sinking even further into the floor. "You're not a good ninja trainee, but you are good enough to be one."

My words sour her mood, but nevertheless, she raises her head. Sakura looks at me with a hint of hope and a whole lot of doubts.

"I thi- I believe you can be a good ninja," I say after carefully considering my words. She blinks, confusion dancing on her face.

"But you said-"

I hold up a hand. She bites her lip and nods. A smile slithers onto my face and I gently pat her shoulder.

"You're patient, a good listener, and very observant," I start with something soft to lessen the blow that's coming. "However, you're perhaps one of the weakest people in our class, physically speaking."

Being a girl has nothing to do with it. Chakra is a perfect equalizer and the only thing that makes a difference is dedication and control.

"Sometimes you're too smart and ignore the obvious answer," her brow quirks. "But, through it all, you have excellent chakra control."

She practically passed all those exercises in just a few tries.

"But... isn't that because I have such small reserves?"

I give a half nod, but quickly follow up with a counter-argument.

"Your reserves will grow, but unless you keep at it, your control will not."

Sakura mulls over my words, tossing them around in her head.

"You have a lot of potential." I pause, giving her a second to digest my words. "Genjutsu and medical ninjutsu would be something you'd likely excel at."

She blinks, almost as if the idea never crossed her mind. Though, it's not that hard to imagine. Our classes only briefly touched the subject and we wouldn't be learning actual Genjutsu untill next year.

Sakura stays silent, eyes locked to the floor.

"Without the drive and desire to grow, you won't realize that potential." She nods, taking a tiny breath. "Chakra's what makes us strong, fast, and shoot fire from our mouths."

She looks up at me, brow furrowing.

"With your control, I wouldn't be surprised to see you punching as hard as Tsunade or something." Sakura lets out a gasp, absolute shock on her face. The surprise slowly begins to fade, however.

"I... Thank you for being so nice, Sasuke," she whispers. "But you don't need to lie like that."

Damn it...

"I doubt I'd ever do anything as amazing as what Lady Tsunade has."

"Why did you become a ninja?" I blurt out.

Her mouth opens, then closes quickly.

"I wanted to be special," she whispers. There's no mask, no reason to lie. "What about you, Sasuke?"

I take a breath and put on a confident expression.

"I wanted to make the world a better place," maybe that wasn't my original goal, but that's how it is. "I want to make sure my friends and I are strong enough to stand on our own two feet."

A small, frail smile wiggles its way onto her face.

"I... I think that's really nice," she whispers. "It's a lot better than my reason."

I shake my head and step forward.

"No, your reason's just as good as mine," she blinks. "Everyone wants to be special, Sakura."

"That-" I don't let her finish.

"Who doesn't want to walk on walls, shoot fireballs, and make clones of themselves?" Even if the world was peaceful, I'd still want superpower. Seriously, what sort of person wouldn't?

"If you think your reason's aren't good enough, then surely half the students in this school and actual ninja in the field deserve to be kicked out."

Once more, she stares at me in shock. This time, however, I spot a spark of joy in her eyes. A small smile graces her lip. Time to finish up.

"You'll be a great ninja, Sakura," I say and gently pat her shoulder. "Don't let anyone tell you otherwise- show them how wrong they are."

A grin splits her face.

"Yeah... I think you're right," She answer, this time with confidence. "Let's go, Sasuke."

It wasn't over, not by a long shot. She walked confidently, but the scars of lingering doubt were still on her form. Whatever happened, it hurt her deeply. Who knows how long it'll take untill she gets better. Nevertheless, I've managed to help her out a little bit.

I only hoped that it was enough.

----------------

I returned to Iruka with Sakura. Surprisingly, our group was the first. Considering the intense talk, I had expected us to be second or last. Either way, with Sakura's suggestion, I helped out Kiba and Iruka with the rest of their paperwork. Eventually, Naruko and Hinata returned.

Training would finally begin. First up was a spar.

"Remember, even a dull blade can cut through bone if sharpened," Iruka starts, finally finishing up his final piece of paperwork. The rest of my friends had finally arrived, and as a way to keep us all entertained, he began talking about random things. Mostly history if I'm honest.

Admittedly, some of it was interesting, but other parts not so much. After all, while learning about the warring clans involved a lot of myths and legends, more recent events were dark and without a bright side. To his credit, Iruka figured this out very quickly and shifted gears to more motivational lessons. Things like some of the missions he went on in his younger days and how his team handled it.

Those parts drew most of our attention because it was actual experience from someone who's shoes we'll be in just a year or two. Not much was expected of genin as they'd mostly just be doing simple missions and whatnot. The worst would be fighting normal people, in other words, bandits and the like. With chakra and training, even a child could kill a grown man.

That's what he was trying to say.

"Put a bit more confidence in yourselves, because not many made it this far." we've already learned quite a lot. "As proud ninja of Konoha, I know all of you will make me proud."

His words were less refined than Mizuki's, but there was real heart in them. In any case, as the last page fell and he hid away the stack of papers, it was finally time to move.

"We'll draw lots to make it fair," Iruka said, reaching into his desk and pulling out five lollipops. "Everyone take your pick."

I rolled my eyes and glanced at Naruko. There was one thing on her mind and it wasn't who she'd be fighting. As she licked her lip, I looked at the suckers. He'd often give them out to kids who did really well of followed instructions perfectly. Of course, they became less effective on older kids, but still. A good deed gives a good reward. Positive reinforcement is a scary thing indeed.

The first to draw was Naruko. She reached out and nabbed a green sucker. Kiba, not wanting to be last, plucked a blue sucker. Then there was Sakura, who pulled out a pink one. With just you and Hinata left, Iruka revealed the two crimson suckers in his hands.

"It looks like you two are up first." He said with a smile. "Now, everyone please give the suckers ba-"

He stopped, mouth still open. A sigh rolled off his lip as he shook his head.

"Naruko, why did you eat it?"

My friend gave a sheepish smile and tried to whistle with the lollipop hanging from her mouth.

"You dwint sway not too!" she wasn't fooling anyone. "Gwes its two wait nwow!"

A small, taunting grin slithered across Iruka's lip. He raised a brow.

"No, it's fine," he replied, hand outstretched. "You can still give it back."

Naruko's eyes went wide. She shrunk and took a step back.

"Bwut it hwas mwy spwit!"

Iruka chuckled.

"That's fine," he stepped closer, fingers curling toward him. "I know just the Jutsu to-"

Before he could finish, you heard a cracking sound. The plastic stick fell from Naruko's mouth as she smiled back.

"Woops!" she laughed. "Looks like I accidentally ate it!"

Accidentally? Sure.

Iruka shook his head as a sigh rolled off his tongue.

"I was trying to warn you that those were my special laxative lollipop," he definitely looked torn up about that.

"W-What?" Naruko whispered, face going pale.

"Ah well, let this be a lesson to you, I suppose." And with that, Iruka started walking toward the yard. "Come with me, everyone."

Kiba didn't hold anything back. He laughed straight into Naruko's face and called her greedy. Hinata, unsurprisingly, remained silent. Though, she did give Naruko a consoling rub on the shoulder. Sakura just looked at my friend in mild disappointment.

"W-Wait! Tell me you're joking!" Finally, my friend frantically chased after Iruka. "There's no way you'd have that, right?!"

Probably not. Still, this would be a lesson and one I hoped she learned.

It won't always be a game. Sometimes, even something like that could prove deadly.

---------------------

As the first two up, me and Hinata took opposite sides of the ring- simple lines drawn in the school's backyard.

"Let's have a friendly match, alright?" Iruka said as he looked at both of us. "Though, I don't think I have to tell that to either of you," he chuckled and gently patted my shoulder then did the same to Hinata.

I gave a nod and quickly performed the little finger tugging ritual with my sparring partner. I could never remember what the hell it was called, but its purpose was evident; to show good sportsmanship and to never forget that the two of us were allies.

As me and Hinata finished tugging each other's index and middle fingers, Iruka started the match. I leapt back while Hinata persued.

Hinata's Hit Roll (9d6): 24
    Your Dodge Roll (8d6 - No Sharingan): 25

Sasuke Dodges!

I manage to dodge her palm strike by the skin of my teeth. When she follows the standard thrust by spinning on her heal and lashing out with her elbow, my eyes go wide. Thankfully, I had just enough time to dodge and jump away.

I rubbed my nose, wiggling it as I stare at Hinata. Her elbow had brushed its tip. That was very close.

Out of everyone in your class, she's likely the best when it comes to a straight fight. I best plan my counterattacks carefully.

----------

Sweat rolls down my face as I stare down at my sparring partner. The sun is shining and for the first time today, I realize exactly how hot it is. Hinata must feel the same, as she looks at you with incredible intensity. A single mistake here could cost me the match, and though this is not a life-threatening bout, I can't help but feel nervous.

Fighting my peers isn't anything new. It's something everyone does in class, but this feels different somehow. I can feel the weight bearing down on my shoulders.

I don't want to lose.

What's so different, I wonder? Is it because there's no class to judge my every move? Is it because of the blazing determination on Hinata's face? I can tell she's giving it her all, at least without calling on her clan's signature ability.

Untill she brings those out, neither will I.

As time slowly trickles away, a thought strikes me. The reason I'm trying so hard is very simple to grasp. A smile tugs at my lip. She takes this as a sign and charges.

Hinata Has Higher Agi! She goes first.

Hinata
    Hinata's Hit Roll (9d6): 37
    Your Dodge Roll (8d6 - No Sharingan): 28

Sasuke Hit!
    +You take 5 DMG | No Injuries!

Sasuke
    Your Hit Roll (8d6 - No Sharingan): 37
    Hinata's Dodge Roll (9d6): 31

Hinata Hit for 10 DMG!
    +She takes 1 Injury!

Hinata crosses the distance in the blink of an eye. Her chakra enhanced leap would put Olympic long jumpers to shame, yet she obviously doesn't care. Rather than an open palm, a fist sails toward my face. I step back, just barely dodging the blow.

The attack is something you wouldn't think a Hyuuga would use. For a split second, I hesitate from the shocking move. Hinata takes full advantage and lashes out with a kick that flashes like lightning. Her toes graze my nose and the counter strike I send her way is dodged gracefully. She slips through my fist like water and returns the favour with a flurry of palm strikes.

I had thought the odd attacks to be strange movements meant to throw me off. When a familiar jab nearly smashes into my cheek, I realize what's going on. The next time she throws a punch, I counter with the exact same one.

Two can play at that game. Both of us learned from the same source.

There's no shock or surprise on her face, if anything, it seems she was expecting this- knew that you'd take the opportunity to make a cheeky point. That's when her forehead strikes my own. The blow is soft and meant more to distract than anything; distracts it does.

I leap back, expecting a kick or punch, but instead, I find her palm burying itself in your gut. The air bursts out from my lungs.

It hurts, but not all that much. I take it in stride and quickly rush back at my friend. She's fast, but her most glaring weakness is showing itself. I smile. Using my superior strength and the momentum from my charge, I smash through her defences and land a punishing blow to her sternum.

A spark of guilt rushes through me, but years of being desensitized and living in this new reality have taught me better. If I hold back too much, she'll return the favour by beating me. Admittedly, I don't like hitting girls, but Hinata does everything in her power to prove to me that the choice I made was correct.

She curls into my blow, wrapping her small legs around my arm and letting gravity do the rest. I wince as she twists and bends my arm into an extremely awkward angle. A second later, she tries to smash her heel into my face.

Hinata
    Hinata's Hit Roll (9d6): 26
    Your Dodge Roll (8d6 - No Sharingan): 32 Dodge!

Sasuke Dodges!

Sasuke
    Your Hit Roll (8d6 - No Sharingan): 29
    Hinata's Dodge Roll (9d6): 33 Dodge!

Hinata Dodges!

I tilt my head back at the last second, allowing her foot to only tickle my chin. With her counterattack having failed, I send my own kick her way. Slithering like an eel, Hinata worms herself off my arm and slides to my left.

Small, rapid breaths leave her lip, and I realize that the same is happening to me. Clearly, Hinata's been hiding some of her strength, as she's way faster and more slippery than I could have imagined!

I take a deep breath and lunge forward as she takes one of her own. A flurry of kicks and punches glide a hair's with from her face and side, but that's all they ultimately accomplish. Using her lithe and light body to its utmost, Hinata dances around each of my attacks. With every blow, I find myself growing more and more exhausted.

However, she's not exactly peachy either. My clan's style focuses on counterattacks, so the real "meat" and the weight of its attacks only show themselves after she makes a move. My probing attacks have been just that, probing. They take little energy to use, and I suspect her dodging is a whole lot less efficient.

Still... endurance has never been my strong suit. I've gotten better, but that's still one of my major weaknesses.

The two of us stand there, almost in a sort of "truce" to catch our breaths. She's faster, but I'm far more skilled. She can hit me more reliably, but her hits aren't as heavy, while mines hurt quite a bit more.

If she were using her clan's traditional techniques, that first hit would have ended me.

Truly, Hyuuga are bullshit. They can essentially beat almost everyone in a single hit.

I take another breath and consider my options.

hmm...

End the fight here and now? No, I can't do that. The blazing hint of excitement and determination within my friend's gaze is far too powerful to turn back now.

She doesn't want to stop and neither do I. Nevertheless, this fight isn't as onesided as others might think. She's as slippery as an eel, and while I might outlast her, she can easilly dodge all my blows and end the fight prematurely.

A thought comes to mind. As all ninja should, I need to use every advantage available to win. It's fun and games now, but in the future, the difference between life and death is as thin as a needle's tip.

"Strong as always Hinata-chan," I start, a small smile gliding onto my lip. My friend furrows her brow, but takes the compliment gracefully. "It's always fun challenging you."

That's no lie. She's always been the hardest to fight. Now that she's shown her true colours, well, there's no contest.

"T-Thanks," Hinata answers. "I learn a lot when f-fighting you too."

Indeed. There might not be time for idle banter in the future, but this young girl is my friend. A smirk slowly crawls onto my face. Earth grinds under my heel as I subtle step forward. Byakugan or not, she notices.

"How about one more round!?" I charge, fist tucked at my side and voice roaring.

Hinata
    Hinata's Hit Roll (9d6): 28
    Your Dodge Roll (8d6 - No Sharingan): 26 Sasuke Hit!

You take 5 DMG (10 Total)
    +Injury Thresh hold 10/20/30/40
    +1/4 Injuries received!

Sasuke
    Your Hit Roll (8d6 - No Sharingan): 29
    Hinata's Dodge Roll (9d6): 33 Hinata Dodges!

Sometimes, Hinata seems like a small, adorable bunny. Shy and easy to spook, yet under that simple facade is something far more dangerous.

My first strike easilly sails over her shoulder as she ducks. The rising knee that follows meets her palm and she lashes out with the crook of her foot. She hooks the back of my ankle and pulls. I fall to the ground and roll to the left, avoiding the elbow that smashes into the earth.

My palms push me off the ground, back into the fray. A flurry of punches and kicks assault the young Hyuuga. Each blow is parried by her open palms. They gently strike my knuckles and divert them away. Hinata moves like flowing water, and no matter how much I try to strike her down, she simply curves around me.

A single moment of frustration has me pushing just a tiny bit too far. My fist, which was aimed for her face, gently grazes her cheek. In the blink of an eye, she dashes forward. Our noses nearly touch, and as I stare deeply into her ashen orbs, I realize that this would have been yet another killing blow if she were using her clan's trademark.

Two palms slam into my abdomen, forcing the breath from my lungs. My small body is thrown back by the mighty blow. Children we might be, but Chakra is a hell of a force multiplier.

This time, I knew she dealt some real damage. Nevertheless, Hinata doesn't stop. She rushes at me, palms aiming to strike at invisible targets.

Hinata
    Hinata's Hit Roll (9d6): 30
    Your Dodge Roll (8d6 - No Sharingan): 24 Sasuke Hit!

You take 5 DMG (15 Total)
    +Injury thresh hold 10/20/30/40
    +1/4 Injuries Received.

Sasuke
    Your Hit Roll (8d6 - No Sharingan): 33
    Hinata's Dodge Roll (9d6): 31 Hinata Hit

She takes 10 DMG! (20 Total)
    +Thresh hold 10/20/30/40
    +2/4 Injuries Received.

Iruka calls the match!
    Sasuke Wins!

I cough, putting everything into dodging her dexterous blows. However, it's very clear that she has a great deal of momentum in the fight. My fists are deflected with expert precision and all My kicks seem to miss her by a hairsbreadth.

Hinata is no cute bunny.

She's a cunning tiger.

I scurry around the battlefield, trying to figure out a way to beat a faster, more slippery opponent without using my Sharingan. The answer hits me like a sledgehammer.

Hinata's punch swerves past my face and though I dodge it, the following attack rings true. She spins with her missed blow, using the momentum of her swing to stretch out her elbow.

I barely manage to turn the devastating blow into something far more manageable. Instead of it striking my face, I dash forward, taking the hit with my chest. This proves to be the catalyst I need to turn the match around.

Hinata's movements are swift, precise, and very flowery at times. This is all well and good to steal the pace of combat, but it also leaves her incredibly open if something goes wrong. And something just went horribly wrong.

The instant her elbow bounces off my chest, she's momentarily knocked off balance. It's a tiny, almost unnoticeable thing.

But I do notice. And I do take advantage of it. I step in, crashing into her with all my might. my much bigger and beefier body acts as a perfect barrier, preventing any leverage for a powerful counter-attack. A mighty fist smashes into her stomach and I let gravity do the rest.

The two of us crumple onto the floor, my forearm digging into the back of her neck. She struggles, but even with charka, this specific hold makes it incredibly difficult to do anything. Both of us knows it.

"And match!"

Iruka calls, knowing the specific time to call it.

"Good match!" he says with a huge grin.

I smile and get off my friend, a small grin gracing my ragged face. My lungs burn, and so too does Hinata look exhausted.

"N-Nice fight." she whimpers, one hand on her stomach while the other stretches out.

I faired much the same and blow a chuckle.

"Y-Yeah." Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. That fits her to a T. "N-Nice fight."

Suffice to say, we stayed out of the remaining fights. Watching Naruko and Kiba go at it was fun, but also pretty predictable. The young boy delivered some mighty hits, but Naruko just took them all and kept going. She was like a tank, and before long, Kiba fell. He couldn't take nearly as much as he could dish out.

As for Sakura, she faced Iruka himself. Out of all the fights, this one was perhaps the most educational. And to his credit, Iruka took her seriously. Everyone left the school with a number of bruises, but no one left unsatisfied.

Sakura had a brilliant, warm smile on her face. The bruises were badges of honour she took pride in.

I only hoped this helped her get better.

[Quest Complete! | Reward: +3 Wish Points | +1 Agility | Bonds Increased with friends!]

===============

Name: Sasuke Uchiha
    Age 11 Years~

Stats
    (8) Strength 4d6 (-1: Trait)
    (10) Dexterity 11/5d6 + 6d6 (Sharingan T1)
    (8) Agility 10/4d6 + 6d6 (Sharingan T1)
    (10) Charisma 5d6
    (12) Cunning 6d6
    (6) Luck 3d6
    (16) Soul 8d6 (+2: Trait)

Injury Thresholds: 10/20/30/40
    +When total damage surpassed a threshold, you gain 1 Injury.
    +Reach max injuries and you begin to die.

Chakra: [56] = +32 [Soul*2] + 6 [STR] + 8 [Dex] + 10 [Cun]

Hit Roll: 8/14d6 = +4d6 (Agi) +6d6 (Sharingan) + 4d6 (Taijutsu/Interception Fist)

STR DMG: 8 = (STR (8) x Unnarmed DMG Mod (1.2 + .3 (Hakkyokuken) )

Skill Points: 4 | +2 / Year
    Wish Points: 15 | +1 / Year
    Money: 550 Ryo

Clone (Normal) [1/10]: The basic art of making illusionary clones.
    +Chackra Cost: 4
    +1d6 to your next combat roll.

Fireball [2/10]: The basic jutsu of your clan. "It burns!!!"
    +Chackra Cost: 21
    +4d6 + Soul DMG if it connects.

Basic Genjutsu (Sound) [1/10]: A simple genjustu that produces a sound at your desired location. Limited to simple and rudimentary sounds at the moment.
    +Chackra Cost: 5
    +Cun/Soul DC: 10

Substitution [1/10]: Move swiftly and replace yourself with a log.
    +Chackra Cost: 15
    +1d6+2 to your next dodge roll.

Transformation [1/10]: Cover yourself in an illusion made of Chakra.
    +Chackra Cost: 20
    +1d6 to your next disguise roll.

Sharpening [2/10]: Coat your weapon in Chakra, making the edge slightly sharper.
    +Chackra Cost: 13
    +Add +5 DMG to your weapon.

Strengthening [3/10]: Coat your muscles in Chakra, making you slightly stronger.
    +Chackra Cost: 22
    +Temporarily gain +4 STR.
    Yue (Obsidian Crystal Gift): Supposedly, the fairy was born from your crystal?
    {Combat}

Taijutsu [3/10]: The basic art of fighting with one's body. +3d6 to Combat rolls | 1.2 toward Unarmed DMG Mod.
    +Hakkyokuken [2/10]: A particular fighting style that focuses on striking power. +.3 to Unarmed DMG Mod. (Total = 1.5) (Naruko Knows This)
    +Intercepting Fist [2/15]: The Uchiha clan's fighting style. Excels when used with the Sharingan. +4d6 to combat rolls. Gains extra dice per 3 Tomoe. (Already included in total)
    Throwing [2/10]: The basic art of lobbing pointy bits into other's bodies. You can hit slow-moving things! +2d6 to Combat rolls.
    One-Handed Swords [1/10]: How to use one-handed swords. +1d6 to combat rolls.

{Utility}
    Stealth [3/10]: Ninja Vanish! +3d6 to rolls.

{Life}
    Dancing [2/10]: Your mom's a really good dancer. You kinda want to try it out. +2d6 to rolls.
    Singing [2/10]: You've apperantly got a really good singing voice. Still, being called adorable by your mom's a bit humiliating... +2d6 to rolls.
    Cooking [1/10]: It doesn't hurt to pick up a few cooking skills here and there. +1d6 to rolls.
    Enduring Soul: All soul related rolls gain an extra +2!
    Sharingan (6/6 Tomoe):
    Your Sharingan has reached full maturity at the age of 6. Truly, others would consider you a prodigy if they knew. All that's left to do is train with it.
    +Chackra Cost: 8 Per Turn
    +Dex/Agi rolls gain 6d6!
    +Copy Cat +1: You can make a Soul or Cun Roll to try and memorize a Jutsu you've seen. This gain 1 bonus dice.
    +Chackra Cost +2: Lowers The cost of keeping the Sharingan active by 10%
    +Shift: You can decide whatever your Sharingan 'looks' like. This makes hiding them easy, as you can make them look like your normal eyes.

Mangekyo Sharingan: A powered-up version of your eyes that has some special ability. Using it supposedly makes you blinder.
    +Image Gate: You can summon shades of Naruto and Sasuke? They're not as strong as they should be...
    +cost: 35 Chakra +5/ Round.

The Price Of Power: Using the Mangekyo is not a good idea. It'll leave you blind.
    +[1/300]

Chakra Nature: Everyone has one, though some have more.
    -???: You're not sure what your original one is.
    -Lightning (100%): You've got the hang of Lightning Element chakra. (Lighting Jutsu gain bonuses | Higher Tier Lightning Jutsu Can be Learned)

Scarred: You've been through some hardships. The experience has left marks on your body and soul.
    +2 Soul!
    -1 STR
    Yue: Your wish-granting fairy. She seems... odd, but nice.
    +Medium House Replica: A gift you gave her. He table-sized house she lives in. It has a pool!
    Itachi: Your 'big' brother. He's prety cool.
    Fugaku: Your stern, but kind father.
    Mikoto: Your mom. Love with a face.
    Naruko: Your friend? Why is she a girl?
    Saeko Uchiha? The name you chose if your new sibling is a sister!
    +2 Years old!

Acquaintances
    -----------------

Mila: The leader of the cat contract.
    Jubei: Your partner for the cat contract.
    Family!
    -1 Action (Personal Phase) | This is after the school/free action thing. You usually have 2.
    +1 Extra SP per year.
    +1 Extra Stat Point Per Year
    +1 Jutsu Point Per Year
    +1 Life Skill Point Per Year
    +1 Technique Point Per Year
    Elite Smoke Bomb X1:
    Adds +50 to stealth rolls.

Please leave a like and comment if you enjoyed this chapter and story.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  4. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

So what's Hinata's characterization here?
    In what ways does she differ from canon?

!Renzie0 likes this.
  5. Fellgar

Fellgar Connoisseur.

So how does the stat system work? Is it every two points into it raises the dice pool?

nirmtheworm and Leekz01 like this.
  6. Leekz01

Leekz01 Well worn.

Yes

!Renzie0 likes this.
  7. NotSoLostGhost

NotSoLostGhost Know what you're doing yet?

Mostly gained a bit more confidence, and over the years that's grown. She's still a bit shy and such, but far more sure of herself and less doubtful/hesitant.

!Renzie0, SebazuD and Leekz01 like this.
  8. Threadmarks: Chapter 12 - Age 12/Year 12 [Part One]
    Leekz01

Leekz01 Well worn.

It's the final year, and all things considered, we've come a very long way. As a sort of "test" Iruka and Mizuki have the class run around all of Konoha.

"First place gets five-hundred Ryo!" Mizuki announced, "So try your hardest!"

Many stared in awe and a number of wide eyes graced my class. Five hundred wasn't a petty sum, at least for kids. The value of money is really weird in this universe, as somethings cost a lot more than others when they really shouldn't.

Weapons were dirt cheap, but the more impressive commodities could cost an arm and a leg. Still, five hundred Ryo would be close to one-hundred dollars. Again, quite the sum for people your age. my clan's pretty well off, even with the insanity from a few years back, so my allowance isn't so bad. I mostly spend it on nick knacks here and there and on Yue's little home. The rest I saved up.

"That's a lot of money!" Naruko whispers by my side or tries to. "I could buy so much stuff with that!"

Quiet and Naruko usually don't go together. Which is a paradox since she's probably the best when it comes to stealth in our entire class. Seriously.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that she doesn't wear that orange jumpsuit anymore? My mother was quick to peel that off her as if it were a tick. Of course, Naruko screamed murder, but thankfully, the issue was solved rather easilly. Now, she'd alternate between that crazy get-up and normal clothing.

Right now, my best friend wore a simple white T-shirt with a short, blue skirt. It was as plain as one could be, but she really liked that look.

"You can just blend into the crowd, you know?"

And on that note, Naruko had no preference for clothing options.

"Eh, skirts are cool cause you get lots of air on hot days!"

They quickly became another weapon in her attempts to get a rise out of me. Once more, I have to say that children could be infuriating at times. The more I told them to stop, the more they pestered me.

"Pants are nice if you don't want things getting on your legs."

Those were her words. Indeed, Naruko was the only girl in our class that cared not for lady-like things. That often caused friction between her and the other girls; Aside from Hinata.

"What'd you buy if you won?" I turn and ask Naruko as Iruka begins to explain the rules?

"Huh?" she blinks and gives me a confused look. "Oh, um, I don't really know," Naruko says with a shrug. "What do people buy when they have a lot of money?"

"Things they like," I answered as a sigh leaves my lip. "Maybe you could buy Ramen?"

Sometimes, I forget how little Naruko has in the way of money. Of course, she wouldn't know what to buy.

Her eyes light up.

"Oh! I could buy you some cool clothes!" she answers with a snicker. "Cause your sense of style is really bad!"

My brow furrows in slight frustration.

"What's wrong with my style?"

Naruko rolls her eyes and points at my shirt.

"Black and blue? That's so boring!" she says and gently pats my shoulder. "I think orange and green would look great on you!"

I visibly gag at her suggestion. In return, Naruko bursts out into laughter.

The best of friends indeed...

Anyways, what's my strategy for the race? why give if every I have from the start!

Even I can find a competitive spirt when going against young children. Truth be told, some of my classmates were fast. Hinata came to mind and so did Naruko. The former was very dexterous; each movement was practiced and refined. The later just had so much energy she blitzed through everything without question.

Then, there was Kiba.

"I'm going to kick your ass in this race!" he suddenly shouted, barging up to Naruko with a mighty grin on his face. "Not literally, but you get the point!"

My best friend returned the gesture by sprouting a grin of her own.

"No way!" she proudly announced, pressing both of her hands onto her hip. "You're too slow!"

Slow isn't something I'd call Kiba. When it came to pure agility, he might be the fastest one in the class. His skill left much to be desired, though.

"We'll see about that!" the young Inazuka claimed. "There's no way I'll lose to you!"

This bickering kept going back and forth between the two. Since when had they become so close, I wondered? Maybe it was because I never really took him all that seriously?

He'd always be challenging me, but I'd end up winning in the end. With each loss, he grew a tad bit more cunning in his tactics, but I was just better when it came to that sort of stuff. What he had on me was superior physical strength- something Naruko had as well.

At some point, the two of them started sparing and a rivalry was born. Now, Kiba would constantly try to one-up Naruko as he had tried with me. The difference was that he'd actually win some.

"Alright, is everyone ready?" Iruka's voice drew my eye away from the bickering duo. The proud teacher looked around, pencil riding along his notebook's page. "Good, then let's start!"

A loud bang signalled the start of the race. Everyone dashed away, leaving that unprepared behind. I took a deep breath and readied my legs, allowing chakra to freely flow through them like I've been taught. Naruko and Kiba rushed past me, both sending amusing taunts my way.

"Take a good look at my back! You'll be seeing it a lot!" Kiba shouted.

"See you at the finish line!" Naruko said.

I rolled my eyes and steadied my gaze far ahead. Focus solely on my goal and put all things aside. My lip twitched up slightly and my muscles coiled like snakes.

Time to go.

I let go and pushed forward.

My feet turned into wings and I took to the skies.

DC: 10/20/30/40
    Your Roll (10d6): 45 PASS

Every step I take is measured and without wasted movement. I take to the rooftops and cut across the vast majority of the other participants. So long as I follow the path, it doesn't matter if I'm on the ground or not. Naruko and Kiba are the first to imitate my charge, but by then, it's already too late.

I swiftly take the lead and use everything available to keep it. This too is a lesson and I'll make sure everyone knows that as well.

Unfortunately, while I blast into first place, the actual run is very long. By the time I reach the third quarter, I feel my muscles burning.

DC: 10/20/30
    Your Roll (10d6): 34 *.7 (Tired) = 24 PASS

"Don't think you've won!" Kiba somehow finds himself on your tail. Behind him are Naruko, Hinata, and another student I don't really know much about.

The three nip at my heels and put their all into overtaking me. The finish line is so close I can taste Iruka's cheap perfume!

Just a little more...

DC: 10/20
    Your Roll (10d6): 35 *.5 (Tired) = 17 Fail!

At the very last second, I realized that I need to breathe. A lung full of air weighs me down just enough for Kiba to overtake me. He grins and dashes forward.

"Smell ya late-"

Naruko smashes into my back and pushes me forward.

"I ain't losing that bet!" She grumbles, using me as a stepping stone to land on Kiba's shoulders. I watch in awe as she jumps off him and claims victory.

Just, wow.

Kiba stands, slack-jawed at the outcome.

"T-That's not fair!" He grumbles and kicks the ground.

Naruko turns, sweat dripping down her face like a waterfall. She grins.

"A ninja uses everything to their advantage, right, Sasuke?"

I blow a small chuckle and give her a thumbs up.

Kiba clicks his tongue, and it's at that point that Iruka shows himself.

"And we have our winner!" he shouts. "Congratulations!"

Naruko cheers and happily takes the money.

I might not have won, but the experience was definitely worthwhile. I learned to Be More Efficient in my running.

[Reward: +1 Agility Gained!]

===========

It took some time, but Sakura's sour outlook slowly began to change. She failed time and time again but never allowed despair to grab her once more.

By this point, I started to notice that she and Ino weren't getting along so well anymore. It didn't take a genius to realize what had happened. Though, since last year, fangirls had all since vanished. Classes really got difficult. Whatever energy they might have had to chase after me was diverted into studying.

Those that valued my attention more than their lessons soon found themselves falling. Watching Sakura struggle and slowly get better was... not pleasant. To help her and the other people in our class, I started a small study group. Obviously I wouldn't be able to do it every day, but that wasn't the plan.

If I needed to do everything for them, then what was the point, right? They had to show some initiative. Thus, I gathered up Sakura and asked anyone else that would like to join. A few familiar faces showed up, among them being Naruko and Hinata. Ino was nowhere to be seen, sadly.

My goal was simple- train their chakra control and see if I could have them casting the most simple of Genjutsu by the end of the year. The thing about Konoha's schooling system was that you didn't need to master everything they had available in order to pass.

What one needed to advance was the basic three and strong fundamentals. Even with all of this, the final hurdle was a test against a veteran ninja. Every Jutsu learned and skill developed was a chance to impress them; a tool to hone and practice.

Suffice to say, it was hard. Teaching Chakra control was something your school's teachers had been trying to do for most of your class time. What made you think you'd do any better? Of course, they had to contend with an entire class. I quickly realized that there was no way I'd be able to do this by myself.

It sounds a bit selfish, but I focused the majority of my attention on my closes friends. Thankfully, Sakura bloomed under my tutelage and then I shirked a bit of the responsibility onto her. She learned a whole lot more by teaching than by being taught, that's for sure.

Eventually, I stopped going, but the study group didn't fall apart. It was what I was hoping for. Still, I'd dropped by at least once a week to help out whenever I could.

Overall, it was a great success!

==========

Both my father and Itachi were extremely hesitant to have me use my Mangekyo Sharingan once more.

"It's a very dangerous power that can leave you blind," Fugaku said with a stern expression. "You shouldn't be using it without a good reason."

"You shouldn't need to use it, brave little brother," Itachi nodded in agreement.

In short, they were worried. It touched my heart, but the truth was cruel.

DC: 20
    Your Roll (5d6): 24 PASS!

"The future is a blank slate," I began. "If I find myself on a mission, lost and without any other means to defend myself, I'd rather know how to use the tools given to me."

It wasn't as simple as saying a few words, but I didn't give up with their first refusal. I'd drill into them how stupid it would be to not learn to at least get the basics down for my eyes.

Love made people do stupid things, but thankfully, they actually listened to my feedback.

Thus, my experimentation began.

The first thing I tried was summoning "Sasuke." Last time Naruto came out, and after several weeks of attempts, my counterpart also burst into life. He looked old, tired, and it seemed like he was just barely holding on to his own existence. For the few moments he was up, I commanded him to fire off a simple fire Jutsu, which he did.

Then came the explanation to my father and brother. I told them of the odd dreams I was having- that they never really stopped. This "other" you was from that dream.

Before I could continue explaining my theory, Itachi asked an interesting question.

"Can you only summon those you've dreamed of?"

I didn't have a concrete answer for him.

"Why don't you try and summon me?" He propositioned.

I had though my Mangekyo could only summon Sasuke or Naruto, but was that really the case? Was I just so focused on the two that I closed off other possible avenues?

I had to test it out. It would be an incredible folly to limit my powers just because of a misconception.

"Ok," I answered my brother and shut my eyes. "I'll try."

Itachi had been nothing but the best brother to me. The least I could do was try and summon him above any other person I might have possibly thought of.

Just like Naruto and Sasuke, I focused on what made Itachi, well, Itachi.

He was a great brother- someone who'd do anything to protect Sasuke. He gave everything he had to so, and while most of his decisions were questionable, at the end of the day, he truly cared for his little brother. He'd die for me.

Energy gathered in my eye, and just like before, I focused it, moulded it with my thoughts, and then used that energy to manifest my ideal image of Itachi.

My eyes shot open and light immediately began together in the space before you. What I expected to see was the old, sickly man who gave everything for Sasuke. Either that or the man who found peace in meeting his brother one last time.

Instead, the person that stood before me was neither of those things. He was Itachi, my brother- and the gentle smile on his face was no different than the one he always showed me.

"This one's much more tangible," Fugaku noted. "From far away, I doubt I'd notice much else aside from the glowing."

Indeed, this phantom held a solid form, well, a more solid form. He was still transparent, but at the same time, he wasn't breaking apart.

What was the difference, though? Why was Itachi so much more defined than the others?

My mind swirls for a hint of truth. Why is this Itachi so much more concrete than the others I've tried to summon? What makes him different? A number of ideas come to mind, all carrying uncertainty. There's absolutely nothing to back up my points, but without setting a course, how am I to find the true path?

I have a physical connection with Itachi- he's my brother. Perhaps because I know him so well he had a stronger manifestation? Yet, if that's true, then what makes Sasuke and Naruto different? I've seen their story. I've seen them grow up, struggle through hardships, and eventually become fathers.

Naruto was the hyperactive ninja in his youth. He worked harder than anyone else and never gave up on his ideal. What he wished for was approval, but what he wanted was friendship. It's why he sunk his claws into Sasuke and never let go. He'd never abandon his friends, even if others would call him a fool. He'd rather stay a fool than accept the way the world worked if it meant helping his friends.

Sasuke, on the other hand, was a boy that lost his clan, his family. Treachery and plans of old drowned him in despair. Through the years, he simmered in his hatred, only pushed to the limit and well beyond by his own blood; A misguided and dying brother. He fell and rancour consumed his every thought. It seethed in him, turning him against friend and village. Lost in the darkness, it took great lengths and sacrifices to bring him back. Yet, back he came. A bittersweet feeling of acceptance must have flowed through him at the end.

I never met them. There were an uncountable number of moments in their lives that I likely missed. Yet, even with that, I think I know a bit about the type of people they were.

Could it be that my Mangekyo Sharingan draws upon those very ideals to summon my imaginations to life? I'm unsure, but untill proven wrong, this is what I'll go with.

I shut my eyes, extinguishing Itachi's double.

"Trying another?" my father asks.

I nod.

"I think... I think i might have learned a bit more about my power from big brother," I answer and give Itachi a smile. "Thanks."

He nods silently, lip twitching upward like my own.

"I'm glad to have helped, little brother," he hums.

And with that, I focus once more. Chakra swirls in my eyes. I invasion Sasuke Uchiha. The Sasuke that could have been. And with that, I open my eyes.

The world bursts into dark blues and deep reds. I feel a huge amount of Chakra leave my body, yet, standing before me is a much more defined shade. Not quite as solid as Itachi's, but certainly more refined than the shambling spectre from before.

With a thought, I command it to step forward. It does just that.

"Let's see if it can fight," I chuckle, already feeling the drawing leech on my reserves growing. "Brother?"

Itachi nods and draws a Kunai. He charges my spectre and it acts without my input. A flurry of blows are exchanged, and for the few moments where the shade consumes your chakra, it is a match for Itachi. Perhaps not one for his full might, but still enough to push him back.

Unfortunately, at the point where its eyes blaze crimson and black flames begin to surge around it, the strain grows too strong. I fall to my knees, exhausted; the phantom, likewise, bursts into tiny motes of light.

"P-Progress," I gasp, chuckling between ragged breaths.

My father and brother are at my side in an instant.

"It's certainly a versatile ability," Fugaku says with an approving nod. "Being able to create shades stronger than yourself is a very potent ability."

Itachi nods.

"Those black flames also seem quite familiar," he mumbles and looks to Fugaku. "Don't you think so?"

Our father nods.

"A very powerful ability indeed."

I laugh.

All I need is to train it. God... I can't feel my legs...

Darkness consumes me.

But everything was ok. I had people to care for and comfort me.

[Reward: Mangekyo Sharingan - Image Gate Ability Upgraded!]

==========

Time slips through my fingers far swifter than I expected. I find myself spending more and more of it with my family, and before long, Saeko begins to grow up. She still sticks to our brother like glue, but now, she also follows me around.

Her intentions are a bit more malicious, and I think I know why.

As a joke, my brother told her he'd give her some training if she managed to sneak up and "tag" me. Being just a few years old, I can't understate how fast she was learning things. She could easilly understand people. Suffice to say, I found myself trying to evade her constant ambushes.

Sure, it's all fun and games when she jumps out with a toy kunai, but when she starts doing it while I'm taking a shit... well, it's a whole lot less cute then. And no- I didn't scream like a little girl the first time she tried!

That's not all, however. Itachi's little girlfriend is also making a lot more appearances at our house. Usually, she only stopped by every now and then, but we're basically seeing her every other day now. My mother never seems to stop talking to Fugaku about it. By the looks of things, she expects the two to marry each other in a few years.

"I might be a gramma!" she suddenly told me one day. The twisted smile on her face sent shivers down my spine.

What was it with mothers and wanting grandkids?

========
    Agi +1! (9->10)

Fireball [2->3/10]: The basic jutsu of your clan. "It burns!!!"
    +Chackra Cost: 21-> 20/40
    +4d6-> 4d6+2 + Soul DMG if it connects. Or 4d6 + Soul *1.1 DMG if charged

Breathing [1/10]: A simple technique to calm yourself down. +2 to all non-combat rolls for the remainder of the day.
    Throwing [2->3/10]: The basic art of lobbing pointy bits into other's bodies. You can hit slow-moving things! +2->3d6 to Combat rolls.

Mangekyo Sharingan: A powered-up version of your eyes that has some special ability. Using it supposedly makes you blinder.
    +Image Gate: It seems you can forge manifestation of people you know a lot about? These shades can also use their abilities?
    +Tier 1 Shade Cost: 35->25 Chakra + 5->4/ Round.
    +Tier 2 Shade Cost: 50 Chakra + 5/ Round.
    ========

Please leave a like and comment if you enjoyed this chapter and story.

9. Barbaric_Bob

Barbaric_Bob [Barbarus-Maximus]

100bucks straight into the ramen fund

10. LEGENDARYNOT

LEGENDARYNOT I trust you know where the happy button is?

So image gate summons what he imagines and the power is determined by the depth/detail of his visualisation

11. Grimmouse197

Grimmouse197 Experienced.

So is there going to points where the rolls for combat are going to be skipped over at some point... because when his skill increases there is no way that he would lose so a unskilled ninja....

12. Fellgar

Fellgar Connoisseur.

Actually naruko is trying to get a rise out of sasuke. Actual seduction style attempts like sexy clothing is a possibility.

13. Taliesin

Taliesin Know what you're doing yet?

I'm enjoying the story, and I have one observation that may help.

Most of this is in first person present tense, but there are random switches to 2nd person 'you', 'yours', at times, as well as past tense. Something to keep an eye on, it's quite jarring when it happens, especially the switches between person.

If you're debating what to go with, the standard pick for most fiction is 1st or 3rd person, in past tense. Readers will generally expect one of the two.

14. Mr Beaver Buttington

Mr Beaver Buttington Harsh and occasionally fair.

Can Sasuke use some wishes to permanently increase his stamina?

15. Threadmarks: Chapter 12 - Age 12/Year 12 [Part Two]
    Leekz01

Leekz01 Well worn.

Not much time left. The clock continues to tick forward, and soon, it'll strike noon. Events of horrible scale might be just on the horizon. Death, war, treachery, and forgotten truths. I've changed so much, and so far, it doesn't seem like there's any mystical force guiding everyone's actions down a set path.

It's both a freeing and terrifying thought. Nothing will hold me back, thus, the future can be changed. People can be saved. But, that in itself means that others can die. A twisted part of myself keeps whispering that my very existence might have doomed this world. But, I've learned to live with it.

Once I was scared. Once, I sat back and did nothing. Even if I had tried, there was no way I could retrace Sasuke's steps. I'm not him. It was never an option.

The path I knew is fading, slowly vanishing into the ether. For now, all I can do is use it as a guide. Once I found myself amongst a wide, expansive field of boundless possibilities, then I'll have to forge a path of my own making.

Untill then, all I can do is try to be proactive. The first thing that comes to mind is Mizuki. I still have no idea if he's a spy or not. Things could have changed. What once was can be something else. Obviously, he won't be approaching Naruko this time.

She's not a failure. She's not ostracised. And, most importantly, she's not someone that can be easilly taken advantage of. Her mind is as sharp as a knife; she makes others think it naught but a child's toy, but that's the point.

They never question whether or not the blade aimed at their throat is a danger. Not untill it's too late.

I wonder where she picked up such a sly and perceptive attitude from. She wasn't like that when the two of us met. She was a scared, sad, and lonely child. Her eyes carried a spark of what she would become, but that was all; a spark.

Who fanned the flames? Was it me? Or did she develop such a cunning mind by herself?

Perhaps I'll never know. Whatever the case, I'm thankful that she's not as dull as her original counterpart. It means I don't have to constantly look after her.

Sometimes, I wonder how things would have turned out if I left her alone that fateful day.

I really do, wonder.

------------------

"Alright! Let's go, Sasuke!" Naruko's voice rips through the house. Her hands clamp down on mines and with that freakish strength of hers, she pulls me behind her. I could do nothing to resist and find myself being dragged along.

My mother sits there, a small smile on her lip as she giggles. Saeko just stares as I'm pulled out of our house. Of course, my father simply shakes his head and opens the door. A lesson he learned last time Naruko tried this. Suffice to say, she wasn't paying attention and he was the one that had to pay for the damages.

In any case, the two of us were gone in the blink of an eye, off to whatever adventure Naruko's found this time.

"Your mom's cooking was delicious, by the way!" she tells me as the two of us come to a stop by the compound's entrance. The few Uchiha that spot us on the way out furrow their brow in confusion. I'm not exactly an unknown face, but compared to the other children, I rarely go out to socialize.

Maybe that was something I overlooked. I'm not nearly as active inside the Uchiha compound as I was outside, so while I knew some of the kids my age, I didn't really have many as friends. Aside from Shisui, of course. It's also not like there aren't other Uchiha kids in our school, there just aren't in our class.

I blow a sigh and slip my hand out of Naruko's, giving it a gentle rub. She'll be a beast of a woman when she grows up.

"So, what's this secret treasure you were on about?" I subtly ask. "It's not something like last time, is it?"

Naruko narrows her eyes and puffs out her cheek.

"That was one time," she says with a huff. "How was I supposed to know someone was dumping all their useless stuff there?!"

My mother was not happy to see me come home covered in stains. The smell was also a point she made sure to drill into our skull. I won't be forgetting how she personally bathed us.

Did the woman not know the meaning of personal space?! I wasn't a kid!

"Trust me, this time it's something really cool," she proclaimed, guiding me through Konoha's streets and toward a section near one of the walls.

I rolled my eyes and followed, taking note of the path. From the looks of things, this seemed to be one of the parts of the city that got hit the worst during Kyuubi's attack. The reconstruction effort had been going nicely, but there were still sections like this that hadn't gotten much work done.

"Here it is!" Naruko exclaimed, pointing to a perfectly normal-looking patch of grass.

Obviously, there was more to this than just that. I raised a brow and waited for her to show me what was really going on.

She smiled and stepped forward, reaching into the earth and pulling up to reveal a secret tunnel.

"Found it when I was practicing a cool flip," she said with a grin.

"Ok, this is definitely not a garbage dump," I answered warily.

Maybe it was an escape tunnel? A secret warehouse? Whatever it was, it definitely seemed interesting. However, that also meant it could be dangerous.

"I know!" Naruko said cheerfully. "And I don't think anyone else has found it either!"

We'd be the first then. Very interesting indeed.

"Come on, I want to see what's down there!"

I didn't have a chance to stop her before she jumped on the ladder and slid all the way down. Well, that made the choice for me. With a sigh, I climbed down. It was dark, covered in spiderwebs, and abandoned.

------------------

The dark, unknown passage greets us with open arms. Spiderwebs coat its walls like blankets and dust flutters in the air. It takes a great deal of concentration to hold in the sneeze that follows. Naruko lacks my force of will, however.

"Achooo!" She blows, covering the nearby wall in spit and other dischargers. "S-So dusty," she says with a whimper as she wipes her nose.

Well, if there was still anyone inside, they definitely know we're here now.

"Try and be a little quiet, ok?" I whispered, cautiously stepping past her. "And keep an eye out for traps."

Naruko rolls her eyes but makes sure to silently follow after me.

"Sure thing, boss," she answers, giving me a great view of her pink tongue. I can't pass up the opportunity. Honestly, you'd have thought she'd have learned by now.

"Hwa?!" I snatch her tongue and gently pull down. "W-Wetgwo!" Naruko growls, eyes boring into my skull.

I hold back a laugh, though quickly move my fingers away when she tries to bite you. The clanking of teeth echoes through the old, abandoned bunker. What secrets slumber within its mossy, cracked walls? What dangers wait to be discovered?

I couldn't take this lightly. If there are any traps, then they'd likely fallen into disrepair, but that doesn't mean I should count them out. I take a breath and walk forward, eyes on the lookout for deadly dangers.

DC: 17/20
    Your Roll (6d6): 21 PASS!

As the two of us cautiously step down the winding staircase, something glints in the corner of my eye. I immediately hold up a hand, stoping Naruko in her tracks. She stays silent, forgoing that childishness of hers untill I've said my piece.

"A trap," I point to one of the loose bricks. Worn away by time, the rusted arrow within is easy enough to spot.

I give it a quick look and find the best way to disarm it. Yet, just before I do so, a thought comes to mind. we're dealing with ninja's. If it was me setting up these traps, I'd place more than a single. Heck, I'd trap the trap!

With eyes sharpened by paranoia, I take another look at the trap and everything near it. Naruko patiently waits behind me, keeping herself entertained by looking at the walls and back the way we came. Eventually, I spot a tiny imperfection on the wall directly above us.

A small grin splits my lips. Clever. If I were to disarm the trap, then the one above would trigger. I'm not sure what's hidden up there, but I don't want to know.

"Alright, let's go," I say, marking the wall with one of my kunai for future reference.

"You didn't even turn it off," Naruko answers, arms crossed. "What's the deal?"

I point up top.

"Another trap." She goes silent with that, nodding in understanding.

The traps might be old, but by the looks of things, they're far past their prime. Just as I thought, things shouldn't be so dangerous. Still, we have to keep a constant eye for these things.

I only hoped the others were as easy to find as this one.

---

After what felt like eight minutes, the two of us arrived at the bottom of the stairs. There were a few other traps, but just like the first, they weren't all that hard to avoid.

"This place stinks!" Naruko exclaimed, fingers pressing down on her nose. "And what's up with all the weird tube things?"

My brow furrowed in thought. As she said, the air was rotten and a number of large tubes filled the room. I stepped forward, giving each a quick examination. Dust marred their surface, so I wrapped my hand around my shirt and whipped away at the glass.

"Ewwww!" Naruko gasped and took a step back. "What the heck is that?!"

I had no idea. Floating within one of the tubes was what appeared to be a black, rotting mass of meat. It bulged near the top and was surely dead. Likely for years.

I cleaned the others, finding that they were all in much the same state. Some were bigger, others much smaller. It was the largest glass tube that made my blood run cold. The others didn't give us much of a view, but this one was clearly a fetus. Tiny, shrivelled arms and legs curled inward. The large, lumpy head sent shivers down my spine. Bile rose to my mouth, but I swallowed it back.

What the hell had we found? As my heart began to race, I heard the tale-tell sound of a door opening. My head snapped to the right, sporting Naruko by the other door. She was waiting for me to come closer. Not wanting to look at the grim sight any longer, I indulged her request and followed.

I stepped into the next room, finding that there was nothing else. Just these two.

"Oh!" Naruko's eyes sparkled as she spotted the bundle of scrolls and other notes on the far table. Like the previous room, a number of things sat within glass tubes. These were far less human in origin. Eyeballs, snakeheads, and monkey hands. They had been preserved, but for what twisted experiments?

Before Naruko could even touch anything, I gave the room another sweep for traps.

DC: 20
    Your Roll (6d6): 25 PASS!

Thankfully, aside from a small pressure plate near the door, it was clear. By the look of things, it would drop something from above. I definitely didn't want to disturb anything and risk setting it off, so I made sure Naruko knew where the trap was. After that, we went and began our investigations.

The texts were faded and very hard to read, especially in the dark.

"Huh? Oh, I mean, it's not that dark," Naruko commented as she began to read the scroll. "You need better eyes," she teased, making spinning motions in front of her own.

I rolled my eyes and patiently listened as she tried her hardest to pronounce the "big words" as she called them. It was both amusing and adorable.

"Pieliminareye test show alligator in-"

Sadly, she caught me snickering and said she'd tear the scrolls up if I didn't stop. Thus, my little fun ended.

What wasn't fun was what the scrolls spoke of. This seemed to be a lab where genetic engineering tests were being run. There weren't any clear markings to figure out who worked here, but I had a few guesses. All that was left was to decide what to do with all this information.

Hmm.

This wasn't something we could just fool around with. Traps littered the bunker's very walls. Death, twisted experiments, and god knows what else lay in the foundation of this room's inception. This was anything but safe for children. Weather Naruko wanted to make this a secret room wasn't the problem.

People had to know. The Hokage had to know.

"Aw well," my friend shrugged, eyes closing and lip turning downward in a cute pout. "We can just use my closet and pretend it's a secret hideout!"

"You... you were joking?" She really made me think otherwise.

"Of course, Sasuke." Naruko answers, lip pursed into another pout. "This place stinks!" she points to cobwebs and weird limbs in jars.

"I mean, there's some cool stuff, but it literally stinks," she gags, fingers tightening around her nose. "I don't know how long it'd take to clean it up, but I'm not doing it!"

I burst out laughing. That makes so much sense in hindsight.

"Huh? What's so funny?" she asks, brow furrowing. "Are you laughing at me?"

I restrained my laughter and look at her again. This is the same girl that once upon a time had boxes of spoiled food on her living room floor. Now, she cleans her room on the regular. How people change.

"Nope," I reply, a smile on my lip. "Just found it funny how you of all people complain about the room smelling."

For the first time in a bit, I see genuine embarrassment trickle up her cheeks. She sends a weak glare me way and then huffs.

"Whatever" Naruko whispers as she walks out of the room.

My smile falls and a tiny sigh slips from my lip.

Maybe I shouldn't have joked about that.

-------------

Try as I might, it seemed like Naruko had gotten in quite the stinky attitude after my little joke. I didn't want to push her too much, so I gave up and simply moved on to other matters. The Hokage had to be told, and while Naruko was a bit bothered, she still went along with me.

"Old man's sure to be surprised when we show up," she grumbled. "I bet he'll give us some cool stuff!"

At the very least, there was some more life slipping into her tone.

Before long, ee found ourselves in front of the Hokage tower. I wouldn't call ourselves a common occurrence, but the secretary knew me by name now.

"More trouble?" She asked, brow raising as she looks at Naruko. "Or you here for a personal visit?"

"Afraid it's the former," I said with a sigh. "We found something the Hokage would like to hear about."

"A secret something," Naruko nods.

The secretary takes a very good look at the two of us before blowing a sigh.

"Very well," she nods. "Just sit tight and he'll ask for you if he wishes."

In other words, there are ninja listening in on our conversations. It's a very easy way to keep us here while making sure no one leaves the room.

Anyways, we eventually do get called in.

"The Hokage will see you now," the secretary says as she opens the door. There hadn't even been a sound, let alone the passing of a message. One second she was sitting down, minding her business and the next she let us go.

Perhaps a Jutsu to deliver secret messages? I had to learn that.

-----------

Stepping through the office's main doors, we come face to face with Konoha's most dangerous man. With a body count likely higher than the total sum of everyone in this room's ages added together, he is a man not to be trifled with.

Hundreds?

Thousands?

Only his dreams can say.

"What's this I heard about secrets?" The old man asks with a smile.

I take a small breath and step forward, only for Naruko to blitz past me and leap straight into the old man's lap.

"So we found this secret bunker!" she starts, stealing the words right out of my mouth. "It was full of these weird experiments, eyeballs, hands, and stuff."

He blinks, looking to me for confirmation. I blink, holding back a snicker, and give him an affirming nod.

"I think there were fetuses floating in glass tubes," I hesitantly spit out. Just thinking about what we saw sends chills down my spine. "Most of them were rotting."

"Is that what they were?" Naruko asks, brow furrowed in confusion. "What's a fetas?"

This is exactly why I used such a "big word." It's best she doesn't know.

"Just a name for a dead thing," The Hokage says, sending me a knowing look. "But if what you say is true..."

A hum leaves his lip as he reaches for his pipe.

"A very interesting find indeed," he pauses. "Where did you say this bunker was?"

Naruko gladly spills the beans. Hiruzen takes it all in stride and sends for one of his men to check it out. Untill then, he entertains the both of us. Naruko continues to sit in his lap, telling him all about the "cool techniques" I showed her. Through it all, he smiles, gives her advice and laughs at any jokes she makes.

The deadly man known as "the god of ninja" is no more. All I see is a friendly grandfather listening to his granddaughter. There are no lies or trickery. Hiruzen is a good man, just like I thought.

Eventually, his men return with the confirmation from our stories.

He blows a hum and nods.

"I must admit, your achievement is quite something," he says with genuine pride in his voice. "Even we had missed that particular bunker."

The spark of mischief and light of idea glint in his eyes.

"Extraordinary contributions to the village and its safety demand extraordinary reward," he chuckles and lights his pipe. "As such, the both of you may request a single thing of me and I'll see about granting it."

As Naruko's eyes explode into massive saucers, the Hokage immediately questions his decision.

"These rewards, of course, have to be within reason." He says with a cough.

Well, well. That's a very interesting reward indeed.

"Ok, I know what I want!" Naruko suddenly says. "But I'll tell you later, ok?"

That was quick! The Hokage turns to me next.

"Well? What do you want, young Sasuke?"

Hmm.

-----------

"A high-quality blade, you say?" The Hokage hums, wrinkled hand gliding down his beard. "Is that all?" he asks with a chuckle.

"Erm, yes," I answer with a nod. "I'm sure."

"You could ask for secret knowledge, forbidden techniques, and even for I to train you in the arts," he continues with a curious nod. "Are you really certain of your choice?"

Ah, right. Sometimes I forget that others only see "Sasuke," the young Uchiha child. It doesn't matter how skilled I was, because, in the end, I'm still just viewed as a kid. It's an interesting advantage to have, for sure.

I shaked my head.

"All those things are nice, but I doubt you'd actually give me access to any secret teachings," I say with a small smile. "Besides, I'm sure showing so much favouritism might rub people the wrong way."

Or not. He's the Hokage. He can do whatever the hell he feels like doing. Honestly, I just couldn't think of anything "reasonable." Asking to learn the Shadow Clone Jutsu or anything like that would bring up many questions you'd rather not answer. If I think about it- this "reward" of his might as well be a test of character.

Best to go for something simple and useful.

The Hokage nods, bringing the pipe between his fingers to his lip.

"Such conviction is a strength in itself," he hums wisely. "While I can't give you our treasured blades, I can have you pick out the highest quality ones available for all shinobi within Konoha's walls."

Sweet! He's going to pay for my stuff! Free things are the best kinds of things!

"Thank you," I say with a small and courteous bow of your head.

The Hokage nods and then turns to Naruko.

"Now, what did you want again?" he asks. Amusement dances on his face as a chuckle slips past his rising lip.

My best friend blinks, surprised at having the spotlight thrust upon her. She fidgets in place, cheeks taking a slightly red hue. For a fraction of a second, she glances in my direction before puffing out her chest.

"It's a secret!" She exclaims and points to me. "Sasuke, please go outside so I can talk to him!"

Huh. She's quite a bit shyer than I expected. Never lost that part, it seems.

The Hokage blows a chuckle that reverberates through his chest. He turns to me, brow raised questioningly.

I shake my head, a small smile on my lip.

"Alright."

And with that, I step out of the room. As the door shuts behind me, Naruko can be seen starring in my direction intensely.

Why so secretive? You'd think she was about to ask him to let my mom adopt her or something...

In any case, I patiently wait outside.

-------------

With our rewards chosen, the Hokage lends us a random "Chunin." He was there to bring me to one of the best weapon shops in town. I very much doubted that this guy was just a Chunin. There was something about the way he walked and talked that pricked at the back of my mind. And, of course, I just couldn't see some no-name Chunin being given this task.

Perhaps I thought a bit too highly of myself and Naruko, but it just didn't seem like the norm. Anyways, the three of us eventually arrived at "Elite Ninja." An apt name for a store praised for high-quality goods.

"Just pick out what you want and we'll pay for it," the Chunin said quite calmly. That was another thing about him. He was very relaxed.

Putting such thoughts aside, I honed my attention towards the actual weapons.

"Sasuke! Pick this one!" Naruko suddenly called out. "It's so cool!"

The shop owner was looking at my friend with a confused look on his face. He turned to the Chunin and then back to Naruko. The ninja simply shrugged and gave him a lazy wave.

Whatever the case, Naruko's "choice" was a massive greatsword twice our size. I nearly burst out laughing at the notion. Seriously? It looked so unwieldy! How could anyone actually swing that thing around?

"I'll think about it," I answered with a meek smile. "But I'm looking for something smaller, honestly."

And with that, I went around the store. There were quite a few good options, but one drew my eyes in above all the others.

---------

Only a few weeks after our little discovery, our class has its "final exam." It was a simple written test followed by a demonstration of the main three Jutsu and a practical combat test. By this point, just about everyone had a hold on everything required. Sakura's study group helped out anyone that was struggling behind catch up.

And thus, the teams were chosen.

"Sasuke, Naruko and Sakura- you'll make up team seven."

The more things changed, the more they stayed the same. Though, things weren't quite so similar, were they? There was no fanfare from Sakura- no overt shouting between her and Ino. The two obviously had some sort of ill-air between them, but it wasn't as obvious as what was supposed to be.

"You don't seem very surprised," I said to Naruko.

My friend blinked and then her eyes widened.

"Oh, um, I wasn't paying attention!" she suddenly shouted. "We're on the same team? Awesome!"

Indeed. Awesome.

With that, we'd all be meeting our team leader in a few hours.

I had a feeling I knew who was coming.

=========
    Seduction [1/10]: Both male and female ninja make use of this skill. You made sure to ask your mom more about it. +1d6 to rolls.
    Meditation [1/10]: A calm mind is a sharp mind. Increases your resistance to mental attacks by +1d6
    Throwing [3->4/10]: The basic art of lobbing pointy bits into other's bodies. You can hit slow-moving things! +3->4d6 to Combat rolls.
    One-Handed Swords [2->3/10]: How to use one-handed swords. +2->3d6 to combat rolls.

Intercepting Fist [3->5/15]: The Uchiha clan's fighting style. Excels when used with the Sharingan. +5->7d6 to combat rolls. Gains extra dice per 3 Tomoe. (+2d6 Already included in total)
    Substitution [1->3/10]: Move swiftly and replace yourself with a log.
    +Chackra Cost: 15->12
    +1d6+2-> +2d6+4 to your next dodge roll.
    =========

Please leave a comment and like if you enjoy the story

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  16. Lotisman

Lotisman Versed in the lewd.

Im just waiting for the story to catch up to what was on SV
    Edit: I meant SB

Grimmouse197 likes this.
  17. Leekz01

Leekz01 Well worn.

You mean spacebattles? I never posted on SV.

18. Fellgar

Fellgar Connoisseur.

Huh. I was actually hoping that sasukes request was for the best solid clone technique the village had to get taught to naruko. What with her massive chakra reserves it would make for an interesting scene and show that you cherish her which is bonus relationship points with naruko and the hokage and likely kakashi.

Grimmouse197 and ShizaRiku like this.
  19. Leekz01

Leekz01 Well worn.

No worries naruko is getting the Shadow clone technique.

nirmtheworm and Grimmouse197 like this.
  20. Fellgar

Fellgar Connoisseur.

Yeah I figured but the point was to show that even when surprised by a sudden windfall your still thinking of her first. Ergo the relationship bonuses.

Grimmouse197 likes this.
  21. Leekz01

Leekz01 Well worn.

I'm already the most important person in Naruko's life so relationship bonus seems pointless too me when I could bypass grinding/saving money and earn myself a high quality weapon that'll most likely last me the rest of my adventure. Especially if I use yue to enhance it by (Spoilers)

With Skill points I can learn any technique by just imputing it into the skill tab. Yes with sp I can learn any skill long as it's not a bloodline technique/skill.

But so far all my skill points have been used to enhance my Sharingan or lower it chakra usage costs. Plus unlocking my Lighting elemental chakra, can learn the big Lightning chakra techniques now without having to waste time training elemental control.

Once sasuke becomes a genin the system is gonna update since we're not going by years anymore.

Fellgar likes this.
  22. Threadmarks: Chapter 12 - Age 12/Year 12 [Part Three](Prologue End)
    Leekz01

Leekz01 Well worn.

Time ticked by, slow as a trickling faucet. I hummed a small tune, sword in my lap. I had it for a few weeks, yet it still had that "new" smell clinging to its edge. The sterile scent of steel still stung my nostrils as I unsheathed the blade.

It was a long, double-edged sword. Where most ninjas used Katana, Ninjato or other eastern-themed weapons, I always found swords like this more interesting. Katanas had the "cool" factor, but more traditions, western swords like these had their own appeal.

I stared into its dark-blue surface and smiled at my reflection. At a distance, one might think my sword pitch as black, but even though this is an uncommon weapon, it's still made by ninja. This colour blended far easier in the shadow of night. The swirling, cloud design adorning its hilt and guard were a nice touch. Though, there wasn't much of a guard to actually speak of- at least at first glance.

That was the point, I suppose. At first glance, most things in Konoha- in this world seemed simple. Yet, with a slight twist of my wrist, two jagged spikes would shoot out at the point where the hilt and blade met. You'd have your guard and a hidden weapon to boot.

The sword was like the wind, easilly slicing through anything I tested its edge against. It was clear that this weapon was a mountain that needed to be toppled. My movements tarnished glistening, masterfully crafted blade. This was a weapon made for those who dedicated themselves to the way of the sword and the pricetag reinforced that. The only solution, then, was to get better so as to not bring shame to the wonderful weapon you had been given.

As my reflection smiled up at me, a heavyweight settled upon my shoulder.

"So, pick one yet?" Naruko's lips popped as she gently ran her finger across finely honed metal. "Everyone knows any cool sword has to have a name!"

She exclaimed, neck nearly snapping as she looked to Sakura.

"You think so, right?!"

Our other teammate turned, eyes blinking. Her lip quivered slightly before rising as her eyes shuffled to me then back to naruko.

"If Sasuke thinks it needs a name, then yeah," she said slowly.

I raised a brow, sheathing the gorgeous sword back into its sheath. Even now, I still couldn't help but take it out only to put it back.

"A name, huh?" I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about it. "What do you two think would be a cool name?" I joked, lips slipping into a small grin.

Naruko was the first to answer. There was no hesitation or doubt in her voice.

"Death Slicer!" she shouted with a certainty often found when asked about dinner. "Moon cutter!"

Then again, maybe not so much.

"Oh! What about Soul Cutter?!"

I chuckled at that last one. A fun little coincidence, that. Still, I doubted we'd be seeing my sword transform by saying a simple phrase.

"Interesting names," I said with a cough. "What about your ideas?"

Sakura was deep in thought, though, at my words, she looked up.

"Maybe Zantetsuken?" she hazards, eyes wavering as she stared at my blade. "Its the name of a legendary sword."

I scratched my chin, hiding the small smile that was prickling at my lips. With how quiet Sakura was, I thought she might have been a bit upset being on our team. Now, however, I know that to be false. She and Naruko aren't exactly close friends, but their relationship is far less volatile than what could have been. And, while Sakura still gives me odd looks when she thinks I'm not looking- I'm happy she didn't turn out to be the raving banshee she might have turned into.

Honestly, in the last year or so, Sakura's turned into one of the most determined ninja's trainee I knew.

"A name, huh?" I muttered.

==============

After what feels like hours, our team leader finally arrives. The door swings open and in steps a familiar face. There's no chalkboard eraser or prank to greet him, as Naruko had more than enough to entertain herself with. Namely- she had me and Sakura to talk to.

I could feel both my teammates tense up as Kakashi took a spot near the front of the room. The Jonin blew a hum and examined the three of us.

"You're still here?" he said softly. "That's one point I suppose," Kakashi continued lazily.

"Are you our assigned Jonin?" Sakura spoke up, taking the initiative.

While we couldn't see him smile, the way he shut his one visible eye was more than enough for me.

"Correct. Now, let's find a nice spot to introduce our selves," once again, a hum rolled off his lip. "The roof should do."

And with that, he walked out of the room. The three of us shared a look and gave chase, only to see that he'd disappeared.

Show off.

Anyways, it didn't take very long to get on the roof, and as expected, Kakashi was there waiting for us all. The scene had my heart nearly bursting from nostalgia. It was a world away, but this... this was my childhood.

I took a deal breath and listened as he introduced himself. He wanted everyone to give their likes, dislikes, and aspirations.

"My name is Kakashi Hatake," he began. "I like reading, my dislikes are a secret, and there's nothing much I dream of right now."

He answered softly. I really couldn't recall if that's was what he originally said, but it felt off. Hmm.

"How about you go next-" Kakashi pointed to Naruko.

With a large grin on her face, my best friend did just that.

"Name's Naruko Uzumaki!" she said loudly, though not obnoxiously so. "I like Sasuke, hate assholes and want to be the best ninja I can!"

I nearly bit my tongue at that first part. That definitely caught me off guard and while Sakura's cheeks were slightly red, mine were anything but amused. Of course, I rolled my eyes and did my utmost to take Naruko's satisfaction away.

Even now, she loved getting a rise out of me.

"I see, I see," Kakashi hummed as his one eye hovered over Sakura. "What about you, pinky?"

Sakura blinked and gave a quick, acknowledging nod.

"I like... learning new things," she started slowly. "I don't like people that betray you and I dream of being a good ninja," she said, giving me a subtle sidelong glance near the end.

Kakashi nodded and then all eyes turn to me.

With a soft hum, I gently place Mugetsu on my lap. A bit cliche of a name, but Naruko thought it sounded cool. Sakura didn't seem to think it was all that bad either.

"What I like, huh?" I toss the words around in my mouth.

"Yes," Kakashi answers. "I do believe that's what I asked." he pauses and blinks. "Are you hard of hearing?"

I bite my tongue and keep any comments I might have to myself. This isn't the man I've seen grow and step out of a lonely spiral of guilt and regret. He's very much still the same, bitter man that began that long, difficult journey.

"I guess I like training," I start, eyes dropping to the onyx sword in my grip. Its surface shines like a mirror. How many people will it take before crimson stains muddle its lustrous shine?

"I also like my family and friend," I continue with a small smile. Naruko chuckles and Sakura looks away, a slightly happy expression on her face as I glanced in her direction.

"Meeting new people is also pretty fun."

Kakashi nods, a curious hum on his lip.

"Quite the talkative one, aren't you?"

Oh?

"I guess people have said that I'm good with words," Shikamaru called me charming once. Or was that Choji? And, of course, Jubei never ceases to use me to trick his friends out of fish.

"As for things I hate-" I furrowed my brow and think. "I guess losing people I care about."

Just thinking about anyone hurting them sets my blood alight.

"And not being able to live up to my potential, I guess," I add as an afterthought. With the challenges coming in the future, I'd certainly hate myself for not doing so. Essentially, that means I'll die along with everyone I cared about.

Kakashi gives an acknowledging nod and waits for my final answer.

"My dream, huh?" How many times have I asked myself this? It feels like it changes slightly every time. The core stays the same, but the fringes warp just a tad.

"I want my friends and I to excel at what we want to do." Be that the path of a ninja, writing, or even cooking- I just want them them to be the best that they can be. "Oh, and for them to achieve their dreams."

Everyone has to have dreams. It makes it so much better when the finally pluck them out from the sky.

Kakashi lets loose a thoughtful hum and nods. It seems like he's just about getting ready to say something. However, just then, a mischievous thought suddenly comes to mind.

"I also want to become the strongest ninja and have a big family to spoil!" I finish with a wink at Kakashi.

The veteran ninja simply blinks absent minded for a second and then rolls his one visible eye.

"Right, right." He stands up and reaches into his pockets. Two golden bells clatter in his fingertips. The ringing echoes through the rooftop. It carries an odd, almost soothing tone.

Kakashi stares at the bells, a contemplative expression on his face. Conflicting emotions clash, and as he takes a breath, the bells vanish back into his right pocket.

"Before you become fully-fledged ninja, there is one final test," Kakashi says, eliciting confused looks from my future teammates.

"What?! Another test?!" Naruko groans. "Didn't we have enough of those already?!"

Sakura nods, caution rising onto her face.

"We weren't told about anything like this..." she says slowly. "It wasn't even in our books."

Kakashi shuts his one good eye, almost mimicking a cheerful smile with that. A friendly smile is the last thing I think is on his face right now.

"I wouldn't be much of a secret test if you could easilly find information about it, right?" I suppose that's true. Though, how do they keep students that fail from just telling other people?

Oh. Oh no. I'd like to keep my memories intact, thank you.

"Meet me in training ground three in half an hour or you fail."

He gives us no other warning. He doesn't even wait for any of us to speak before he vanishes in a puff of smoke.

"Hey! Wait!" Naruko shouts. "You can't just leave!"

I was just about ready to try and rally everyone together, but Sakura beats me to the punch.

"I think we should go," she stands up and moves to the roof's edge. "I don't think he was joking."

Naruko reluctantly nods and blows a sigh.

"Like, does anyone know where the third training ground is?"

I smile and raise a hand.

"I do," I'd have to be an idiot not to acquaint myself with such an important place.

"Ok, then let's go there quickly!" Sakura urges nervously.

She doesn't need to say that twice.

----------------

Even running at full force, it takes the three of us about twelve minutes to arrive. That's not counting the small pitstop the three of us had to take because Naruko had to use the washroom. Just to be safe, all three of us did our business so it wouldn't get in the way later.

Had we spent time walking or trying to ask for directions, it would have been much closer. Whatever the case, Kakashi is there, waiting for us.

"That was quick!" he greets the three of us with a small wave. His eyes drop to me, and for a second, it feels like he's peeling me away, one layer at a time. All of that with a simple glance.

I felt naked.

"So, it's quite clear that the three of you are quite good friends," he pauses. "Well, two of you at least."

Sakura's eyes subtly drop.

"Your test is simple-" Kakashi reaches into his left pocket and pulls out a single bell. "Those with a bell pass. The first person to express intention will get this bell and join my team for this test."

What?

Naruko's brow furrows. She looks straight at him and opens her mouth.

"That's-"

"I'll join you!" Sakura shouts almost immediately. She rushes to Kakashi's side

What?!

My eyes go wide, as do Naruko's.

Kakashi smiles. I could feel the smugness in his eye.

"Good," he gently pats Sakura's shoulder and stares back at me and Naruko. Our other friend looks away, shame and guilt on her features.

"The test is simple-" Kakashi holds the bell aloft and gently pins it to Sakura's chest. "-take the bell while I try to protect her."

He pauses.

"If you can't take the bell within four hours, you'll fail." He pauses. "If she can keep the bell safe for those four hours, she passes."

"How are we supposed to beat a Jonin?!" Naruko all but shrieks.

"That's a good question," Kakashi hums and reaches into his poker. Out comes a familiar book. "Let me know when you figure that out."

And just like that, he takes up a protective position in front of Sakura.

Silence. A heavyweight falls over me and Naruko.

This won't be easy...

==================

Sakura turn traitor? I'd like to believe she wouldn't do that.

No. I can't say that for certain. This isn't the loud, smart, thoughtless girl I knew a long time ago. She's different.

Sakura is quiet. She's cunning. And she knows how to use her head as something more than a walking encyclopedia.

She's a ninja.

Whether I think she's actually betrayed me or not, nows not the time to doubt my convictions.

"Sakura!" her name burst from my lips. Beside me, Naruko takes a breath and draws a kunai.

A silent gaze passes between the two of us. My Sharingan blazes to life, though to all the world nothing seems different. She's not a clone. She's not an illusion. This is the real Sakura Haruno. A pit begins to form in my stomach.

And in her eyes, I see the twinkling of intelligence. Whether that's a good or bad thing is something I'll have to figure out.

"I told you my dream!" I roared. "I'm not going to be abandoning you anytime soon!"

Kakashi blows a hum, gently patting the young girl and stepping forward.

"Girls don't like it if you constantly push," he says sweetly and flips a page of the book he's holing up.

Naruko grumbles something under her breath and steps up.

"We'll just kick your ass and take all the bells!" She shouts, weapon outstretched toward the Jonin. "I know you have two more in your other pocket!"

Kakashi lets loose a little laugh.

"Noticed that, did you?" He mumbles and glances toward Naruko. "Perhaps you're not far off from being a proper ninja."

He takes a step forward.

"But I'm here to test that, aren't I?"

He vanishes. No, he moves.

Kakashi Hit roll(??d6): 69!
    Sasuke's Dodge Roll (14d6): 44 Hit!
    +Sasuke takes 10? DMG! | Sasuke takes 1 Injury
    Injury Thresholds: 10/20/30/40

His free hand smashes into my gut like a bullet. The only warning I received was the whistling of the wind and a green blur. The next thing I knew, I've gone flying and smashed into the ground.

"Sasuke!" Naruko shouts.

I roll with the fall, finding myself back on my feet in a second. Smart as she is, Naruko had tried to rush Sakura while Kakashi was distracted. Unfortunately, the Jonin was faster. With a kick to her side, Kakashi sent my friend rolling away.

Through it all, he seemed not to have a care in the world. One thing was certain.

None of us were beating him alone. Even with me and Naruko working together, chances seemed slim.

I took a breath and glance at Naruko. My right finger twitched in a very peculiar way. Understanding flickered in her gaze.

I charged at Kakashi, making sure to peek at Sakura while doing so.

Come on. You're smarter than this.

Naruko comes to match my pace, and as we neared, Chakra gathers in my belly.

Sasuke used Fireball Jutsu
    -20 Chakra [62->42] | 4d6+2 + Soul DMG

Hit Roll(14d6): 54!
    Kakashi Dodge(??d6): 42 *.9 (Numbers Disadvantage) = 37 Hit! | Substitution Jutsu used!

Naruko hit Roll(??d6): 49
    Kakashi Dodge Roll (??d6): 63 *.9 (Numbers Disadvantage) = 56 Dodge!

Two shuriken sail past my shoulders. Naruko sprints forward, assaulting Kakashi with a barrage of kicks and punches that he deflects with a single finger. As she tries to jump away, he lashes out with his right foot, hooking her ankle with his heel. Naruko falls flat on her back and the veteran ninja follows up with a kick to her stomach.

The kick never lands, as my own weapons flash out of my hands. He deflects the kunai, giving Naruko enough time to leap away.

A massive ball of fire bursts from my lip. It burns through the air, searing the grass and earth beneath its path. Naruko is long since gone, though I began firing off the jutsu before she had. A simple plan, but one we practiced before.

The move catches Kakashi off guard. He has but a second to react before the flames consume him. Yet, I knew this wouldn't put him down, let alone scratch him. But that's fine. My goal was to distance him from Sakura.

Naruko jumps over the smouldering crater, landing right in front of sakura. The "traitorous" kunoichi draws her kunai, eyes hardened.

She darts forward, swinging away at Naruko.

My friend clicks her tongue and meets Sakura's swing with one of her own. The moment is lost and Kakashi ceases it. His hand burst from the ground.

"W-Wha?!" Naruko's eyes go wide as another hand erupts from the earth and coils around her ankle.

I curse and send a wave of shuriken at Kakashi. Alas, it's too late. He pulls, burying naruko neck-deep in soil. Or so one might believe. With a puff of smoke, Naruko is replaced by a common log.

Kakashi steps out from behind Sakura, surprising the young girl.

A stalemate. He's obviously holding back, but it's clear that the two of us are good enough to push him somewhat at this level.

As he opens his mouth to speak, I draw Mugetsu and subtly focus chakra into my weapon. Its edge is reinforced and honed.

[Sasuke uses "Sharpen Jutsu" -13 Chakra [42-> 39!]]

"Not bad," Kakashi mumbles. "I suppose I should give you a bit more rope so you can hang yourselves."

He mumbles and takes a breath. The book he's been reading up till now slides back into his pouch.

"You work well together... but how long can you keep that up?"

His hands blitz through a number of hand signs. Even with my Sharingan, it's all a blur!

"Let's see how you deal with this."

A wave of nausea hits us like a truck. A genjutsu, but not one I really need my Sharingan to see through. Vomit bursts from my lips, staining the ground a darker shade of green.

"R-Release..."

I whimpered, performing the countermeasures taught to us by our school. The feeling of unease and vertigo fades, but the vomit does not.

Unlike me, Naruko doesn't figure it out right away. The second my words reach her ears, however, she follows suit.

The distraction is an opportunity Kakashi doesn't let slip. He's at my side in an instant, fingers slamming into my neck. In a second, he's picked me up and thrown me away like one would a garbage bag.

"Let's take care of your friend first," he says cheerfully. "Don't worry, I'll be back once I'm done."

And like that, he turns his back to me. An instant later, he's next to Sakura, stoping Naruko's attempt to capture her.

What's the game plan here, Sakura?! Did she really-

Our eyes meet. As I gaze deep inside, I see determination. She glances toward Kakashi and then back to me. Once more, she mouths.

There's a great distance between me and them. I'd have to burn a lot of Chakra to close in before he advances on Naruko.

It's a gamble. Should Sakura's true plan be to abandon the two of us, then there'll be no way to turn things around.

A gamble.

A risk.

A chance.

Do I trust Sakura? That is the question that will decide my fate.

As the pink-haired girl desperately stares into my eyes, as if trying to tell you something- I make my choice.

The two of us haven't been that close. Most might call us "friends" but at best we're very good acquaintances. Though, I still consider her a "friend." Not the type of friend one knows a lot about, but someone I can still put some trust into.

And this is that moment.

This is Sakura's time to shine. I have no idea what she's planing or how she's going to do it, but that doesn't matter. What does matter is that I can't beat Kakashi alone. Even with the three of us, the battle's outcome is a foregone conclusion.

Yet, this obviously isn't just a test of might. It never was... was it?

I take a breath and rush forward, putting everything I could into my legs. Chakra coils around my muscles, compressing like a spring. It's the simplest of techniques and one used by all ninja to leap great heights.

That's all it is- a simple technique.

Yet, even a branch can be shaped into a deadly weapon with the right mindset.

I grit my teeth, nearly biting my tongue off as the full force of my movements crashes into me. My lungs and stomach slam into my back and air smashes into my face. The ground I stood upon bursts and peppers everything behind me in loose rocks and a small bit of dirt.

I explode from my spot, rushing forward like a missile.

[-35 Chakra (42 -> 7)]

Everything blurs, yet Kakashi's form explodes into view. Where once he was as small as a mouse, now he stands right in front of me.

His one good eye widens, even as I lash out with Mugetsu. It takes all my strength just to lift the previously light weapon. Its as if the air itself is a prison chaining me down. Even the simplest of movements feel like an insurmountable mountain. Nevertheless, I persevere.

By sheer force of will and a lot of luck, I manage to tilt my body enough to perform a simple swing. Mugetsu slices through the air; a loud crack echoing a second after as it cuts through sound itself.

Hit Roll(14d6): 54!
    Kakashi Dodge(??d6): 50 = Hit! | Kakashi uses Substitution!

My blade catches flesh. It burrows deep into Kakashi's side, tearing through cloth like butter. Yet, the surge of chakra and puff of smoke spoil my hopes. My sword cleanly slices through a log, not the body of our teacher.

Though, admittedly, that's for the best.

The speed I carried is not kind to me. I barrel forward, tumbling to the ground and digging my foot in the dirt. The sudden stop is far more jarring than I expected and has my head smashing into the ground. I bounced once, twice, and then finally digged my fingers into the earth. A second later, I'm back on my feet and standing next to Naruko.

All things considered, I did rather well and only got a tiny nosebleed.

Naruko is back on her feet a second later and takes a position next to me.

"Quite the daring rescue," Kakashi says with an amused tone. "It might have caught a lesser ninja off guard." He hum, eyes still on the two of us as Sakura hurries to his side.

"Could have even killed a few that underestimate you with that."

Advice? A distraction? Whatever the case, he had ample opportunity to "finish" both me and Naruko off right then.

"Guess you didn't underestimate us then, huh?!" Naruko shouts back, eyes momentarily glancing toward me. She steps just a tad closer.

"No," Kakashi answers. "I didn't." His one eye slowly hovers toward my own. He furrows his brow and lets loose a query hum.

"An Uchiha without his Sharingan, yet one that moves as if he-" Kakashi stops and blinks. "Curious."

What the hell is he going on about? Is he just talking to waste time now or-

"I suppose It's time to end this."

I blink and he's upon us.

A heel smashes into my stomach, pushing me down to the ground. Kakashi pins me in place, easilly grabbing Naruko's arm as she swings. With a clean twist of his body, he slams Naruko to the ground right next to me. Metal flashes from his holster and twin Kunai find themselves pressed against both of our necks.

"And you lose," he says cheerily. "Though, can't exactly have a team with only one person," Kakashi mumbles.

"Tell you what, how about you two fight and the winner gets a bell?"

What?

His eye shuts, forming an odd little "smile" as it does so.

"I think it's quite generous, you know?" We just stare at the man's audacity. "Fight each other and the last one standing passes."

"No way am I doing that!" Naruko growls. "I'll kick your ass!"

Kakashi chuckles and shakes his head.

"What about you, Sasuke?" He raises his hand away from my neck and reaches for his pocket. "I'll give you this-"

Only the sound of flesh hitting cloth can be heard. Once again, he pats down his pocket, brow furrowing in confusion. The moment he figures out that there's nothing there, he reaches for his other pocket and finds much the same.

A sigh bursts from his lip.

"Clever girl," He mumbles, releases the two of us and turns to Sakura. "How exactly did you do that?"

Sakura stands a ways away. A large, grin splitting her face.

"I wouldn't make a good ninja if I told you, would I?" she shouts, holding up three golden bells. "I'll be giving two of these to Sasuke and Naruko, so that means we all pass, right?"

How did she get those bells? You didn't see anything either!

The clearing stands silent. Then, slowly but surely, a laugh rubles through the area.

"Well done," Kakashi puts away his kunai, and soon, his clapping ripples through the air. "You three pass!"

"Hell yeah!" Naruko roars, helping me up.

I smile and nod at Sakura, who quickly rejoins the two of us. Bells exchange hands and "Team 7" is born anew.

"No, but seriously, how did you do that?" Kakashi eventually asks again just before we part ways.

"Well, since you're our teacher now-" Sakura wiggles her fingers. I immediately have my Sharingan looking for anything strange. I can just barely make out tiny strands of hairs on Sakura's fingers that are flowing with her chakra. She uses these hairs like a muscle, lifting up her new, shiny bell.

"Can't really lift anything much heavier than that..."

That's amazing! How much control would it take to keep the hair from snapping, let alone using it to lift something?

She's just as scary as Naruko when it comes to potential...

"Very clever," Kakashi responds. I could just feel the grin on his lip. "I foresee great things..."

And with that, we part ways- not as strangers, but as a team.

The future ahead of us would not be easy. But I will try my hardest to make it a bright one.

Prologue End!

==================
    Mugetsu: An "exotic" straight sword that's uncommon in the hands of ninja. Its edge is sharp and untested, but you can see the great potential it holds.
    +Adds Dex (10) or STR (10) to hit rolls (Highest)
    +Base DMG: 55
    +DMG Mod: 1.9
    Straight Sword Damage: [74] = +19 (Dex/STR x DMG Mod [x1.9] + 55 (Mugetsu Base DMG)

Please leave a comment and like if you enjoy the story

23. Fellgar

Fellgar Connoisseur.

So how you are viewed by the others can't be improved in this way at all?

!Renzie0 likes this.
  24. Leekz01

Leekz01 Well worn.

Shrug's~ its possible. But I wasn't thinking about that at the time. Remember this is a quest and lostghost is the writer. I just Choose options that benefit my survival most of the time. I had put some skill points into my sword skill a while ago, but had no sword. So it seemed like a perfect opportunity to obtain one at the time.

Fellgar likes this.
  25. Fellgar

Fellgar Connoisseur.

Speaking of the character sheet. What is it at this point?

26. Threadmarks: Interlude: The Sage Of Six Paths, Hagoromo Ōtsutsuki
    Leekz01

Leekz01 Well worn.

The smallest of ripples can have the largest of changes. What was once a tiny wave can build, grow, and devour fate itself. Indeed, even your path was once unknown, inconsequential. You could have lived as the prince of a mindless kingdom. Yet... you and your brother chose another path. A better path.

Thus, your tiny ripples exploded into a massive crescendo that swallowed your mother whole. The waves did not stop there, however. They continued to rise, changing the world itself. You travelled the land, met a number of interesting individuals, found a wife that would eventually birth two kids and later on, you had another set of "children."

You won't forget those that came after. The nine. As much of your family as any other.

Alas, even you could not control the rippling waves that eventually surged into a raging whirlpool. You dreamed of a world engulfed in peace. The world, however, did not make that easy.

Oh, Indra... I'm sorry...

Even though your body and soul were spread over the world as you died, you could feel all that transpired. Of the treachery, of the violence, of the war.

The world was consumed by hatred, yet you knew things would change. Surrounded by nothingness- feeling nothing and being nothing you blissfully recalled your life. Even as time stretched out to infinity, you question if there was anything else you could have done. Your mother was mad- a truly alien mind. Your words did not reach her, as much as you wished that they did.

How much different could things have turned out if she simply listened?

Even after all this time, can you say that you love her?

Heh. Is there even a need to ask?

Your soul breathes in, soaking in the world's ethereal winds. The cycle goes on. You left everything to your sons and their souls continue to hold the banner. Even after what happened, you can't help but smile at that. Smile? Ah... how you miss that. It's the little things that truly get to you.

At times you feel despair's wretched fingers coiling around your ankle, you remember all that came before. This state of half existence isn't so bad. The world moves on and you move with it. Perhaps one day you'll be able to scrounge up what remains of your existence and manage to speak to those below.

Yes.

That'd be just grand...

A nudge, followed by a knock. Something scrapes against the boundaries between your world and... well, you can't quite describe it. Not the realm of the dead, but something else.

The gentle knocking erupts into harsh strikes. Cracks begin to weave themselves into the very fabric of existence.

Each strike carries more power. One. Two. Three. And then, on the fourth, the walls shatter like a common window.

A single, minuscule light slips through the world's oozing wound. It whizzes past you and falls to the world below, forming tiny ripples as it drops.

Though the gaping hole in space, you see a massive, golden eye. It follows the glittering light until it finally flickers and fades. Then, the eye turns its attention on you.

Oh...

Primordial fear shakes your very soul. You stare into the eye, finding naught but your own reflection.

Hollow.

How long do you lock gazes with the creature? A few seconds? A few hours? An eternity? You know not, but the entirety of your being is focused on it. Should you look away, you fear there will be nothing left. You will be swallowed whole.

Wait... nothing? You are nothing. How could nothing be le-

The wounded walls slowly sow themselves shut. You refuse to look away. Even as the walls close in around the eye, shunting it out of your world- you refuse.

Don't look away. Never look away.

And then, all is still. All is normal.

Truly... you have the worst of luck when it comes to alien intelligence. Eventually, the fear fades and you gaze down at the world.

Ripples become waves. Waves become a storm. And the raging storm of change moves the world.

"Oh? Curious..."

Truly... interesting...

27. Iridesce

Iridesce Versed in the lewd.

28. Marix Reaver

Marix Reaver All the dragons shall be lewded!

Shinigami? Some random god? Eldritch monster thingy? Does this mean that Asura isn't reborn as Naruko? Or is this before she was born? Or this whole scene was in her mindscape? So many questions.

!Renzie0 likes this.
  29. Leekz01

Leekz01 Well worn.

This interlude is how our reincarnated protagonist arrived in this reality. Basically to show that his appearance will start as a ripple but evolve into a storm. Prologue is over with the true game begins now.

!Renzie0, Grimmouse197 and Hadrian810 like this.
  30. Fellgar

Fellgar Connoisseur.

So is lostghost from a different website?

!Renzie0 likes this.