1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Recruitment, Paul’s favourite activity.

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I remember reading it somewhere, I think TV Tropes, that that was the intention for Darkseid, but I'm not a 100% sure.

I think he was mugged because he was depowered, not because he was philosophically interested.

That or that whole thing about him needing people to fear him to be able to beat them, and since they had no idea who he was they overpowerd him.

Assuming the War of Light happens at any rate, and that Alan dies.

It is possible that someone can make another blue ring for Kori.

And even if Kori is a young adult here that doesn't necessarily mean that she and Alan will get together.

Even if she's in her early twenties Alan would still be four times her age and that may not be something he is comfortable with.

Also they may not have many things in common, aside from both being Lanterns and being very hopeful people.

And even if they did have a lot of similarities that could just mean that they become friends.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    ChestBurster, Doccer and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Politicians being corrupt?

Say it ain't so.

It's probably smart to do those things on Qward.

Or she didn't get them.

Or just him getting used to his improved abilities.

Wouldn't you?

Or a lot of willpower

Me thinks that those that can't take a ripped off arm don't make it far in Qwardian schools.

Xmaster3000 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  4. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I know this Questionable Questing and all but are you sure this chapter doesn't belong in your Eros fic? Or were you thinking about a kancolle fic?

5. kayangelus

kayangelus Flame Wizard

Actually, the word cum can be used as a preposition. So "battle station cum shipyard" could refer to a location that acts as both a battle station and a shipyard. Nothing kinky here, just English being itself.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Where the heck did I get that from, then?

7. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Will fucking detected.

ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.
  8. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I get the sense that Kalmin's teaching style is a lot like Archmage Xvim. Not only must you be able to manipulate qwa energy proficiently, you should be able to do it while you are hanging upside-down from the monkey bars with one foot and balancing a banana on the other, plus you're being pelted with knives, and still be good enough to form a bolt in each hand simultaneously.

9. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Where there’s a will, there’s a hole.

ChestBurster likes this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think you're placing too much stock on that whole 'New Gods are philosophers' thing, when in the comics that wasn't really the case, at least not most of the time.

I read the comic again and before he was mugged he was wondering how his depowered state would affect his compassion, but that was it.

He didn't let himself be mugged to test a theory, he couldn't stop them from mugging him.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

So apparently all those times I pointed out that the New Gods have been hyped up again and again (especially Darkseid) to make Darkseid seem like a credible threat after his tenth billionth defeat because DC refuses to let the character that Kirby intended to kill off permanently in 1985 stop making them money, Zoat apparently thought I was a crazy ranting person.

Good to know. lol.

Would you folks like to know the very first plotline Kirby wrote that included Darkseid?

He showed up in the Jimmy Olsen comic trying to kill Superman by having his pet geneticists throw a big green Hulkified clone of Jimmy Olsen at Superman.

So that if it failed, Superman would think it was Cadmus trying to make him eat dirt.

A Lex Luthor plot.

And a far cry from Morrison's version who could destroy the multiverse with his big grey omnipotent penis.

12. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Honestly making Darksied that powerful just makes him seem like less of a threat to me.

Like, you've at least three iterations of the multiverse to do your thing Darksied, why are you still getting your ass kicked by a farm boy with his under ware on the outside? How do you still not have your magic math formula? Why haven't you just said screw it and done that whole "enslave everybody" thing the normal way by now?

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well to be fair said farmboy is ludicrously strong and powerful, math is hard, and there are those who can hinder or even stop his plans for conquest, like the GLC and New Genesis.

ChestBurster, JoTa34 and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Last I knew, Jack Kirby had wanted to do Ragnarok with Thor, killing everyone off and finishing the story.

Marvel said no.

So Kirby went to DC and created the New gods. He wanted to do Ragnarok with Orion, killing everyone off and telling his completed story.

DC said no.

So the King said "Fuck all yall bitch ass hoes" and punched the fabric of reality, and took his place as the One above All.

Or it was a writer that wanted to tell a joke at another character's expense.

Or said writer really doesn't like Thanos, and wanted to take a potshot. Or said writer doesn't like a writer who likes Thanos, and wanted to take a shot.

Kinda like when Spider-man took out the Hulk by hitting him in the head with a car, and then shit-talking him, with all the villains watching going "Well, what else did you think would happen?"

Said writer later admitted that he doesn't know much about the Hulk, but views him as a stupid, childish character. So he wanted to shit on him.

Or that time ol' Garth Ennis had Frank Castle shoot Wolverine in the balls, smack Logan around some, and then run him over with a steam roller while Logan impotently threatens Frank. Because Garth doesn't like Wolverine.

Or how if anyone beats Thanos' ass, the second Jim Starlin gets control back over Thanos, he retcons it. Because he is honest to god pissed off that someone did that to Thanos. "His" character.

During my time as a nobody at Marvel, this was a very common thing that Editorial had to step on. Guys would get into squabbles with one another, and would try to shit on each others books in their own.

Or you had guys who were pissed the fuck off about something that happened with their favorite character 20 plus years ago when they were a kid, and BY GOD where they going to se it right.

15. Mr Zoat

Naturally.

16. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Link?

ChestBurster likes this.
  17. Maxx Crowley

Nothing survives from that time. Kirby Crackle plays hell with electronics.

18. Stsword

19. Maxx Crowley

I want to say DC did a similar tribute.

20. Stsword

He showed up as Kamandi's creator in Kamandi Challenge.

And in a meta Sandman story, the original, not the mopey rockstar, he defended a kid from demons, only for a very Thor/New God looking fellow shows up to help.

The kid in question? Jacob Kurtzberg, and the very ThOrion fellow was someone he dreamed up.

21. Threadmarks: Anti-Thesis (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

11th July 2012
    16:08 GMT

"I'm not-. Varnathon. He's-" Varnathon turns back to the students. "-probably a dozen t-units away by now!"

Different accent, different cadence and different diction. I don't know if he's actually matching the man he looks like but he can't have gotten this far in life without being good at something.

The one-armed woman looks cautiously at me.

"Robot?"

I smile and send my heavy armour into subspace, replacing it with construct armour.

"Surprise! I-."

One of the students reflexively shoots me.

"You know, I can see why you were assigned to medical experimentation."

The student next to him swivels on his heel and punches him in the face, knocking him to the deck.

"Thank you. So, Varnathon, are you willing to accept that I can scan you through whatever disguise you're wearing, or do I have to stab and electrocute you until I work out how to turn it off?"

One-arm q'ardajin frowns.

"He's probably using a simple mass diffractor. A relatively small-."

"Stab and electrocute, because it's not always about efficiency."

"You're the Orange Lantern who-? I thought you'd kill him!"

He reaches up and touches his forehead, the disguise evaporating a moment later.

"Why didn't you kill him!? You had a perfect opportunity!"

"I wanted his skills."

"Do you have any idea how many people he's killed?!"

"An entire planet driven mad with fear for Sinestro's ring alone."

"That's the least of it! Two species went extinct when he tested out the antithesis ring delivery system alone! He hunted down and vivisected dozens of Green Lanterns, then tortured them to death to try and work out how their connections to their rings worked!"

I nod.

"Do you have their names? It would help with their record-keeping."

"You don't..? Care?"

"The fact that Kalmin's evil isn't exactly news to me. I'm a little surprised that you're so exercised about it, though."

"You're working with a man who genuinely wants to destroy all reality!"

"Yes?"

"Why?!"

"I really need someone with his skill set. And there's only so much evil he can do when we're watching him so closely."

"I thought I was watching him, then you and the ginger-haired Green Lantern turned up!"

"Look, are you going somewhere with this?"

"I've been reforming q'ardajin society! The Council of Commanders are stupefied into indolence, the Thunderers reduced to menacing the few aliens who actually come here and the remaining Weaponers building for export! This is the least destructive Qward has ever been!"

"That's-. You're actually trying to make Qward less evil?"

"I understand your scepticism, but yes!"

One-arm points her gun at his head. "Explain yourself."

"We're a species governed by mad scientists! I'm in the process of changing our culture so that we'll become a normal empire, conquering people to exploit their resources and to swell our egos, not out of a sense of obligation to a god who quite literally wants to kill us!" He glares at me. "Why are you even here!?"

"You're trading with the Reach."

"Probably? Who are-? The ones with no noses and beetle-themed elite soldiers?"

"Yes. You sold them qwa-matter."

"For which they paid extremely well. Access to their supply chains and distribution networks will enrich Qward without giving them anything radically different to the weapons they already deploy."

"Are you aware that they're fighting the Orange Lantern Corps?"

He stares at me for a few moments.

"Oh eat my marrow."

"Why were we selected for medical experimentation?"

"Because to change the q'ardajin I need to be able to control them. I need at least one generation of Weaponers to not try and overthrow the existing order. I need stability."

"We learned all the lessons we were taught, we did all we were asked, and you decided that you couldn't use us."

"Yes, but that doesn't matter now! You, Lantern, you could take them. Take them back to your universe with you, and I'll continue to change Qward. I'll even agree not to sell to anyone in the matter universe. Grant me isolation and I'll make a Qward that has forgotten both you and the Anti-Monitor!"

Ah, man. I don't like deliberately making a society worse, but this is Qward we're talking about. And he's right; I could drop a group of young q'ardajin off with Dox's Research and Development people… Heck, I could probably talk Dr. Sivana into taking them on as graduate students. Amalak would take them. He's probably got plenty of opportunities for ruthless, self-motivated young people with no next of kin.

"Alright lads and lasses. How would you feel about working away from home?"

One arm lowers her gun slightly.

"Not excited, but it's better than medical experimentation."

"That's a positive attitude if ever I heard one. Varnathon, I need to verify your story. You're wearing something that shields you against mental intrusion. Please remove it."

He touches his forehead cybergraft and… Ah, there we go. I can see him.

Why are these idiots always tearing everything down? Don't they see how much stronger we could be if we used our resources more efficiently?

O-oh. It's like looking at myself. And not just because I'm feeling what he's feeling. He sees the same potential in Qward that I see in Earth: not just serving an uncaring god but building a mighty empire across the stars.

[​IMG]

But it's just not in my interests to let him.

I stick a construct muzzle over his face.

"Kalmin, come to my location. We have him."

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  22. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

It's because he's a multiversal threat. You think Tom from the grocery store on that corner street gets accosted by spandex underwear men when he's doing his thing day-in-day-out? Of course not!

ChestBurster, mauke, Relyt33 and 6 others like this.
  23. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

hunted

Also, damn. I kinda like Varny now, and now he's going to die. I love that realisation though, that he fucked himself by selling to OLs enemy.

24. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

UGHHHHH Here we go. PAul whyyy???? Why can't you get along with your Qward/Antimatter self??????

25. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

What exactly is Kalmin doing for OL again? Cause this seems like a really dumb move in the long and short term.

26. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

'hunted' I think.

ChestBurster and moralrelativity like this.
  27. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

what a shame. i think varny would make a better ally than kalmin. also is qward the only planet in the anti-matter verse?

28. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Sounding more and more like just backstabbing Kalmin and cooperating with Varnathon would be the best bet for everyone

29. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

can you elaborate more on this? what are the interests that would be unsatisfied if he is left alive?

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'different'

Surprises are overrated.

He makes an excellent point as to why working with Kalmin is really, really weird and wrong.

If he tortured and killed them later then it should be 'vivisected'

Yes, he really is.

Good question.

So it's still going to be an empire of assholes, just not omnicidal ones.

'glares'

It would be a true accomplishment if you managed to make it worse.

Well if you're trying to reform them then maybe keep them away from him.

'same'

Okay, so you aren't going to help him, but helping Kalmin is also going to end up screwing you.