1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I thought he specifically saved the perfected version for Poseidonis so that the elite could look no different while everyone would have inferior versions. I think Zoat said that somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

ChestBurster, Darko and Relyt33 like this.
  2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

No. Or rather not quite.

So he provided the inferior version that resulted in the animal people of Atlantis.

Except for the Hawaiian Shark People.

ChestBurster and Ngamer11 like this.
  3. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

There is some things you only get with practice after all. You can't teach ingrained reflexes only train to get them.

Even Spiderman took years of practice to get a good fighting style and he has a power that warns him of danger. Then he had to train how to fight without said danger sense because enemies keep messing with it, blocking it and so on.

Relyt33 and MechaNova like this.
  4. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Who was Blake again?

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Captain Comet, hero of Tamaran.

6. Lone Courier 6

Lone Courier 6 Wanderer of threads

Not to mention that Black Manta has a...Special drive that you won’t find in a normal man, take the right measures to redirect it...The difference between two equally skilled and conditioned fighters in a fight? It’ll come down to their mentality and Black Manta has one that Grayven can use.

7. nogoodnames

nogoodnames Getting out there.

[​IMG]

A simple orange lantern pyrography fanart I made because I like this story.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

For one horrifying moment I thought it was another tattoo.

9. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Excuse me, “another”!?

10. Mr Zoat

You're excused.

11. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Can I use the washroom, Mr Dad?

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Someone tattooed the Orange Lantern symbol on their hand because they're a fan of this fic.

13. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

largesse

Allies'

Too late.

14. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think 'mugged' is being used in a way I have never heard of before.

15. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Mug - verb

informal

Make faces, especially silly or exaggerated ones, before an audience or a camera.
    "he mugged for the camera"

16. ABZB

ABZB Making the rounds.

• Up to the Blue Lantern/Paragon crossover arc in my reread. No sleep, only read.
    • The first time I read this, I did not follow all the links (a bunch of them are broken now, mostly random images, I think), which I regret - like, those songs OL sings the first time in Themyscira are amazing. The Sun is Also a Warrior caught my ear to the point that I actually payed for its .mp3, to add to my workout and car playlists :)
    • I think the last thing I vaguely remember is OL doing something with the Tamaraneans? I'm not entirely sure, because there's at least two other Lantern fics getting blurred into that memory, so yeah.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  17. Mr Zoat

Main SI:
    01 – Superman
    02 – Batman
    03 – Wonder Woman
    04 – Flash (Barry Allen)
    05 – Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
    06 – Aquaman
    07 – Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onzz)
    08 – Green Arrow
    09 – Hawkman
    10 – Hawkwoman
    11 – Zatara
    12 – Captain Atom (Major Nathaniel Adams)
    13 – Black Canary
    14 – Green Lantern (John Stewart)
    15 – Captain Marvel (William Batson)
    16 – Red Tornado (John Smith)
    17 – Green Lantern (Guy Gardner)
    18 - Icon (Augustus Freeman)
    19 - Red Arrow (William Harper)
    20 - Accomplished Perfect Physician (Yao Fei)
    21 – Doctor Fate (Nabu) (John Quinn)
    22 – Atom (Raymond Palmer)
    23 – Plastic Man (Patrick O'Brian)
    24 - Blue Lantern (Alan Scott)
    25 - Doctor Mist (Nommo Balewa)
    26 - Red Rocket (Dmitri Pushkin)
    27 – Angelica (Angelica Blaze)

Renegade:
    01 – Superman
    02 – Batman
    03 – Wonder Woman
    04 – Flash
    05 – Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
    06 – Aquaman
    07 – Martian Manhunter
    08 – Green Arrow
    09 – Hawkman
    10 – Hawkwoman
    11 – Zatara
    12 – Captain Atom
    13 – Black Canary
    14 – Green Lantern (John Stewart)
    15 – Captain Marvel
    16 – Red Tornado
    17 – Atom
    18 – Plastic Man
    19 – Icon
    20 – Red Arrow
    21 - Mister Miracle (Scott Free)
    22 - Big Barda
    23 - The Shade (Richard Swift)
    24 - Captain Comet (Adam Blake)
    25 – Green Lantern (Guy Gardner)
    His telepathy is appreciably weaker.
    Thank you, corrected.

18. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Wow. I'll admit, I picked up one of those plastic orange lantern rings because of this fic, but that was like, a dollar or two. It sits on one arm of a cast iron squirrel statue (the other arm has a Legion flight ring). Getting a tattoo is... Really something else.

19. ABZB

ABZB Making the rounds.

34:19 I know this is literally years out of date, but "not my monotheism, thank you very much", lol

20. Threadmarks: The Other Half (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

12th July 2012
    09:56 GMT -5

Artemis hangs back slightly as Kaldur and Ixy conduct a tour of the facility.

"When are you gunna tell him?"

The drawback to being on the same wavelength as someone-.

"It's not a drawback. Ass."

I look down at her, slightly puzzled. Did-? She just-?

She rolls her eyes before looking up at me. "It's obvious. You got Black Manta pardoned. I know how people like him think. The first thing he's going to want to do is get his son back, and right after that-." Her eyes return to Mr. Durham. "I guess he can't kill the people he thinks wronged him, but he's gunna want to confront them."

"He does indeed. I haven't said anything because I don't want Mister Durham to feel like I'm pressuring him."

"Think that ship's sailed. I think you're just doing what you think-."

"Think I need to so I can tell myself I didn't pressure him." I smile fondly at her. "We can't ever do this around Luna."

"You wanna know what I think?"

"Staying above the fray wasn't an option. David Hyde has wanted to be Kaldur's father since he fathered him."

"Some people shouldn't be fathers."

True, but I can't say he'd be objectively bad. Any number of professional killers throughout history have had perfectly pleasant relationships with their offspring.

"How's Paula?"

"How's Jade?"

I shrug. "Her line manager's reports are glowing. The area she's assigned to is less dangerous month on month, in part due to her presence and actions. Genomorphs are good at keeping the peace but complex investigations aren't their forte."

"You aren't talking to her in person?"

"No. I'm not angry any more-"

"Well, yeah."

"-but.. I.. tend to think that we won't work… Well together. I mean, if we couldn't even communicate well.. enough… When we were together…"

Artemis nods. "I think she's dating someone."

I shrug. "That's hardly my affair any longer."

"Not Jade. My Mom."

"Oh? Not a complete surprise, I hope?"

"No. Why exactly did you make her look that young when you healed her?"

"Your mum's hot."

She smiles faintly.

"Speaking of things you shouldn't say around Luna…"

"Eh, Luna knows that I'm not interested in her for her physical appearance. And I've got a rough idea of what she'll look like when she comes through the mirror and I think I'll like it well enough. Do you have a problem with your mum dating?"

"Dating, no. Putting on a costume and fighting crime… Guess-"

"It beats committing it." / "-it beats… Yeah."

Bit of a surprise that she's interested in that sort of thing, but I suppose that when someone internalises the us versus them mindset then even if they switch sides they want to be them as hard as they can.

"Do you want me to offer her a job to keep her off the streets? I'm sure I can find something for a woman of her experience."

"Not going to offer to help find out who she's-." She narrows her eyes. "Do you know?"

"Artemis, you're over a hundred years old. If you want to know who your mother's dating-."

"Yeah, but-. Teenaged me wouldn't."

"Parents have to deal with their children growing up eventually. In your case-."

"I grew up when Mom was in prison. I know we were never going to have a normal family life or anything like that, but I wanna… Pretend a bit. For her. And for me."

"I'm the last person who would-."

Kaldur tenses, then breathes in deeply before letting his exhalation carry away his tension. Mr. Durham glances my way and says something I make an effort not to listen to, placing his right hand on his son's right shoulder. Kaldur nods and briefly puts his own right hand on top of his father's. Then he heads my way.

"Who would gainsay your decision on that subject. Kaldur!"

He walks towards me, his normal impassivity just about hanging in there.

"Grayven. What made you think that I would be interested in meeting Black Manta in a social setting?"

"The fact that I thought you'd probably be willing to put up with him once to help out your parents?" I shrug. "I don't think there's going to be any sort of meeting of minds or anything like that. I've already told him that I think it's a bad idea."

"You could simply have handed him over to Atlantis as a captured criminal."

"Kaldur, where exactly on Earth do you think I'm going to find crews for the EDF ships Lex is building?"

He pauses for a moment. "Any of the world's militaries would be able to provide you with trained personnel."

I shake my head. "Not trained for space combat. Underwater combat comes closest, but the pressure and inertia make it completely different. Same for aeroplanes and voidcraft. The skill sets aren't easily transferable. So we've got a choice between taking military people and beating the bad habits out of them or training new people in doctrines we haven't invented yet. If you ever want a good laugh I'll show you the low gravity training sessions we ran for some of N.A.T.O.'s special forces units. The skills aren't there."

"Except in Atlantis."

"Nope. Too much magic, not enough technology, and your war engines are all organic. David Hyde's people are trained for sub-aquatic, aquatic and aerial combat. They have the skills that other people simply don't. Earth needs them, and King Orin wouldn't have pardoned him if he didn't agree with me. And your part in Earth getting them involves letting him bitterly lament not being the man who raised you and then telling him to never darken your door again. I'm sure you'll survive. Though for what it's worth I'm sorry for putting you in this position."

Kaldur bows his head, half-closing his eyes for a moment.

"He has not been pardoned by the government of the United States of America."

"My home's an Apokoliptian embassy. So while no one other than me can arrest him, I could let you settle your differences through bare-knuckle boxing."

He-.

"That wasn't a serious suggestion, Kaldur."

If only because Apokoliptian duels are supposed to be handicapped affairs. Given Kaldur's enhanced physiology I'd have to give his father a weapon or two.

"Very well. I will accept the meeting. But… I would like more information on Luthor's recruitment strategy."

I nod. "No problem. Heck, if you can find-"

"Recognized, Zatara, one one, The Shade, two three."

We turn as the League members emerge, Giovanni giving me a nod and Richard tipping his hat.

"-someone better, I'll consider them."

Giovanni approaches, noting Mr. Durham's presence.

"Aqualad. I have a task for the team."

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

True.

Think it's a bit too late for that.

Yep.

One factor that may have contributed to said relationships being so pleasant is the fact that most of those killers did not try to kill their offspring, said offsprings friends, their mentors, or destroy their home, multiple times.

All of which Manta has done or tried to do.

And to be fair, most people, even adults, may not want to know anything about the romantic or sexual aspects of their parents' lives.

He's pissed.

Or just annoyed.

I think that's an attitude most people that personally know renegade have when they see him.

Not gonna try and bring up the points I and others made.

Zoat isn't going to change his mind on this no matter what.

Kinda difficult to tell with you Big G.

Hmm, either he's interested in joining so he can send info to the League, or just wants to know what to expect in the future, such as any other criminals renegade may try to recruit.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  22. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Oh, I wonder if Grayven will tag along. Would be good to see his interactions with the rest of the team.

Also, great to see him with Artemis again.

23. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

why would you be horrified that someone loves your work so much that they would get a tattoo based on it? and did they post a pic?

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may be creepeed out that someone would do that.

What one person finds flattering another may find disturbing.

[​IMG]

https://imgur.com/a/MiMjR3E

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe.

Zoat said renegade will meet Arion, so maybe this is how he does that.

26. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I’ve forgotten what it looked like... was it a picture of Paragon-Paul with his tattoos on display? Possibly with his face replaced by your avatar?
    Because that fanart has stuck to me from two forums ago and I want other people to get a kick out of it.
    (searching...no... searching, no... not this one... please hold)
    Better, here is some art.

Bonus art.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

[​IMG]

https://imgur.com/a/MiMjR3E

Ardy and ChestBurster like this.
  28. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm sorry, what?

29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Artemis having such insight into Grayven is a fascinating dynamic. With the potential to become hilarious if she calls him out on any bullshit publically.

Actually, I forgot. Is Motherbox still acting as his consciouss? If not, Artemis could play that role.

Also also: is Grayven gonne visit New Genesis at some point?

30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh, her bond with Grayven giving her unique perceptiveness into his motives.Still, I hope she's had some luck with separating herself from his distinct character. I doubt she wants to be stuck as half of a Platonic Life-Partnership...

Oh, great, now she's a mind-reader too? :rolleyes:

A remarkably succinct summation of Manta's goals. Nice how she can sum up in two sentences what Grayven took about an hour or so to explain to Cal.

Man, he has just ruined all other men for her, hasn't he? Not that she seems to have shown any interest in human men since she got back... Then again, her classmates are, well, teenagers. And older men won't want to take that trip.

Honestly, I think Luna would understand their bond. It's practically what she had with Celestia once. It might hurt to see Grayven involved that way, but she's no stranger to emotional pain, either... :(

Indeed. Whether by neglect, stupidity or maliciousness, a bad father can do a lot to mess up their children. That goes for bad mothers too, of course...

Oof, right for the Ex? Cruel, Artemis, cruel.

That's right, she's involved in the Earth Fleet security, isn't she? Good to see she's keeping to the straight and narrow...

Which is all the more amusing given the Paragon's bond to her, and her to him.

Not what she was talking about, methinks, but you are right.

As long as it isn't, I don't know, Icicle or someone, I'm sure it's fine.

And once again, we're reminded that at heart, he's still a Paul.

Nah, Luna's well aware men have wandering eyes. I don't know if the Herd mentality of one stallion, many females happens all that often in modern Equestria, but it is still a part of their history.

Indeed, the sheer amount of fanart of humanised Ponies is staggering. And even with an 'official' humanoid appearance as seen in Equestria Girls, Luna is still a popular choice for it.

The lady's love life is her business, certainly. Her 'working' life? Hopefully she's playing nice with the Batfamily...

Working security? Hopefully not in the same facilities as Jade, though, that might be pushing it.

At least you know it isn't him, Artemis. Because that is a thing in at least one YJ Alternate (Common Sense Paul, if I remember right?) Can you imagine the embarrassment of Grayven begin able to say 'I ****ed your mother.' and meaning it...

I suspect Paula still has trouble keeping in mind that her daughter is now technically several centuries her senior, even with the hair color. I can still imagine her saying "You're not so old that I can't kick your ass, honey." When they argue...

That'll take some pretending...

Well, looks like Kaldur's ready to make a decision. The question is, which way will he come down?

Ah, straight to business, eh? Yeah, it does seem a bit of a stretch there, doesn't it, Kal?

And have him executed? That would be a waste of valuable Human Resources. And no Orange Lantern would throw away something that useful so easily.

Right... People with divided loyalties, torn between their country and the suspected super-villain's private space fleet... That would work out so well...

Let me guess, it did not look like the space sequences in Moonraker (which, while lame, were kind-of-decent logical ideas of personal space combat...). More wild bouncing around and flailing limbs?

Brutally honest as usual, Grayven. But I suspect that was just what Kaldur needed to hear... If nothign else, Kaldur knows what such a pardon would involve, both the ritual and the penalties. I suspect he'll be fine with them.

Eh, it's not that hard to avoid the US for most things. He can go anywhere near the ocean, after all. And I suspect Africa is a better recruiting ground for him than America.

I don't know, if you let Manta have a strength-boosting exoskeleton with gauntlets capable of giving Kaldur a solid hit, it might be fair... And it would let Kaldur work out some stress.

Which, to be honest, is practically public knowledge, isn't it? Or will be eventually. After all, once they get the officersand senior staff trained up, the regular personnel will be next.

Really, Zatara's planning on using the Team to look into Young Arion's death?

Well, this is going to be pleasant. So much English charm.

He really is going to have them investigate. Oh, boy, this will end in fire... :confused: No, wait, if Arion the elder is involved, it'll more likely be storms. Underwater storms. Because fucking Magic.

Well, that was fortuitous timing on Zatara's part. Wonder if Grayven and Artemis will be resistant to the perception-block on young Mister Knightly's face. Either way, having his New God mojo along might help break down any spellcraft in their way... Let's see if the Team will allow him to sit in on the mission...