1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

SHINOBI: The RPG - New Game

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Fulcon, Jun 17, 2020.

1. MMMm

MMMm Know what you're doing yet?

He was allowed to graduate despite not being able to do these jutsu. Neji remarks that just because Lee's unique/special, doesn't make it a good thing.

Fulcon, Relyt33 and NightmareWarden like this.
  2. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

Lightning Release Chakra Mode probably has just a bit of Henge to it to partially turn into lighting or something.

Fulcon and Relyt33 like this.
  3. Fulcon

Fulcon Not working on it anymore. Sorry.

Excellent point.

Neither is Neji.

He just got his weights like a week ago.

That is a fantastic question.

One that I don't know how to answer.

EDIT:

Huh.

That's interesting. Do we know why?

You think so?

I dunno, it's wiki page just says 'sheathe body in chakra' but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

4. paloswag

paloswag Know what you're doing yet?

I feel like the side cast are getting fluffed out as their own characters now. In the original, they all seemed to orbit around Daisuke. This version is much better.

IdrisXY, Relyt33 and Fulcon like this.
  5. Fulcon

Thank you very much, I do like me some fluffed out side characters. :D

Have a cookie.

Flutters Is Shy and Relyt33 like this.
  6. aj0413

aj0413 Fluffy~~

Anyone else slightly disturbed by the fact that Anko is showing such interest in Daisuke when he isnt even a late teen yet? Correct me, if I'm wrong, but he's like 13-15 right?

Krazyfan1 and Fulcon like this.
  7. Extras: Informative: Age of Consent in Konoha is Wonky.
    Fulcon

To reiterate what has already been said.

In the elemental nations, legal adult is Genin. Back in feudal japan, which Naruto is heavily based on, people got married and had kids as early as twelve. You won't find this sort of thing in the manga itself, for obvious reasons, but it is logical that it'd be there, especially with the constant wars whittling the global populations down.

In real life, my go two example is Ghandi, who got married at 13. Also in real life, the age of consent around the world fluctuates. In Sweden, for instance, it's fifteen. In Japan, the much more topical area, it's 13. Granted, it's thirteen on the US equivalent of the Federal Level. In the individual prefectures, however, it's different. Tokyo has a limit of 18 but in others, and both of Japan's Territories (Okinatori Islands and Marcus Islands) it's 13. Yeah.

As for real life anecdote, I have heard of a 12 year old having a child in passing. I have not met this girl, but I heard about it from someone I trust.

Disclaimer: I do not condone relationships with minors in real life. My own sisters, who are minors, constantly broadcast through their behavior that they are not ready for any such relationship and any man who comes near them will be summarily executed. This is fiction. Fiction taking inspiration from history, but fiction nonetheless. Relationships with adults are more fun anyway and, if you really need some motivation, there are no laws against having a relationship with a person of adult age whereas a relationship with a minor will get you imprisoned and then murdered.

Thank you for coming to my Ted-talk.

EDIT: My Sauce.

pochez01, Tunak23, anirocks and 14 others like this.
  8. aj0413

aj0413 Fluffy~~

Irony here is that I don't really have issues with whatever depicted in hentai or the more lewd stories on this site; I'm just mentally struggling with *Anko* seeing Daisuke as an equal, in the romantic sense, nevermind the physical attraction.

Like, stories that do it for the lewd, sure, it's not meant to make sense, but since this meant to be more grounded, it doesn't feel natural to me.

As a suggestion: Maybe an Anko interlude would help here? Something to give us insight to what she sees and thinks when she interacts with him? Feels like this would help me a lot as a reader, in this particular story.

Edit:
    This whole time I've been semi-convinced she's playing a role to get the village his bloodline :/ Which *would* make sense to me and feel right at home for character and setting

asparagus, bluepencil, llat-2 and 3 others like this.
  9. Fulcon

An Anko interlude was already planned. I'm thinking at the end of this arc since we'll be spending the next ? number of chapters away from her and give readers time to cleanse their palate.

What I'm trying to say is that this is a great idea and I've already been working to implement it.

Have a cookie. :)

I mean, given the setting it would make sense, but not for Konoha (unless we're talking about ROOT). Iwa, maybe. Kumo definitely.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Flutters Is Shy, Danga and aj0413 like this.
  10. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

Since I think there's a scene where Gai was looking at academy students training, I think the only way Lee could have of actually graduating without passing the Ninjutsu portion of the exam is that if Gai himself vouched for him and was willing to take him as a student.

I mean, if a potential genin has to go back to the academy if a Jounin teacher says their are not ready, then maybe the opposide is also true.

aj0413, MMMm and Fulcon like this.
  11. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

Almost certainly accurate. During Lee's introduction/early interaction we see that he was having immense trouble in his classes, and was verbally bullied by the other children. Gai saw the resulting crazy, desperate workout later that night from the stealth of the surrounding bushes. He mused on just how crazy the workout was, and thought he could make something of the kid.

And the workout was crazy for someone not being prompted by a taijutsu maniac. Also puts logical backing behind Lee's insane desperation. He didn't graduate, and then have Gai take a shine to him. He graduated, BECAUSE Gai took a shine to him, and he KNOWS it. Lee who never meets Gai never gets out of academy unless he quits to find civilian work.

Also I think Gai would be overjoyed about Lee branching out. The best teachers don't want to be emulated. They want to be surpassed.

12. Fulcon

So, let's talk about Lee and the Gentlefist.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what Lee stands to gain from Gentle Fist. Bearing in mind that one of his signature techniques involves tying someone up in his bandages and pile-driving them into the ground, he has rudimentary Chakra-shaping ability, but not refined enough to use any form of Jutsu. With that in mind, I think Lee could, eventually, learn Neji's Eight Trigrams Palms Revolving Heaven should he actually gain access to the technique.

Which means that, in lieu of shutting an opponent down, Lee is mostly going to gain the ability to counter Ninjutsu, a hilarious and extremely appropriate ability for him to have (I can't use Ninjutsu and that means neither can you!).

Anyone have any thoughts?

13. R.A.G.

R.A.G. Well worn.

He'll probbaly get some good use out of the footwork as well, since that'll boost is maneuverability and physical redirection skills. the Strong Fist is very direct and seems to relymore on raw physicality to move around than the Gentle Fist's more slidy/dodgy movements.

Also if he ever figures out natural energy he can use it to jam that into people and turn them to stone.

Fulcon likes this.
  14. Darkarma

Darkarma Loli Ōtsutsuki

Considering what he can do given that he has the inability to make use of any hand seals, using just pure chakra control? Yes. Jyuuken, when combined with his standard style could be a killer. Basically double the damage. If he gets a solid hit, its always a critical. If he barely scrapes them, it can still cause significant damage.

He does have the downside of not having the eyes to maximize its use so he'll probably have efficiency problems of injecting his charka into others. This might end up looking like he has some sort of tactile telekinesis when even the lightest hit sends his opponents flying away due to him exploding his chakra inside and outside against an opponent.

Hurricane Fist anyone?

Fulcon likes this.
  15. MMMm

The ability to damage people through armor or other techniques that would prevent him from doing kinetic damage.

It doesn't matter if the enemy can harden themselves so you can't break their bones or penetrate their skin. If he's using a shaped "blade" of chakra on his fingers or palms, he'll tear up your insides. It also adds a nasty surprise for anyone who doesn't know you can do that. People of similar strength levels to Lee could trade blows with him, but any of his attacks could damage internal organs now, even if you block or it's a glancing blow.

The thing about taijutsu is that it's inherently less lethal against opponents who are equal to you than using a weapon is. But Lee's hands are the equivalent of using a kunai when you add gentle fist to the mix. It can shut down people's chakra points, but it can also pulp their hearts with one touch.

The Kaiten seems like a bit of a stretch considering the byakugan gives the user the ability to easily release chakra from any of their chakra points. Neji's kekkei genkai makes such a technique easily feasible for him to perform.

If Lee did learn to do this, it would be the product of a heck of a lot of effort and training. The proto version of it would likely be him performing it first with his hands and feet. Or perhaps he releases a burst of chakra from his entire body to deflect attacks but he times it for the moment of impact.

His current weaknesses are:

-No good long ranged options and his training is for closing the distance and beating people down.

-He needs to get close to his opponents to attack and some enemies are really deadly in melee range.

-An enemy who has high "base stats" like Lee does is at an advantage because they have access to jutsu and he doesn't.

The 8 gates solves a lot of these problems because it multiplies his strength. But if the goal is to make it so he's less likely to need to use the gates, then those are the areas he should work on.

NightmareWarden and Fulcon like this.
  16. bluepencil

bluepencil Gas monies plz

Pity he ain't no Hyuuga because the air palm is explicitly giving similarly stuck in melee rut Hyuuga a ranged option.

Can't someone just punch hard enough to throw a shockwave through the air?

MMMm and Fulcon like this.
  17. Galacticplumber

Okay, as previously mentioned, the heavenly spin requires releasing chakra from every tenketsu at the same time while spinning. No reasonable way for lee to get that.

That said, the ability to add armor piercing to his repertoire, the ability to disrupt wall jutsu, and not be helpless against barriers, the previously mentioned benefits of attrition against similarly skilled opponents, and the improved footwork leading to better dodging that most deflect spamming hyuuga NEVER USE all add up to serious gains.

He aint likely to get any flashy techniques out of it. More versatile offense, defense, some counters, and staying power matter a lot. What do I mean staying power? Having more generally applicable things to do means less having to rely on overwhelming force. This means less fights require the use of gates, and fights where it IS required can have it happen later/more sparingly.

If lee using gates is scary, imagine lee using gates while you're more fatigued, and with possible organ/muscle damage. The tenketsu nonsense is fun and all, but you don't need precision to do the muscle and organ damage.

Fulcon likes this.
  18. aj0413

aj0413 Fluffy~~

Not sure if someone mentioned it:

There's nothing really stopping Lee from learning Tsunade Mega Punch; it's literally just well timed chakra release like the Hyuuga finger attacks, but more explosive and less precise

Edit:

If you need to justify the chakra control req in story, I'd place it this way:

Better chakra control == better explosive/piercing force

Though, given how tree walking with too much chakra works, I never understood why the technique wouldnt just work by dumpin lots of chakra into it

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Fulcon likes this.
  19. Galacticplumber

The issue isn't the amount of chakra, but the timing, and also reinforcing the arm at the same time so it doesn't disintegrate.

Fulcon likes this.
  20. aj0413

aj0413 Fluffy~~

well, yes, but as seen with tree walking; ninja are basically always doing such things to some degree

It's not like the super punch is a "new" technique, so much as it is maximizing effectiveness of existing ones

Naruto for instance should be able to use it, to some extent, with minimal training on timing. Gai should definitely be able to use it, as a master of his body; the eight gates basically require understanding the limits of body reinforcement

edit:

Now that I think about it, just about every Hyuuga should be able to use the technique to some extent to.

Basically, the whole thing is so basic and uses existing principals plenty of characters have been shown to master or use as part of their own techniques that I've never understood the "specialness" of it

Fulcon likes this.
  21. Galacticplumber

Also keep in mind, most people don't have the technique roadmap of how it actually works. This is in addition to the fact that if you try it and get it wrong you might not have an arm anymore.

22. aj0413

aj0413 Fluffy~~

That would explain why people outside the village don't use it, but just seems like one of those things you'd think she'd share with the rest of her friends or something.

I mean, otherwise, it literally just boils down to "this incredibly simple technique that could help the entire village was kept hidden for reasons and will die with me"

granted we see such idiocy in the settings plenty of times due to the whole ninja secrets thing and fulcon tries to address it in version 1 of the story

Fulcon likes this.
  23. MMMm

That's what higher levels of the gates let you do, yeah. Hirudora/Daytime Tiger is what's that technique is called.

Well, Shizune noticeably doesn't have it. Despite having been Tsunade's apprentice for many years. It implies some things about just how difficult the technique is that an expert medic couldn't learn it. Nor was she able to learn the Strength of 100 seal.

And the only other person besides Tsunade to use these two techniques was the girl whose gimmick was always her chakra control.

24. Galacticplumber

Indeed. People being really secretive with their shit is setting standard including the slug queen. The only person she taught the strength was Sakura. Not even Shizune despite knowing her for years if not over a decade.

Edit: NINJA in the thread.... How appropriate.

25. SebazuD

SebazuD Experienced.

Not really?
    I mean, Neji is a genius in that he learned the technique by himself with no one teaching him.

But for Lee to learn it he would need a teacher and then any Hyuuga who sees him use it would put up a stink.

I mean, Lee doesnt have a game system.
    To learn someone like the 8 trigrams he would need all the other techniques and physical training leading to that.

It would make sense to have Lee start analizing other people's styles and trying to add techniques to his arsenal by cherry picking and maybe consulting Gai.

Better equipment too, like some kind of lighning charged chakra gloves.

Or maybe doing what Jiraiya did, of having summons in his shoulder using special techniques.
    He could learn how to summon small turtles in his shoulders that use Ninjutsu and protect him from Genjutsu.

Maybe with a summoning scroll rather than with hand signs.

MMMm likes this.
  26. MMMm

Orochimaru was able use his summoning jutsu via snake tattoos on his arms even after losing access to his ninjutsu. This could be something that Lee explores, but with turtles.

27. gjin733

gjin733 Not too sore, are you?

Pressed doubt. Being confident is OK, but I think there are very few people who won't change something about their appearance given the chance. A guy not wanting bigger dick, more defined muscles, something else? Not even just checking how it looks and reversing? Yeah, I don't buy it.

Not wanting to suck some titties...

What's with this reaction? He's grown ass man and this is a book. I don't understand what's going on in his head. Is he retarded? Had he gone crazy?

I can see how that's going to work out.

Int I can kinda sorta get. It'll allow him to learn faster. But luck? Without being certain what it does, relying on something that is by definition unreliable? With the justification that it'll help him survive? His decisions make less sense the further I read.

Yeah. I revoke my question. 100% retard there.

I see it's working out exactly as I thought. Not at all.

No... How is that possible, lol.

Overall there's only one thing in this whole chapter I liked. Stat description. It was a sort of meta joke. The problem is the character didn't get it. It was just played completely straight which just made it awkward. Was it actually meant like that or was that an accident?

28. MMMm

Yeah, guess he's one of those people. He had the opportunity to make himself into the sexiest man in the elemental nations but decided not to.

Maybe he just didn't want to be buff, tall, and hansom?

In his defense, it's because he knows it's the Fallout system. Luck in that game gives you a skill boost and improves your critical hit ratio.

Using Fallout 3 logic, he'd have +4 to all of his skills and he'd gain a 7% critical hit chance on all of his attacks.

In some of the other games it offers nearly supernatural benefits in certain circumstances. It's also the reason he drained charisma. It's trash in those games and only provides small benefits, the speech skill handling nearly everything charisma could and plenty of items and alcohol existing that'll let you boost charisma if you need to raise it for something.

Fulcon likes this.
  29. gjin733

gjin733 Not too sore, are you?

I can't tell if it's sarcasm or not.

Did he? He saw a book with a fallout character. For all he knew a higher power was trolling him. Also what's with those charisma checks? Why was he surprised by them if he knew the mechanics? Is that even what cha does in the game? Never played it.

Fulcon likes this.
  30. MMMm

No, I'm actually serious. He might have looked at the opportunity to turn himself into a Greek statue and decided that's not the life for him.

I wouldn't. I'd be as buff as the Raikage, with beautiful hair, and a face that would give Narcissus a hard on. And of course a platinum super shlong, with golden hair on the balls.

He threw caution to the wind and made assumptions. The smartest strategy is to not drain much of anything and to be well rounded, at the cost of not being able to specialize. But he was adventurous and decided to take a risk.

Oh, Charisma is usually such trash. I drain it to 1 in every single build in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. In Vegas, it has an effect called "nerve" that raises the damage companions do. And not much else. It's mostly an atrophied stat that was supplanted by the speech skill.

Basically, when you talk to other characters, sometimes a check comes up that'll let you end situations peacefully or in your advantage. It completely breaks the game in many cases since you can just talk people down rather than having to fight them. Cool from a roleplaying perspective, not so much from a gameplay perspective.

For example, you could walk into a bar and a bunch of people are pointing guns at each other. With one, maybe two speech checks, they'll all put their guns away and walk out of there, possibly giving you a reward in the process. This is often treated as the "correct" way to play the game, as you'll end up having to kill a lot of people in avoidable ways if you can't pass the speech checks.

Charisma is very rarely used for checks of any sort and because you can save and reload your game, you can prepare for these moments. There's a variety of items that boost specific stats in the game and they all stack if they have different names. So you can walk around with a relatively high charisma from your gear and get even more from consumable items.

It's another reason people frequently also drain strength a bit, because there's a steak in the game you can eat to gain 2 strength points.But that's a matter of personal taste for your build, since obviously a melee fighter would want strength.

He's probably surprised that the game treats Charisma as an actually useful stat rather than a dump stat that the developers gave up on. Considering the "real life" nature of the world he's found his way into it, it's one of the best stats because he can create situations that'll cause charisma checks and get him free stuff. Speech remains a god tier skill.

Fulcon likes this.