1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

As other have already mentioned, Jade is busy fighting in the war so it would be kind of self defeating to spend time with her when he’s meant to be on leave

2. Kachajal

Kachajal Getting some practice in, huh?

Can I just point out how incredibly awful this article is? Just horrible, bad, no good at all, awful.

What the hell has happened to the internet, good lord.

3. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

I can't wait to see the game come out, backed by Justice League endorsement (or at least, OL's endorsements)

I'd love to see what comes from Earth getting a solid understanding of an entire galaxies' collective societies.
    Wonder if people would shut down or start screaming once they find out everything was real.

boo600 and Ardy like this.
  4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Cadbury's (twice)

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Sonic 3 & Knuckles, AKA Peak Sonic.
    I'm happy to change it if you've got a better one.
    Thank you, corrected.

6. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I kinda assumed the napalm blood thing was as part of Red rings Branding and Taking was to Orange or (insert unique special feature/skills) was to (insert color) rings?

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That is what the FAQ says.

But apparently Zoat didn't read it either. <chuckle>

8. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Shhh, we're not supposed to talk about that! There is no... FAQ.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy and Doccer like this.
  9. Threadmarks: The Other Half (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

12th July 2012
    20:52 GMT

I step through the open blast door and into one of the offices on the increasingly misnamed 'dark side' of the moon.

"Lex said that you wanted to speak to me?"

Other Lex nods distractedly as he continues to pore over intelligence reports collected by hush tube from many unsuspecting interstellar civilisations.

"I've already told your Lex, but I've concluded that your attempts at uplift are… Passable."

"Be still my beating heart."

"I've outlined a few areas for improvement-."

"Please tell me you didn't say that to Lex."

He sits up slightly and gives me a marginally larger portion of his attention.

"Why ever not?"

"Because as much as he's doing better these days, we've still got a considerable distance to go before he'll be capable of responding rationally to criticism like that."

I generate a construct chair and sit down.

"And speaking of that-."

"I became aware of my own irrationality a few months ago. I was exposed to a variant of phobaline hydrochorate twice in my life, but only found out about it relatively recently."

I frown. "Fear toxin? The effects of short term exposure end… At most after a month. Unless the dosage was… Near-lethal-."

"A variant, designed to cause long term paranoid tendencies."

Lantern Grayven, that could be a useful addition to your arsenal.

"Right. Excuse me a moment, my ring's talking to me."

"Concerning what?"

I raise my right hand and create a construct of Sinestro, mentally granting my AI full control of it. Other Lex looks at the man, clearly recognising him.

"Sinestro."

"Technically, an AI based on Sinestro 50's memories and intuitions. He had it imprinted on his ring so that in the event of his death it would seek out someone who could continue his work. I've been calling it 'Sinestro', but that Sinestro was killed years ago."

"Sinestro, what was your creator's aim?"

"I was programmed to aid in the establishment of an orderly civilisation through fear; fear of my wearer personally and fear of retribution generally. However, reviewing my database makes it fairly clear that despite how he programmed me, Thaal Sinestro himself valued revenge against the Green Lantern Corps above society-building."

Other Lex nods.

"I assume that you've met your Sinestro?"

He exhales sharply through his nose and raises his right hand, showing his ring.

"When I left, our Sinestro was the Field Commander of the Gold Lantern Corps. The Guardians…" His expression darkens slightly. "Our Guardians were mostly interested in increasing their power, prestige and control. They struck out at civilizations that threatened their hegemony, using Earth as the storage site for potentially useful individuals. Here… Mars is still alive, and every piece of information I've been able to gather shows no sign that they were the hidden hand behind other extermination events."

"Those reports aren't necessarily conclusive. They're mostly what other people think, not necessarily hard facts."

"I've been checking. Your Guardians are down to handfuls of individuals, and their influence covers a far smaller area. The Guardians of my home universe couldn't tolerate that."

"Did they use the Corpse, or modified Manhunters?"

"Manhunters. Your Guardians used them as guards for secure sites and personal 'avatars' when their Lanterns require their support. I haven't been able to find a single infiltrator, and I've been looking hard."

"That's a bit of a relief."

"Our Sinestro turned on the Guardians because they performed biological experiments upon his species." He looks at the construct. "What was your creator's motive?"

"He took over his homeworld and created what he considered to be a perfectly orderly society. Since that was a clear abuse of his ring's power, the Guardians banished him to the anti-matter universe. Unfortunately for them, the experience neither killed him nor convinced him that he was in the wrong."

I nod. "Something similar happened here, except that as far as I can tell he had a far better justification for his putsch. He still has supporters today."

"With whom you stubbornly refuse to make contact. Even if you insist on building your support base in Vega or on Earth, an educated and loyal population could make themselves indispensable."

"Loyal to Sinestro, who I'll remind you is still out there somewhere."

Other Lex gives me a mild frown.

"You're ignoring him?"

"I see no profit in confronting him. I'm not wearing a green ring, and I'm not doing anything he'd disapprove of. Given the skills that he's demonstrated to date, engaging with him in any way would probably result in us trying to kill each other. I don't need another yellow ring at all, and I'm certainly not going to risk either my life or my existing plans to get one."

Other Lex nods approvingly. "Commendably rational. But do you think he will be willing to ignore you?"

"He has so far."

"His concern is justified. You are correct that Sinestro has no reason to target you, but given his existing antipathy to Earth's Green Lanterns it's hardly unthinkable that he might return to Earth at some point. If he does, he will investigate a second yellow ring."

I shake my head.

"That's true of any number of interested parties. I'm not going to write up a huge list of everyone in the universe who might decide to take an interest and try to make plans for all of them. That way lies madness."

Other Lex isn't looking at me.

Heh.

"Though I could-."

Sinestro's head jerks slightly.

"Lantern, I'm receiving an emergency request-." YOUR REALM IS UNDER ATTACK.

I come to my feet, dismissing the construct as I do so.

"Mother Box, boom tube!" "I Defend My People!"

BOOM!

I sprint forwards, my heavy footfalls denting the floor as I run out onto the…

12th July 2012
    12:56 GMT -8

The streets of Aberrance, screams guiding me in the direction of the former site of the Metamorphodrome, now Uncorp's primary chirurgical centre.

Ring, find Cranius!

By your command.

Got a location. Communication channel.

"Cranius, I'm here, what's going-"

A colossal arc of lightning scythes through the tops of the surrounding buildings!

"-on?"

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  10. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Seems Zeus has finally come down to take his vengeance, but he went after the wrong Paul. :V

11. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

"Zo maybe grafting dragon parts onto ze girl was not ze best use of my resources..."

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, he's still just a big old bag of issues.

'Corps'

Edit:Nevermind.

Yeah, I think it was some kind of war.

As for the supporters, I think they may be keeping their heads down, at least a bit.

So as to this Aberrance thing, either Arion is attacking them, some other person or group is doing it, or one of Cranius's experiments went wrong.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Boy, actually.

Though it still is funny.

14. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

No, he really does mean The Corpse

15. Mr Zoat

"Boy, girl, I graft on zhe parts..."

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"and I don't azks questions."

17. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Sinestro 50, not 14.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, yes. I'd forgotten the Lex from another universe (Specifically the DCAU fanfic 'Inviolate') had joined the fun. I wonder how he's been getting on with Lex-16? Hopefully they haven't had to wrestle out an argument in power armour yet...

Well, compared to the Paragon, you are taking a harder road. Not that you know that. Then again, the Paragon doesn't have a Space Fleet on Earth yet, and he got hit harder by the Sheeda because of it...

I do hope there wasn't too much shouting...

No doubt I!Lex knows how to handle himself around himself...

The central conceit of the Fanfic he came from, in fact. Let's just say his response to it was.. Impressive.

Far more subtle than the sledgehammer Crane has been using, really. I believe the not-so-good Professor was upset when he found his work had been misappropriated...

Thankfully, I!Lex should be well familiar with that, given his creation of a will-based Lantern Corps of his own.

Dressed in the rather odd tights of his earlier renegade days, or a full Sinestro Corps uniform, I wonder? Not that there's too much difference besides colours.

:rolleyes: Yay for the Justice Lords... There's a tale to tell both Lexes. What happens when you push too far.

Yes, well, he was in a somewhat more Red headspace when he had the Yellow ring crafted. Not so much that it impaired his capabilities, though, evidently.

Oh, boy howdy has he ever. Didn't he make an appearance during 'Repetition/Duplication'? During the team-up of Raul, OL and Zaul on their little trans-universal road-trip? Or am I being a little fuzzy-headed on the details again?

Ah, yes. A characterisation of them much more in line with their later incarnations. Not quite as bad as the New 52 versions with their creation of a 'perfect' soldier, the 'Third Army'.

Well, yours are all dead now anyway, so it's not really a problem.

And yes, he does mean the Corpse, as Someguy Somewhere linked. The Guardian's secret Black Ops unit, complete with capsules that turn their Will's luminosity down to the point of being almost black. So they don't have that telltale glow.

Boy, some universe get hit with the 'different for the sake of being different' brush, didn't they? Not quite on the 'Just Imagine' level of 'well-known name, all-new character', though...

I wonder how Korugar is doing in the Renegade timeline? Clearly he's looked into it, but dismissed it as not a priority...

Which is still a shoe tumbling up there, just waiting to drop when Grayven least wants it to... :p And that's not taunting Murphy, that's just recognising a solid bit of foreshadowing...

Best not to poke the somewhat vexed former Green Lantern, who may or may not be watching the Orange Lantern Corps' rise very carefully. And getting ideas. Awful, terrific ideas.

Let's not cross that bridge until you come to it. Still wouldn't hurt to have some plans in place. Maybe you could get on that, Lex?

Indeed. And I doubt Sinestro-16 would pass up the chance to collect a second ring, whatever benefit it might provide.

Or, you know, being Batman. Or Lex Luthor... Oh, wait.

Yes, he saw what you were doing there, and he will remember that.

Interesting that the AI is programmed to emulate such detailed body language, such as glancing away as if hearing a second call ringing.

Memories of numerous RTS games flashed through my mind at that bit of Godspeech...

And Grayven's responding much as any player would, I see.

Now, if my calculation is right, this would have been right in the middle of that emergency appointment Cranius had scheduled. Well, I guess he and the Wizards found something...

One of the prime assets in this arrangement, of course.

Ah, the good old 'all hell breaking loose' cliffhanger. It's been a while since Grayven felt that little narrative convention, hasn't it?

And the plots are coming together. No doubt Zatara's mission for the Team brought them to Aberrance in search of Cranius' expert aid. Methinks someone is unhappy with the situation, however. Are we about to meet Arion the Elder, I wonder? More importantly: Whose viewpoint are we getting tomorrow? Place your bets!

Godspeech!

19. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Making the rounds.

"pore over".

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may be extremely disappointed with his Earth 16 self.

Unlike him, Lex 16 did all that stupid villain crap on his own choice, not because he was drugged for some convoluted and nonsensical scheme.

He may feel better that he's becoming more sane, but still.

While paragons uplift of Earth is slower than the renegades, his actions in space have resulted in more planets improving and there's a greater opposition to the Reach compared to what's happening in the renegade space side.

Inviolate Lex may be horrified.

Renegade Lex may just be angry that he died there and that he wasn't the one in the Lords place, ruling the world, or country.

Yep, and Indigo Paul was there.

Raul went berserk on Sinestro.

Okay, I'll give you this one.

Also, I'm proud of you Chojin.

Well it's either Arion, or some other group or person doing this, maybe because they don't like what Cranius or renegade are doing.

Or Cranius went a bit overboard with the dragon parts.

21. Assblaster5000

That you dare to speak such heresy offends me you... you infantile pillock.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I speak nothing but the truth, good sir!

ChestBurster and Assblaster5000 like this.
  23. Assblaster5000

E'gad, you think yourself in the right heretic!? That our dear sir Cranius grafted onto a fine young man the flesh of Dragons, granting him might not unlike that of Sir Siegfried of ancient myth is a sign that he is only the most capable member of The Biologius! And I would ask you Heretic, when have our dearest friends, those children of The Omnissiah we call The Adeptus Mechanicus, ever failed in such pursuits?

24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

You never played Sonic Mania Plus, haven't you?

ChestBurster likes this.
  25. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I'm not an expert but I don't think the adeptus mechanics are big fans of grafting non-metallic appendages

ChestBurster and Assblaster5000 like this.
  26. Assblaster5000

You're not wrong on that, but they do have a group dedicated to the pursuit of biological studies and, in certain cases, augmentation via genetics and the like. It's not something they do commonly but from what I can remember it is something they could do.

ChestBurster and DAT_NOOB like this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Some of them do it, but it's not the most popular thing.

Studying aliens is even more frowned upon, and if they make a scientific observation that is true, like saying some aliens are superior to humans in certain ways, then they can be killed.

28. Assblaster5000

The correct term is "BLAM'ed" dear sir.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It sounds... New.
    You 'can' be killed for anything in the Imperium.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Rogal Dorn: This is true.

ChestBurster likes this.