1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

He doesn't do that. Remember, Geoffrey Talbot's ring was made without blood magic by a Qwardian.

2. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not even entirely sure how one "Shit's up".

Doccer, Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Usually "worldwide".

Usually "oomph".

Quite

4. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I would think a Qwardian making a power ring would mean it's more likely to make the user vomit acidic pseudo-napalm than otherwise.

"Why does this power ring powered by compassion make one vomit corrosive liquid fire constructs?"

"The proper question is why wouldn't it make one vomit corrosive liquid fire constructs?"

6. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

They need to put him in touch with Cranius so he can have some proper vocal chords installed.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Threadmarks: The Other Half (supplementary, SI option)
    Mr Zoat

12th July 2012
    11:54 GMT -5

"Okay, but could it be better?"

Kaldur looks at me impassively.

"While I doubt that the design of the water bearer is 'perfect', I do not think that redesigning my equipment is what you are supposed to work on while on medical leave."

"I'm not on.. medical leave. They just want me to avoid…" Okay, it… Would be an arcane influence. Sort of. I couldn't work with the magic part and that's where the potential interference would come from.

I bow my head, nodding.

"Okay."

He smiles faintly, patting me on my left shoulder.

"Do not look so troubled. Surely there are things that you do that do not involve magic?"

Cadbury's is running well, making a profit quarter on quarter and expanding their operations while taking into account differences in regional tastes. Americans just really like gone off milk in their chocolate, and… Capitalism. It's their money. You can lead a horse to good chocolate but you can't make it eat-.

Don't ever feed a horse chocolate.

"Yes… But they're all work things. I… Rather made this whole thing my life."

Computer game development is coming along. Provisionally named 'Vega', they're working on both the engine and the storylines. I don't know how long that sort of thing usually takes, but the progress reports sound relatively positive. I thought about asking Oliver to be my man on the board there as well, but decided against it. While Cadbury's is supposed to be a commercial company, the game is more about having a mass market study into popular morality and ethics. For me, anyway. I'm not gambling with money I can't afford to lose, and… Frankly, the people involved all seem well motivated enough that I'm not worrying about it.

He nods. "I understand that all too well."

Which leaves me at a loose end.

"I mean, Orange Lantern, so-."

"If you did not make it your life, you would not be able to do it so well."

"Obligation only takes me so far."

"During a campaign, it can be difficult for a soldier to take time to themselves."

"I think the problem's more the other way around. I can raise my hand-" I tap my right forefinger and middle finger against my forehead. "-and reappear almost anywhere. But studies on combat fatigue show that that's not actually a good idea." I shrug. "People work better when they're given time to decompress before getting back to normal life. And it was…"

I look around the mountain's living area.

"This, or gardening with Alan. And I've never really liked gardening, and we're both 'out', which… Can make things a little awkward. So…" I smile awkwardly. "What have you been up to?"

"On M'gann's advice I have began attending a local dance class."

"Oh?"

"For obvious reasons, dances in Atlantis are very different to how they are performed on dry land."

"I can imagine. What..? What sort of dancing?"

"Recently, we have been learning the tango."

"Huh."

"Does it surprise you that it would interest me?"

I shrug.

"You haven't mentioned it before, but… It's good to have a hobby, I suppose? You..? Enjoying it?"

He smiles faintly. "I am. Despite Canis's attempts to persuade me otherwise, I seldom use my abilities for anything other than combat."

"I thought Atlanteans were just stronger and tougher than baseline humans. I didn't think you were more agile as well."

"We are not, but living under water forces us to perceive our environment in three dimensions. I have noticed that as a result my spatial awareness tends to be better than that of most surface dwellers."

"Makes… Sense. And that translates into dancing?"

"Not perfectly. I am unlikely to tread upon my partner's toes, but the patterns of movement do not necessarily come naturally."

"Made any new friends?"

"Yes, and they are not people whom I would otherwise have met. Conner said that it would be wise to expand my social circle to include 'regular people'."

"Superheroes are supposed to defend society. I imagine unending duty would get a bit frustrating if we didn't have any emotional investment in the people we were fighting for."

"I doubt that the people I meet will ever be imperilled. Happy Harbour has an exceedingly low crime rate."

It's true. Even the Sheeda didn't really bother to attack it during their incursion, probably due to a combination of quick Justice League response time and low population. What crime there is, is usually petty hooliganism and not the sort of thing where superheroic intervention would really help. Community policing is the order of the day there.

"They're imperilled by attacks on the Earth as a whole. And you can imagine that they're similar to the people you see in other places."

"Is that what you do?"

"No. Empathic vision. Unless they're blocking it somehow I can see the individuality of everyone around me, everything they want to achieve with their lives. But unless you've been working on your parapsychic abilities-"

He shakes his head.

"-you don't have that."

"In Atlantis, parapsychics are rare. The strain it places on the mind of the user means that few are prepared to undertake the training. I am not among them."

If anything he's underselling it. On the surface, parapsychics with no training generally get to the point where they're forced to live as hermits; the sheer intensity of the images they get from everything overwhelming them. In Atlantis they get proper training, but all that means is that they hit the 'limit' earlier. Their ability to dampen the visions is only slightly better than ours.

"Perfectly sensible, but you see how it's a different problem."

"Parapsychics usually have trouble using violence. I have not noticed that being a problem for you."

"Oh, no. When I see someone's desires, when I see for sure what they want… I can tell for certain that they need to die. It sounds callous, but if you saw what I see…"

I shake my head and look away, towards the 'entertainment centre'.

"That got morbid. Are you up for some cooperative Sonic the Hedgehog?"

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  8. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Should we be reading in to the fact that he didn't mention Jade as a non-work-thing?

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Kaldur, you do realize this is Paul you're talking to?

He's learning.

Get ready to see some sick things Paul.

Now I can't get that 'Under the Sea' song out of my head.

And I'm thinking of that lobster from YJ Abridged, John I think, singing it.

Watch out ladies, and guys, because Kaldur will now get to show the passionate side he has underneath all that stoicism.

And that is how Kaldur summoned Murphy.

As it tends to get with you.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  10. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

‘In Atlantis’

11. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I’m pretty sure Jade is too busy doing her own work.

12. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

The Vega game is going to run into a few problems.
    1. Players need to have a good understanding of the situation in order to make meaningful moral choices which means likely alot of tutorial levels.
    2. The game is going to need to be extremely free form to avoid pigeonholing players into false dilemmas. Simulating populations does not seem easy.

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, feeling a bit of cabin fever, OL? Time off weighing on you? Not unsurprising, given his overall character. OL definitely seems like someone who enjoys having something to do all the time. Being stuck on Earth letting his soul patch itself up must be driving him crazy with boredom...

Yeah... I suspect even having Kaldur use his abilities around you would throw the balance off a little. And you know Hinon would have words with you about messing up your 'stable' baseline readings.

I mean, surely there's something not magic related you could be doing? Maybe work on some Warhammer models? :oops: I know if I had a power ring of any colour, my quite large painting backlog would be gone in moments... And my Lego collection would be sorted as hell.

See, that's the question. With so much time tied up in things like Kord Industries' arcanotech, Atlantis' Thaumaturgic research and so much more... There's not a lot left...

Unless they're Equestrians, who seem to have developed a more human digestive response. Heck, they can vomit, something natural horses cannot do.

To be fair, Superheroing is quite the involving lifestyle choice.

Eh, it was something that was never expected to be coming out anytime soon. Modern Triple-A games take up to five years of development, especially stuff as complex as the Vega game would have to be. I can but hope it doesn't take the Mass Effect route of one path with minor variations...

:rolleyes: The joy of being a workaholic.

That is true, sure enough. It's what makes Orange Lanterns so powerful when working towards their goals. But of course it comes with the drawbacks OL is facing here...

That's one thing OL doesn't have to worry about. If anything it's the opposite problem.

Exactly. It's an interesting conundrum. And it'll only get more complex if others learn to do things he can do. On the other hand, once others begin to share his skills, there's less pressure on him to do everything himself...

Any interesting missions for the Team we've missed? No injuries or problems OL can help with?

:confused: ...Okay, then. That's... Not something I could ever see him doing.

I rather envision them being like complicated synchronised swimming displays, really. Atlantis is probably old-fashioned musically, so no discothèques or raves, and the styles that come with them... So more baroque massed formations than anything informal...

Huh. Anyone you're enjoying the dances with? After all, a nice surface girl (or boy, he is bisexual in canon) could be just the tonic to expand his horizons.

It does kind of come out of left field... But Canon Kaldur is such a blank canvas, anything goes really.

I mean, Kaldur might stick with something he doesn't like doing out of a sense of obligation... He's that sort of person from what we've seen of him...

Agile is a relative term. He might not tumble like an acrobat, but being aquatic would give him a much better sense of spacial awareness. Also far better eyesight than human, if only because of the low-light conditions at deeper levels.

Yeah, wouldn't to do swim too high and bump your heads on ceilings, so you learn to be aware of everything around you quite young, I bet.

Should we draw up a Shipping Chart? :D

Something many superhero settings tend to forget. How many have you seen that have the heroes on duty in every scene, no casual clothes or everyday activities? When was the last time you saw a cape going shopping for food, catching a movie or schlepping around on the couch watching TV? That wasn't a comedy?

Most small towns would be like that if word got out that Superheroes hung around. The ones that didn't spontaneously develop supervillain nemeses, anyway... Though the sort of cape who gets involved in small-town crime generally don't earn cape opponents... They'd be in more danger of a local gang learning where they live and trying to mess with them to make a point or recover reputation.

I imagine things like that are a lot easier for OL if he can pick a few faces in the crowd to empathise with.

Unsurprising, it's hardly something you'd need as a soldier-mage.

Weird that Mages don't develop Psychic abilities, and vice-versa. It's not like the mechanics are mutually exclusive, are they? I suppose they can construct spells to do that, though...

It's something of a 'sink or swim' problem, then. Either you learn to shield on your own or get training to do so, or you get broken down by your own abilities. I suspect that's one reason why Captain Comet lost interest in Earth so long ago... That and the wanderlust.

And he's had to look into some very dark places in his career. Including himself.

So who gets to be Tails, the clearly superior character? After all, in the original Mega-Drive games, he was invulnerable as player two. He's as fast as Sonic, and he can glide via his tails. :p All Sonic has is what, spikes? Shoes?

Interesting to see OL at ends on what to do with his newly-discovered free time. No doubt he has concerns about what's happening back at the Front, but he really does need to relax a bit after nearly dying permanently. It was only really luck that he came back from the whole Qwa-Matter thing, after all...

14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    1. That's unrealistic. The information needs to be there so that players can discover it, but how often to people actually have access to all of the information relating to a decision they're making.
    2. Not exactly. Look at Shadow of Mordor. The game generates variety while the main mission parts are always the same.

15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I imagine that it will be controversial when it's revealed that the contents of the missions in the game are not fictional.

Also, I know Ted Kord isn't Blue Beetle in the Paragon timeline due to Paul's influence, but is he Blue Beetle in the Renegade timeline? I'm just wondering because it might be fun to see that excitable genius on the field.

16. Mr Zoat

I haven't decided. The only obvious changes from canon is that he got Morrow's element manipulation system, and with Mr. Crock and Mr. Slade out of the picture it's quite likely that he won't be killed.

17. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Nah. They are working off of Persona model you see. He put in a lot of effort early in the game to max out Jade's Social Link, picked a Romance option and that was that. Their relationship is set in stone so there's no point of thinking about her or interacting beyond bare minimum (so the audience doesn't forget she exists).

18. Mr Zoat

Jade's in the war zone. Spending time with her would involve being in the war zone.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or bake.

I'm still picturing something like in the Little Mermaid.

Mr. Wilson actually.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except... You can't see "for sure" because you get shut down by extreme's of Hope.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Agent Orange

Makes perfect sense to me. We know that Atlanteans pick their monarchs based on their singing ability and that social positions is greatly influenced by individual's ability to carry the tune (that's why Tula and Garth are at the bottom and icons like John the Lobster are just below the King and Queen).

Bramble Thorn and Darko like this.
  22. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Also the Vega game is running on a budget of "yes", isn't it? Being funded by the guy with more money than Earth and all.

23. Mr Zoat

When you're selling to the entire universe, you don't need to sell that many units per planet to make your money back.

24. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Alien anatomy?

That... actually makes a disturbing amount of sense. Ouch!

boo600, Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  25. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I mean, if you know that someone's values are contradictory to yours, removal is the only acceptable option. Or something like that?

Cuchulin and infinityDivided like this.
  26. Agent Orange

Naturally. That's how the society (and shipping) functions. There can be only one.

27. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

It depends on how and where they contradict, but there are certainly contradictions that an observer would find utterly unacceptable.

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Does the video game use alien programming tech? An accidental Paul-AI would be a fun little sub arc...

It would be interesting in general to read more about economic disruptions Paul is causing.

The Sheeda tossed a mountain into that particular lake anyway and if they use Shizo tech to rebuild, uplift could happen a lot faster than before.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Sonic 2? Ah well, one if my favorite Sonic games.

30. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

...What are you talking about now? He gets shuts down by extreme amounts of any emotion, not specifically hope, like the time he saw Guy before he first summoned Ion.

Even then, that was his old Emo-VisionTM and we don’t know what the lits are for his bew version.

boo600 and jonasquinn like this.