1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Re: The Sword of the Fallen: I couldn't remember, nor did a quick re-read enlighten me, thus the 'assuming' in my comment. This was the first suggestion of it being used to kill Starbreaker. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember if they then retrieved it afterwards.

Otto von Saurion and Vaermina like this.
  2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It was in the center of the sun, so I am not sure how they would go about doing that.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  3. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Didn't the sun cease to exist when Starbreaker died?

Here

4. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Knockout is swiftly becoming my new favorite Apokiliptan, Grayven non-withstanding.

Prince Charon likes this.
  5. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

How?

Didn't most of the ships get ganked during the invasion, leading to mass collapse of trade via shipping? Luxury goods like chocolate should be almost wiped out unless completely sourced locally.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul has the company use Dolmen Gates.

7. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Using magitech portal network to deliver chocolate... Food delivery companies must hate Cadbury's-16.

Otto von Saurion and Rebu like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Some people were apparently burning an effigy of Paul.

Though I think it was train and railway workers.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  9. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

1) Soul powers

2) Super-speed

3) Gothic-lolita design

4) Scythe

Good sir I do believe you just described Ruby Rose from sometimes popular American Anime RWBY. Fuck I wish It was better.

10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Is it a Uranium Elemental?

Either "as it's firing at me" or "as it fires at me"

Either "there is a" or "fetishists"

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Dammit, I was thinking of posting that thing with Billy myself but I forgot about it.

Thanks for posting it.

erebus1994 and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

13. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Damn. I wonder who it is.
    For a minute there I wondered if Behemoth invaded the place.

Otto von Saurion, CTrees and PDV like this.
  14. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Well the attacker used a 'colossal arc of lighting' to wreck the buildings so the primary suspects are Zeus and Thor. There's several empty spaces followed by the Flash on account of the whole lighting theme he's got going.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Doccer and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No, because then all the mass in the solar system would have slammed into the Source Wall.

16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Eventually. Mercury moves the fastest but it's got the furthest to travel -- and even the speedster of the solar system doesn't even hit 50 kilometers per second, and it would have had something like 200 million km to travel to get to the inner edge of the asteroid belt. That's over 46 days!

Assblaster5000, DAT_NOOB and Cuchulin like this.
  17. kerleth

kerleth Getting out there.

That's more than 3 football fields!

Old Knife and Assblaster5000 like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You know I think Dr. Kalgary from American Dad would make an excellent, more human looking, version of Cranius.

The accent, the glee at creating abominations, it's all there.

19. Threadmarks: The Other Half (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

12th July 2012
    14:00 GMT -7

I purse my lips as I stare at my orrery.

I'm sure that I've seen this before somewhere.

Not the orrery, which was a project which combined my arcane experience with Sunset's arcane knowledge. It is by far a greater tool than any I worked with in eras past. I would never have tried focusing this spell through a simple map or wooden navigational aide. Not the eruption of elementals besieging Cranius's citadel. Temporarily imbuing the inanimate with life is something even a moderately talented magician could do, had they the knowing of it.

This way of concealing a presence.

On the other side of the room, Giovanni Zatara raises his eyebrows in enquiry.

"Professor Larissa, have you made any progress?"

That's… A drawback to being available for consultations. Sometimes, people want to consult with you at inconvenient times. As Circe I could arrive at Grayven's side and smite whoever dared attack our ally… But as Professor Larissa -a capable but not especially powerful wielder of magical power- I am forced to moderate my response in the presence of a member of the Justice League.

This 'secret identity' business is such a nuisance. I can see why Diana never bothered with one.

"No."

And I keep my sighs contained. If a magic tutor such as my false face failed to identify a malefactor that would merely indicate that they had taken a few sensible precautions. But I'm an ancient sorceress. Hiding from the magics I've been using -even at lower levels of raw power- is no mean feat. It's not Dracula -I'll never forget the feel of his magic, all brute force and no subtlety- and Mr. Near confirmed that it's not Dr. Mist -who could certainly hide from me but would sooner cut off his own right arm than be this overt- and it's clearly not a demon. So who does that leave that I would..?

Aaaaaah.

That's why it feels familiar. Centuries of feeling the edges of the workings of thousands of Atlantean practitioners means that I've become well accustomed to their style, but this isn't the way they practise in the modern era. It wouldn't even occur to Sunset to use magic in this manner. So, either an Atlantean archmage with an interest in history or someone older.

I'm sure Adom would love it if it turned out that Queen Gamemnae somehow survived-.

"Are you certain?"

He doesn't know me well enough to interpret my expressions accurately, but he would spot an illusory mask.

"It reminds me of some of the older Atlantean techniques. Sunset uses the modern thaumaturgically complex forms while this makes more of an effort to work with existing arcane systems."

Because he didn't have anything like the same level of theoretical knowledge back then that they do now and wouldn't have known how to do that. Ahri'ahn. Where has he been? I haven't seen him in the flesh for…

For…

For a while, but I haven't even felt his magic for…

I think I owe Grayven more than I realised for persuading me to leave Kalonymos. For at least two centuries.

"Do you think it could be Circe?"

That's a rational enough deduction. And the answer is no, because I'm perfectly willing to evoke spirits and gods whereas his skin crawls at the very notion of even talking to someone who isn't Greek. Which explains why there haven't been any demands issued; that would involve communication and he hasn't been in contact with modern Atlantis yet to recruit a 'surface-face'. I can well believe that he'd kill a surface dweller who 'cosplayed' as him for no better reason than that.

But there's no reason for 'Professor Larissa' to know that or to be able to identify such subtle distinctions in their magic. A modern magic researcher would only know of him as a historical figure of note. Few among the people of Atlantis perform magic in historical styles for much the same reason that few people on the surface drive around in Model T Fords. But I suppose that it doesn't really matter if Giovanni thinks it's me or someone else, just so long as he's acting against them. So as much as it hurts my pride…

I nod. "It could be. I try to avoid people like that, so I've never experienced her magic close up. But whoever it is, according to this…" A portion of the orrery lights up, showing images of a damaged Aberrance street. "They're in Aberrance right now."

"Aberrance. Do you know it?"

I smile. "Yes, of course. Doctor von Schadel and I have corresponded at length on the use of Atlantean biomancy in his work. And of course the army wanted a second opinion on his implants."

He nods, then returns his attention to the orrery.

"Can I use this to guide a teleportation spell?"

I didn't think he was powerful enough to attempt such a thing. How much has that necklace enhanced his abilities, I wonder? And would he be willing to let me study it? I'm not interested in drawing on the Plane of Order, but there are techniques that can be applied when using other sources of power.

"I.. imagine that you can. It can certainly form a sympathetic link for you. I'm afraid that sort of magic is a little beyond me."

I've been lying to people for over three thousand years, so even a lie like that doesn't trip me up. In truth unaided direct teleportation was… Difficult in the immediate aftermath of breaking my pact with Hecate. But something as trivial as moving around the material world at will is well within my abilities.

As is maintaining a mental glamour against the type of probe Giovanni just attempted, concealing my real nature behind a façade and disguising that it is a façade. He's.. good, considering his relative youth. But he's using Lord Nabu's tools to punch above his weight and hasn't raised his own skills to match.

Maybe in a few centuries.

He nods politely.

"I thank you for your assistance. Tropsnart em ot eht dleifelttab!"

Gold light flashes and I watch the connections form between him, the orrery and the image of Aberrance. Then there's a flicker and he's gone. I wave my hands, making sure that he hasn't left any sort of observation spell behind. No, he kept to the rules of hospitality. What a pleasant surprise. I can't persuade Constantine to do that even after all of the minor 'corrective' curses I've put on him.

I turn and walk over to the desk, pulling out a bundle of threads. Let's see… Social interaction, teaching, physicality, some creativity… I twist the threads into a knot and attach aspects of my character to each one… And stand back as a changeling wearing my 'Professor Larissa' face appears.

"Take my classes and help the students."

She nods and heads to the 'Introduction to Magic' class that I'd had to put on hold. It won't require her to actually use magic, which is good because while she can draw on my reserves, if I'm going to be fighting Ahri'ahn I don't want to be at anything less than my best.

Even if he hasn't left any monitoring spells on the orrery, Giovanni might feel it if I use it. Fortunately, I know the shape of Sunset's magic well enough not to need it. I simply raise my hands and walk towards her heat and skill and friendship, shimmering-

12th July 2012
    13:04 GMT -8

-into being next to her in the Aberrance car park, the illusion of Professor Larissa well and truly discarded.

Flames are curling around Sunset as she partially etherealises, proving that she's well on her way to true apotheosis. Man-shaped lumps of macadam slump inert in a circle around her where she's defended herself against attack. She glances at me as I appear, and her… Genuine smile actually makes my heart flutter.

"Circe!"

"Sunset. Are you winning?"

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  20. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Oooh...

Sunset x Circe?

...I ship it.

21. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should be 'project'. Also, I'm guessing that Renegade!Zatara is more powerful but less skilled than his Paragon counterpart. I'm guessing this because, without a power boost, Zatara will have to up his skill in order to keep up with increasing threats, even if he isn't an active member of the League in the Paragon timeline.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'a project'

remove 'and'

I thought renegade told Diana that he helped Circe?

The latter.

Well, he may not like it so much if he sees the type of person she's become after his 'death'.

Yep, he's an ancient Lovecraft.

Ohh, John, you'll never learn.

Looks like at least one of renegades projects is becoming better.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Actually I think he's active again.

He at least helped them get to Witch-World.

Ardy and zeebza like this.
  25. Akshka

Akshka Wait, am I lost?

The ship is in dry dock being built. I approve
    ArE yOU WinINg SOn

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes, but he hasn't told her that Larissa = Circe.

27. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Are ya winning, son?

Sojiko, Gilhelmi, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Circe got even caught up on memes!

"Are you winning student/lover/sister in arms and mind"
    is what I imagine the godspeak variant of that would look like

I like how she is smart enough for all that but still dumb enough to poke Constantine.

SableTheArtificer and Darko like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Just because a person is incredibly smart, that doesn't mean they also can't be stupid.

30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Circe this time! As I thought it might be, given the events. Now to see why she hasn't gotten her fine ass to Aberrance yet... And if anyone's wondering what an Orrery is: Orrery. This one presumably monitors Earth for particularly large magical outbursts.

Oh, boy. So that rocky fellow Grayven took down wasn't the only one around. Grayven's going to have to do some radiological cleanup, methinks.

Ah, that explains it. Dang secret identities, eh? More trouble than they're worth sometimes...

Heh, no Diana Prince in this timeline, eh? Still, this does get us some Thessaly moments. She's a fun character in the 'Sandman' comics...

...Would recognise the feel of? After that laundry list of elder magicians, there's not many left. And the few that live that long quickly learn to keep themselves hidden...

So modern Atlantean magic has evolved over the millennia? Let me guess, made safer and easier to understand for those less skill in the Art? And in the process made more restricted and restrictive...

Ehhh... Given previous depictions of Gamemnae weren't pleasant (Remember the Obsidian age, and her 'Morass' spell that made her a giant crone?) I don't think that'll be a good thing.

It's more complex now because of numerous safety features added, I suppose... Bet Arion the Elder will be disgusted by all the 'lesser' folk being allowed to learn the Great Art...

A long time? To be fair, when you've lived as long as Circe has, more than once a century might qualify as 'often'...

Yes, you're having fun, aren't you? For all the hassles, all the annoyances... Getting to teach and see the world again... It feels good, doesn't it?

Ah, she's worked that much out about Young Arion? Good to see the plot's been progressing offscreen. And I do not see Arion the Elder getting along with anyone these days... Methinks he'll be headed for a dirt nap.

It'd take an unusual mind to be interested in outdated antiques of spellcraft, eh? I don't doubt there's one or two oddballs in Atlantis who are, though.

And she''s just itching to get down there, isn't she? Not only to help in the fight, but to get a lead on Arion the Elder... She just has to get Zatara moving...

A plausible reason for her to know Cranius. Always helpful to establish an alternate identity...

As long as he doesn't fall prey to 'when all you have is a Hammer...' Man might need to learn proper skills, not just rely on artifacts of power .

And for when you can't, there's always Boom and Hush Tubes. The fun part of knowing a New God...

If he lasts that long. Superheroic adventuring isn't a career with long-term survivability... Unless you've got a little something extra, like Kryptonian powers or a Power Ring.

Good thing he was locked on. Imagine how red his face would be if he ended up at some other battlefield elsewhere on Earth. :p (Yes, I know his power primarily works on intent...)

I can't imagine what the students are learning from Constantine... Besides being an ornery bastard. And that's a handy trick, even if it isn't as smart as she is.

...What happens if your magic gets sent awry? Would she just pop out of existence like a soap bubble, or through some Dreamy fluke, become her own person? That would be amusing...

Circe Used 'Teleport To Ally'! It's on target!

Hmm... Is that Filial love or Eros? I wonder. And that's an amusing trick. Transmuting enemies into cookies? :oops: Okay, Macadam as in road-fill, not macadamia as in the food filling... Which makes me wonder whether she hit them with a banishment for the elemental spirit, or simply smashed them outright... And now I wonder if an Alicorn's enhanced strength applies to her human form, now...

"Or would you like some help?" Though I doubt Circe would put it that way. She knows all too well how fragile a young lady's ego can be, especially in her chosen fields of study...

Well, most of the combat arm of the Light is here, I see. Shade will probably turn up as part of the League's response, and Adom's probably busy over in Kahndaq. Now, how long until Zatara spots her and jumps her on the assumption she's involved?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021