1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's the most recent 2D game if I'm remembering right. A lot of the classic fans seem to find it quite good, but seeing as my experience with the franchise as a whole is limited to some of the least popular games I can't say much more than that on the subject.

ChestBurster and Wheenesss like this.
  2. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I wonder if Zeus decided to just let things go. He's finally rid of Hera and for all that he loves her. He knows that he'll simply keep on hurting her.

Also. She's his sister and they've had plenty of time to try and work things out.

Or you know. He could simply be doing the rational thing and banging whoever his peepee desires. Granted I don't know If Hera will let it go if she sees him go after someone she disapproves of. Her current boyfriend be damned.

Ah Paul. You have inserted yourself into the love lives of the Olympian Pantheon. Prepare for drama.

ChestBurster and Vorian like this.
  3. Assblaster5000

I've just had a though, have any of the Pauls with Captain Cold's tech helped out with things like the Centralia mine fire? That isn't a massive issue on its own, but it dumps a not inconsiderable amount of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and it's not exactly helping the world as-is.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

We have the technology to deal with that in the real world. It's just easier to move people away. But yes, it's a fire and that requires heat.

5. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

‘hydrochlorate’

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Nope. Go and reread Inviolate.

7. linkjames24

linkjames24 Versed in the lewd.

It shouldn't be required to read another story to enjoy this one, right?

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

It's not. The alternate chemical was both brought up, and explained, directly. It is not the original fear chemical, and it's altered name is deliberate.

9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I don't think this is true? At least not if you want to avoid groundwater contamination; the only suggestion I've heard to date is to redirect a river into the mine.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

A river contains a finite amount of water. An equivalent amount of water could be shipped in. Likewise, a large dome could be built over the area and fire-retardant gas pumped in. Both options are far more expensive than buying everyone in the area a new house, but they're both feasible.

11. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

The problem isn't with the source of the water. It's with what happens to the water after it's flowed through the mine. A dome with flame-retardant gas doesn't work either -- the gas would leak out.

12. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I imagine grafting alien parts onto a human because it makes then superior would also be frowned upon.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Is the best Sonic game made this century and yes I know that doesn't sound that great but... just download the demo or something.

14. Assblaster5000

That's... certainly a way of putting it, yes. Though the larger issue for anyone that actually wants to do that is compatibility between them and the alien bits. I'd imagine that if a member of The Biologius wanted to, and didn't care about being a heretic/tek, then it wouldn't be too hard, but most of them probably wouldn't bother.

DAT_NOOB and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Threadmarks: The Other Half (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

12th July 2012
    13:00 GMT -8

Oh-.

I shoot into the sky, colossal construct insects appearing in the streets and grabbing hold of the buildings, both preventing the upper storeys falling and blocking further shots with their bodies as I frantically look around for the attacker! Glass sprays from the superheated glass panes as they explode, my shields only covering-.

I need help. Drones.

Sinestro, confirm alert. Get Iname-

A rainbow beam flickers out of nowhere and one of my constructs vanishes.

-and Knockout.

Your children?

The genomorphs can do bodyguard duty. I need people with resistance to magic. New Gods.

Order sent. Circe would-.

Circe got the same alert I did. She'll come or she won't. Same with Adom. Now try-.

Another rainbow beam, but this time I drop an armoured hull plate out of subspace and the construct being targeted uses it as a shield. It hits dead centre and… Does nothing. Some sort of 'activate when strikes' banishment effect, perhaps?

But if you like magic so much… THIS LAND ABHORS YOU!

I summon a new insectoid, noting as I do so that alarms are ringing and people are fleeing. Good. A couple of members of Uncorp security are trying to direct the mad scramble, but they're mostly being ignored. Keeping one eye on my constructs I fly over, landing forcibly in front of them.

"What's going on?"

A woman with elven ears and a peculiarly angular face shakes her head.

"Damned if I know, Mister Grayven. Was a pretty normal day a minute ago."

"Know where Cranius is?"

The gecko-featured man next to her shrugs helplessly.

"Dude, we're park security. I haven't seen Cranius since my procedure."

BO-

Iname appears before me.

-OM!

"Search and rescue. Go."

She nods, and in a black blur fleeing civilians start disappearing. Knockout appears a moment later, armour glowing and fists balled. She looks excited.

"Knockout. Wizard hunting." "Steel yourself."

"Yes, Grayven." "I'll cast fist!"

No more rainbow rays or lightning blasts, and the screams are dying down as people turn their lungpower to the task of fleeing better. My drones dip in and out of tangibility, removing glass and shooting the injured with healing rays.

Onwards, then.

I take to the air and head for the medical complex, Knockout following me on the ground. As I get above the surrounding building-.

A five metre wide lump of rubble flies through the air, hurtling toward me! Acceleration and probable mass-. I generate a baseball glove construct around my right hand and field it, absorbing the force with my own strength and then-. Yes, ground's been cleared, dropping it to the street below.

The air shimmers as two beams of gamma radiation strike my armour to little effect as I get a clearer view of the entity that's assailing me. It's a humanoid about twenty metres tall and made of dark grey rock, with green-glowing veins of metal running throughout its body. That says 'dumb monster' and 'distraction' to me, but it's still capable of killing plenty of people.

My goggles show it firing into the building at the same time as it's firing at me. Those eye holes are for show. And… Not mentally complex enough to feel fear, but there are plenty of people feeling fear in the building.

I generate a thick cylindrical construct around it, blocking its shots at the entire city. Gamma beams are still coming, but they're bouncing off the interior and either hitting the elemental thing, hitting the ground or heading off into the sky. It responds by raising its hands and shoving outwards, straining against the containment.

Scan it.

The grey blur flashes by and enters the building. Iname is trained in how to handle hospital evacuations and.. should be able to walk off radiation exposure. The radioactive rock creature is straining against my construct but doesn't appear to be strong enough to break it. Which means that if it's important its creator's going to appear in a few seconds and get a face full of purple death ray. And if it's not important then I'm wasting my time. Aberrance has safe storage sites for radioactive materials but they're rather built on the assumption that the radioactive materials won't be actively trying to leave under their own power. And destroying a being like this is likely to be a good deal harder than containing it.

I form a rock crusher construct above it and bring it down forcefully on its head, teeth whirring and grinding. Sure, I could shoot it, but it clearly doesn't have vital organs and appears to be lumps of rock held together with magic. Breaking it apart with brute strength will hopefully prevent whoever made it just feeding it more power.

It doesn't make any noise as it crouches slightly and raises its arms above its head. All that really achieves is to destroy its hands a little faster, but if the radiation beams come from its main trunk that might be worthwhile as a holding action. Ah… Oh, looks like it's trying to melt the ground beneath it. I add a bottom to the container, foiling its effort.

I am mildly pleased that it remains silent as my construct surges down, chewing through what's left of its arms and enveloping its head and upper torso. A spray of rock later and it's done, the broken remains of the creature falling inanimate to the ground. I focus on the lingering fears of the remaining watchers that it might return and transmute the material into blocks of pure silica.

"Grayven to Cranius, please respond."

"Laboratory."

I fly, ignoring the blasted and torn form of the chirurgical centre and the.. horribly burned corpses that were its employees and patients. A surprising number appear to have been decapitated, which implies that there are conventionally sized infantry sword-fetishists around here some-.

And then I see Cranius and realise that I wasn't taking the location into account.

Otto is naked, and attached to his neck, chest, thighs and arms are… Heads. Most appear to be unresponsive, but-.

"Niko?"

She blinks at me as Cranius drags another bleeding head over and readies his chirurgical engine.

"Cranius, what-?"

"I will save all I can! But zhe lunatic threatened to go after zhe insectoids! You must-"

The machine finds an artery, and there's a patter of blood on the floor as Cranius wires in the next head.

"-stop him before he can-"

Shit. Boom tube!

Ping!

"-doom us all!"

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'time I'

By the standards of Aberrance at least.

17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

If this is Arion: wasn't there an Atlantis storyline about mutants? Could it be he returned, had the incredible bad luck of appearing in Aberrant and thinking they had come back or taken over or something?

Also, can I just say how much I appreciate the pragmatism in saving someone's head?

18. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Ahhhhhh~ there's something viscerally satisfying by a good "Doom us all!"

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. mossconfig

mossconfig any "Gregor the Overlander" fans?

Interesting, the implication that apokalips has DnD or that knockout is getting more socialization.

moralrelativity likes this.
  21. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

That is the sweetest, most compassionate and thoughtful Crime against God and Nature I've ever seen.

edit: lol thoughtful

22. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

Using some dude as a makeshift life support mechanism for decapitated heads is certainly a novel use for biomancy.

23. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Godsdamned, the image of Otto as a last resort life support for humanoid heads is not only disturbing, it's... incredibly ingenious and compassionate for Cranius. Only somebody that thinks of flesh and bodies as malleable material or as pieces of Lego does something like that. It doesn't compensate for the image but I definitely like the guy. Between him and The Shade, the new Light has such "good" people.

w34v3r, topin89, zeebza and 11 others like this.
  24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

A largely undirected attack? Or is this destruction just excess from the primary strike? Either way, Aberrance is going to have a lot of clean-up to do, never mind the human casualties. Those would be costlier still.

Hell, call everyone on your side! This is going to be massive.

Oh, hell. Anti-construct magic? That just makes this so much worse.

Admittedly, most of those you ascended haven't the same level of resistance you have, due to their relative spiritual youth. Artemis might be of help here, but she's probably in there already with the Team...

Yes, she does have other things to be doing. Right now she's probably investigating the alert Talbot passed on. Which will probably lead her right here anyway.

Hmm... Would his investment in this town actually cause it to count as a direct part of his territory? Not just in a general 'All of Earth is mine' way, but rather as a 'This is part of my Empire'.

Unfortunately, that mad scramble to flee is probably causing more injuries than the property destruction is...

Normal for Aberrance, anyway. So, normies walking around gawking at the 'freaks' without being too obvious about it, Un-men going about their business, and so forth...

If this is who and what I think it is, he'll have been the target of the attack. So head for the centre of the impact zone...

For those who need reminding, she's basically the local version of the blonde chick (Misa Amane) from Death Note, given super-speed powers, New Godhood and a lolita-goth Deathscythe appearance.

Best option for an otherwise squishy speedster, yes. I do worry that some folks might be concerned by having the Grim Reaper's Japanese fashionista cousin digging them out...

Useful if there's any hostiles in the field. Unfortunately, I suspect she'll be disappointed...

For those interested in a more animated version: Muscle Wizard. And for Darko: Sicarius is an Ass.
    And because I can:

Safe to say the lightning was a one-off strike, then. An old-fashioned smiting by a god, or at least someone with pretensions of such. Hell, they may well be someone freshly decanted from long ago who's assumed that things haven't changed in millennia and a bolt that big would handily kill everyone involved in what they're trying to cover up.

Sometimes the old school is best school for Lantern constructs. I mean, even Paragon has used a giant boxing glove at one point, if I remember right...

An Earth Elemental or similar, formed using irradiated earth from deep below Aberrance? That can't be pleasant to be near... (Though admittedly, I once used a similar concept for a superhero in Champions Online, an Earth spirit with Rock powers who formed his body out of whatever stone was handy when he pops up... And one large part of the Desert map is a radioactive wasteland...)

Got it bottled up nicely. What to do with it, though? Tossing it away simply puts the problem somewhere else, it won't solve it...

Then again, if you destroy the corporeal shell it's inhabiting, it may disappear back to whatever elemental plane it came from. Hopefully without any hard feelings.

Surprised you didn't do that in the first place. What if it had been able to swim through stone? Still, making gravel out of it should help.

Now, to see what Cranius did to earn such ire from the elemental's master. My bet: An autopsy on the anonymised Young Arion.

Grayven... Think. Where are you? And just which unconventional biologist are you coming to rescue?

...Alive? Heh. I'm reminded of Schlock Mercenary, where decapitating and stasis-bagging dying people's heads in a legitimate way of keeping them, if not alive, at least restorable. At least, before they introduced a nano-tech immortality treatment...

The lady has seen some shit. And that's 'shit' by Aberrance standards, mind you!

If Darko's right and that means the Arcane-created insectoid warforms, that's bad. 'Call in the entire combat-ready membership of the Light' bad.

Cranius is a damn good doctor. He will save them, even if he has to spend the next few weeks making new bodies for them once things calm down.

Was the last bit delivered in a shrill scream? It just isn't the same without the shrill rise of pitch and volume.

Well, whoever's behind this (Arion the Elder!) has earned themselves a solid beating. And then, (assuming Grayven still has the Sword of the First and Second) a quick depowering rebirth.. You do not mess with Grayven's minions.. allies. Bur first priority is stopping the insectoid super-soldiers from rampaging. Damn, Arion the Elder hasn't appeared on screen once yet (if it even is him, but we can safely bet it is,) and he's already pissing off the Hero.

Godspeech!

25. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Grayven, you officially have no right to shit on Jordan after this. What's next? A baseball bat? No wait, you'd probably use a cricket bat.

Insectoids? Why are they so scary to warrant 'oh shit!' from Grayven?

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think they were a weapon made by Arcane, so they're bioweapons.

27. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I know Renegade's influence has led to relatively less innovation in Genomorph design and evolution, but between his alliances with Cranius and Venturia (and thus Atlantean biomancy), I feel like there would have been some productive collaboration on the front of arcano-biological development, even if it's just existing types of Genomorph gaining arcane capabilities. Has Cranius not expressed any interest at all in Genomorphs?

This also leads me to wonder how secure the Kryptonian-unicorn guy is in the Renegade timeline.

Also, have all the G-Oni in the Paragon timeline been accounted for, or are some still at large and waiting to pull a Starro and suddenly show up in a future episode? Paragon has a functional relationship with Mammon now, so that seems like something he could help with.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

As well as a disturbing devotion to a sociopathic character.

Thanks.

Ehh, in the pre n52 comics it wouldn't be such a pretension since Arion was a demigod and a Lord of Order.

If it works then the shape doesn't matter.

We know Arion is an asshole so he may just consider the Unmen to not be real people and feels no remorse for them.

He may find the time doing it to be pleasant.

Assuming it even works on him.

We know it can work on magical entities, but Arion is just a powerful magic user.

zeebza and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Didn't Artemis shoot that into the sun?

30. gattsuru

gattsuru Making the rounds.

Last Seen Here. Not dangerous to Renegrayven directly, but hideously infectious transmutative agents, to the point where they made even his spit into unman-stuff.