1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Germline.

2. Mr Zoat

I don't mind where you put it or how many you use, but please use some.

3. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Versed in the lewd.

Sorry about that i have hopefully fixed it up.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think the existence of the Speed Force in either YJ canon or this fic was ever confirmed.

In fact I think the guys behind the Young Justice cartoon may not have even been aware of it existing.

The Awakening Wally experienced increased his power and got rid of the negative side effects of his previous powers, like the need to eat a lot of food.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the Speed Force exists here.

The Awakening process also fixed a lot of the issues the other Team members had, like Kaldur losing his aquatic parts like the gills and webbed fingers, as well as Artemis, and possibly any other female members, no longer having a period.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Versed in the lewd.

You are correct in that the speed force isnt YJ canon but that doesn't really matter in the end. Because this isnt strictly an canon Young justice world with the multiverse existing. Meaning that this world is connected to the actual dc multiverse which would imply that the speed force exists just with that alone.
    Other beings that Mr.zoat has added over the years like the Endless and the Dreaming which are Multi versal beings and places also help. Don't forget that he made Max Mercury a thing Who explicitly Uses the speed force to travel thru time.

But really untill we get a yes or a no from Mr.zoat I'm going to go with that it exist until he says otherwise. which is what i remember him saying in the beginning. I checked and its on the first page under the cover picture of this story i don't know if his opinion has changed since then or not

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Doing a job and getting paid.
    If they knew Paul was going to be in the area with a singularity canon construct they would have demanded hazard pay.

Really because I find it quite liberating, no moral constraints, make your own hours, Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women.
    then after a refreshing day of slaughter and causing torment I kick back at home, grab some cold drinks & Snacks then see whats streaming on tv.

Well until some callow youth barges in and wrecks my 72 inch plasma screen TV screaming about how I killed their father.
    I killed my father too and you don't here me whining about it!

"ok who the hell are you and how did you get here? "

My Buddy Kalmin said you were looking for people to help kick in the teeth of the Reach, sounds like fun.

"You're a friend of Kalmin, Since when does Kalmin have friends?"

I bring the Beer he lends me prototype weapons and we both get a laugh at the destruction that results.

" Seriously?"

Ok I laugh and he just mumbles while jotting down notes.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Ngamer11, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'supposed'

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

have

Ah, the smug feeling-.
    Is now gone.

9. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I get how that applies to most Orange Lanterns, but the Illustress has managed to completely bridge the ends-means divide when it comes to wanting stuff. He wants the Reach gone -> he wants to probe the Reach's weak points -> he wants to see how they react to mass scanning -> he wants his ring to perform a mass scanning action.

ChestBurster and Xmaster3000 like this.
  10. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Edited and glad to bring some cheer into your day.

*Sad Trombone*

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  11. Threadmarks: Onslaught (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

25th August 2012
    01:12 GMT

"Contact Green Lantern Harold Jordan."

"Compliance."

In retrospect, perhaps crushing every ship into scrap wasn't the best idea. The data core recorded that the Free Lancers had visited and that the machine shops had been more active after their visit, but there's no record of what they were making. I was focused on scanning their weapons, shields and engines and I didn't notice anything out of specification, but… I doubt they were visiting for a natural history lesson.

Jordan's face appears.

"What's this I hear about you stealing that power ring?"

"Lantern K'ryssma wasn't being honest with me, so I wanted Controller Hinon to take a look at it." I shrug. "She wasn't all that impressed. Apparently it's an attempt to rework the whole power ring-."

"I don't need to know that. I trust the Guardians. If it's not ready to be deployed, then it's not ready. But if she's finished playing around with it, then I'd like it back."

"Shouldn't be a problem. I'll ask when I see her."

Jodran nods in acknowledgement. "I suppose I should just be glad the Reach didn't get it."

"They did briefly get it. Turns out that Scarab Warriors don't make particularly good Lanterns. I'll send you my-. Hang on."

Ring, send him the recording of my fight.

Compliance.

"My recording should be with you now. Look, I need to ask you something else about that whole situation."

"What's that?"

"Despite not having a power ring to offer them, the Free Lancers are still working with the Reach. They visited one of their fleets a little while ago. I don't know what they did, but when you were in their general vicinity, did you notice anything worth mentioning?"

"Ah… I don't think so. They used combat robots but they weren't anything special." He frowns. "Oh, and Chance had a gun that can drain the energy out of constructs."

Juah-!

"That's somewhat significant, Lantern Jordan."

"Sure, but you've been destroying constructs with those crumbler things for over a year now."

"Yes, but the Reach doesn't know how to make them. If the Free Lancers shared that technology… We've got to go on the offensive right away. We can't let them work out how to work it into their strategies." I exhale somewhat sharply. "Is there anything else you'd like to tell me?"

"Ahh… No, I don't think-. Look, I'm sorry. I've run into so much weird technology that it didn't really stand out at the time, and this was.. years ago."

"Don't worry about us, worry about you." He frowns, puzzled. "The peace with the Reach was never going to be a permanent thing. The Reach now has the design for shutting down-. Can you just send me the file?"

"Yeah, sure. Why exactly should I be worried?"

"Peace between the Green Lantern Corps and the Reach can't last. But they aren't just going to declare war on you one day, or try sending Scarab Warriors after isolated Lanterns. They're going to sell the technology to anyone who wants it. Below cost. For now they're going to be focusing on retrofitting their ships to fight us, but once they've got the production line set up they're going to make sure that every space capable enemy your Corps ever fights has one."

"And you're sure our treaty doesn't cover that?"

"The wording of your treaty has been studied by the Controllers at length. If they don't use it themselves, there's nothing stopping them selling to whoever they want. You can arrest weapon merchants who sell in violation of local law, but there's nothing that would trigger a war in there."

He clenches his jaw. "God damn. I guess I'm going to have to start wearing armour after all."

"And not before time, but that's not all. Did you ever copy Guy and start using that Halla stun pistol thing? Because you can dodge to save your environmental shield, but any ship with decent flak can shoot out your offensive constructs."

"This is a whole can of worms…" He sighs. "I'll send you the recording, but I'm going to need to talk to the Guardians about… Everything."

"Tell Earth's other Lanterns first. Alan needs to get over his aversion to armour. Maybe Dame Carol can give you all some pointers. Or you can wait for me to come back, but I.. think I'm going to be here for a while."

"Do they know where Earth is?"

"Not as far as I know. But between me and that fleet there's a trail. I mean, the way I normally move isn't easy to trace and the fleet took reasonable precautions, but…"

"Great. Great."

"N.E.M.O. has very effective anti-infiltration strategies if you want a look. And that L.E.G.I.O.N. fleet hanging around two eight one four has an unlimited licence to hunt down and kill anything associated with the Reach, so if a Reach 'trade' mission does turn up you can just clue them in and then turn around."

"Right. I'll get on that. Jordan out."

His face vanishes.

And I scream, very quietly.

"Aaaaaaaaggghh…"

Deep breath in. Deep breath out.

Ring, mess… Message to Clarissi Dox. I can't-. I need to confirm this is actually happening before going crazy-. Oh, there's Jordan's file of Chance shooting him in the middle of a Lantern versus Lantern fight and shutting his ring down. Yes, thank you Jordan, that would have been helpful to know.

Message… Ah, 'new information from Lantern Jordan indicates that the Reach may be deploying a highly effective anti-construct weapon, recommend all Lanterns move to fully sealed armour, more information to follow'. Send.

Compliance.

I sigh, then walk into the strategy room where Lantern Threllian is studying a display of his people's fleet.

"Let me guess: they've remodelled."

"There has been a number of changes when compared to the pre-conquest ships my people used. They appear to have more rapid-traverse anti-attack craft batteries, though they might be an adaptation to fighting Lanterns."

I nod. "I'm going to assume that they are. Anything else?"

"My people have had gravity shielding for several centuries. Your singularity beam might still work if you focused on it, but I wouldn't recommend relying on it. Similarly, our interdiction systems are better than what the juluuni use, as are our sensors and… Everything else."

"Marvellous."

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  12. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Oh. Crap.

Let's just hope that weapons uses some unobtainium stuff in short supply, or things will get nasty.

And the Guardians did not take note of this and tried for countermeasures? Really? Damn bobbleheads.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think either paragon or renegade encountered something like this when they went to Vega.

And if I remember correctly it also drained their assimilated constructs.

The negative side of getting used to too much weird shit.

Assuming they give a crap about the treaty by that point.

14. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Oh, John... You poor, poor man.

On a brighter side, I think it's time the OLC starts imploding stars. Or find a way to just start throwing solar systems under Reach control into the Source Wall. I mean, I seem to remember that GL's could pull planets. I'm sure if Paul wanted it hard enough, he could grab an entire system.

15. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

GL's tend to be more powerful than sane OL's. Paul is more likely to do more complicated then more brute force.

16. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Except obviously not, because otherwise it would shorten to
    He wants the Reach gone. -> The Reach are gone.

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yes, definitely a good idea to get in touch with someone who's had more contact with the Free Lancers. Hopefully he'll have some idea of what they were after here... Or what the Reach was after from them.

The downside of the juluuni compartmentalisation, I suppose. That's got to be frustrating.

Why, yes, good to see you too, Harold. Moving on to more recent matters...

And maybe add a note about installing security features even on models not expected to leave the laboratory...

:oops: Well, about that...

Thankfully, Scarabs don't seem to be the most creative of costruct-makers. That one seemed to focus on it as a power source more than anything.

Now, back to the important things.

Anything at all?

...<facepalm> Good gods, I want to reach through the screen and throttle him right now...

That's Earth Bullshit™. This is something local, and more than likely reproducible.

...I'm straining all I can... Dammit, Jordan...

Because you still don't wear any kind of secondary defensive equipment? Even Stewart is sensible enough to know how useful armour is.

Like the Reach wouldn't have weaselled all manner of loopholes into the wording of the treaty? Like the whole 'subversion from within' angle of their 'acquisitions'.

:rolleyes: You think? Better learn backup weaponry too, because sooner or later...

A long overdue talk, I suspect.

...Why do I feel like this will end up with Alan wearing his 'Kingdom Come' suit of armour? Not that that's a bad thing, it's a great look.

And given how much you've poked them, OL, I can see them wanting to investigate the homeworld of the Orange Illustres...

Come on, man, you get to keep your own hands clean. You're a soldier, right, you know some people just need killing. Don't be such a downer about it.

Hey, set your environmental field right, you can be as loud as you like.

Thank goodness for Enlightenment, because I would not fault him for being laden with rage right now.

And promptly, Dox joins him in screaming externally, very very quietly. And cursing stupid Green Lanterns... Why, he might even get two letters worth of Red...

Welp, the problem's been passed up the chain of command, time to get back on task. And stop wanting to throttle Jordan for being a forgetful dumbass.

Hopefully the Free Lancers haven't been here yet. But knowing OL's protagonist luck...

Oh, this day just keeps on giving, doesn't it?

Well, that's a whole new can of worms. Thankfully, OL's passed the buck onto those who should be able to work out countermeasures. After all, he's still got work to do on this mission. Though I foresee his next job being hunting down the Free Lancers, finding out where Chance got this anti-spectrum gun, and whether it works on colours other than green.

18. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Do we have an image of what Dame Carol is supposed to look like? Her initial appearance in the story doesn't have an image link as far as I can see, and seeing a Knight-themed Lantern would be cool.

Jordan should have access to the same files that Guy does, but doesn't seem to have taken the chance to fully brief himself on Guardian history. It's understandable since it could affect his convictions and thus his effectiveness as a Lantern, but in the long-run I think that knowing the full context of things and striving to be better than the past could strengthen his willpower.

The Free Lancers remaining free seems like it's more trouble than its worth, though I'm sure they're slippery enough not to have actually violated any relevant laws in their travels, so taking action against them would set a significant precedent.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And that's assuming they even try to maintain any pretense of sticking to the deal, now that they can potentially beat the GLC.

Technically I don't think he was ever a soldier.

I know he had a career in the military, but I think it was just as a test pilot.

And Green Lanterns are cops.

Plus even if he has killed people before that doesn't mean he has to like it or accept it.

20. MagnumForce

MagnumForce Making the rounds.

Back when they first appeared I had a feeling the Free Lancers should have been "dealt with" before they became a problem again. Guess I wasn't too harsh nor paranoid?

21. Mr Zoat

Harold Jordan's name isn't John.
    It would, wouldn't it?

Sadly, I don't.
    In this story he was briefly a military test pilot before being drummed out of the service.

22. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

I suppose you could look at Kingdom Come Alan and think 'pink and feminine'.

ChestBurster, Mike-kenobi and DrThoth like this.
  23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If you look up the enemies of the Crime Syndicate in the DC wiki, I'm pretty sure there is a group shot that has Dame Carol in it.

24. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

So the Reach actually getting effective anti-Lantern specialized weapons would be an escalation, but honestly them actually taking the war seriously and using their own fleets in defence of their clients(I'm not sure whether they've actually gotten into the territory of Reach clients yet or whether they're still fighting outside of technically-reach territory), would be an escalation all of its own.

I've got a bunch of wonders: is Paul going to have to study the physics of how every type of defence works so he can keep adapting his attack constructs to beat better Reach defence systems?
    It sounds like the sort of thing where a super-genius would find it effortless to keep adapting new methods to flexibly crush new defences, but everyone else might struggle to figure out which tool to use without draining their rings trying to brute-force the issue.

I'm also still spreading my reading outwards from the snippets I'd previously read in non-chronological order, but the way it's been mentioned that Paul's tattoos are absorbing magic energy from every new magically active world he runs into, and the way that the Grayven version ended up as a New God, makes me wonder whether every Paul that's ever gotten a set of Constantine-designed tattoos is gradually ascending to godhood as they pick up more magic energies over time.

RamiroGalletti likes this.
  25. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Not enough power throughput capacity.

I'm not saying that the Illustress should be definitely capable of simultaneously scanning all Reach assets. Just that Ranx and MoM shouldn't be better than him if they are only using the ring to do the actual scanning.

26. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

I have heard about test pilots being employed by the military/air forces, aircraft manufacturers, research establishments and airlines. Airline test pilots are sometimes not included in "test pilots" probably because their job is seen as less sexy than the other three versions. Today test pilots are aeronautical engineers that are also pilots, but I'm not certain that's always true for those who's careers started before WWII.

Military test pilots start as military pilots, add aeronautical engineering and today go to one of three test pilot schools. (Before those schools were started it was less formal: military pilot, study aeronautical engineering, have good references and apply) They're the iconic "test pilot", but most of their job is a lot less glamorous: Taking up aircraft that has had major service for a check out is one thing I know they often do.
    (Note that Chuck Yeager actually didn't study aeronautical engineering in order to become a test pilot: He had been an aircraft mechanic before being accepted in flight school and this ment he got assigned to do the unglamorous thing I mentioned: test flying repaired aircraft.)

Test pilots employed by aircraft manufacturers are probably most often ex-military pilots but not necessarily. This is the most applicable case for Hal Jordan since he works for Ferris Aircraft.

NASA employs test pilots. Supposedly most or all are ex-military. Most even were test pilots in the military, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Lockheed example in the links above could have moved to NASA if he had wanted to.

(Airline test pilots: Airline pilots who have studied aeronautical engineering. Used to be most airline pilots were ex-military, but that changed and today most of them go to civilian flight schools that specialize in teaching airline pilots.)

So Hal Jordan, working for Ferris Aircraft, is probably an ex-military pilot. Since the holy Status-Quo of DC does strange things to the passage of time it is hard to tell where in history he fits. Going from publication history I would guess Hal Jordan was a military pilot in Korea, got demobilized, studied aeronautical engineering, and got hired by Ferris Aircraft. (Ceasefire '53, 4-5 years in university, 2-3 years working as a test pilot, Silver Age GL started publishing in 1960).

He's demobilized. He's gotten a civilian job that is not even in law enforcement:)

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

It's really more like Morrowind-style glass armour.

28. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Give those recordings to the controllers ASAP. Hopefully they can come up with a counter-measure.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

See? This is why I stopped caring about Oh El once he went to war with the Reach.

Edit: And now he put Earth in danger, good job!

Doccer likes this.
  30. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I’m afraid I don’t get your point.