1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  2. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

He's very utilitarian in a specific way (which can result in horrifyingly callous behavior from the viewpoints of other ethical systems), and probably thinks that he's an Apocalyptan by now, which makes it worse. Also, he fairly recently spent decades or more as a conqueror and ruler on a dying Far Future Earth.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  3. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

A planet under a civil war. Sounds like they could use a little CONQUEST

4. Threadmarks: Medidiction (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

26th August 2012
    22:49 GMT

"…car journey, we'd compete to spot pubs and then score points based on the number of legs on the heraldry."

Lantern Xor nods, taking in this information fairly impassively. I suppose that he doesn't have anything to compare it to, his own childhood having been spent almost entirely in state orphanages or the Warhound training centre. Though… I know from my medical scans that he retains sexual function and virility, so perhaps he's storing it away for when he has children?

Lantern Onik on the other hand looks fascinated.

"Are all hostelries on your homeworld owned by the nobility?"

"No. In fact, very few are. It just became tradition at some point for public houses to identify themselves with a logo rather than call themselves by the owner's name or just plain 'pub'. How does Karax handle it?"

"Most businesses would use a word to identify what sort of business they were, and then put something more abstract after it."

"So, Pub Coach and Horses rather than The Coach and Horses."

He looks puzzled. "No, Great Master. Not unless it was on a coach behind the horses. More like: Pub Third Canto."

"And that would be a pub that had live music?"

He nods. "Usually. Or it might refer to the themes of a particular third canto. Green Lanterns tend to be direct and literal, and see those characteristics as virtues."

I nod. "So your people do as well. I suppose I hadn't fully appreciated-"

I end the warp and drop my three passengers back into normal space at the limit of Karax's home system.

"-what sort of changes that would bring about in the long term. So what's the best way to get in touch?"

"Oh,-" Lantern Onik shakes his head. "-no, Lanterns are free to fly directly to the planet."

"Am I supposed to announce myself?"

"Not to the government, though it would be a good idea to keep the population informed."

"So I should hold a press conference or give an interview?"

"You could, but on Karax we have something called 'social media', wherein individuals broadcast information to the public at large-."

"Yes, I know what social media is. I just don't think it's anything like as important as is sometimes assumed. So I just… What, create an account and post that I've arrived?"

"A few images would be the usual way to introduce yourself. If-?"

"I can manage, thank you. Smile, everyone."

Xor takes that as an order, and… Actually, that's better than I thought it would be. Onik manages a slightly worried smile while Lantern Dul makes an effort to scowl less.

Right, pick an 'alien visitors' server, apply appropriate search tags, upload images and basic biographies and… Would like to meet…

"Okay, done. How-?"

Green Lantern Graf Toren appears a short distance from us, and I raise my right hand in greeting.

"Lantern Toren."

"Illustres. Why are you here?"

"I want to learn more about how mortal creatures like us are changed by using power rings. And to learn from the most capable teachers of Lanterns in the galaxy."

He watches me for a moment, green bands of energy rotating around his right hand.

"Are you aware of any Reach presence here?"

"No. Though I haven't looked."

"You are… Simply here to learn."

"I might also do some tourism? Is..? This a problem?"

He glances at Onik for a moment as he considers.

"Would you accept me showing you around?"

"Is there something you don't want me to see?"

"You have acquired a reputation as a disruptive influence, and Karax is going through a period of religious turbulence. I am concerned about what the result would be if a significant number of people tried to adopt your philosophy without the necessary depth of understanding."

"That's pretty reason.. able…" I frown. "Ah. I… Assume that I was responsible for that turbulence?"

"No. The existence of your Corps is exacerbating it, but it is Sinestro who was the root cause."

Oh. Right. He'd basically be Karax-Lucifer, wouldn't he? The brightest star in the Corps, only to fall and find some alternate power to the green light he'd had for his whole career.

"I suppose there's no problem with limiting our exposure. Do you have somewhere in mind?"

"The abbot of my monastery has offered to accommodate you and your fellow Orange Lanterns. Our records are extensive, and our teachings have produced many highly effective Green Lanterns."

I smile.

"Sounds like a good place to start. Anything we need to know before we arrive?"

"We're going to a monastery. It's over eight hundred years old. I expect you and your companions to treat it with respect."

"And the monks?"

"The monks are students of the green light. We are not easily turned from our path. Most of them would enjoy discussing your philosophy with you."

"Good show. Are any of your predecessors still around?"

"On Karax, we consider a power ring to be a lifetime calling."

"There's no shame in being invalided out, but, okay."

"It's not a matter of shame for failure, but having touched the green light… I can't imagine life without it. I assume that they felt the same."

"A monastery is the last place I expected to hear 'It's better to burn out than fade away.'"

"'Burning out' is an act of will; a triumph of focus over instinct. We go to our deaths embracing the green light."

Lantern Xor nods approvingly. "I respect your attitude. I think that I will like it here."

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And I'm betting his girlfriend is very pleased with that.

And they are nice characteristics.

That's putting it mildly.

He was probably the first known case of someone wielding another type of power ring.

This may not be fo easy for Paul.

6. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

That social media site about alien visitors... was that a local tinder equivalent?

7. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

A Fallen son, the best of his kind, prideful, rebellious, and a hell of grudge against his superiors to the point he dedicates his life to proving them wrong, cast off to a realm of suffering wherein he flourished and re-emerges with powers opposed to those he had before?

Yeah, I’d say he fits.

8. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

To be honest before that link I’d kind of forgotten that Young Justice was an actual show

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul may become VERY popular if that thing with the Spider Queen is revealed.

10. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

That whole plotline was so inane and obviously trying too hard or clumsily to be topical (no further detail since this probably already skirts the Rule). I guess the Outsiders needed public support for funding (or at least to provide a legitimate reason for Goodness to fund them) but it did seem a bit petty; beside changing public opinion or informing them, I don't remember any tangible impact it had on reducing metahuman trafficking.

I know it's unlikely for Sinestro to show up here, but I can't help but hope. I expect Paragon will want to go at least a few places his Green Lantern guide would rather he didn't. I do wonder if there's a secret heretical breakway cult dedicated to the yellow light lurking around, and the discussion of Seven Devils cultists is meant to call us back to that possibility.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh, a patently British form of 'I Spy'. I mean, practically every small village would have its own pub, with its' own characterful signage. I take it the journey hasn't taken all that long, however. And I doubt 'I Spy' would be so easy to play when everything is flashing past at hundreds of times the speed of light. :p

I mean, I'm sure he and his comrades had their own transport rituals. Especially on the shuttles for combat deployments. Assuming it didn't involve checking each other's gear and weapons for condition, among other things. Pre-battle songs, maybe?

Alas, Heraldry in this context isn't the kind used by nobles... Though I expect they shared a lot of iconic imagery.

Hence how you get names like 'The Prancing Pony' Or 'The Pig and Whistle'...

Sounds unwieldy. And on a planet this religiously inclined, I expect names like 'Bar of the Brewer's Precepts' or 'Club Anchorite's Bower'...

Ah... How mundane. I mean, I'm sure there must be a healthy amount if night-life activities. They can't all be cloistered monks, after all. Though I guess most places aren't expected to see a lot of tourists.

Just in case they have interdicted space closer in, eh? Would be rude to blast right into orbit.

With entirely no government contact? Sure, Greenies would be trustworthy by nature of their selection, but that still seems risky.

...To minimise disruption to public gatherings, I would assume. I rather expect any serving Lantern would likely be mobbed by well-wishers...

...Because of course they do. Any culture with a sufficiently open infosphere would develop something like that.

Heh. I wonder if cape-spotting sites are especially popular on Earth. Amusingly, any internet-savvy villain could probably use sightings to plan their own attacks. Hear Superman's out of the country? Great time to head out.

Well, at least an effort was made. Guess she's still salty about Xor's comments.

...Please tell me you at least made sure you weren't uploading to a dating site or worse, OL. I shudder to imagine the responses you'll get anyway, though.

Heh, Ngamer11 was right, we did get to meet the local lawman. Now, is he expecting trouble or is this just a courtesy call?

Smooth, OL. Like buttah. Not that a Lantern is supposed to acknowledge compliments like that...

Could be a bit awkward is a Reach assassination attempt was made all the way out here. Though they'd be a hell of a way from home space...

He sounds surprised. Is OL's reputation that bad amongst the Green Corps?

'Can I count on a fellow Karaxian to keep him from making too much trouble?' Probably what he's thinking right now. Honestly, Onik could manage it, too. OL definitely appears inclined to respect local knowledge here...

...Because OL would jump straight to that...

An understandable assumption, given he basically fostered a second galactic Corps. Are there people burning him in effigy as some manner of chromatic infidel?

Ah, that's kind of a relief. Although, it's not like having Orange Lanterns hanging around would calm things down...

...Would it be a good idea to remove his social media posts, then? If word gets out that the monastery has Orange Lanterns in residence... All manner of folk with ideas might be attracted...

No vows of silence for the duration? Mixed company's fine, or will Dul have to find another location to visit?

I hope they're allowed alcohol, at least. I suspect more than a few will want a drink after a few chats with OL.

So, any moral dishonour in retiring? Or is it more of a 'Die with your ring on, or die in shame' thing?

To be fair, have many done the same for the Orange Light? Besides our fine Coluan friend, Ms Gozzi, earlier... I can see it being a little addictive...

Heh. Live in the moment, die for a good reason and all that.

Well, then. Let's hope things don't get out of hand thanks to OL's newfound local social media presence. Bet they'll be mobbed in any public appearances they make unless they go deep incognito, though. And I find myself wondering how many people are looking at the Orange and the Green (and Sinestro's Yellow) and thinking 'Hey, wait... I'm seeing a pattern here...'

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They may not necessarily be celibate like Earth monks.

Though I'm betting their taught to resist carnal impulses through force of will, not to necessarily reject them entirely, but just so that they're not ruled by them.

Given the religious nature of this planet, questioning religious authority, which the Lanterns technically are, might be considered sinful.

I think a scowl is her default expression.

And if the spider thing got out...

With Paul trouble is always following.

Just because something appears a certain way that doesn't necessarily make it true.

Well some union people on Earth were burning effigies.

I'm reminded of a scene in Monk in which a guy that's taken a vow of silence and kept it up for a decade breaks it after a few minutes of dealing with Adrian's antics.

13. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

"Meet hot single Lanterns in your Sector!"

I wonder which light would make for the best lovers?

Violett seems like the obvious choice, but emotional closeness does not necessarioly translate into good sex.

Orange Lanterns would be insatiable, Red Lanterns rough, Green ones focused with lots of stamina...

I don't think Yellow, Blue or Indigo would be all that great tbh.

Sex powered by Hope sounds...just sad.

14. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

That's what tentacle constructs are for.

15. Mr Zoat

Could be worse.

16. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Xor, you don’t have to try anymore buddy, you’re already my favorite lantern and are at least as amazing as Kilowog in long-time IRL Lantern fanatics’ eyes. Someday you’ll hit the level of Kilowog’s teacher.

Hope is a strange emotion, especially when conflated with faith like it is in DC. I suppose… being fulfilled when your partner(s) are meeting their own high expectations for performance, behavior, emotional control, etc? I know that sounds clinical, but some people can feel quite deeply in response to such narrow, yet complex circumstances (as opposed to shrugging off opportunities to care about one’s self or one’s partner).

Yellow I’d connect with one’s own fears. Perhaps the heart-racing excitement about risk of getting caught having sex? Primal excitement from similar situations. Though for the yellow ring bearer, they might need to reeeeeallly think about all the ways intercourse could go terribly wrong. And when you have a power ring, a lot of problems can be cut off or outright prevented with a small amount of effort. Maybe if the yellow lantern grew up in a prudish society where great swathes of sexual activity were outlawed and branded heretical, therefore they always have a bunch of fears running through his/her mind? Hmm.

Indigo I could easily connect to “hippies” and “free spirits” of a dozen varieties. “Sex is part of what makes us act like the best versions of ourselves, sure I can spread wide for you, let’s have some fun.” I really butchered that but the core of it comes through- free love and caring about others, regardless of our origins or histories, seems more like DC compassion than Love.

17. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Mr Zoat

What's the name of Paul's book and who is listed as the author? IIRC Paul can't actually consciously print the word "Paul" on the cover.

Otto von Saurion and Xmaster3000 like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul has had the ring say his name for introductions, so he could have ordered it to also write it in the books.

19. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Even then, I doubt the book just says "by Paul" and he hasn't ever recovered his surname. We just know that it might be something along the lines of Chandler.

Cuchulin and Otto von Saurion like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It was confirmed to be Tallowin.

And he may not need to use a last name, at least in outer space.

There are probably alien species whose members only have one name, so it may not be that strange for the books author to have nothing approaching a last or middle name.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Not quite sure this is meant to be past tense. Unless it came up in the travel timeskip discussion we just witnessed the end of, I don't remember any mention before the chapter that Paul was aware of the 'turbulence' going on. Would it be 'Assume' or "I'm... Assuming" or such?

22. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Is there a WTR discord server?

23. Mr Zoat

If there is, I didn't create it and don't take part in it.
    Thank you, corrected.

24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Indigo would be fantastic for the partner. What better than compassion to make sure that it feels good for them? To share in the feelings?

Xmaster3000, Vorian, Ngamer11 and 3 others like this.
  25. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Want to make one?

26. Mr Zoat

No. I don't like Discord and have a perfectly good forum here.

27. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

This. Don't fragment the community.

28. Threadmarks: Medidiction (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

27th August 2012
    02:33 GMT

I look around the ravaged cityscape.

This… Why would any version of me do this?

Nearby, Artemis is kneeling, running her hand along the concrete. No doubt it's very informative, but… "This is fruitless unmaking."

She looks around, her hand still running over the hardened ground. Read the Traces.

"You knew he was a bad guy."

"That's not the point. The version of me I met on Earth Fifty was a bad guy. He killed and he conquered, but he was still me. He was still trying to build something. What's-. Built here?!"

Kanto née Iluthin is looking through some sort of local data recorder, one of the few pieces of advanced technology on this planet.

"A hole in the ground, I'd say. A statement, perhaps?"

"If I had to send two New Gods with hunting and stalking skills to find it, then who exactly was it supposed to be a statement for?"

"Unless he knew that you would send us?"

I shake my head. "Deliberately destroying something without a benefit… He'd be making himself weaker. This place… They were trapped by Avleb's Wall, their world lacking enough fossil fuels to fully industrialise when they reached the level of technology where that would usually happen. He could have worked wonders here."

"Charcoal burning was a major industry, and of course their elites had generators bought from off-world."

I shake my head. "At some point in the future, I'd love to come to a world like this, just for the challenge of raising it up. Did they take anything?"

Artemis shakes her head. "Nothing stolen. Some of their machinery is damaged, but as far as we can tell that's just because there was a fight there. Ingots of metal were left stacked where they were."

"And the people?"

"There are signs of a fight." She points at a wall. "There are three musket rounds embedded in that wall. Plenty more places like that. Just no people. Or animals."

"Did he kill them?"

"It's not just that they aren't alive anymore. They're gone. I haven't even found any blood stains."

Kanto looks contemplative. "And it is not easy to kill an entire planetary population without shedding blood." Believe me, I've tried.

"Nanotechnology?"

"Buildings still stand, plants still live and bones still rest in graveyards. Nanotech weapons are seldom that discriminating."

Artemis nods. "And there aren't any inert machines left on the ground from after they finished."

"Dragged off as slaves? Slavery is pretty common amongst gordanian clans."

She shakes her head. "No residue from any kind of knockout gas. There was a fight here, and no blood got spilled? I don’t buy it."

How many people was it? When humans had this level of technology the total population of Earth was less than a billion, but they've been-. They were at this level for longer. Knowledge spread out, rather than being concentrated in a few places. Still, they lacked the capacity to create truly dense urban regions. Call it… Three billion? Still a… Lot of people.

"There are robots that can capture people like that." Kanto strokes his beard. It's shorter than it was. He originally grew it because Darkseid told him to, then shaved it off shortly after we resurrected his wife. Turns out that she rather liked it, and… Since New Gods don't age much past thirty, it was a sign that time hadn't just stopped for him after she died. "But we haven't found treads or tracks or signs from anti-gravity devices, nor fuel residue in the air."

Artemis looks at him. "You think he's got some kinda god-power that lets him go all Pied Piper of people?"

I shake my head.

"He could have disintegrated them with the Omega Effect, but it would take a very long time to do it to this many people. Any sign of a boom tube?"

"No, but he might just use a hush tube like you do."

Another shake on my part. "That would conceal the aperture itself, but it wouldn't conceal Grayven himself. You'd be able to feel him."

She frowns. "Does he.. feel like you?"

"I don't know. I only spoke to him once. Grayven Fifty did. Someone who could depopulate a world… I don't know."

Artemis closes her eyes. Read the Traces.

"Kanto, do-." I stop myself. "Do you prefer 'Kanto' or 'Iluthin'?"

"Given the work we are engaged in, I think 'Kanto' is appropriate. Though you should feel free to greet me as 'Iluthin' when we play our mortal roles." He holds up the data recorder. "We'll get nothing out of this, I'm afraid. Whoever these people were, they didn't record day-to-day occurrences here."

"There's… Something…" Artemis opens her eyes, frowning. "I can feel something. It doesn't feel like you, but... Mother Box, hush tube."

Oh marvellous. If Grayven has other New Gods supporting him then this is going to get a lot harder.

Artemis rises and.. gingerly stalks towards the aperture, stopping every few steps to listen to the flows of the universe with her godly senses. I can't feel much of anything, which implies to me that this wasn't an example of Grayven brute forcing it… But it's not as if I've studied his work in detail.

I follow her, Kanto bringing up the rear. She leads us through the portal and out into another part of the planet, another town. This one is on the shore of a lake, but I… Don’t otherwise see anything particularly…

Ruler's Presence.

I nod as Artemis accelerates, dashing through the streets towards.. a watchtower of some kind. Someone was here, someone with authority… Did they try hiding their government here? They couldn't supply settlements over a certain size and it's not an unpleasant place to live.

Artemis waves from the top of the watchtower.

"I've found something!"

I nod and trigger my aero-discs, rapidly flying up to her. "What is it?"

"Someone was standing…" She walks to a position with a good view of the lake. "Here. Looking that way. The shape of their feet and the way they balanced was wrong for the locals. And there's a small amount of residue on the ground from a material the locals don't make."

"Off-world visitor?"

"Yeah, but it's more than that. I can feel them."

I nod. "I felt the presence of someone important, but I can't tell more about it than that."

Listen to the Wind. She nods. "I… Can. I can't draw you a picture or anything, but… It feels like… Wonder Woman."

I frown. "Wonder Woman? Well, yes, she's a little like a New God… We can ask if she's been here, but..."

There's no explanation that makes any sense to me for Diana being here. And the Amazons didn't make any others like her.

Did they?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Quite a bit of godspeech today...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Uh oh. Alternate Justice League?

I can't really see Normal-Grayven cooperate with them or them with him, even if it's the Justice Lords or something.

And 3 billion people without a trace?

Hm. How many Hushtubes can a mother or fatherbox create in a given amount of time?