1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to some issues with Freenode, the QQ IRC Channel is moving. See here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wow, Zoat. A dust coil gun is really creative. Did you come up with that yourself?

Neither seems to use minions/drones or was thst part of the rules?

2. Darko

Darko Well worn.

This is the first round, so they may use drones later on.

At least Junior may.

If I remember correctly several Qwardians seemed to dislike robots, by how they acted around Paul when they thought he was a robot and Varnathors two drone companions, so she may not use drones.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I think so.
    Qwardians don't really go into that. The Sivannas do sometimes, but Thaddeus wasn't worried.

4. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

The Reach Spies...on Maltus.

Yeah...I'm gonna say good luck to them wandering in under the controllers radar on their home world.

NightmareWarden likes this.
  5. Pez

Pez Spaceman

You never know.

They knew an awful lot about Paul and the workings of the OLC (from his discussions on that planet with the eggs). And he apparently has some kind of new nemesis that confounds Dox.

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

Why? As much as Paragon might like to think otherwise the Reach is in fact a pear to the Controllers.

inglorius likes this.
  7. inglorius

inglorius Making the rounds.

I wonder if Controllers are secretly embarassed about being at war with a fruit.

8. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

As much as folks are focused on the possible mad science romance going on, I'm just pondering this coming out completely platonic....and moving forward as a sort of Maltus College football game.

Scitzotech-U vs Qwa-tech semi annual Disaster-Ball match.

Vorian likes this.
  9. Threadmarks: Medidiction (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

26th August 2012
    18:14 GMT

Daciya waves away the arena's medics, preferring to hobble back towards her workshop-

"Daciya!" Thaddeus smiles arrogantly as purple light plays over the ripped flesh of his right arm. "Would you like to borrow my healing device? Just my little way of thanking you for being a good sport."

-under her own power. Thaddeus's frame has seen better days, but there's no real doubt as to who the winner was.

Kalmin considers the scene.

"I'm sure there is some reason why you and he are letting her live. Explain it."

"On Earth, there's a television series called Dragonball Z. One of the characters by the name of Vegeta was born with the second greatest amount of raw spiritual power of any member of his species, second only to his father. For years he coasted on that, and then he ran into a chap called Goku. Goku started weak, but worked extremely hard to get stronger. When they fought, Goku won. It was close, but it was a definite win. That lit a fire under Vegeta to copy Goku's work ethic. For the rest of their lives the constant presence of Goku made Vegeta obsessed with getting stronger, with always improving himself."

"I just apply electrodes. I find pain and the threat of death to be efficacious motivational tools."

I shake my head.

"You're a Weaponer at the height of his powers. Thaddeus is roughly her age. He's had better equipment for most of his career, but she's clearly more physically able and… Qward is far more advanced than Earth."

"You think that she will focus her efforts on besting him." He nods. "If he were q'ardajin I would approve. As it is, I suppose it could be a useful data point."

"Besides, they weren't, were they? Efficacious, I mean. That's why you're bothering to teach the remedial students."

"Actually, I'm teaching them because the system was too corrupt for me to have any confidence in their designation. Though I do want to be clear: you are not planning on… Breeding them, as you are with the human female and the Coluan, are you?"

"That was more a case of taking advantage of their instincts to encourage them to act in a more useful fashion. Dox's father made him paranoid and untrusting. For him, that was useful because in reduced the chance that Dox would try and escape his laboratory. For me, it makes it harder for him to work with the rest of N.E.M.O. and that's not helpful."

"What do you intend for the male human to get out of this 'rivalry'?"

"Hopefully, Daciya wins the next one and he gets the same encouragement she just received. Failing that, he gains confidence in his interactions with people and becomes a little more social."

BOOM!

I look around as Georgia walks through the portal in the middle of the arena, her brother taking a moment to strike a pose.

"Congratulate me, Georgia. I am triumphant."

"Is that really important?"

"Is field testing important?! What do you think we've been doing since we left school?!"

Inwardly, I sigh.

"I'm sure that Daciya will want a rematch, but make sure that she's got something new to bring to the table."

Kalmin glowers through his helmet's eyeslits.

"Do not presume to give me orders."

"I wasn't trying to give you an order; I was giving you advice on the assumption that our goal here is the same." He appears to be willing to let that go. "How will you handle Daciya?"

"Handle? This is a test for her as much as any practical examination. If this duel had taken place on Qward she would be dead now. We shall see if the effect on her is what you desired."

I nod, and-. Ah, good, he's here. "Excuse me."

Kalmin turns and trudges towards the closest exit, while I fly into the stands and land close to Lantern Onik. And a few of his associates.

"Lantern Onik, a moment of your time."

He takes a moment to check that I'm actually talking to him, then cautiously approaches me.

"Yes, Great Master?"

"I'm heading to Karax soon, and it would be helpful to me if you'd come along to show me around. Clarissi Dox has informed me that he doesn't need you for anything. Do you have any of your own business you need to take care of? Or is there some reason why you can't go home?"

"No, Great.. Master. I… Can go home."

"Any reason why you might not want to go home?"

"It-. I…" He takes a moment to collect himself. "Source worshippers are a minority on Karax, and… Compared to other Source-worshipping religions, my… The monastery where I studied, our practice was far closer to Lanternism than other Source-focused faiths."

"Have you made yourself an apostate?"

"I… No. For anyone from Karax, we all see taking up a ring as a great honour. And I do regard the Source as the ultimate origin of the universe and all order within it. But while what I am doing here is in theory perfectly within the tenets of our religion, this is the first time this particular thing has happened to one of us. I am an irregularity."

"Do you object to coming back?"

"No. Now that I have a better understanding of how the emotional spectrum actually works and the place of the orange light in it, it is far easier for me to justify my decision." He smiles faintly. "When Clarissi Dox first offered me a ring, accepting it was… Something of a leap of faith."

"I can imagine."

"I… Have been reassured by your policy of collegiality. Ah. If that helps."

"In what way?"

He removes a… Paper copy of my book from a pouch, and opens it to a page about two thirds of the way through.

"'No one part of the whole is complete by itself.' You wrote that about the colours of the spectrum. Before you, I didn't even know what the other colours were. My denomination believes that the green light is a manifestation of the Source, but… We also believe that there must be others. And now we know that there are!"

"That's not exactly… I mean, you're making a bit of a leap between healthy psychology and a significantly distinct part of the Source."

"My last leap went well."

"Right, but…" Oh. I didn't actually put much in there about Apokolips or New Genesis, and the New Gods in general. And I think we're still keeping the white light under wraps. "Well, we'll have plenty of time to discuss this on the journey. Please make whatever preparations you need to be away from Maltus for an indefinite period of time."

He bows.

"At once, Great Master."

He steps back and then flies from the arena at considerable speed. I raise my right hand to my forehead

and

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    ohnana, Gilhelmi, explbean and 159 others like this.
  10. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

And I just realized why he has been unable to actually teach everyone else his tricks...

They all rely on human psychological understanding. And none of the people he is trying to train are human.

11. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Really hoping he gets his ass handed to him.

So he's from Karax.

Thought that due to Karax being a Lanterism practicing planet that Source worship wasn't a thing.

Though I guess it's possible it's just a small following.

Yep.

'a part of'

So he's either the first Karaxian that got a ring, or there were others but he got the first orange ring.

Philosophical talks.

Paul's favorite pass time.

12. ChestBurster

ChestBurster Getting out there.

Is there a reason why Vegita is the spelling or is this a Saiyan language thing that I'm too distant from the fandom to understand? Have I been incorrectly using Vegetable puns all this time?

Silveraith, moralrelativity and Ardy like this.
  13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 I trust you know where the happy button is?

That should say 'Vegeta'.

No, Vegeta is correct. Mr Zoat just misspelled it.

14. ChestBurster

ChestBurster Getting out there.

Hmm, you seem to be right. Mr Zoat can you say a few words to the crowd, please. The spell checkers want an answer.
    Oh yeah, I found that thread I was asking about a long time ago so thanks, and I couldn't find it because using a smartphone means some features are removed for extra space.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Huh. Looks like the rest of the match went poorly. Though it seems Daciya gave as good as she got. No doubt being defeated by an alien will give her some desire to improve her skills. Especially if Tad keeps being an arse of a bad winner like that...

Because killing her for losing a simple training bout is a waste of the resources used to train her? After all, won't she be more interested in learning now she's seen how limited her skills are?

Not mentioned: the fact that cycle of training and improvement resulted in both of them becoming more powerful than nearly every god in their universe. Not that most DB-verse gods are fighters, given the decidedly Eastern bureaucratic nature of their celestial circles.

And that's why you're not so large a threat as you think you are. Sometimes the carrot gets better results than the stick.

After all, are you not running a great experiment to see if the quality of their training can improve the quality of the Weaponer?

...Not intentionally, no. Despite what the thread might want. And I doubt Georgia and Vril's relationship is quite at that point either...

Again, the carrot and the stick. Reward or punishment. Which do you think most would prefer, Kalmin?
    "Bah, foolish weakness."

Before anyone asks, Dox does have his ersatz Boom Tube system. Of course he'd want to give her a lift to congratulate her brother.

"Honestly, Boys..." Still, I can only assume he's happy he got to try out many of his weapons systems outside of laboratory conditions. Certainly, it'd hard to know if a weapon with, say, a five-second setup is a liability in a fight until you've tried to use it.

The rematch, and a hopeful drubbing, cannot come soon enough.

"I may be growing hard of hearing, Illustres. That sounded like you were giving me an order."

Well, at least he's taking the suggestion as intended. I suspect his idea of 'handling' might involve scourges, though.

Ah, Kalmin... You old omnicidal curmudgeon... Have some faith, would you?

He does know OL wants him for this trip, doesn't he? Or was he simply not expecting to see OL before the expected departure date?

Heh. I wonder if Onik was looking forwards to a couple of days' furlough with his buddies. Or maybe a few days to meditate and reflect on his blessings.

The apparent suddenness of this impromptu trip, maybe?

I can't help but hear that question in a cheerful tone. Like, "Oh, you..."

I'm guessing that there still aren't a lot of Karaxian Green Lanterns in their history, though. Likely because their strong faith makes them less willful.

Probably on the level of being asked to become a living saint.

I mean, he does try to avoid antagonising the Green Lanterns... :p Key word being try.

Likely a well-thumbed copy, I'll bet. Though that idea does ironically owe something to the post-flashpoint storylines of the Lantern titles, which equated the White Light with the Source itself... :confused:

<pointing Morgan Freeman.jpg> ...He has a point. And given the psychological requirements for using the White Light, it honestly fits well.

I can see Onik being conflicted about the New Gods in general. Sure, they're Source-empowered races, but not particularly religiously inclined for the most part, outside of Apokolips' Darkseid-driven monomania. Though New Genesis seems to be a little arrogant in that way too...

Of course, you know he's going to be taking this way too seriously.

Oh, this promises to be amusing, seeing Onik's gilded view of OL being worn away by feet of clay. Because you know OL will be himself... Let's just hope he doesn't give him a crisis of faith to rival Brutha. Whatever happens, I suspect all Karax will be in for a shock...
    (On the topic of 'Dragon Ball' name spelling: Japanese has a funny way of having multiple ways to spell words, making translations particularly difficult, especially where puns are involved. One source might have spelled it with an 'e', others with an 'i', due to the adaption of vowel sounds...)

Double space.

16. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Though Gods of Destruction and Angels can still wipe the floor with them.

Or so she could view him getting the crap kicked out of him.

We know he's capable of hope, but it's probably not all that easy.

Maybe Paul can help him, seeing as he's technically one himself.

He insults Jehovah, he's fought against Angels, he worships pagan gods, he's helped demons, he's been a demon, his soul is made of a substance that is viewed as a sin by a lot of religions, he's a snake guy that once convinced an Angel to eat from a fruit that God forbid to be eaten.

Highfather was basically interested in using the White Light to fight the Anti-Life Equation.

And it does make sense, the White Light is basically all emotions combined, so it could work against something that drains emotions.

Renegade actually used some of the lights to help with his AL Equation situation.

New Genesians have been stated to be more faithful than Apokaluptians.

They may view Highfather as being something like the Pope, that being a very high figure in their religion, but still not the ultimate one, which is the Source.

Apokaliptians consider Darkseid to be the highest figure.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Oh gosh no. It's not unusual for both their Sector's Lanterns to be from there.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, vaegrim and 6 others like this.
  18. Signaller

Signaller Getting out there.

So what colour Paul got dumped in the DBZ universe, and at what era?

lywrin likes this.
  19. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

you -> your

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I looked up Karax on the DC wiki. There wasn't any information on the planet itself, but there is a Green Lantern from that planet: Graf Toren. Are we going to meet him during the visit? If yes, will this result in a theological debate about the Emotional Spectrum?

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

22. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

There are possible long-term implications and shake-ups for this kind of knowledge getting more widespread; I'm assuming the GLC and Guardians have access to Paragon's text by some means (Guy could simply ask for one). What are the Guardians' thoughts on it (I imagine there are multiple opinions) as well as Green Lanterns? Or is the text restricted/classified in some way?
    I forget if it has a name, but I feel like the Book of Maltus (the initial possibility that comes to mind) sounds both inaccurate and doesn't convey Paragon's background as an Earth-based human. Maybe the Book of Ophidian or something.

23. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Just once I want the SI to drop one of these little stories-based-off-a-television-show and have the person he's talking to blink and reply, "You realize that's a work of fiction, right? Characters react the way they do because the writer thinks that will make a good story. You can't try to emulate a fictional work and expect that the results are going to hold up in the real world."

It's a power fantasy about the SI kicking ass all over the DC universe, and somehow the parts where he literally gives people advice based off a television show he saw rather than quoting actual works of philosophy, ethics, or tactics are still the most cringe.

24. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Yes, but the Speed Force also removes the influence of Anti-Life. I've no idea if the other Forces can as well, but I'd assume that the Sage would. I could make an argument for Strength, though I'd think that the Still Force would be more akin to Anti-Life.

Prognostic Hannya likes this.
  25. Zig

Zig Know what you're doing yet?

That's some nu52 bull that I highly doubt Zoat is fond of.

Ardy, Lord Ernest and Mr Zoat like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Hey, I saw your post about the various alternates and I noticed you were missing some of the chapters they showed up in.

Here are the missing chapters I managed to find featuring Red Lantern.

I'll make some other posts when I find the other chapters featuring the other versions.

27. nick012000

nick012000 Experienced.

Isn't the Still Force part of Crisis Energy? It'd make sense that it got along with Anti-Life, while the other Seven Forces of Anti-Crisis Energy opposed it.

28. Pez

Pez Spaceman

It's a N52 thing, so it won't happen here, anyway. I was just pointing out that the Speed Force does counteract it, because all the Forces are incredibly broken powers. I've no idea if the Speed Force counteracting it was a N52 thing or not, though.

29. Senevri

Senevri Know what you're doing yet?

This was actually very shortly touched upon way back, but Paul has also several times mentioned his experience might not be applicable for anyone else.

RamiroGalletti likes this.
  30. inglorius

inglorius Making the rounds.

His healing device? Since when he is Paula von Gunther?