1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Rainbow lantern corps.

Dappershire and Assblaster5000 like this.
  2. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Reminds me of the Atrocitus ending from Injustice 2.

Prince Charon likes this.
  3. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

On the bright side, he has good reasons for doing this, and is happening to people that I think at least most of us consider pretty damn bad.

4. Threadmarks: Medidiction (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

27th August 2012
    09:18 GMT

Warning: Fear detected.

Good thing too, I've run out of ships.

I turn away from the slowly-burning planet and head in the direction of the Guilder. Scans show that he's got Lantern Onik wrapped in construct chains. Onik still has his ring, but his environmental shield is barely there.

My ring shimmers.

"Yes?"

"You are the Illustres." Guilders physically can't smile, but this one is moving its mandibles in an attempt to replicate the gesture. "I thought that you would take longer to arrive."

Given how far out they are, they can't see the damage I've done to their world. Their ring could tell them, but it wouldn't necessarily occur to them to ask. Not if they're used to Green Lanterns.

"You attacked a monastery and abducted one of my Lanterns. I assume that you wanted my attention, because otherwise this is very stupid."

"I thought I would have more time… But I suppose that it doesn't matter. Do you want to know how I-"

I warp, stopping about ten metres away from… Her, as it turns out. Male and female Guilders usually look quite a lot like each other to standard pattern humanoids, but there are differences if you look for them.

"-broke his mind?"

She blinks her primary eyes twice before fully focusing on me as I raise my left hand and use a construct knife to cut through my right forearm. I send my forearm armour back to subspace and use a construct to propel my severed limb towards her. She catches it with two of her upper left arms.

"Eat it."

"I'm not hungry at the-."

"Eat it."

Onik shivers.

The Guilder blinks her primary eyes, then shoves my forearm into her mandibles. My ring helpfully ensures that the crunching and slurping sounds traverse the airless void between us. I wait for her to finish.

Then I reach down and cut off my lower right leg, and throw that her way.

"What are you-?"

"Eat it."

There's a slight bulging as my chewed up forearm makes its way down her throat.

"Normally, I'd-."

"Eat it."

"Do you-?"

"Eat it. Eat it. Eat it."

She's clearly not stupid. She knows that something is going on, and she scans the limb a little more thoroughly than she did the first one. But she finds nothing. And we nudge her physical hunger a little to ensure that it follows my arm down her throat.

"You taste bland. Why did you give me your limbs?"

"To demonstrate beyond all possible doubt that I- "

For a second, the missing parts of my body appear as orange scaffolds. Then they are fully restored to flesh, and I take a moment to hold my right arm up and point it at her.

"-am not afraid of you or anything you can-"

She blinks again, this time looking past me. Ah yes, that should have been about enough time for the damage to Chughraghahh to become visible.

"-do." I restore my armour. "Have I communicated this point effectively?"

"You burned the planet."

"Would it help if I burned a second one?"

"Are you..? Trying to scare me?"

"How long have you had that ring? A week? Two?"

"And you think that means I don't know how to use it?"

"And no training, because the Green Lantern Corps would have detected that. So you've been sitting in a hole until someone gave you your marching orders. Sinestro wouldn't have given that to you; he had the same contempt for the Guild that I do, and-"

She yanks Lantern Onik forward and modifies his bindings so that there's some sort of ratchet-operated choke collar around his neck.

"-would only have given one to you as a trap of some kind. Yes?"

"He fought poorly. Perhaps I could eat him as well?"

"Yes, you caught him at a moment of vulnerability. I'm encouraging my Lanterns to confront their fears; naturally as a Karaxian he's been raised on stories of how evil your kind are. Combined with the problem of confronting his own flaws with his fellow monks, he couldn't match even a neophyte like you. Hot or cold?"

"He was weak-."

"I wasn't asking you. Lantern Onik? Many of the first batch of recruits were selected to see if people with those characteristics could make good Lanterns. You have an orange power ring and an opportunity to strike back against your ancestral enemy. If you do not take that opportunity then you will die. Do you want to strike them down? Do you want to continue this campaign? Do you want to continue your discovery of the spectrum? I cannot decide these things for you. The key to your freedom is on your finger and-"

Orange light bubbles under the yellow restraints as Lantern Onik begins to struggle against his bonds.

"-it's for you to use."

The spider woman gives him her full attention as her collar breaks, swiftly followed by the manacles.

"Take her power for your own."

"Corrupt."

The chains still binding him begin to turn orange and the spider abandons construct and backpedals to increase the distance between them.

Jam space warping.

Compliance.

"Adequate, Lantern Onik. But I'm not going to be satisfied with your performance until this Yellow Lantern is dead. Get on with it."

"Yes, Great Master."

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  5. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Hardcore Paul. Hardcore.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Assuming this one cares about their homeworld.

Given the fact that a lot of the people recruited in the comics were sociopaths they may not have had much attachments to their planets.

Maybe change the orange to standard color or yellow.

Edit: Never mind.

He may have changed his view on them, or chose to use them since he couldn't be all that choosy.

'Onik'

'ring'

7. The Froggy Ninja

Ring communication has consistently been the color of the receiving ring.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Getting Onik his confidence back by having him beat the Spider Guilder would require you not help him in any way Paragon...

Mind you... I am sure Zoat will ignore this point when writing the scene...

dxdragon and Relyt33 like this.
  9. BlackCoat13

BlackCoat13 I trust you know where the happy button is?

The speech to Onik would be pretty cool.

The 'I cut my limbs off and throw them at the cannibal' bit is so weird and out there I was so baffled that it utterly ruined the potential coolness of the speech to Onik. What the fething hell? I get that Paul's values are kinda weird, but really, what the shit?

10. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Oh Paul, you so crazy

11. The Froggy Ninja

For a being so invested in inspiring fear in others, of course they would be put off balance by someone utterly unafraid of them. And being emotionally off balance is serious for Lanterns. I still remember the weird Scooby Doo crossover where Shaggy and Scoob beat Sinistro by being incredibly okay with being cowards, to the point that his ring recognized them as inspiring the greatest fear in the universe in themselves. Norville “Shaggy” Rogers as a Yellow Enlightened never ceases to amuse me.

12. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think branding the Guilder after they take away her ring so they can learn more about its history is strategically important. I'm assuming Paragon will step in just before the Guilder dies (unless something happens that leads her to escape) to take over.

I think you should have the Guilder scan the first limb Paragon gives her to eat, though, because it's quite a stupid thing to do, though I guess it does convey her personality pretty well, and stupidity is hardly unrealistic.

13. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

And now i think this might be a holodeck training scenario.
    Lol.
    Since it is a rather convenient way to train up his lantern.

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Well, Paul has officially reached the end of his patience.

And he even uses a spiderguilder threatening to eat his pupil as a learning excercise.

While casually proving that even the instinctual fear of dismemberment and being eaten alive can't weaken him.

Damn.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm now thinking of this.

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Not that they would have been much use once he ran down the size scale. Below a certain tonnage, they'd have simply burnt up or exploded in atmospheric re-entry... At which point, he could have turned to simple kinetic bombardment. I'm sure he's got plenty of tungsten in subspace.

At this point, the only reason the Yellow Lantern isn't already dead is that Agent Orange wants to play with his next kill.

Probably attempting a sinister leer. Not particularly effective on a non-humanoid face, though. Can't wait until they realise just how fucked they are.

Indeed, the whole situation was very foolish. If Sinestro was behind it, then he messed up his estimate of OL's responses. If not, then I suspect he'll be very unhappy with whoever is.

Yes, I'm sure your first-hand experience was very enlightening... :p

I'm not sure she was expecting you to appear so suddenly, nor to start mutilating yourself... I suppose that's one way to put her on the back foot.

That wasn't a request, honey. It's going inside you one way or another. He's at least offering you the choice of hole. :D

Yeah, your Illustres can be pretty damn scary when he wants to be, can't he?

Giving her a good last meal, at least. Because she doesn't get to leave...

"I... I can only swallow so f-fast..."

And she's just starting to realise that OL isn't quite right in the head... And that bag full of cats is focused on her... Scary, ain't it, honey?

She's capable of causing great fear? Not as much as OL is. I'm amazed her ring isn't already trying to leave her for this badass.

The blandness is probably down to the fact his body is only a few weeks old at this point. It hasn't had time for the interesting flavours to settle into his tissues...

:cool: Rightness Wholly Fucking Assumed.

Yeah, he did that while waiting for you to arrive. Care to imagine what he's got planned for you now?

And he didn't think it too much.

You know that sinking feeling in your gut, right alongside the limbs he just fed you? One guess what the feeling is...

True, some rings are very user-friendly. But you're talking to someone who had all kinds of tricks figured out in the first six hours of owning his ring...

...Yes, threaten his stuff, that'll make him scared. Or are you scared of Sinestro, my dear?

Bitch, you may eat people. He eats souls. And then puts them to work for him. You are not the big dog in this fight, little arachnid...

No, you got lucky with your timing. Don't fool yourself, honey. If he was in the right mood, Onik would have squashed you.

Ah, OL. The Yellow Lantern thinks she can inspire Fear... But you know how to instil Want. Now, which is stronger in Onik right now?

Pass the Mortein. Onik's got a bug to put out of his misery.

Onik: "MINE."

Not so confident now, are we, fangs?

Heh, no escape now. The spider lady is about to get a lesson in fear...

:sneaky: Oh, he is going to enjoy this.

Not quite how I expected this to go down - I expected the spider to find a foot inside her from the other direction - but damn effective either way. If whoever empowered her is watching, I expect them to feeling a little worry themselves. Because once they're done with her... They will be coming looking for her backers.

...the spider abandons her construct and...

Edit: Well, my mistake.

17. DrThoth

I remember back when an Apokaliptian war machine/creature was attacking Kahndaq (or maybe Qurac or Bialya, I forget) and tried using yellow light against Paragon when it recognized he was a Lantern, though it didn't work because he was already enlightened at that point, plus yellow apparently works better against green than against orange. Was it actually tapping into the emotional spectrum? It's believable that New God tech/magi-tech can do so, given their advanced nature (Scott was able to use Renegade's rings as a power source for his metaphysical surgery after the latter was Anti-Lifed, after all), so I wonder if that's an avenue of research worth exploring. I guess Mister Miracle and Barda are confining themselves to Earth, though, so it would have to be someone else. Paragon could probably manage a better introduction to New Genesis than Renegade could (though that's a very low bar).

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She didn't really enjoy it.

Too bland.

And this is just a small part of the crazy iceberg that is Paul.

Paul isn't really focused on causing fear so he may not be such a good candidate for the ring.

Sinestro may have also had the ring return to him upon death of the user so he can choose its next wielder and make sure they're loyal.

19. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Yellow Ring users should be at an even bigger disadvantage facing an enlightened lanterns compared to other colors, now that I think about it. Their greatest strength relies on their enemy being afraid of them. Enlightened people are not so easily shaken.

20. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Meeting a scary disgusting cannibal being that gains power from intimidating you with ripping off your own arm, throwing it in their face, and then looking them in the eye and demanding they eat it is just such a power move.

I love it. It completely threw her blatantly pre-prepared speech out the window and demonstrated him just being so utterly done, and completely disregarding her as a threat. Which is kind of the best thing to do to a Yellow Lantern, given their need for Fear.

21. deimos16

deimos16 Paragon of Grey

Paragon has become a cold motherfucker.

I mean, I should've noticed it when he committed genocide the first time and then jacked off a spider, but the complete apathy to burning a planet and then tearing off his own limbs and feeding them to an opponent to show that he doesn't give a fuck about them really just hammers it home.

22. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

I thought someone would yoink the yellow ring.

23. egooo

egooo Getting sticky.

One of these things is not like the others

24. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Answer: It doesn't find an effectual opponent but we get some interesting conflict by, instead, smurfing.

25. DrThoth

Exactly how important is Chughraghahh to the Spider Guild? If it's on the higher end of their well-defended bases, then Paragon should be able to take them out fairly easily. Or are the Guild too spread out in the galaxy/universe for that to be feasible in the short-term?

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it may be their homeworld.

Though I'm not a 100% sure.

Prince Charon and ChestBurster like this.
  27. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

Beings all across the Universe kill Green Lanterns with (relatively) no consequences. It appears Paul is going to make sure everyone and their mother knows not to mess with the Orange Lanterns while giving his Acolyte a lesson in establishing Fear, not experiencing it...

28. QuiescentQueste

QuiescentQueste Not too sore, are you?

Allllrighty then.

Prince Charon and ChestBurster like this.
  29. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

You know, I think that we might be onto something referring to Paragon as Agent Orange.

I mean, on the one hand, he's been under a lot of novel stressors lately, but his reactions still seem a little bit on the extreme side compared to the baseline we have from before he got mission-killed by a qwa matter Trojan horse. Even before this; he didn't used to jump straight into firing off singularities like they were candy.

Our man might need some therapy.

30. deccan2008

deccan2008 Getting out there.

Free Yellow Ring! Who's a good candidate to give it to?

RamiroGalletti and mastermenthe like this.