1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he got some metaphysical enhancements, but not a full Awakening.

Given Dick's animosity towards renegade and Kori actually respecting renegade for all he's done, that may not be the case here.

Though it may happen paragon side.

Tentacle ogre sex cult.

I'd name it something non threatening, like The Cuddler.

That way when someone tries to fight me and laughs at the name of my ship, I can get immense satisfaction from watching their smile fall.

I'm reminded of that Gods and Monsters movie where Luthor only gave Kal El certain bits of information about his homeworld since he was worried he'd try to emulate his biological father.

Jor El may have done something similar and only wanted his son to emulate the best of their species instead of the worse.

And given that Kryptonians apparently drove at least one sapient species to near extinction, he may have been right.

A genocidal xenophobic Superman is just a nightmare waiting to be unleashed.

2. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Oh shit! I forgot about Renegade Supergirl. This is either really a really good day for Kal or an emotionally exhausting day.

3. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Is that a symbol or just a partial boob window?

mastermenthe and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Why not both?

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

She has expressed her interest in Alan Scott, though I too also hope for Dick and Kori to get together somehow.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and DonLyn like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Boob win-?

Ah, assume that's a colouring issue and it's actually 'white' not 'flesh'.

7. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

8. Mr Zoat

I hadn't even noticed that. The internet's a funny place.

9. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

It is indeed.

10. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Honestly, I'm curious to see what an awakened Kryptonian would be like, if such a thing were possible. I realize Karsta isn't exactly a member of Grayven's retinue so much as an erstwhile ally and partner by common goals.

Given that he can awaken members of the Light who work with him, could something similar be done with Karsta? I'm imagining her filling in an almost Granny Goodness-esque role within Grayven's court as it were.

Also yay, Kara's on her feet!

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's currently not possible, but if I were to guess I'd say it'd be like Superman 1.000.000 in terms of power.

Though that may take time to reach.

It's not possible to Awaken her due to her not being born on Earth.

Though seeing as Vril may be working on the X'hal thing then maybe a similar technique can be applied to her.

That's how Superman 1.000.000 achieved his level of power, by absorbing too much energy and them becoming something like a higher being.

12. jasonh23761

*google-senpai time*

Wow, yeah that's a crotch-plate. Who thought this was a good idea? Just imagine the jabbing of the ridged edges on someone's inner thighs! It looks almost torturous.

13. jasonh23761

Makes sense, ah well it would still be pretty cool.

14. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

And the violet one on Zamaron. It would be really weird if they didn't have a central power battery (I know they did in some continuities, but figuring out if they did in one Zoat acknowledges is tougher).

15. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

My mind went more to Ahl, but that works as well.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  16. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

I'm a bit lost when it comes do the chapter before this one. Who is Gloria and why is she Lynne's tutor? When did she become her tutor? And whose corpse did they use and what was her importance in the Paragon timeline? Or the canon one? And why did she instead die in this one?

17. Mr Zoat

Gloria is a succubus who has been living on Earth for some time and has actually made an effort to fit in. The Renegade contacted her to become a tutor for his younger children because they needed someone to learn to control their sex demon powers. She has nothing to do with Lynne.
    Back here, mentioned again here.
    The pertinent events didn't happen in the SI's timeline.
    Because Buzz killed her.

mastermenthe, Cuchulin, Rafin and 9 others like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They may have one in the Paragon timeline since they now have rings, but I'm not so sure about the Renegade timeline.

They don't seem to have rings there and Ghi'ata just uses that crystal that Carol Ferris used.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Invincible stuff. I tried to put it in a way that's spoiler-free.

20. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That's hilarious, not something my DC SI/OC would do due to paranoia, but still funny.

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Does Doomsday exist in this continuity I know he was in the Paragon timeline? If he does that mean Kryptonians named a world-ending science experiment and a warship the same thing?

Cuchulin and Otto von Saurion like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

I know who Rex Splosion and Monster Girl are.
    The characters involved don't know this, but no. I find him boring.

23. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

You've.

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Huh, it's funny how many characters Paul would have absolutely no chance against end up getting removed from continuity because you find them boring...

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Doomsday didn't technically exist in the Paragon side either.

Here he was a Kryptonian scientist that achieved a form of immortality, but became a monster in the process, which is different from his canon self where he was an experiment from ancient Kryptons past.

Look up Nam-Ek, I'm pretty sure he basically inspired Doomsday.

26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

27. Otto von Saurion

Otto von Saurion Father of Wetlands

Unfinished sentence.

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  28. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Looking at the Nam-Ek fight, and noting that while they aren't a 1 to 1 comparison, they would be in the same rough weight class, OL did have a significant issue dealing with him on pure strength and speed.

Now, Doomsday himself changes depending on what universe you end up with, but if we're talking his first appearance in the death of superman story in the comics....honestly I don't see him being an issue for OL at that stage. The much later dark trinity story that introduce Xor to the universe has him as a rough superman replacement, and we've seen how well he with OL.

Doomsday's fast and strong but doesn't adapt during that first fight. If any of the flying tanks around during that run got him off the ground for an extended period his strength means little. The Lanterns in that fight went for blunt force, something OL would know better then to try. The Yeet into space option would take some juggling, and likely burning through a few kinetic shield belts or barriers to get him high enough to use sufficient force to get him off world, without igniting a good chunk of the area.

Once up there Doomday lacks any form of mobility and you just have a static target. Once removed to a safe for the planet distance, OL could crack out the WMD constructs to see if he really IS unkillable, or just leave him to drift...maybe toss him at Apokolips or the Source Wall for shits and giggles.

I will point out one of the solutions that the comic books had for Doomsday was teleporter looping him. They had him trapped in a JL brand teleporter that never fully reintegrated him, so he was just stuck without a physical form, bounced between platforms. This maps back to OL's idea during the Telepathic Simulation with the zeta beam styled Gauss Flayers. If a teleporter like what the League Works by tearing things apart and putting them back together elsewhere, and it works on people like Superman and Wonder Woman, as well as Lanterns with shields up, then it works on damn near anything, and that includes Doomsday.

If we're dealing with later versions of Doomsday that 'evolves responses to what ever killed him previously, and always regenerates from death' then it gets tricky. We don't know what he'd evolve to deal with constructs....I assume some organic crumbler field? As for any emotional spectrum manipulation....early doomsday isn't mentally complex, but later on he gets a bit brighter....and a lot less scary. As Superman says in their rematch, that now that doomsday is Aware, DD remembers him, and understands he *Lost* and *Died*, and has learned something new, Fear. Either end he's got some emotions, and likely runs mostly on RED. Doomsday evolving a response to *Best Snek* would....take a bit of doing I think. Might just end up with a Construct Doomsday at that rate.

Or FEED ME dissolves him to powder. Again, worked on Anti Monitor grade BS, which Doomsday is a fair bit below on the meta.

EDIT: Found the quote for Superman during his rematch:

You're different now. You can think for yourself. So think about this. Before, you were a mindless thing. Nothing could hurt you. You couldn't feel pain, much less understand it. But once you have felt it—it changes you—forever. And you'll begin to understand something new. Fear. I've lived with it all my life. You don't want to die again, do you? The agony of what's happened to you affects your speed—your strength...and that little bit of doubt—that you cannot win today—grows. You understand now, don't you? You will never hurt me again. You will never kill me again. Never again!​

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  29. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

deanimated

Just as long as you don't post it on Wikipedia. That'll get you in trouble.

30. Threadmarks: Veganism (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

13th August 2012
    06:17 GMT

"That looks bad."

I squint at the medical hologram showing Kara's rema-. Bod-. Person. I don't want to tempt the fates by referring to her in a way which suggests that her current state of inanimation is permanent.

"That looks very bad."

I turn to look at Karsta.

"This is bad, right?"

She sighs.

"That's bad."

If it were just the malfunctioning suspended animation unit-. No. No, I should be fair. It was performing well within its design parameters. It just wasn't designed for the stresses it was forced to undergo by the suddenly exploding planet beneath it. Or the radiation from a dozen novel forms of kryptonite along with whatever the heck that did to the pod's faster than light system, the pressure of the rock…

And she's still… Kind of alive.

Living tissue, certainly.

Anyway, if it was just a suspended animation unit that wasn't quite up to the job through no fault of its own, we'd stick her on a nutrient drip for a week or two… Maybe use an aortic stimulator, some sort of stem cell suspension to aid in her internal healing…

Kara, we've got in a tank. Parts of her body are… Dead tissue. Not much rot, but slow-burned, shrivelled, desiccated…

After I healed one of my own injuries with my power ring for the first time, back while I still looked human, it occurred to me that I could probably fix anything other than a brain injury, that anything else was just a temporary problem. Even if I didn't have my ring on me or if it was out of power at the time, I just had to survive in the short term and it could be fixed.

Her brain's damaged.

I mean, it's still active. There are still brainwaves occurring without us using a cortical stimulator, but that's… Serious stuff.

"Any ideas?"

"I'm a soldier, not a brain chirurgeon. Injuries like this, we used to ship them back home."

"What sort of damage..?"

"Reduced spatial awareness…" She points to the damaged sectors. "Problems with object permanence, synesthesia, numbness and her intelligence will be about half what it was. She could live, and maybe have a happy life as a smiling simpleton, but she wouldn't really be herself anymore."

I nod. "Recommendations?"

"Find an actual physician."

"You know, I have actually been looking for kryptonians?"

Ugh. Between the vacuum exposure and radiation, there's no chance of finding anything on kryptonian medicine on Krypton itself. Mitchell and Kon had big problems precisely because humans don't have the technology to clone kryptonian brains properly. Inactive kryptonian brains without pre-existing patterns that we want to preserve. Who else might..?

"I don't suppose that the Vrangs would have the required…"

She looks at me like I'm an idiot.

"If there are any left, they'll be the same unwisely uplifted techno-barbarians they always were. You might as well go to Daxam if you're going to look for help from the technologically illiterate."

"Was that a serious suggestion? Because I can go to Daxam."

She moves the holoscreen aside and takes a closer look at the horizontal tank.

"The Doomsday's medical systems can replace most of the damaged tissue. That sort of thing used to be pretty common, before the clone rights movement got started. But I won't clone neural tissue, and even if I could, the ship couldn't implant it."

"Would the Daxamites-?"

"No they wouldn't have a brain chirurgeon. I'd be surprised if they had apothecaries."

"Would they have an automated chirurgeon? From one of the original colony ships?"

She looks a little more thoughtful.

"They might. If they didn't melt it down for scrap."

"Would it still work?"

"Kryptonian programmable crystal lasts a lot longer without maintenance than human technology. Unless they destroyed it, it should still work."

Not… Great, but what alternative is there? Kryptonite didn't even exist in large quantities until Krypton went up, so whatever medical system Kal-El has in his fortress isn't going to have any records on it. And it certainly doesn't have an automated chirurgeon better than what the Doomsday has.

Guess I'm going 'shopping', then.

13th August 2012
    08:33 GMT

I chuck the slab of crystal through the boom tube, fire another burst of energy at my pursuers and then step through after it.

"Okay, so it turns out that the Daxamite elders are total hypocrites."

Karsta picks up the chirurgeon engine and attaches it to Kara's pod as the tube shuts down.

"Imagine my surprise."

"Yeah, they're fine using advanced technology to prop up their control. They had sunstones!"

"You don't look hurt."

"I had paint chips. This what we need?"

She calls up a new screen as the chirurgeon engine glows to life. Most of the information doesn't mean much to me, but I can clearly see the 'S' of House El.

"That explains how they got access to the materials for their expedition. Kem-El sponsored them."

"Never heard of him."

"Cultural puritan. He believed that contact with aliens polluted us. I could see him sponsoring isolationist primitivists so they wouldn't be 'tainted' by alien technology."

"But it'll work?"

"As far as I can tell, yes."

"When you say-?"

"Everything here's telling me that it will work. I can't think of anywhere else we could get something better, and she's going to die if we don’t use it. But it's not like I can check it."

"I guess sometimes you've just got to roll the dice."

1st September 2012
    14:05 GMT

Kara beams. "Are you here to fight the aliens?"

A somewhat stunned Kal-El nods. "If negotiation doesn't work, then yes."

"Great! Let's eradicate them together!"

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021