1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

So... Absolutely zero chance you actually fooled Darkseid...

Or perhaps she playing you for her own advantage...

Cuchulin and Otto von Saurion like this.
  2. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

To quote another evil overlord, "Don't confuse not caring for not knowing."

Renegade is sure that Darkseid knows and is probably pretty sure that Darkseid knows that he knows. But they're both still playing along with it, Renegade because Darkseid is and Darkseid because it plays into one of his two desires, Anti-Life or entertainment.

3. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Stupid, renegade, real stupid.
    He telegraphed that intent well in advance, but you stood around trying to negotiate with him instead of breaking him in half or evacuating with Lynne.

4. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Just realized I never replied to this while rereading Hullavow. This is the statement I remember and was able to find but GodKiller/PaperMache mentioned an earlier post I can't casually dig up because being banned means I can't search for posts by you specifically and I'm not patient enough to sort through all the possible keywords while also having to manually filter your posts out of the hundreds of other results.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  5. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

She was an Anti-Life Avatar, besides that she is a reality Warper and that's a power she already had from birth.

Whatever is gonna happen, is going to be bad... for Grayven 16.

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because he's not really in a position to do either.

7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In the comics, random alien woman on a planet Darkseid visited once who basically confessed on her deathbed to her son that she somehow got hammered so badly that a guy with a face made out of concrete looked good to her.

Or at least, there was no actual implication it was nonconsensual.

So comics Grayven was obsessed with conquering Apokalips to get the father who abandoned him to notice him.

So really he's the New God of Daddy Issues.

Vorian, Ngamer11, Wetbananas and 5 others like this.
  8. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Lynne supposedly being a reality warper didn't do her any good against the golden bitch brigade, so I don't see why she'll be any more effective against the True Grayven.

And given the stuff about being able to take anything that the Fake Grayven has . . . And noting that he had put a chunk of himself into her . . . I think maybe the purple beam is True Grayven trying to rip out that part of Fake Grayven's soul and take it for himself.

Doccer, Cuchulin and Otto von Saurion like this.
  9. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

This. Darkseid has no love for the real Grayven, while Renegade is undoubtedly fascinating as both entertainment and curiosity. Renegade is so unique among Apokalyptians, both in terms of his behaviors and in terms of his goals/outlook. And while Darkseid would normally have no qualms about crushing a pretender, Renegade is strong enough, clever enough, and interesting enough that Darkseid is sitting back and letting this play out. If Renegade wins, I have little doubt that Darkseid will gladly embrace Renegade cementing his identity as Grayven--after all, Renegade is far more interesting (and entertaining).

Moreover, while Renegade has told the Justice League that he plans to eventually kill Darkseid, to everyone else (and until he believes that he realistically can pull that off), Renegade has never doubted Darkseid's authority or power. Grayven wants to kill and usurp Darkseid; Renegade wants to eventually kill Darkseid but not replace him (and does not spend much time thinking about it; he spends far more time fearing and doing his best to avoid provoking/involving Darkseid, just like Darkseid likes).

And, in general, the main reason why Renegade's form of Conquest is vastly more successful is that it is a desirable (or at least acceptable) thing for most people, whilst Grayven's form is more of an existential threat to most people. This leads to fascinating turns of events and outcomes (from Darkseid's perspective), like Lynn or Artemis.

Vorian, Ngamer11, Lord Ernest and 3 others like this.
  10. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

[​IMG]

Vorian, Ngamer11, Lord Ernest and 2 others like this.
  11. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion this is leading to Renegade having to assimilate the Omega effect?

Vorian and Otto von Saurion like this.
  12. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

does anybody have the link to the arc where Paul confronted Doctor Gotham. I cannot find the "Guys from Gotham" arc in the index. and what arc did he first commission the spell eaters from septian? also where did Ren-Paul find the sword that can kill anything.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Vorian, Mr Zoat and transhumansage like this.
  14. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

wish there was a bookmark feature for posts like these.

also do you know the chapter where he commissioned septian to make the spell eater? did he have to hire Constantine to help septian?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  15. Radix

Radix Not too sore, are you?

Also Renegade isnt a true threat to him. Darkseid knows that it is Orion who is destined to kill him.

16. Threadmarks: Veganism (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

1st September 2012
    15:51 GMT

Garrick.

A construct shield flies out even as I realise that the Omega Effect will go right through it. X-ionised shards shoot at Grayven's face even as I realise that they won't penetrate the beam and that if they do he'll regenerate the damage in moments. I begin running towards… Her? Him? I don't know, I'm just running, the fraction of a second that the Garrick formula can still affect me for feeling exactly like that before my surroundings snap back into normal speed.

Lynne's head jerks around to see the oncoming beams while the golden woman holding her lightly tosses her towards them as she hurriedly backs off.

The purple beams-

HOLD.
    -appear to freeze a few centimetres from her face as she glares at it, and I feel her metaphysique combined with her mental abilities try to interface with the idea, with the godly energy of the Omega Force which resides-

BOOM!

-in Grayven and in Darkseid. My shield interposes itself a moment later while Grayven blocks my projectiles with a raised left forearm, his head jerking slightly as he realises that they've actually cut into his skin. I-.

A Tamaranean woman walks up to Lynne and stamps on her, breaking her concentration and causing the purple beam to strike my construct shield and-

It explodes, my shield failing and the deck beneath being left cratered. That's.. weaker than I expected. I lash out at the Tamaranean with a construct battering ram and she-.

Blocks it with a construct of her own.

Construct claws glow around her hands, which are reaching out to rip through either me or Lynne. Lynne herself triggers her aero-discs and tries to fly out of the way, but one of the gold women jumps up and grabs her by the ankles before she can clear the area.

Qwardians are weapon traders, Lantern Grayven.

Two purple death ray drones drop stealth and fire at her. It takes her a second to realise what's happening as her body shrivels, then her environmental shield flares and while I'm not sure if she's blocking it or not it certainly isn't killing her. And-.

Two orange beams leap across the launch bay, each one piercing a drone and disintegrating them. Ugh, I've only got three more in the room, and with Persuader convalescing I don't have a way to get more. Against another Yellow Lantern -particularly one I don't know- I'm in difficulty. I haven't trained intensively in Lantern-to-Lantern combat because I didn't think it would come up that often.

Lynne winces as someone marks themselves as my first target by swinging her face-first into the deck plates.

"Ungh."

I fly at her captor, left fist balled and held forward while my right goes for the Sword of the Fallen at my waist. It's too small to be much use against superstrength brawlers who know it's coming and aren't powered by magic -these Zamoranspawn would just take the cut and keep fighting- but it should at least be able to hurt them.

Lynne glares back in utter contempt. **Unhand me.** **You are unworthy to even touch me, peon.**

"That doesn't work-" The golden woman's hand opens. "-on huh?"

My left fist hits her right in her gormless face and sends her hurtling across the deck and into her comrade. The two of them only stop when they hit-

I go flying as a construct Grayven returns the favour, forcing me to rotate in the air and stab it with the Sword. I try concealing the weapon, but if I'm forced to keep using it like that they're bound to notice eventually.

-the far wall. The Tamaranean woman is taking a position slightly in front of Grayven, floating off the ground with claws at the ready.

And with Lynne around I probably am feeling more fear than she is.

Feeling fear for others requires attachment. People of this sort feel little for few.

But Grayven isn't acting yet. He must know that I'm-.

His eyes glow orange and I just about manage to get a filament into position to drop a potted plant in the way. No explosion this time, just the plant evaporating. That's more like I was expecting. From what I can see of his face Grayven seems mildly surprised, but I thought it was obvious. The Omega Effect ends a life. If it blasts through any defence, then the thing to do is have a life on hand that you don't mind sacrificing.

"Sinthia, take Muliebria and Ovula and activate the Orrery. Lay waste to Vega. I will destroy the pretender." Hear and Obey.

BOOM!

A new boom tube opens, the two golden women throwing themselves across the deck to get into it. Wait, Muliebri-? Really? Sinthia holds back a moment, construct claws at the ready.

No, that's too much. I've been using this ring for long enough that I'm peeved by the idea that she can use it better than me.

I've confronted Darkseid, accepting the fear that comes from being around someone who could extinguish me with a look. Not overcoming, no, he still terrifies me because I'm not stupid, but I was still able to function. I am at one with my fear, neither controlling it or controlled by it.

Gravitons ripple as I gesture, and the boom tube collapses.

Grayven's eyes narrow. "A curious approach; forcing my most capable subordinate to remain behind. But if you wish to be destroyed-"

His eyes glow red.

"-then-"

Sinthia staggers, her glow dimming as Lynne assails her mind. I fly at Grayven, construct cannon forming on my left arm. Since he's a New God I'm not mucking around; singularity projector from the start.

"-I will-"

The beams zigzag through the air as my-.

My singularity beam vanishes as his Omega Effect passes through it before-

Fire again and plant!

-the Omega Beams strike, the left one disintegrating my plant while the second redirects away from my botanical shield and through my construct gun just as the beam hits him. I see his armour and flesh deform even from the brief contact while the beam carries on-.

BOOM.

Grayven grabs Sinthia and falls through the boom tube as Lynne collapses.

"Lynne?"

Lynne's collapsed.

"Lynne?"

The boom tube closes.

"Lynne?"

"Yes-" She picks herself up. "-Daddy?"

"I nearly had a heart attack!"

She frowns at me. "Why?"

"What do you mean, 'why'?"

"You didn't that time."

"You didn't react naturally to being slammed to the deck, so obviously you'd done something." I frown. "I got worried the first time because I couldn't see where you were wearing the Right Eye of Zoltec."

"If people could see where it was they might take it off."

"Alright, but you're still growing. Getting it implanted has risks."

"I know. It's not implanted."

"Oh." … "Let's go and capture the bridge and work out where we are."

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

The Godspeech parts:

18. yingyang590

yingyang590 Getting out there.

"Oh no, not again."

Makes sense, but it kinda seems to be nerfing the Omega Effect if you can block it with a potted plant.

Missing an "I" in there

19. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

So she can tell him now what the eye tastes like and won't it be fun fishing it out later.

20. SaltyWaffles

Did Grayven just teleport or something?

Also, doesn't Grayven fleeing here mean something?

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'raised'

Well Sinthia is dead.

Yeah, she can make purple claw constructs in the comics.

'drones'

Seeing as they're resistant to power rings there may be some metaphysical component there that will make the Sword work.

Just like her papa.

Orrery?

Don't tell me he visited 40k.

There are Apokaliptians named Stompa, Lashina, Darkseid etc.

It's not that weird.

The one that grants invulnerability and the one renegade got when he killed that jingoistic British guy.

So Sinthia has a Yellow Power ring here?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  22. SaltyWaffles

Why wouldn't that work? The alternative is that the Omega Effect just wins every fight ever, instantly, no matter what.

23. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Well, if it was ALL the Omega Effect rather than being just a different type of eye beam . . . Now I have no idea what the colors could mean.

I assumed the Omega Effect was just the Omega Effect, so what's the difference between the purple, orange, and red beams?

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think you got the time mixed up.

In chapter 17 it's 15:48, while in chapter 18 it's 15:31.

25. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

How come the Omega Effect kept changing colors? First it was purple then orange then red.

moralrelativity likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

27. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

The Omega Effect can do a bunch of stuff in the comics, even if it's mostly used to zap stuff into being liven't, so maybe Zoat is trying to get that across visually?

28. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

29. yingyang590

yingyang590 Getting out there.

Makes sense in the story that Graven 16's lesser version can be blocked far easier than Darkseids.

But it was originally a feat of superhuman agility for Batman to throw a parademon in front of Darkseids Omega beams. And the Omega Effect is one of the most powerful forces in the universe.

30. Mr Zoat

Also, Grayven canonically can make it different colours. I'm not sure if that was a colourist error, but if you look at the first comic he appears in he uses both red and purple.