1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Then it becomes slightly less likely, because as Zoat has already explained to you, the ring eats magic and converts it into The Orange Light, so it would mean that the evidence goes from "There is no Chaos corruption" to "It is highly unlikely for Chaos corruption to even occur."

ChestBurster likes this.
  2. Threadmarks: Peacehammer (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

17th Vorhexen 2512
    Evening

"That…" Teclis shakes his head. "Is not it."

Kaleina is doing something magical, but because the manipulation of the winds of magic isn't visible until they're formed into a spell unless you're a magician yourself I'm not seeing anything.

I sigh. "Look, we knew it wasn't stabilisation or reduction. You told me that."

"And I would doubt that your ring could manage something in that regard that High Magic could not, but if your ring is a device wrought by the Old Ones then it isn't impossible. I do not expect to solve the problem of millennia in a single day. Kaleina, were you able to learn anything of note from the Dark Elves?"

"That I was mistaken when I thought that I could have no new way to hate them."

On the opposite side of the room, Aranei shifts awkwardly.

"All of those I examined were physically healthy. I could detect no sign of the Lantern's orange light, but also could detect neither any significant dhar residues nor the taint of Slaanesh."

"I altered their minds and souls. The structures I build are made of the same stuff as what is there anyway. Changing how parts of their brains are wired doesn't change the chemical composition of their brain matter."

Kaleina rolls her eyes. "You really don't understand anything about magic, do you?"

"It's true that I can't use magic." I smile at her, and generate six inverted 'A' constructs in the air around her. "But I get by."

I spot Kaleina's pupils dilate as she recognises the rune and see her fingers move as she attempts an unbinding, but as they're not actually runes nothing happens. After she has enough time to realise that, I pull them back into the ring.

"Kaleina, Lantern, that does not help us."

Teclis sounds a little irritated, and… Yes. That looked like I was effectively waving live grenades at her. I shouldn't have done that.

I nod, then bow my head slightly towards her. "Loremaster Kaleina, I apologise. That was a needless escalation on my part. Though I should point out that those weren't actually Runes of Immolation, since I can't channel the winds of magic at all."

Teclis raises his eyebrows very slightly, then turns to Kaleina and raises them a little more.

"Your apology is acceptable."

Teclis closes his eyes for a moment, then looks at me. I shrug.

"It's not total magic and it's not throughput. Could it be..? Highs and lows?"

"In what sense?"

"How much the strength of the winds changes over the early part of the pregnancy? I still don't know enough about what elf genes do to understand how genetic expression works in your species, but I know that human wombs will spontaneously abort foetuses which somehow register as non-viable. And that the mechanism can sometimes go wrong. I don't… Have good data on what happens with human mutant foetuses, but none have been born around here since I arrived."

"There are no mutant elves, so there is nothing to which we could compare whatever information you gained."

"No mutant elves?"

"I am not counting the Curse of Aenarion, as that is more akin to a spell bound to Aenarion's line."

"No, I mean… Elves have fought beastmen before, and they habitually rape any women they come into contact with and don't immediately kill. I assume there have been a few elf women who've given birth to beastmen."

Teclis bows his head slightly. "You are most likely right, but the lives of such unfortunates are not well recorded."

"No records at all?"

Kaleina shifts uncomfortably in her chair. "Ulthuan is clear of such creatures, as unlike the humans we do not bear such monstrosities by chance and they have no skill at sailing. The savages of Athel Loren may have better records, having as they do more contact with them. Or you could ask your witch."

She doesn't look at Aranei as she says it, but Aranei draws herself up.

"We do not have beastherds in Naggaroth either, nor do we birth them. What a revolting idea."

How to put this..?

"Aranei, Naggaroth has a sizeable Slaanesh-worshipping religion."

"The Cult of Pleasure is a minor group that only exists at all as a favour from Witch King Malekith to his mother. And they do things that are actually pleasurable. They don't mate with beastmen."

And then she looks uncertain.

"I… No. Where would they even get them? And summoning and binding daemons would be easier… No."

"But they don't have any mutations either, despite performing daemon magic?"

"I can't imagine them failing to smother mutant children in their cribs and then burn the remains if such creatures were born, but I have heard no accounts of such things."

"But…" I turn to Teclis and Kaleina. "There's definitely a link to dhar build-ups and mutations in humans?"

He nods. "Yes, that is easily provable."

"So why not in elves? It's not because of qhaysh use, because the Dark Elves certainly aren't using that. It can't be because of exposure to the winds of magic, because while Naggaroth doesn't have a Great Vortex they are close enough to the north pole that they have significantly elevated levels when compared to the rest of the world."

Kaleina straightens slightly. "You think that our wombs destroy mutated foetuses early in pregnancy. So early that we are not aware that we have fallen pregnant."

"It might be more than that. They might be blocking fertilisation in some way, so that conception can't happen."

Teclis nods slowly. "Elven bodies are generally better at handling magic than humans. Humans who use dhar in quantities common amongst Dark Elf sorceresses would be visibly altered even if they were able to avoid outright mutation."

"Could it be..? Flux? Not… Whether the flow of the winds is high or low in absolute terms, but in how much it shifts? And… I suppose for father and mother?"

Teclis's gaze grows distant.

"I can't call to mind any investigation into that. Any… Elf woman who was shielded from the winds of magic would be experiencing a far lower level of exposure than she had for the rest.. of her life. Elevated… Would be no better. If her womb were responding to that and preventing conception as an anti-mutation measure…" He shakes his head. "It fits the observable phenomena, but I can't say that it's true."

Kaleina frowns, but in curiosity rather than frustration. "How would your ring impact that?"

"If elf bodies have a record of historical exposure to the winds of magic, there's a good chance that the ring would reset them just.. because I didn't know that it was supposed to be there. If I'm resetting it to zero and then absorbing enough magic to keep it there, then their body wouldn't think anything was wrong."

"Will the elf women in Altdorf miscarry now that you are away?"

"I don't know. I'm checking back twice a week-. I'll increase that just in case. Is this something we can investigate?"

Teclis nods. "I believe that we can. If only to eliminate the possibility. If this works, all elf-kind will be in your debt."

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We could have a long way to go before we can prove it. Though I suppose that this gives you another reason to work on the global network; if we can stabilise-."

"Stabilise the flow of magic worldwide then we won't need special measures." He smiles faintly. "It seems likely that we will be spending a good deal of time together."

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  3. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

"...If this Orange Light stuff isn't yet another Chaos trick."

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'is doing'

They are not a pleasant people.

'neither detect'

'the rune'

I can imagine hom as being the annoyed father scolding his children.

Those women may have either killed themselves after being raped or had an abortion.

Assuming they're not against these things, I'm not completely sure.

So there may be a section that's into Beast fucking.

There's always that one guy.

'It fits'

Prepare for frustration that comes from a Paul, Teclis.

5. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Science chapter! I love it!

6. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Teclis’s mind: *inspiring patriotic music common to Ulthuan plays as he muses*

Paul’s mind: *smooth jazz plays, on loop, as he stares at Teclis’ hopeful smile*

Aranei’s mind: *(censored)*

7. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

"atmospheric magic was too chaotic so your balls turned themselves off to prevent you from fathering a furry"

Alternatively... "when exposed to too much magic, elf coochie makes the Windows shutdown noise."

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  8. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

I want more of this gods damn it, far more interesting than New God Paul.

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Of course, when they do cast a spell, the results tend to be very noticeable. At least with the familiar Battle Magic used by Humanity, anyway. Magic is kind of inconsistent that way. I'm sure plenty of Warhammer Fantasy RPG players have tales of well-timed persuasion or domination spells... Including those inevitable tits-up critical-failure rolls.

If it were that easy, someone would have stumbled across it in the meantime. Since they haven't yet, well... Paul's gonna be busy for quite a while, and thanks to the Ring, he can stay young, healthy and focused until it's done... Barring an outbreak of Chaos Champion attacks or a breakdown involving Avarice overload.

Ah. Even with their morality tweaked, they can't help themselves?

Hmm. I have to wonder what the Elves thinks of the theory that all things are made of smaller things that are themselves made of smaller things... As in, Paul's knowledge of Molecules and Atoms. Probably something that falls more under the purview of Alchemists, no doubt.

Oooh, the bane of many a Dwarf Player's opponents over the years. Because in the game, 'war machines' (artillery and the like) can be abandoned in place by their crew dying or fleeing the field. With that little upgrade, the abandoned installations become nasty little landmines. :D

Heh. A logical enough reaction to him flashing what she might recognise as a live explosive. I see she's spent some time in battle against Dwarves in her time...

Given the lack of a full or proper soul, I'd be amazed if he could sense the Winds of Magic without the ring at all.

Doubt you'll get much better at this point. Maybe once she's had some time to get used to your decidedly alien quirks...

A reaction to growing ambient levels of magic from a weakening waystone network? Given that the people he's treated have been more fertile afterwards... And the ring eats magic...

Given that around here, 'mutant' can be surprisingly viable sometimes (Seriously, stuff like the 1st edition of Warhammer 40k, with its' more RPG focus, had long tables of mutations possible to apply, complete with in-game effects.)

Such results are likely put down at birth, if they're born at all. Especially in Ulthuan...

Again: euthanised at birth, if they don't have some manner of 'morning-after' tincture.

More likely quietly recorded as 'miscarriage' or the like.

Oh, dear. I can just see these two getting along like oil and water. Or maybe magnesium and water... Hopefully Teclis and Paul can keep the explosion at bay...

...Okay, Paul, subtle, you are not.

Oh, sure, it starts with parties, drugs and happy sex... But before you know it, people are murder-fucking deamons into existence... The God of Excess does not do 'subtle' any better than Paul does.

But the Dark Elves will at least acknowledge it, I guess?

Yes, well, Humans are special... In this case, far more easily twisted by the Chaos Gods' machinations...

A measure set in place by the Great old Ones when they made the Elves what they are now, perhaps? Presumably things went tits-up before they could roll the change out to Humans...

As in, the sort of thing that gets you dubbed a 'filthy Chaos worshipper' and driven out of town or killed outright. Still, if you're the kind of person to be using Dark Magic in the first place, then you probably earned it...

...He does make a good case, doesn't he? Who'd have thought that it might take an outside pair of eyes looking at things, huh?

Have you not been listening? The Ring can eat magical energies. It's been doing so to the local area to maintain a charge, after all...

...Oh, dear. That would be a horrible mishap...

So, how do you think they could take advantage of that? Halls loaded with wards that drain ambient magic down to a pregnancy-safe level? It'd likely mean confinement for the duration of the conception and pregnancy, maybe even some time after... But it could work without a handy power Ring...

And meanwhile Aranei is either fuming inside because her patron is doing other stuff around other women, or squeeing with joy at the possible advancements she can seize because Teclis is pretty damn high-up in Ulthan society...

Well, that was an insightful discussion. And now they have a place to start their investigations. At least until other matters poke their heads in, like growing Chaos uprisings (Archaon's still on his quest to become Everchosen at this point, if I remember correctly?) At any rate, back to the Renegade tomorrow, and perhaps we'll see if the first meeting with Grayven-16 has had any effect on their respective Godheads...

"Aranei, Naggaroth has a sizeable Slaanesh-worshipping religion."
    ...but in how much it shifts?

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or she read up on the things they did before Paul got to them and she was disgusted with them.

Or read about it.

Or as I mentioned previously abortion and suicide.

I'm thinking of this Paul experiencing some harem antics down the road.

No, he is not.

I don't think describing it as happy sex is accurate.

12. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

i WONDER IF yOU CAN Shove the Chaos gods into lantern batteries.

13. Mr Zoat

As I understand it, Chaos Gods are distributed intelligences with each daemon forming a small part of them. As such, you would have to change their nature so much in order to contain them in any object in the materium that they wouldn't really be themselves any longer.

14. SaltyWaffles

SaltyWaffles I trust you know where the happy button is?

There are no skaven in Mousillon. Mousillon is surrounded by the rest of Bretonnia and the ocean (which is also patrolled by Bretonnia). Also, Mousillon is a place already staked out by vampiric knights and undead. Without any warpstone there, there's just no incentive for any skaven to try to live there, either.

Ardy and Assblaster5000 like this.
  15. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I've never heard of this "reason" thing getting in the way of The Skaven before. Quiet the opposite really.

16. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Poor Tyrion is going to be VERY irritated. He does so dislike it when his brother is off and away, helping the world when he should be home helping Ulthuan.

Well, with Transitioning, at least Paul can take Teclis and any other Asur with him to Ulthuan faster than any ship and most spells, so Tyrion will have little reason to complain.... though he surely will nonetheless.

ChestBurster and w34v3r like this.
  17. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Sure, there aren't. Just like there's no Skaven under the cities of the Empire, right?

ChestBurster, w34v3r, Citizen and 4 others like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

The 'Skaven don't really exist' retcon is not something I'm using.

However, Empire cities have sewers and storm drains, neither of which are true of small isolated Bretonnian villages. To say nothing of the risks flooding.

19. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It was also Ryoga's catchphrase. >.>

20. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

I'm aware

21. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

And then you have the weirdness of the Immaterium having alternate ways of defining spatial and temporal dimensions to consider. Which could mean that you could shove all 4 gods into doorknob but could also mean that a full "Guardians capture MadGod Sector 3600 and shove it into a sciencell" would be a papercut

w34v3r and Otto von Saurion like this.
  22. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

On the Under-Empire's page of the fan wiki, the Stronghold section has an accompanying map that details the Skaven tunnel networks of the Old World. A look at Bretonnia will reveal that while they have presence in several duchies, Mousillon isn't one of them.

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He really doesn't understand much of anything he does...

24. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

What is the cause of your obsessive hatred?

25. Frank Iannetta

Frank Iannetta Getting out there.

Just put Vaermina on ignore. Makes reading a lot easier.

26. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

Frankly after so long I think it is partially a bit where he acts like that because it is how he has always been.

I find he does have occassional interesting points.

27. Threadmarks: Veganism (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

1st September 2012
    15:56 GMT

"But why did he leave?" **Come Over to the Winning Team.**

The nearby gordanians of what turns out to be called the Endless Conquest clan switch from 'caution-intruder' to 'caution-boss' mode, making gestures of respect and deference to me before returning to carting materials to repair the smashed up transport bay down the corridor.

"He believes that you are dead and that I am therefore weakened. But I got a solid hit on him before he left and our god powers mostly relate to strategic manipulation. Which means that even if my metaphysique was weakened due to losing you-"

I take a quick look around and confirm that no one is looking. Then I pick Lynne up and hug her to my chest.

"-I could still kill him by conventional means and then rest and recover. I love you."

"I love you too Daddy, but you should put me down."

"Bah, who's the god-king here?" I've got a rough idea of the ship's likely layout, but Grayven's lingering presence is preventing me from commanding it and I can hardly ask the crew.

"You're more like a god-president, like they have in Europe where the president is just supposed to make sure that no one's being too stupid while the prime minister runs the government."

"Apt." I put her down, smiling fondly. "Does this mean that you want to get involved in the family business when you graduate?"

"I don't think I could do anything else."

"Oh? Do I have to punch my father in the soul again?"

"My god powers let me make sense of groups of people without trying to read all their minds. What other jobs let me use that?"

"Anything in management. Retail. Local government. State government. Federal government."

"I thought American government was all about preventing anyone having too much power."

"Yes, but the US Constitution was written before telepathy and magic were well understood. I'm fairly sure that you could bypass checks and balances even without my help. Ah, or help them adapt to that oversight as an unelected advisor."

"Hm."

Ping.

Yes, but he'll almost certainly have remodelled a bit. Those ships were designed to be run by Lowlies and multiple New Gods, not one New God and a multitude of aliens. He would have had to make the design more rational.

Ping.

It's what I'd have done. Those old ships were a bit of a mess if you forgot that they were built on the assumption that the people on board were supernaturally good at certain things and so didn't need certain systems. I try reaching out-.
    Not Authorised in My Domain.
    "Shouldn't we have run into someone important by now?"

"Someone with decision making power will be on the bridge. But gordanian military leaders will be on other ships, and civilian leaders will be wherever he's keeping their civilian population. Probably habitation ships, mining vessels…"

"What about senior officers?"

"Who's the fourth highest ranking Orange Lantern?"

"Ah…"

"It goes me, Dox, Komand'r, and then..?"

"I don't think you told me about anyone else."

"Because the three of us are the only ones with command authority. Primitive militaries need complex hierarchies of authority to get anything done. I'm a New God and Dox is an organic computer. Grayven might have non-commissioned officers and clan officers and officials…"

"But they're not important to him, because he instinctively knows who the best person for the job is and so does everyone else because they're under his power. Which works fine until he dies and there's no one to take-." She frowns. "So he should have killed you and taken control of me, because then I'd be a loyal second in command who could carry on his work. Why didn't he?"

"He didn't know about you, you're a bit of a handful, and he doesn't really care about what he's building. It's part of him, not a thing in itself. If your head gets cut off, it doesn't really matter what shape your feet are in."

"But aren't both of you the same?"

"He didn't have my second life. He went straight from Apokolips to this, while I got the advantage of a normal life. For a few decades."

"What if you didn't?"

"I'd probably have ended up the same."

"No, I mean… What if you didn't escape? What if he did something and made you just appear on the other Earth?"

I carefully avoid thinking anything about that.

"Or maybe he's the pretender. Humans can't be the only species who can be Awakened. If he made himself look like you and then got Awakened, he could pretend he was you." She looks up at me. "Would that work?"

"It m-. Oh look, a door!" I take Mother Box off my harness and tap her against the control panel. "Let's see if we can find a map or something."

The door splits, sliding left and right into the walls. And it's another launch bay, because of course those would all be in the same part of the ship. Given that we're against the hull here I could blast my way out… Maybe. But I don't want to give Grayven a reason to prioritise me, or attract undue attention.

"Navigation computers." I send beams of orange light into the waiting craft, ignoring the confusion of the gordanians preparing the landing craft. "They'll have to have our location loaded on them. I don't suppose that these fellows know where we are, do they?"

Lynne's eyes shimmer for a moment, and the gordanians go back to their work. **Above Your Concerns.**

"No. The other Grayven had good operational security."

Ah! Snagged one. And…

Ping.

An outside line! How nice. Call Duke Oswin and get me our current location.

Call in progress. Location not found. Local navigation data located. Extrapolating.

Oddly.. industrial. There isn't anywhere in Vega like-.

"Kranaltine. He's attacking Kranaltine. But without his direct aid we'll butcher his fleet, that doesn't make sense."

Someone on Oswin's end sends an acknowledgement.

"Grayven! Good to hear from you."

"Oswin! I'm chasing down Other Grayven. How are you managing?"

"Going well until a minute ago, when stars and planets started flying at each other. Any idea what's going on there?"

"Orrery. Oswin, is there anything on Kranaltine called 'The Orrery'?"

"Yes, there are display pieces in various museums. Is this really the time for sight-seeing?"

"Grayven's here with a dreadnought, and from the lack of shaking I don't think you have a home defence fleet any more. I'll get him, but he's here for something called 'The Orrery'. Where were your people's first settlements?"

"The-. The northern continent, around the coast."

"We'll try there. Grayven out."

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  28. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

' built '

29. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I'm having flashbacks to the Corellian Trilogy....Did Gravyen-16 just find DC's Centerpoint Station?

boo600, Amrynel, ChestBurster and 6 others like this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Embarrassed to have people see you showing affection.

'Do I have'

And potentially entertainment.

There was this issue in Astro City where an empath used his powers to read the emotions of groups and figure out what music they'd like the best, so he became a successful DJ.

Or even accepted.

'built'

And you didn't have his first life.

Renegade is a living example that it can work.

Really committed to the lie.

'to give'

I think he already has it.