1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I didn't mention a waystone network. The ring feeds on magic. The waystone network causes magic to flow in a safe and healthy way. The ring drains it where it pools.
    Yeeees, but there would still have to be a second parent.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  2. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

When two beast women really love each other, they can go to the bright glowing orange man to put a baby beast woman, made from combining the genetics of the two beast women, in one of them. Or, if a single beast woman just really wants a baby, give them a clone baby. Or a random amalgamation of appropriate genes baby.

3. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Is it ungrateful of me to say I wished Zoat had continued with the renegade storyline and skipped this entirely?

4. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Ah, so the ring obsoletes the waystone network, and OL is only invested in building it up so he doesn't need to bother with the tedium.
    Nope. The WHF subplot is basically salt in the wound of more dedicated fan works going on hiatus due to the recent change in Games Workshop policy. It's not a story about the setting, it's a wank about how easily all the problems would be solved if the author showed up with a problem solving OCP.

Bud-E likes this.
  5. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

And honestly it must be really weird from the elven perspective to see the exact same thing happening to Paul ... but with his own unique "wind"

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

*Checks for the chaos gods exploding his head because they can see the future and that's an actual possibility*

Nope, looks like it's an actual pipe dream.

7. Mr Zoat

Imagine if you will a very big ship.

This ship has a great many small holes below the waterline.

Eventually, if no one does anything, it will sink.

There is one man with a bucket.

He can bail out one of the leaks very easily. But he doesn't know where all the leaks are, and he doesn't know which of the leaks are important, and in any case he's part of the firefighting team and there are lots of fires he's supposed to be using the water to fight.

The leak fixing teams could probably fix the hull, but there are fires in the way, and they don't want to work together because the the leader of Team B got the leader of Team D drunk and look a picture of him with a banana up his bottom and posted it on Facebook, and they're arguing over how they should do the fixing and some of them want to try turning the water into a jet instead of fixing it.

The bucket man can't fix the hull. That means that he can't prevent the ship from ultimately sinking, though he could deal with a pool or two.

Do you understand now?

8. Ganurath

I understand that we have different ideas of how much metaphorical leak water is in Mousillon, and how much hull damage is in that area.
    First, the Chaos Gods send minions where they want to make things worse, not bolt from the blue kill spells. Second, it's likely that Paul's environmental shield protects him from being predicted by the Chaos Gods in much the same way Lord Protector was able to counter the entity analysis of Worm.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  9. Michael Vonica

Don't worry Mr Zoat, at least I got it. You're saying we need to give the bucket man a bigger bucket, right?

ChestBurster, Osserumb and Ardy like this.
  10. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

You know the rule mate. “If it means Paul can be successful it is false/a retcon/wank/badwrong etc.”

11. Mr Zoat

He's been there for over two years and recharging from drained to full several times a day.
    Yes, and right now cults and warbands all over the world are getting visions of an orange champion of humanity whose death will see them well rewarded. But he lives in the arse end of Bretonnia. None of the well connected groups can get to him in a short span of time.
    No, they can predict him as much as they can predict anyone. But what's to complain about? Things are becoming interesting.

12. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

It's just Vae being Vae again and saying that if this OL was an actual threat they'd just explode his head, no save and since they haven't he's clearly not a threat.

You know, the usual.

13. Cap'nSmurfy

Cap'nSmurfy Not too sore, are you?

I could have happily lived my life without ever seeing that.

Edit:
    ......I really should have known better then to click next page.

ChestBurster and SaltyWaffles like this.
  14. Ganurath

Truly, the Gods of Chaos have an alien perspective from that of we mortals, if they consider this version of OL interesting. Unless it's some sort of Jack-in-the-Box to them, and they're waiting for someone to notice the unintentional influence of the orange light, hoping it'll get mistaken for deliberate manipulation?

"Nobody intimidates Orvas Dren!" is a quote this thread doesn't see enough of.

But yeah, I think that these Peacehammer asides run counter to the narrative tone of the Warhammer setting of hard won victories, excessive violence, and audacious moments of ridiculousness. We don't see the viewpoint character struggle to achieve his goals, we don't see him fight his enemies, and the closest we see to humor is social awkwardness.

15. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I...

That's... That's the point though? That no matter how unreasonable and downright dickish someone is there's always something that they want which can potentially be used to make them see reason, or at least work towards a common good that benefits most people. It's one of the founding principles of the entire story.

It's literally a segment called Peacehammer, so what are you expecting? It do be different from the regular Paragon and Renegade segments where just about anyone can be talked down and made to cooperate if the right words and incentives are used?

16. Ganurath

A good crossover has both halves of the crossover complement the stories of the other. Peacehammer has the people and places of Warhammer, but it doesn't feel like Warhammer's world.
    I would be ecstatic if Peacehammer were like Veganism. Fuck, the demonstration that Zoat can write with the right tone but is making a point against doing so makes it all the more frustrating.

17. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

... I miss Teekl.

Teekl best hunter.

18. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Did I miss Paul doing something about all the Skaven in Mousillon (apparently it's a Pestlens stronghold?), or is he relying on "even for Mousillon, this is the ass-end of nowhere"?

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. Mastigos2

The setting and characters yes. The writing ethos and themes FUCK NO. And especially not the stories*. At least half of good crossovers amount to "what if we introduce X to Y such that it changes the genre completely"

*The original stories are just that, their own stories. And hugging too tightly to their themes and plots results in boring sameness.

20. Ganurath

The heroes of the setting have personal stories, and having them get spoon-fed resolutions to those narratives makes their previous struggles seem less important than they actually were. Sorry if my poor word choice obfuscated my intended meaning.

21. Assblaster5000

And that makes total sense. Simply resolving problems like that is traditionally bad writing, it's something you don't do when trying to write a compelling narrative. And the relative lack of conflict in the Peacehammer segments is something that should probably be addressed, even as somewhat hard as that is when you've a power ring user that just wants to help going up against a world of people with sharp sticks for the most part.

But this is uplift fiction, at least in part, and that means you do give people the solutions to their problems, you do fix things that others simply can't, or maybe won't, because of any number of reasons. This is a story where having problems simply persist no matter how easy it would be for the characters to solve them goes against the whole point of the narrative unless there's a damn good reason for it.

I will admit, however, that a decent part of my lack of understanding as to why the way these segments are written might be a bad thing is likely two fold. One, I know very little about WHF, and even less about the characters therein, (mainly because of how little grimdark fiction appeals to me, no matter how much I might enjoy the aesthetic of the Warhammer multiverse) so my emotional investment is mostly absent in their stories. And two, I tend to view fiction from the lens of "Real people in (usually) fantastical situations", so having them not go through any of those hardships because of some intervention on the part of a character with metaknowledge is, to me, more of a positive than a negative in situations like this.

I understand that that's probably weird, but it's just how I am.

22. Ganurath

So, for example, if Orange Lantern's offer to cure Teclis of the curse that has haunted the highest nobility of his particular faction of elves since the dawn of time as a divine punishment to their first king by their own gods despite millenia of research by the greatest scholars among said elves involved displaying manipulation of flesh with ease and variety that to his experience would normally be the exclusive domain of the daemonic powers that were the opposing faction in the aforementioned war at the dawn of time while being of a species that has no magical knowledge that didn't come from either dark powers of shameless evil or Teclis himself, would Teclis being as eager as he was seem less satisfactory?

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Mastigos2

Only if those heroes are main characters in this story*. Of which, the closest we have to an example is His Hatness McBigHat Lord Archwizard Of Hats. But so far he seemed to show up more as a nod to the fact that he's curious enough to do so, not because he's going to be story-relevant. And even if he was, fixing his body is fixing a problem he already had handled.

*casually solving the Horcrux issue in a Harry Potter story that actually cares about Voldemort is a bad thing. Casually solving it in a footnote in a story about Dobby's trials and tribulations paying back his debt of gratitude to "wonderful Mister Ryouga Hibiki Sir" for freeing him is fine.

24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Huh?

Harry Potter?

What thread is this?

Where on earth am I NOW?!

25. Mastigos2

It was a simile

26. Assblaster5000

I'm sorry, but I've been trying to understand this question for 15 minutes and haven't made nay progress what so ever, could you please simplify it?

Vorian likes this.
  27. Michael Vonica

I don't know much about Teclis, but from a character perspective, he doesn't seem the type to discriminate by abilities. Sure, demons can do it too, but if Paul was a demon, actively using demonic powers, I'm pretty sure this super arch wizard would have noticed some of the tell tale signs of demon magic. Obviously, no such demon magic occured, and Teclis should have enough skill to be confident that he hasn't missed any trickery going on here. As for how Teclis might justify the existence of this completely unknown individual and source of power, the universe is a really, really big place, with many strange, unknown things in it. Teclis, as a scholar and person afflicted with a so far unbreakable, indecipherable curse, should realize this. Obviously, just because Paul isn't evil by default doesn't mean that Teclis should blindly trust him, but if Teclis wasn't a character willing to take risks in order to get appropriately beneficial rewards, he wouldn't have taught magic to humans. So, it wouldn't be out of character for him to try working with and investigating this complete unknown, especially with the potential of having his quality of life greatly improved on the line. After all, Teclis isn't some neophyte who could be easily taken down, he's an archmage, and will take all the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of this endeavor.

ChestBurster likes this.
  28. Ganurath

Teclis is physically crippled by the Curse of Aenarion. The Curse was placed on the highest nobility of the High Elves after their first king committed a taboo against his own gods to win a war against the Gods of Chaos at the dawn of time. The greatest scholars of Ulthuan throughout all of recorded history have been unable to find a way to lift the curse. Teclis personally established the magical tradition of the Empire, the main good human faction, and it is considered explicitly inferior to the magical tradition of elves, since it's basically overspecializing in prerequisites. The only other human mages (not counting priests and priestesses) serve dark powers, such as the Gods of Chaos. In making his offer to cure Teclis of the aforementioned curse, Orange Lantern subjected his body to overt physical changes at a pace that, within the setting, would be the exclusive purview of the servants of the Gods of Chaos.

Teclis was written as accepting the offer before it was even finished.

Does that seem right to you?

29. Assblaster5000

Considering worse mages are able to detect even minor Chaos magic on sight? Yes, absolutely.

ChestBurster likes this.
  30. Ganurath

...Dhar is easily identifiable. That's dark magical energy made by haphazardly combining two or more of the eight Winds of Magic. The influence of the Gods of Chaos, meanwhile, is as overt or subtle as they please. Their cults wouldn't be pervasive enough to justify the existence of Witch Hunters if talent with Magesight was all it took to spot their influence.