1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's interesting to see Paragon face someone who's in pretty much every way better then him.

2. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

If only. If he was mad his actions and behavior would be inconsistent there would be flaws in his methodology. He is quite sane however his goals are Omnicidal. Really he would be easier to deal with if he was mad.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

No, that's correct.
    That's why he didn't.

4. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

The logical thinkmg here is to bring Marvolo's corps into the fold. Particularly since Paul can get him Maltusians and he can help with the Reach.

It's also fitting to Paul's nature (Revolution).

5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Lacking the time to go through the synopsis there, I can't comment on it's suitability. But given what happened when he got confined, I suspect taking a firm hand was always needed. o_O What does it say about the DC universe that so many of the alien races are complete and utter bastards, and the benevolent ones so rare.

True. For comparison, look at just about any nation in human history where the ruler left no heir, or their temporal power devolved into nothing. Civil war and outbreaks of banditry and rebellion usually followed quickly.

I have the feeling the representation of all ruled parties would play a large part in it. You'd have to be very sure any prospective candidates were not inclined towards despotism...

But by the same extent, you need to make sure your candidates won't just rule by rote, following precedent to the letter and finding themselves floundering when something unexpected happens...

It's remarkably like herding cats, really. Make them think what you want them to do is their idea and they'll go happily.

No need to mention the blatant daddy issues. I doubt that would give the best picture of Vril Dox the second...

On the up side, you have a whole planet of geniuses who owe you one to tap for potential candidates, though I doubt there are any Coluans capable of the job alone.

Heh. I wonder what Malvolio makes of that. 'The last couple of times...', eh? I'm sure Malvolio is confident in his own longevity, but to hear someone so casually mention they'd died and returned...

I suspect a big part of that is caused by the stubbornness brought on by main-lining Will as intensely as they do. Certainly, they know they're not truly unkillable, given their losses over the eons... But not making preparations still smacks of sloppiness.

Which is a definite problem in future. We saw in the comics what happened when the Guardians quit, and the Corps had to go it alone. Spoilers: it wasn't great.

And the few who do have that sort of training from prior jobs are few and far between. As for the multitude of pacts and treaties... I certainly hope they're all recorded somewhere, not just the public ones the Lanterns are cleared to know about, but the secret ones like the real Vega situation.

At least you know that in future, you'll be able to manage both, thanks to Ambush Bug's little mind-whammy that sent you on a mental road-trip into your own timeline... But that doesn't help in the here and now...

A very devout fellow with some very distinct moral attitudes.

True. Who knows what he'd be getting up to without oversight? Besides the fact that whatever he ended up making would be very bad for everyone else...

There's also the fact that trying to kill him would be very difficult, given his natural wariness.

And when a ruler can't be trusted... Well, people have been known to take matters into their own hands, as history has shown many times...

Annoyingly, there's no easy way to track them all down, is there? Especially since Larfleeze's Rings probably operate on their own network unless reconfigured for the Corps.

...I do suspect Malvolio and you have very different ideas about the disposition of the mentally unwell. Remember, places like Bedlam operated with nigh-medieval methods well into the nineteenth century...

I mean, have we seen anyone decline the offer, really? Drakul Karfang, maybe? Also the First Citadellian, but OL never offered him a Corps posting anyway...

More precisely, are they doing something that OL finds morally offensive or materially wasteful? Things like conquering, mass destruction or mass murder. Because that would go a long way to making him feel strongly pretty damn quick...

Eh, OL isn't all that impressive in the first place, until he starts fighting... :oops: Oh, you meant the other kind of 'impress'? :p

Plus, if someone is really a jackass, you can always ask the Ophidian to have words with them...

So... You intend to make your own, better Corps? No Blackjack or hookers, I assume, since you don't seem the type...

...Are you saying... You can make your own rings? Well, that's a horse of a different colour! Care to give OL some lessons?

Hmm... If Malvolio's saying what I think he's saying, then he might actually be able to subvert some measure of the Green Light from the Guardian's... Guardianship. OL would be well advised to encourage a spirit of fellowship with the Orange Lantern Corps, methinks. And therein lies the meaning of the episode title, I suspect... The elegant dance of diplomacy in action. :confused: ...OL's hosed, isn't he?

Vorian, Gilhelmi, Whiteeyes and 20 others like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's just what a madman would say.

Though I guess religious zealot is a more accurate description of Kalmin.

ChestBurster likes this.
  7. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

So OL might be able to get a green ring and battery for Alan, who could then pass his blue ring and battery to Kori.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Oh, is Fluffles here?

I don't think Paul makes that big of a distinction between the two.

Or Paul and Malvolio are going to have a spiritual battle.

Like a girl in a hentai.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm not so sure.

Alan's soul also became blue, so he may not be able to switch back.

Though it may be possible for Malvolio to give Alan some tips so he can make another blue ring and battery.

Whiteeyes, ChestBurster, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  10. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

This is fucking fascinating as a direction. The Guardians reaction to a non-hostile, but non-allied group of Green Light wielders would be telling, and the Orange Lanterns may well side with such an organisation.

I'm curious how the organisation would work though. Personally, I feel he'd end up with a sort of... feudal-ish thing? Like, less universe police, more 'roaming knights' and such.

Still, a very interesting turn of events, and likely a future ally, given that Paul here is entirely capable of communicating with him as an equal, without being an asshole or looking down on each other, like the Guardians would.

11. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

If Alan can do that and start a new Lantern Corp and Mal starts his own then it would be several Lantern Corps started by humans in what would be the blink of an eye from the PoV of a mathusian. That tends to be considered massive universe shaking stuff.

12. Mr Zoat

Feudal would feel unnatural to Lord Malvolio. His earliest political experiences involved a conflict between absolute monarchy and democracy, and on that basis he'd either have his Lanterns as agents of the king i.e. him, or have Lanterns represent their home worlds in a conclave.

13. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Can green rings be converted into blue rings by using blue rings? Because if so.. being able to produce green rings also means being able to produce blue rings.

14. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I know it's gonna be hilarious!

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Kalmin's blue lantern managed to turn Alan's ring blue, so it may be possible.

16. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

But with Vingt-Un and Covent Garden Nuns!

17. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

That they are very very human? After all "homo hominis lupus" which is very rude and quite inaccurate to the poor wolves, as nothing they have ever done holds a candle to the horrors that we have inflicted to ourselves, but the implied sentiment remains.

18. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

What a great place to end this. So many possibilities ahead and Paul's been rolling 20s on his diplomacy checks.

I doubt Alan would want to go back to Green now. Personally, I want to see more blue lanterns.

19. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

What did they do to make that impossible?

Paul? This is the dude who is do strong in The Force the Green Light that he completely commandeered one of their rings and couldn't be shut down. Only locked to his own world.

20. Mr Zoat

The SI doesn't know.
    Yeah, but Yalan Gur did that. And there's a reason why he calls himself Lord Malvolio of the Green Flame, not the green light.

Oh, did you know that Yalan Gur was one of the Green Lanterns in the Justice League film?

21. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

You, good sir, are swiftly becoming one of my favorite characters.

22. Wivk

Wivk Know what you're doing yet?

Or he could dual wield them like paul.

23. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I just had a crazy idea Paul and Malvolio could team up to take down Sinestro. They know he's been terrorizing this sector and since Malvolio wants to establish his corps as right and just while also pissing off the Guardians what better way to do that than by stopping one of the most notorious criminals in the Universe who also happens to be the Guardians greatest screw-up.

24. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Greatest modern screwup

25. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Made even worse by his God actually existing and being exactly as Kalmin believes it to be.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  26. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Younger stars in time shall rise
    to the axis of the skies.

27. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Alan's soul was made up of increasing ammounts of green over time.
    The green did not hinder him taking up a blue ring.
    Him having a soul now laced with green and blue should not hinder him taking up a green ring again.

And I agree, this sounds like a good opportunity for OL to engage in some horse training.
    See if he can get some Green rings and lanterns from a ring maker. One for Alan, and a few for the OL core to use to train with and familiarize themselves with use of other lights. Offer some Orange rings so Malvolio could have the opportunity to familiarize himself and his new Corps with them...

EXPLAIN!

28. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Malvolio putting on an orange ring will either do nothing due to him being basically a Green Light elemental, or will go very very poorly for the universe.

29. Threadmarks: A Waltz in Orange and Green (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

10th September 2012
    11:31 GMT

Ooooooooooh.

"I had wondered why it was so big."

The very big lantern that used to be in Lord Malvolio's space station is now sitting in a cargo bay in his flagship, glowing vibrant green.

"The Guardians of Oa keep their secrets well; e'en after their servants have fought across the galaxy for millennia, little knowledge of their true methods has reached the ears of the hoi polloi. Know you why they used lanterns as their sigil?"

"A lantern on a stick used to be the tool and sign of office of their law enforcement. Much as law enforcement agencies on Earth have a seal despite us not sealing official documents with wax any longer, so they decided to keep the general shape with the charging devices that their agents use."

"A curious act; I had not thought them capable of such sentimentality."

"How easy would it be for Christianity to change its primary emblem from the cross to anything else?" I shrug as I try to work out how large a problem this is likely to be. "And Christianity has barely been around for two thousand years. The Green Corps has used Lanterns for millions."

"They do it then not for their own benefit but for the benefit of those they claim to protect."

"It might be sentimentality. Or it could be that the current design works and so they don't see any purpose in changing it."

"By what I know of their staid natures, the latter is more likely."

"I don't know. Appa Ali Apsa seemed like he had a little more life in him."

"You know their names?"

"I've met them all briefly. Their names aren't secret, they just don't value them, or value individuality. And they've all known each other for so long that they don't need to use them in conversation with each other. Controller Hinon thinks it’s a stupid affectation, so it might be just the younger ones who are weird about names."

I take a closer look at the giant lantern, giving it a scan for good measure.

"What is it for? I assumed that you got a personal lantern from… Ah…"

"Mine natural father."

"I… Hadn't realised that he was your father."

"I came home to find mine mother being assailed by what I perceived to be a demon. T'was only after I ran him through that I learned truth."

"Ah, 'assailed'?"

"In congress."

Ah.

I mean, it's never been a problem for me, but I imagine that maintaining the focus required for an environmental shield while engaged in sexual relations isn't that easy for a Green Lantern.

"I know that killing a Green Lantern doesn't disqualify a person from getting the ring after them, but I'm a little surprised that you were able to keep it."

"I thought it a talisman of his vile magics, that I risked all the fiends of Hell descending upon Manchester should my will fail e'en for a moment."

"They didn't… Try communicating?"

"I thought them the fiend's diabolic masters, and told them such. The ring fought me, but I fought for all the souls of the men of Christendom."

"And then?"

"It fell silent, and resisted me not. Later, Priest visited mine abode and explained affairs at a greater length."

"The AI." I nod. "They fried the AI, like they did for Yalan Gur."

"You refer to the ring's vocal spirit?"

"I don't think it's a spirit, though I…"

I mean, the AI can't be built into the physical structure of the ring, it has to be a stable light structure… Doesn't it? That… Would make it sort of a spirit. I wonder if binding spells would work to shut down a ring's AI? Have to test that at some point.

"Yes. Which means that you wouldn't have had access to its database."

"Indeed I did not. Priest's teaching showed me how to harness the light of will well enough, but the Guardians barred me from their order."

"So what's this for?"

"If I cannot join their Corps, I will simply make mine own. My imprisonment gave me much time to contemplate mine own power, and to build this."

I'm forced to compare this scaled-up personal lantern to my own work.

Well.

He had four hundred years.

"And how are you doing for rings?"

"A trying task. E'en now, something of their nature defeats me."

"I've got to be honest here: I've been offloading a lot of the calculations regarding my more complex constructs onto my ring's AI."

"Can mine be repaired, do you know?"

"It's probably-." Was Alan's repaired by his new personal lantern, or was it a completely fresh installation? "I would guess so, but I wouldn't know how to do it. Unless you felt like changing to orange?"

"You have your colour, while I have mine."

"Though actually, this could be a useful training exercise. Would you mind if I brought my students in to have a look? We could brainstorm techniques together."

"You feel no hesitancy in conspiring against the Guardians?"

"Well… The Guardians have done a good job for millions of years. But they're hardly faultless, and… Ultimately, they're not the boss of me. I'd like to improve my own abilities and those of my students, and… Your situation could be one that my friend Alan is going to end up in eventually. Unlike the Guardians I don’t have a particular problem with you ruling a Sector… I'm not signing up to make you King of the Galaxy or anything, but I see no reason not to cooperate at the moment."

"Well said. I do not object to the presence of your students. Indeed, I am curious to meet more Lanterns than those I have encountered to date."

"Rightoh, I'll call them. Illustres to Lantern Xor. Are you finished?"

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  30. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

' AI can't be built '