1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

I mean, it's still true as written...

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Phrasing!

Gotta keep brand recognition.

Don't forget Ganthlet.

Or they both at least pull off a convincing act, like Hinon.

It's possible she'll also stop valuing it in time.

Remember that while biologically and chronologically she may be the same age as them, she's also spent the last few billion years in a coma, so she may still have some mental development to go through.

The younger ones may just be trying to emulate their seniors.

Well, that's very, very awkward.

Where there's a will there's a way.

'explained'

'built'

Careful that you don't make Power Ring Skynet.

Also it may not work.

At least blue and green are compatible, but orange and green...

'done a good'

'Galaxy or'

3. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

done

4. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

5. Mr Zoat

If the Guardians remote fry your AI, your environmental shield gets a flame effect.

6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Oh, good lord. You really do love starting off with such entertainingly suggestive lines. Still, I doubt they're talking about Malvolio's physique. So, he's made a Central Power Battery based of his own lantern...

To be fair, the Green Lantern insignia is a fairly simple iconographic design: A ring with bars above and below (and is the shape the Green Light flows through naturally...) Easy to customise for personal uniforms... Just look at Kyle Rayner's evolving outfits. Just don't mention his dog-collar period...

And I find myself picturing it looking like the 'Tangent' Green Lantern. Though I suspect a few more martially-inclined Lanterns converted into something more like a large mace... They could literally 'lamp' someone. :p

Image is everything, even when it comes to protecting the galaxy. Though knowing the Guardians, it's likely just...

...Ideological inertia. They don't plan to change it because it's not worth the effort of redoing 7200+ agents' equipment... Never mind the redecorating they'd need to employ on Oa.

Well, some. It's not like every Guardian who appeared in the comics was always named. Though I don't see OL sharing the exact nature of his extra-universal origins with Malvolio anytime soon.

In other words, the namelessness thing is a teenage fad. :D I like that idea, it's so monumentally silly.

Ah. I take it he didn't know his biological father growing up. That would have made his life a lot harder back then.

...Now, when you say 'assailing', is it like accidentally walking on on your parents...

:oops: ...Right! That'd be quite the shock. Especially if his father wasn't one of those many extremely human-like species.

I mean, you have Enlightenment on your side. I would not be surprised to find Guy can manage it too, but I would hope he'd leave the ring off for fun times with Tora. x3

...And yet you still put it on and kept it on... You were a self-centred kid, weren't you?

Or to put it another way: The Ring requested he report to OA for basic training, he told it to sod off...

...And the Guardians killed the onboard software. Because why bother just ordering the ring to return?

Eh, Ring AI isn't really smart enough to be self-aware in general. It's more like a good VI, with most apparently independent functions merely being effective subroutines.

Preferably not with your own gear, I would hope. Nor outside of a safe lab. I wonder, would Construct-Lantern Rings be different to Controller-made Rings in that sense...

I guess Priest decided on his own to train the rookie ring-wielder. I doubt the Guardians would have ordered it, nor been happy about it afterwards...

Hm... A force of what would effectively be Sherrifs, each assigned to their own world, perhaps? It would definitely be a bit more reliable than the Guardians' two Lanterns per sector, managing dozens of worlds (if not hundreds.)

Indeed. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it with that long to work at it.

Ah. Well, nobody's perfect. I bet he's been thinking of them as magic artefacts, not simply advanced technology...

I dunno, Kalmin doesn't really like to repeat himself... But on the other hand, creating a Ring VI for a non-Guardian Green Ring... That would be an entertaining challenge for him, or his students.

Indeed. I figure any emotion in you is so admixed with Will that it's like being Enlightened...

:rolleyes: Pff, they don't like him much as it is. You think he's concerned about them liking him any less?

Admittedly, if he becomes a problem down the line, things could get interesting.

Well, this will be amusing for all involved. Dul, Onik and Xor are very different people... I wonder what Malvolio will make of such diverse characters wielding the same light?

Well, the meeting should be quite the show. Just seeing the reactions of each of the Lanterns will be amusing. Especially Onik. It'll be curious to see what he makes of someone as... Steeped... in the Green Light as Malvolio is, and the fact he killed his own Lantern father to gain that power...

...Which handily explains the appearance of those people in the comics who could use the Spectrum without a ring... Alan and Jade Scott, for example. ;) Nice.

7. timeForced

timeForced Getting some practice in, huh?

I'm pretty sure Xor and Malvolio are going to hit it off like Peanut Butter and Chocolate. Like goddamn, always honor all the time guy and old school Christian Lord? Let's hope they don't get a crusade going.

Relyt33, Ardy, Prince Charon and 4 others like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The older ones apparently don't care for their names all that much, but the teenagers took it further and lack them.

He was apparently a very big humamoid.

It may be because Malvolio could stop it from leaving.

To be fair, they're kinda both.

Relyt33, Ardy, Bud-E and 2 others like this.
  9. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

The potential here! The atmosphere of (somewhat vivisected) hope! Ah, this reminds me of fanfics that have multiple Jedi Orders running around (genuine ones, not Sith-guided plots). Or the rare TV episode which has law enforcement from 2+ countries cooperating to capture a target. Compatible, but distinct philosophies make the man wise and mankind stable.

Good luck to you, Malvolio. Maybe your ring AI will take the form of a construct-parrot or a construct-raven when speaking to appease any pre-industrial Greens you recruit.

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Vindication at last!

Lokpik, Relyt33 and Silveraith like this.
  11. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

So functionally i assume Marvollo build a light fountain like the one that drove Larfreeze mad but since it's Green not orange it not as big of an issue.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Relyt33 like this.
  12. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Paul should be able to detect that with a scan, given that his ring AI was able to modify Alan’s lantern on day one AND it has plenty of Controller data on Lanterns in it.

Relyt33 likes this.
  13. Mr Zoat

I mean... He has a huge penis too...
    He might have previously thought that his father was his mother's husband.
    No, he put it on to contain it in the belief that more devils would escape if it was unattended.

14. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Prove it!

15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I mean, what did you expect? That he did the math for a singularity gun in his head?

I think assimilating a Lantern is a lot easier than analysing complex meta-physics. He basically just pushed orange light into it.

ChestBurster and Relyt33 like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

I don't believe that Lord Malvolio has seen him do that.

17. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well if they do the Reach got stuck with the role of the Saracens.

Fine if you really want it that badly then here's your Dick pic

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I remember these little fics CloakedSparrow would write in Ao3 focusing on the Bat Family.

One of them had Dick sending pictures of himself to the others and calling them Dick Picks, and unfortunately one of them had him shirtless and somebidy thought something nefarious was going on.

Fortunately it was resolved and he stopped.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  19. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Nice;)

20. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

You had to pick the literal easiest one to use as an example.
    Singularity Gun ÷0

21. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Calculus is not that easy.

Hell's Razer and ChestBurster like this.
  22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No, I didn't, but a lot of people in this thread did and were very adamant about arguing it. :D

23. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

The answer is infinity, or well, sorta kinda. Infinities and zeros are weird in math. And singularities tend to be even weirder in real world physics. They get downright bizarre in comic book physics.

ChestBurster likes this.
  24. Threadmarks: A Waltz in Orange and Green (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

10th September 2012
    11:44 GMT

"Lord Malvolio, permit me to introduce Lantern Xor, Lantern Dul and Lantern Onik."

Despite Malvolio's size, Xor is still quite a bit larger than him. Neither of them seem particularly concerned about their physical size; Malvolio is perfectly confident that his will and ring-power would be sufficient in any fight and Xor is perfectly used to being around smaller people. Dul on the other hand is clearly more interested in the giant personal lantern while Onik can't decide what he's more interested in.

"I greet you. I am Lord Malvolio of the Green Flame, sovereign lord of the region of space you know as Sector Sixteen Thirty Four and the ruler of its people."

Dul's eyes narrow slightly. "I didn't think that Green Lanterns were allowed to rule entire Sectors."

"I am not beholden to the Guardians of Oa. Nay, indeed, their agents are dispatched to act against me and dispute my will and rightful rule."

Ah…

"You're not a part of the Green Lantern Corps."

"Indeed I am not."

"When you say 'act against me', do you mean that Green Lanterns are attacking your empire right now?"

"No, worry not. Priest confronted me ere I sojourned from mine place of imprisonment, but I dispatched him swiftly."

"'Dispatched' as in dead, or..?"

"He lives, disarmed and isolated. The love I bore him as mine tutor is such that e'en now, slaying him would not sit well with me. As for the rest, they have scouted mine domains and been instructed to leave by mine fleets. Matters have not yet escalated."

"But you think that they will?"

"I would strive for a position of power whether they do or not."

"Fair enough. Any other questions for our host?"

"Are you recruiting?"

Lantern Dul barely waited for me to finish talking before asking the question. I frown, my eyes darting to Malvolio's hands. No second ring, but there's no reason why it wouldn't be somewhere else on his person. I can't imagine that he'd have sent it back to Oa, though I suppose that it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he let it go under the assumption that it would select someone in the Sector who was already loyal to him.

"I will anoint those amongst my men whom I judge capable and worthy."

"So don't bother posting advertisements in the Thanagarian Empire because they're never going to get it."

"No, but Thanagar would be happy to trade for the services of Lanterns."

"And I may treat with ambassadors and I may in the fullness of time make such strategic alliances as are convenient to me. But such is not our purpose here."

"It's no secret that I can make personal lanterns. Lord Malvolio-" I gesture to his… I'm not sure what it qualifies as. Secondary Green Central Power Battery? Coterie Lantern? "-has rather surpassed my efforts to date, and neither of us have successfully made a ring. Since these are both learnable skills, that's what we'll be studying today."

"The creation of this Great Lantern took many weeks of dedicated effort. I am curious to observe your efforts."

I doff my armour and sit cross-legged on the floor, my eyes nearly closed but my empathic vision turned up all the way. Malvolio's presence is near-blinding, but I've gotten a better feel for the others during our time here and can easily… See where their desires integrate with mine.

I also note that Lantern Xor has sat down and is studying me as carefully as he can. Yes, he's probably closest to being able to understand this.

"Almost every being has within them some contact with each of the lights. The network of strands which build up their nature, their desires. To make a lantern you must first learn to perceive them not as a series of strands but as the interface, the point at which the raw stuff of desire diffuses one way and the specificality of desire diffuses the other."

I don't look at anyone else. I'm simply going to use my own, and my conscious connection to the Honden as what I manifest. I hold out my hands, the faint wire frame outline of a lantern appearing and the point already 'tied' to the orange light glowing just a little brighter. The point just above the core is at once a solid position in the lantern's structure and my desire to avoid nullity. A part of the handle my desire for camaraderie. And on and on until the structure is essentially solid, shimmering as not completely 'real', but still there in a way a normal construct is not.

I managed that last time, though far more haphazardly than I'm doing now. But the bit I completely messed up is the bit that comes next: using the structure I've built to link the structure to the light itself, to the Honden itself.

From the incredibly specific to the non-specific. From me to all. And back again. The complexity of the individual and the vastness of the Honden.

It's shining, shimmering, being at once in the material universe and outside it as the points marked by my manifested desires alter the laws of reality just enough to make that possible. I take a few moments to look at it as it becomes self-sustaining and then fade back into the room.

Ring, time?

10th September 2012
    15:29 GMT

Hm. Reasonable.

Xor's eyes are glowing while Onik is staring with an expression which… That's religious ecstasy, isn't it? Dul is ignoring it in favour of watching Lord Malvolio. I can't tell what he's thinking, but I do get a small respectful nod as I emerge more fully from my trance.

The personal lantern… Looks good. Better than my first effort, at least. I take my current personal lantern out of subspace and set them side by side on the deck.

Ring, how did I do?

No faults detected.

Ah. Well, Hinon's the expert and I'll have to have her give it a once-over, but I think I can be reasonably pleased with that.

Xor blinks, shaking his head.

"Illustres, I could not understand what you did."

"Lantern Dul?"

"My ring could see what you were doing with the construct power, but I couldn't get anything else."

"I see. Lantern Onik?"

"You made a personal lantern."

"Y-es, that-."

"You made a personal lantern you made a personal lantern you made a…"

"Lord Malvolio?"

"For how long have you wielded a ring?"

"A little over two years."

"I required decades of instruction afore I could do so much."

"Bonding with the Ophidian gave me perspective that most mortals lack. So for the rest of you, here's what I did."

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Onik seems like he's about to faint from the religions implications of Paul's act. Was he not a member of the OLC the last time Paul did this?

That should say 'at'.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Dude is probably shocked to be sitting next to someone most of his people would consider a god and is interested in what his teacher has to say.

'I don my armour'

'as he sits'

He is your best student.

Though some lack it.

Like Canis and Sally Sonic.

'of my desire'

You spent nearly four hours in there.

Well this isn't worrying at all.

No siree.

27. ChestBurster

ChestBurster Getting sticky.

It's lines like these that makes me wish I could personally look at the characters' reactions in the story. It's just so suitably dramatic and awesome in the "invoking old magic" kind of way.

28. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

This is about the point where we should expect Malvolio to suddenly summon Ion, now that he knows that it will probably help him make more rings. Or at least strain something in the effort of attempting to.

29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So Lanterns are...semi-permeable membranes, filtering the unspecified Light down to a form that the Rings can turn specific, purpose bound.

Not just wanting or needing but wanting or needing a shield for instance.

And they do this by being incredible precise themselves, using the contrast as the filter mechanism?

The Rings allow for that specification.

But they also need no AI to do so, no complex guidance mechanism.

What is the part of the mind that condences vague desire into concrete goals?

Could it be that the Rings are constructed from pure awareness of a certain colour? The act of simply observing a light without being part if it? Similar to that excercise were they detached from desire while still aware of it...

If that's the case, then the reason Paul and Malovio fail may be that they are too close to their Lights.

30. thepsyborg

thepsyborg Not too sore, are you?

No, doff is correct. It's the opposite of don, to take off rather than putting on. Survived longest in regular use in the expression "doffed his cap", although even that is pretty archaic (as is the gesture it describes, actually).