1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    The difference is that the Shadows had a thing for violent conflict and the Orange Lantern Corps teaches collaboration.
    I hold up my hand to stop him, though given that Dr. Franklin is in full denunciation mode if takes him a few moments to notice.

"Alright, so you can't cut the skin. Is there a reason why you can't just use a sonic scalpel?"

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That still doesn't make it okay.

Well that's one tragedy averted.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

She passed the Jack Harkness test.

4. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

One of the issues I have with "want the end, want the means" is that one might not know all the means available, so the take the hammer approach to a screw problem.

Now, obviously you gotta go with the means available - an Infinity Gauntlet would solve the issue easily, but that's just not an option in DC. However, there may be a low hanging fruit in the tech tree to develop a new means, even if one isn't presently available.

If your end doesn't justify your means, then you either have a wrong end, or the wrong means.

5. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I feel the SI is being a little unduly pessimistic on the potential for coercion-based reform. Ships and installations are expensive to build. I have to imagine they're more expensive than whatever value a nest can extract from slaves and whatever else they may steal during a pirate raid.

If Vode-M were in fact able to arrange it so every single act of Nest aggression is met with overwhelming retaliation that destroyed ships and installations, then eventually it's just not going to be economically practical to keep doing it. Nests will have to figure out some other way to exist, and once they've done that for a generation or two there will be less incentive to go back to pirate raids. Actually, he says something like that himself early in the update.

Whiteeyes, Vorian and Bramble Thorn like this.
  6. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

"recalled" I think it was supposed to be. Autocorrect.

Prince Charon and Mr Zoat like this.
  7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Hmm. Is Vode-M going to access the Red light?

Someone who can match their hatred and rage with Will would be a good Red Lantern. Not the most powerful, but they’d be useful when there is war to be had or problems that are hard to Avarice your way out of. Heh, that’d be funny: Red lanterns becoming scientists, philosophers, and social dynamics experts because of disdain at their culture’s ignorance, their flaws.

I wonder how well Vode-M would be able to transfer her feelings to cultures with the same sort of traits as the Spiders. Will she be useful after this campaign, however it ends? Or would she work best as a Red Malvolio- supreme within her domain, but not engaging with the wider universe. I… could see someone (with guidance) facilitating the growth of a new Spider culture over the course of a few generations after wiping out all the adults. If a Red Malvolio could exist, why not “hate the problem” until it stops existing?

Reminds me of Paragon-Paul’s mantra about “Want the endstate, then you must Want the solution/path to reach it.”

Whiteeyes, Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Threadmarks: The Ancestor
    Mr Zoat

The Ancestor

Spring

Why are we here, grandson? Our people come here at this time each year, following the path-.

No, no child, I was not mocking you. Our people paint the rocks to remember our history and the history of the world. I come here each year to remember when the history of the world painted me.

No, my mother did not bear me here. No, she and my father did not make me here. Here… No, just over there, is where I met The Ancestor.

Ah, now you are interested. Yes, the figure we paint in white and orange clay. No, he was not made of white and orange clay, of course not! Are real kangaroos made of red clay? Yes, his skin was white as bone. No-. Hush, grandson. I cannot explain if you do not listen.

There. And here, you see? This is where I painted it onto the rock, when I was only a little older than you are now. Yes, it does look like a scowling face. I said the same thing to him, many years ago. No, he was not angry. What did he say? He had a strange way of speaking, but as I remember it…

'Everything has to look like something'.

What did he mean? Ah, let me see. That rock, there? What shapes do you see in it? The crack, like a river seen from above? The shadow, like the body of a spider? But it is not a river and it is not a spider. Just like that, and his magic lantern was not angry. It just looked a little like a face that was angry.

The colour? Oh yes. And just as we draw him every year, the orange colour surrounded his bone white skin, and shone from his lantern.

Feel? It didn't really feel like anything. Perhaps it is because our skin is so much darker than his, that makes it harder to see. Or perhaps because it was a very long time ago, and I am very old now.

No, I don't think that happens when you get sick. And he didn't look sick.

Do you want me to tell you what happened?

Well. I came here because I wanted to see what was here. My friends were either busy, or they had their own tasks, or they were simply not interested. I came up… Just over there, because I was young and the steep slope was less of a challenge-.

Yes, you can climb up it later. Yes, I will catch you if you fall off.

And-. Yes, and I saw him sitting just there, with his spear with no point, and the torch which shines orange without fire or heat. It was leaning against the rock, just… There, I think-. No, no, there, he moved it over there later.

No, he wasn't making his own drawings.

No, I wasn't afraid. I was confused, like seeing a picture come to life when it should have stayed a picture. I stood there, there was a tree there at the time, for a few moments. And he didn't look at me, but after those few moments he said, 'do you want to talk with me?'.

I didn't know. I looked around, because perhaps he meant someone else, my father or my mother or one of the elders. But there was no one else there, and… I did want to see what was up here. Meeting the Ancestor certainly would make the short journey worth while.

So I came down, and then he looked at me. No, only the part around the black was orange. He was more a man than a dream. Yes, I touched him, and his skin just felt like skin. A little colder to the touch, but nothing too strange. I asked if he had always been there.

He said, it felt like it.

I didn't understand. Had he been sitting just up this ridge, waiting for someone to find him?

He said no. He wanted to see what our people were doing. I said, 'the same thing as last year'. He said that he wasn't there last year, so he didn't know what that was. I said that it was probably the same as the year before. He nodded his head, and said that it probably was, but he hadn't been there that year, either. He said that he hadn't been here for a very long time, and that it was so long ago that what we did might have changed a little.

No, his hair was not white like his skin. It was brown, and not very long.

I asked him how long it had been. He said… I do not exactly remember, but it was a very large number of-. Yes, more years than I have been alive. I told you, I was not much older than you are now when I spoke with him. More than that. So long that I do not think that my father's father's father would have been born then. He asked me to tell him all about our people, and said that in return he would answer any questions I had about anything I wanted to know.

What did I do? What could I do, where the Ancestor himself asked me about our people? I told him the big things, our people's origin, and where we walk throughout the year. I told him the small things, the pretty stone one of my friends had and the way my brother held his spear when he was hunting. I told him about the foods I liked and the work I did not like. And he nodded, and he smiled, and he listened, until I ran out of things to say.

And then he asked me what I would like to hear him talk about? Did I want to hear how our people first came to this part of the world? Or how they lived, or how they learned to hunt kangaroos and wombats for the first time? I asked-.

Yes, I asked that. Have they not always hunted kangaroos and wombats?

He told me that we live on a very big island, and that most of the animals here don't live anywhere else. So before we came here, we hunted something else.

I asked him if he saw it, and he said that he did. He said that he was not as old as the very first people, but that he had seen more of the world than anyone else.

I looked at the rock, and saw that nothing was drawn upon it. So I asked if the pictures were really part of the dream. Did they really keep the world in the shape that it is. And he said that they did, in part. That it was the picture in the dream and in our dreams that made the world the shape it was, but that since we could not see the dream, we made pictures to remind us of the shape of the dream, so that we could dream it properly.

But I did not understand. So I asked him what the very first people he met hunted. And he told me that the very first people he met had not hunted. The first people he met were very small, and took only the meat left by the cats. And when they were not careful enough, the cats would not run as the animals we hunt run, but would chase them down, play with them, and then slowly eat them.

Yes, I asked that as well. He told me that they are like dingoes, only far larger, with claws on their feet. And they did not like hunting as a pack, but hunted alone as much as possible.

Where? Far from here. He said that there have never been cats here, and that cats in other places are much smaller as the people are much bigger. I asked, 'how that could be?', and he told me that a very long time ago one of those small people had asked him how they could get large enough to fight the cats. He said that he told the one who asked him that it would need every one of his people to dream that the people were mighty and that the cats were weak, To dream that they had always been mighty hunters and fierce warriors while the cats had always been weak and stupid animals.

And that they should dream him having an orange torch on a stick that looked like an angry face.

I think that must have been what he meant. All of our drawings show him with his torch, even the very oldest ones faded into the rock. But if he was so very old, older than the first of our people to live here, then he would be older than all of the pictures.

Coming here? No, he said that can not happen. The man he told that went to every people he could, telling them how to dream, how to change themselves from hiding from the cats to ruling them. And one day so many of them dreamed it so well that it became true.

Yes, he told me that we do not need to worry about cats. Whatever they are. Wherever they are.

And when that happened, he got his strange torch, and he began to travel-.

Yes, I suppose so. If people stopped dreaming that things are so, then they might stop being so. And so-.

Yes, you can paint a picture of yourself if you really want to. But it will not change anything unless everyone in the world dreams the same thing.

Yes, what everyone dreams is what they are shown. But there are many more people than our people, and very few of them have heard of you.

Has he? Perhaps. Or perhaps he will hear about you from your own grandson, next time he visits our people.

Roughly 50000 Years Before I Was Born

I wish.

Bloody cats.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  9. Doru

Doru Digimon, Gamer, and Deviant

Tldr, Paul goes back in time and encounters prehistoric humans. We are told this story by a ancient Australian to his son.

Also something about dream magic effecting the world.

10. Tbryan

Tbryan Know what you're doing yet?

11. Impatient_Quill

Impatient_Quill I trust you know where the happy button is?

TLDR; Paul of the Blood Tribe is the oldest Lantern.

12. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

The Dream does affect the world in DC, though that is also true of many settings. And I think this is an Alt-Paul that started out in the distant past and decided to do a twofer of helping humanity and getting a lantern.

13. Redhawk

Redhawk Getting out there.

I believe that’s a reference to a weird issue of Sandman where it’s implied that Cats once ruled the world until humanity dreamed otherwise.

14. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Wait... did he start a continent-sized religion in Australia trying to dream cats smaller because it's the only continent with a human population, yet no cat population?
    Is the rest of the planet still occupied by giant intelligent hostile cats?

edit: To be even more clear, I suspect that Paul is lying to these people to exploit their dreams to pursue his geopolitical objectives. Either he only got a lantern out of dreams, or he got a lantern from somewhere completely different and is lying about having gotten it from dreams in order to make his story more convincing, or he's faking having a lantern, so these people will dream him with a lantern based on their memories of him.
    This would be why he isn't uplifting these people, he's allowing them to stay at a technological level that will be ignorant of things outside of Australia.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  15. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

Huh, neat.

I swear, the more I hear about the Sandman comics, the more I want to give some a shot.

16. edmantgoog

edmantgoog Not too sore, are you?

Now then I am not one to suggest psychoactive substance wile reading certain comics to make them more fun.

17. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

This was a good one! It's always fun to see some more Sandman elements and an alt Paul is a good way to explore some of the more mind bending parts.

Cuchulin and mauke like this.
  18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yea... I have no idea what this is supposed to be... Not the least because of "been though a dozen bad translations" way it reads.

19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Boy, this was an interesting trip. I'm guessing an Australian Aboriginal elder telling a tale, or some other folk, from the context. I get the feeling other cutaways this episode will be similarly esoteric...

And when something is capitalised like that, you know it's Important.

So, an alternate Paul stuck in - or a future OL visiting - the distant past. And having a chance encounter with a young local boy.

A reference to the sigil of the Orange Light, of course. Which does look like a face crying for 'more, more, more'.

Bet that'd be a confusing one for the archaeologists a long time from now. "Ah, yes, clearly some kind of divine figure. A Creator God, possibly..."

Heh, the crotchety annoyance of the old talking to the easily distracted young...

"And then tell you off for rushing. Because a climb like this must be done slowly, or you fall."

Hmm. Carrying a staff? Unusual for OL, but likely for an alternate...

And give you quite the tale for silly youngsters one day. :p

Heh. The joy of waiting, I suppose.

Hmm... Definitely been around a while, then...

...And playing the part of the wise old elder in turn.

A very subtle little prompt in those words, I see.

Definitely Australia, then. More unique species than most other places on Earth.

It's not so much the pictures, then, but the story they represent. And presumably, this Paul is more closely tied to the Dreaming, and thus the Endless...

Ah, yes, the Dream of A Thousand Cats. Like Thryan linked, a show of what dreams can do when done the right way...

And in this timeline, Paul was the one to suggest the Dream spell? Clever.

Ha! So not only freeing people from feline tyranny, but also acquiring a Lantern for himself. Resembling the one from Tangent Green Lantern.

Because as we saw in the story, convincing even a dozen cats to do something is near-impossible, let alone a thousand, or a million...

Which ties into the beliefs of various Australian tribes. No, they don't have one monolithic faith, just like the First Peoples of America didn't.

Not unless he decides to go out and see many people, like that man The Ancestor mentioned.

Heh, Ancestor Paul listening in from afar, I see.

Quite the interesting diversion. And oddly, I'm reminded of the prehistoric bits of, what was it, Final Crisis? Where Metron gives primitive mankind a symbol that would eventually ward them from Anti-life. Bet you had fun getting off the beaten track like this, Mr Zoat.

20. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Shouldn't he have asked them to dream a lantern if Avarice instead?

21. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Gotta admit, this was one of those "I'll just skim this and trust the other readers to explain the reference" chapters.

22. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

I do really like the idea of UPLIFT paul.

23. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

He did? The orange lantern sigil looks kinda like an angry face and they said the lantern was orange.

24. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

25. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Reminds me very much of The Last
    Continent, by pratchett.

26. m_d

m_d Fascinated by storytelling

Missing period at the end of the sentence.

Close.

Out of curiosity, was there a set of gender markers that I didn't notice? It's not obvious to me that there's anything definitive there for the speaker. Talk of age, yes, and of journeying, and having a friend with a pretty stone, and a brother who hunts with a spear, but none of that pins anything down for me. There's speaking in the form of "father's father's father", for ancestors, but culturally, some speak of forefathers in a way that refers to ancestors generally, regardless of gender of the speaker or indeed the ancestors, much like the gender neutral "he" when speaking of people in general in some cases. Not being critical, genuinely curious, as I pictured a grandmother, even if not consciously noting firm gender markers, so I found the other references a bit jarring because I hadn't noticed I was unconsciously doing that until reading the comments.

27. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I am. I recommend acid and weed.

Shame Paul did not see any Quoll, he could have more easily described cats.

28. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Missing a full stop in there.

29. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

First time I've thought of that since reading the side story... Preludes and Nocturnes, I think? The world contains a paradox due to a mistake Morpheus made, a tall ship appears in Destiny's path and it isn't in his Book, and Dream and "Dream of Cats" - the only alternate Dream who doesn't disappear from a Conclave of Dreams - have to use a similar phenomenon to save the universe. Also the story in which we meet the Endless's parents - Father Time, and Mother Night (who lives inside black holes).

Neat callback, which I completely missed. I am not good at Spot checks.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Morgomir and 2 others like this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'moved it'

'that year'

'could, telling'

They apparently already did when he first asked them about dreaming of the cats as weak.

Anyway...

This chapter was trippy as hell and made me think that I need weed to figure out what's happening.

So basically Zoat managed to capture the spirit of a Gaiman comic.