1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

What is an OAP?

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Old Age Pensioner

3. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

I mean evil in general, anything Controllers think is no good and bad. What have the Controllers done with their power that's greater than any god?

I was also referencing the problem of evil, the most basic criteria for refuting a god being positive thing. If the controllers are more powerful than god what have they done compared to the Greenies, at least they're trying to affect positive change.

Cuchulin and Whiteeyes like this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well they've created planets, which the gods in this fic may not be able to do, but the Presence may be able to do it.

The Controllers are also trying to affect positive change.

They've fought against threats like the Anti-Monitor and are now fighting the Reach.

Though yeah, I think Hinon was just being arrogant here.

They're strong, but there are a whole lot of other things that are stronger than them.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  5. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Sungate, part 1

11th September 2012
    08:28 GMT

"-tres?"

Toren?

I take a moment to get my bearings. I'm in bed-. Right, all that stuff with Malvolio yesterday. His fleet is still in the system, and the people of Karax were getting a little excited about having a Green Central Power Battery come and visit them. But apart from booking Onik on a media relations course there wasn't anything for me to do about that.

Toren's on the other side of the door. The rooms aren't exactly spacious, but I was able to bring the bed up to my standards. I pull the duvet aside and float onto the floor.

"I'm awake. Do you need me immediately?"

"No, not immediately. I want to let you know that my partner has arrived."

"In case Malvolio comes back-" Light armour, check appearance… "-or are they here for me?"

"You, though she's not here as additional security." I walk over to the door and open it, greeting Lantern Toren with a nod. "Lantern Vode-M has been an active opponent of the Spider Guild. She wants to join you."

"Nifty. Did you know that we don't have a rule against members of the Orange Lantern Corps being members of other organisations?"

"I meant that she wants to join you in fighting against the Spider Guild. The Green Lantern Corps-."

"Has agreements that you can't breach due to wider concerns, which neatly illustrates the difference between the philosophies of the Guardians and the Controllers."

"Which is?"

"The Guardians would like to have two Lanterns in every Sector in the universe, whereas the Controllers would rather have a hundred Lanterns in the handful of Sectors that need it."

"Regardless of the repercussions?"

"Because of the repercussions. An Orange Lantern who has decided to kill someone isn't going to be put off by the fact that they have to kill them."

He leads the way through the monastery towards the knot of green light I see.

"That suggests a lack of discipline."

"We recognise it as an extrinsic good. Orange Lanterns who really want to make suicide attacks against Reach fleets aren't prevented from doing so, though it is explained to them that that's a really inefficient way to fight. If they can't make that want-the-end, want-the-means jump, then they're probably incapable of learning more anyway."

He glances at me with a disappointed expression on his face.

"Do you recruit many Lanterns like that?"

"No. Just a few, to test the viability of the system. Not only are people who sacrifice their 'self' to the orange light like that impossible to involve in any sort of complex battle plan, but it turns out that their surge power isn't all that great. A Lantern who trains for a few months and actually learns something can actually hit harder. So unless we're desperate for offensive power, the whole practice has been suspended."

"Ah."

He nods, mollified.

"So, Vode-M. Are you informing me of her presence, or warning me?"

"I'm not sure what you're expecting, but I've always found her quite easy to get along with."

I smile.

"How novel. Has she had breakfast yet?"

"She has a little trouble with Karaxian food. When she studied here she survived on noodles."

"Perhaps something from Earth would be easier?"

"That would be contrary to everything I know about your homeworld."

"Yeah, that's fair. Though if it helps, One Six Three Four is probably going to be more exciting in the next few years."

"The one Sector with another human in it."

"Two Eight Two Eight has a human in it."

He looks at me.

"Okay, bad example. But Malvolio is only half human."

"Do you know how rare it is for humanoid species to be capable of reproducing with one another?"

"H-eh."

I bow my head. Should I be proud or ashamed that humans are known for being fecund and dangerously crazy? I mean… As I said, it's not unreasonable.

"Of course, if that carries over into hybrids, it's really only a matter of time until everyone shares the ability."

I've been assuming that it's a product of Earth's high magic level, but that shouldn't apply to humans born away from the planet. So the universe should be relatively safe.

We emerge from the monastery corridor into one of their open air internal courtyards, Lantern Vode-M floating in a meditative pose in the centre. Relatively standard pattern humanoid, her skin has a slight orange tint to it and her hair is impractically long. Her eyes have been replaced by cybernetics which remind me of the ones some of the Qwardians have, curved lenses over the eye socket rather than anything designed to mimic the appearance of normal eyes. Thin black tattoos radiate out from the outer edge of each in jagged arcs. Her uniform is a black body stocking with green armoured boots, gauntlets and cuirass, and she appears to have followed Guy's lead in acquiring an ex-Halla stun gun.

Since her eyes don't move any longer I can't tell where she's looking, but I raise my right hand in greeting anyway.

"Lantern Vode-M. Am I parsing that correctly?"

"Yes."

She doesn't turn to face me, but I suppose that with how her visual field works that's probably irrelevant to her.

"I wish to join your crusade. I want to destroy the Spider Guild."

"Neat."

"Neat?"

"I'm fairly sure that our rules of engagement would get you thrown out of the Green Lantern Corps, so unless you're planning on jumping ship, this is something that we're going to have to discuss at length. Have you eaten?"

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  6. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

The spider-queen could easily tweak her offspring to make them not like eating sapients.
    The other groups could be adjusted with the orange light.

7. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Toren's Earth bashing is still funny. Is this just a joke or are you setting up an eventual plot where he visits earth and all his fears are confirmed true?

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

breach

9. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

That'd be hilarious.

Doccer, Senevri, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That's a really strange assumption for Paragon to have given everything he has to know about the Legion of Superhero's and their future...

CTrees, Cuchulin and Handlewithcare like this.
  11. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

He shows up when Luthor decides he needs another giant robot/radioactive ape to fight Superman

12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

:eek: Whoops, another early post (Well, early for me and my GMT+10 butt.) Gotta remember to keep checking these days. And a new Episode begins... With an abrupt awakening for OL. Doesn't look like an emergency, at least...

Heh. I suspect the Karaxian government is getting just a little annoyed with the disruptions. Can't imagine what the more fanatical worshippers are getting up to, though...

Or is there time to put actual clothes on? Since OL's pyjamas aren't likely to serve as the most intimidating outfit available.

In either case, are they loaded for bear? Because neither Malvolio or OL are pushovers...

Though I suspect the Guardians will have a few choice words about poaching Green Lanterns. :rolleyes:

Which handily explains yesterday's little discussion, eh? Still, I don't expect she's had an easy time of it...

Otherwise known as the "Don't make us come over there." doctrine. :D

Indeed, if they deem it worthy, they'll likely celebrate the removal of an arsehole from the universe. Provided they can justify it?

You try herding people powered by doing what they want to. You should be glad the people with rings can at least follow orders.

Yes, it does sound bad when he puts it like that, but... Do you really expect them to waste rings on people like that?

I wonder how many of them went full Larfleeze? :D And how amusing would it be if that was the in-Corps term for Orange Light Overload?

Yeah, they're not like the Yellow Lanterns (in the comics, at least,) recruiting people who should never be allowed near a power ring in the first place... There's a reason Sinestro kept them them on as short a leash as he could...

Especially if you have similar views on Spider Guilders, I expect?

...Thank goodness for Ring-based sanitary systems, eh? Or is it just a matter of taste, rather than digestive incompatibilities?

...I don't know. Maybe her species might enjoy some of the more extreme forms of Earth Food. A nice Curry, perhaps?

Now, now, Malvolio isn't wholly Human. Don't hold that against him.

That would be the Vega Sector, and Captain Comet, if memory serves me correctly.

I'm pretty sure he does, yes. But, say it with us: Earth is Bullshit™ crazy.

Given how much of our science fiction involves... x3 Boldly going and Boldly Coming? At least some races appreciate that approach.

Or, you know, the White Light Entity's presence. And are you forgetting the 'Legion of Superheroes' era, OL? All those Human-like 'aliens' and half-human hybrids had to come from somewhere...

I'm betting the cyber-eyes are a memento of a Spider Guild raid. I wonder if she'll do anything about them if she gets an Orange Ring, or if they're so much a part of her self-image that they won't be touched.

Which only raises the question: Is it pronounced like Vode-Em (rhyming with Code) or Vo-de-Em (Rhyming with 'No Day'). (Mr Zoat: "Yes.") Either way, it sounds a bit Kryptonian with that dangling syllable.

Never mind the perceptual enhancements the Ring can provide.

Now, how mad would you like to make the Guardians today, OL?

Something like this should definitely not be discussed on an empty stomach...

I can already picture the Guardians rubbing their temples at the headache this is going to cause them. Assuming the lady shows any aptitude for Orange Light use anyway, after so long with the Green. Though that title worries me a little. :confused: Are we about to see a Suneater making an appearance? Or is it more... Innocuous... Either way, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

mastermenthe, Vorian, Ardy and 10 others like this.
  13. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

They're from the future in a comic book, if they don't have gene-editing that's basically magic (as is Sci-Fi tradition) I'll eat all the hats I don't have.

Vorian, Ardy, Cuchulin and 1 other person like this.
  14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Plus there is one version where alot of those "aliens" are in fact descendents of human colonists.

Infectious Lass was a freaking human.

[​IMG]

Yes, the bug antennae help forming a symbiotic relationship with every disease causing microbe ever.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh, she's the one that was so aggressive her family went into hiding to avoid retaliation from the spiders.

Heh.

Like Ramen.

He's not wrong.

Unless they keep that ability when they leave the planet.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Burning images of Paul and cursing him.

He just has that effect on people.

Hey, you never know.

For some his pajamas may be what executioners wear.

They may do it for an experiment.

You never go full Larfleeze.

Though they still recruit people with a troubled background.

One guy invaded peaceful societies and another was most likely a serial killer.

Though he may not be there much longer.

In his last conversation with Paul he mentioned going back to Earth.

He either forgot about it or just thought it was the era's advanced tech rather than anything natural.

17. Sorrow

Sorrow Getting sticky.

Orange Lantern Paul: It-it's not usually this bad...

Toren: *Looks at the smoldering city scape* Oh? When was it last time it was like this?

Orange Lantern Paul: Well, there was... No, bad example. Then there was.... no. No, lets not talk about THAT.... Okay! There was.... Errrr, you know what? Let's just forget it!

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I would expect the fecundy to be more the result of the White Entity living in earth.

I could totally see it squeel and be all like "Uuuh! More adorable hybrid babies! Gimme!"

19. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ The Giver of warm hugs

Oh no the ailiens are getting wise

Stupidsexyhumans

What is his Spider lover up to these days?

Life finds a way

20. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Food of the gods, just be sure to avoid the pot noodle.
    More seriously there is also Soba and Italian food.

Whiteeyes likes this.
  21. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

I like the idea that humans are seen as Universe-16's cross between the asari and the krogan.

With some salarian for the mad science.

22. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Like a slutty version of Doc Brown.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I've been assuming 'Vode-Em', but I suppose that you'd haev to ask DC Editorial.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So basically Rick Sanchez.

Handlewithcare and Whiteeyes like this.
  25. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

From context, the highlighted sentence doesn't make sense unless it was supposed to be something like

"Because of the repercussions. An Orange Lantern who has decided to kill someone isn't going to be put off by the fact that they may have to kill themselves to do so."

26. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

So an interesting thought after listening to the explanation of the difference between Controllers and Guardians is that it parallels the difference between Paragon and renegade. Paragon has evolved to the light of Need and is an agent of chaos and evolution. Like the controllers he wants to apply the force needed to force the universes to the shape he wants.

Renegade kills lords of chaos as a matter of course. He's also Conquest but it's a cooperative and subtle conquest efficient and with a minimal application of force. A clockwork universe that runs and improves itself. Basically the Guardians wet dream. It also makes me think that Renegade is way more suited to the Green light that anything else. He's like a reverse Siniestro evolving from Fear to Will.

Prince Charon, Whiteeyes and Ngamer11 like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

No, it makes sense. Toren is pointing out that rushing a Sector like that would cause havoc with existing power structures. The SI is saying that Orange Lanterns wouldn't consider that bad. Orange Lanterns wouldn't kick over an ant hill and then complain about the ants.

28. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Who do you think it is that GAVE humans that reputation? Or rather, any reputation at all, Mr. "Never miss a chance to spout off about Earth insanity"?

Prince Charon, Cuchulin, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't forget about the spider fucking.

One of the many names Paul had earned is Mini-Beast the Spider Fucker.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  30. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

And the Light said: "Let there be LIFE!" And there was so much so soon.