1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I might have been planning something at the time, but I've got no idea what it was now.

2. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

At first I just thought that Paul was flucking around with time travel and bumped into Icon. But apparently he isn't. So who knowns.

NightmareWarden, Ardy and Doccer like this.
  3. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I figured he was just occupied with something personal and didn't want to get interrupted.

...Either that or the league (under aquaman's leadership at the time) had him working on an Anti OL plan development and rocket didn't want to get show their hand.

but I think I'd rather hope he just had a date night or something normal and didn't want a Paul based distraction.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  4. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

"I've seen what happens when you call people who are off duty and I want no part of it unless the planet is about to explode again, fuck you very much."

5. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 16)
    Mr Zoat

11th September 2012
    19:36 GMT

Phoebe lies on the bier, a slightly out-of-place bio-regulator system keeping her lungs and heart going. I can't see any other activity; her mind is… It's not even turning over as it might for someone in a coma. If she were a normal woman I'd say that she was brain dead. But… My definition of 'dead' and, frankly, how much that matters, has changed a good deal since coming to Universe 16.

Coeus is sitting on the floor beside the bier, her left arm trailing limply down so that he can hold her hand. He obviously looks distraught, though he tries to cover it up as he hears me approaching.

"It wasn't you, then. I'd…" He bows his head slightly. "Hoped that it wasn't, but I am.. not…"

I walk closer and sit down in front of him.

"Don't put on your mourning garb just yet. Gods can be remarkably resilient."

"Oh, do not give me false hope. I can read a neural scanner as well as you."

"I've been dead twice. If I can get better, so can she."

"W-?" He looks pained. "This isn't funny!"

"Neither is being stabbed in the brain with a burning sword by an angel or disintegrated by qwa-energy. But if we keep her body in one piece and work out where her soul went, we should be able to get her going again."

"We should-. Without a focus we have created, it could be-."

His face goes still, his pallor paling.

"Something occur? I haven't done any kind of arcane survey, so I-"

He rises unsteadily to his feet, his currently-late wife's hand slipping from his grip.

"-can't…" I stand as he heads towards the exit, local physicians cowering back as he goes. Mildly pleased to see that he wasn't turning his anguish on them. "Help in guiding us to her, but I know some.. people..?"

He's not paying me any attention, striding in the direction of… The room where I was introduced to the others, I think. Alright, so that-

**[Mr Cassidy points his trident at Mr Excalibris and fires off a gout of flame. Mr Excalibris sings, the fire being buffeted aside and Mr Cassidy collapsing, bleeding from dozens of places.]**

I grab Crius's hand and push it away from my head.

"That was uncalled for. I've been cooperating perfectly well. If you want to see it that badly-."

"Where was that?" He's staring at me. "Tartarus?"

"No. Hell. The monotheistic version of the Punishment Fields, with no hope of release and worse staff. That was where I got stabbed in the brain. Look, you clearly have advanced technology here. Why don't I just put recordings of the events on a multi-format crystal for you to review at your leisure?"

"I wouldn't-." He jerks his head in the direction of his brother. "Coeus!"

Coeus stops at the end of the corridor.

"You're distraught; I understand. I would be the same if it was Mnemosyne. But-."

"It's her." Coeus bows his head slightly. "It's obviously her. We were fools to think-."

"She can't-." Crius's eyes dart to me before returning to his brother. "If we could-."

He hurries after his brother.

"If we could discuss this in private, then-."

"And how well did keeping this to ourselves work out last time? We're lucky that-."

"Okay, look."

They look.

"The Controllers ignored this world for a billion years; it's no skin off their nose to ignore it for a billion more. I'd like to help, but to do that you'll need to tell me what's going on. If you don't want my help or are unwilling to give me the information I need in order to help, then I'll take my retinue and leave."

I raise my hands.

"Entirely up to you."

"I-."

Crius holds up his right hand to silence his brother. "We can't decide that by ourselves. We will need to discuss it with our brothers and sisters."

"Fine, but the longer you take, the colder the trail gets."

Whatever… Sort of trail that might be. I don't think that gods just drop dead. Someone or something caused her to die-

Armour.

-so this is an active combat zone until I hear otherwise. Ugh, wish I brought a thaumaturgist.

Crius nods, and lays his right hand on his brother's shoulder to encourage him to continue his journey. And since they're not around, ring, call Hinon.

"Error."

"Can you be more precise?"

"Unable to connect to network."

I make a spork construct, then dismiss it. Constructs are still working, subspace storage is still working-. And since the things I put in subspace were still waiting for me, the subspace pocket remained associated with my ring, just inaccessible.

"Did my message from earlier get through?"

"Uncertain."

Fly out or stick around? Need to check on Melinoë first in either case. Interior map… Somewhat complete. Given that the place is warded I probably shouldn't try phasing through the walls or moving to the Honden, but I think I can justify impolite flying.

Scan for Melinoë.

Compliance.

Thin veins of orange briefly glimmer on the surrounding walls as the orange light overpowers the wards designed to prevent them. Depending on the system they've got set up they might re-establish themselves, but that's on them. But I've found Melinoë, and that's the main thing.

Plot course and fly, maximum speed.

Compliance.

Corridors flicker past as my current-generation armour with inertial dampeners and ring-power allows me to fly around -and occasionally through- the obstacles in my path. A bit of a surprise to the crew who get a half-second view of me as I appear through their heads, but I'm sure that they'll live.

And here I am. I leave the armour on as I land and walk through into the sitting area-. Soldiers, they've posted more soldiers. No, irrelevant.

"Was your time on the surface productive?"

"Arguably. What happened while I was gone?"

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You continually claiming that in defiance of reality and multiple sources telling you otherwise isn't actually going to make it true...

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Weird to be using that for a god.

Especially since this is far from an ordinary person.

The Abrahamic version.

So it's Sparta.

Probably shouldn't be doing that.

Some of them may still feel that you attacked them and destroying their property wouldn’t endear you to them.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

See this looks like it's gonna be an actual threat escalation now.
    Blocking coms to the Controllers is big boy moves. Or big girl most likely.

Rhea's death might be greatly exaggerated.

9. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Couldn't he make a different FTL comm construct?

It's not like him to have no communications backup

It seems Rhea tried to kill/eat her children as well...

Also, Crius, you twit, you're lucky you're not the next god in a coma.

Cuchulin, Ardy and FeepingCreature like this.
  10. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

crew -> few ?
    half-second few -> half-second view

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

For all you know, she's gone a-borrowin'. Though it's poor form not to leave a card saying 'I Aten't Ded' on the body. More likely, something metaphysical is the issue at hand. After all, we don't know how much thinking they do with the meat-brain in their avatar... Well, except maybe Hyperion, and it's not his upper head sometimes... :p

Yeah, those two really bonded during that little walking trip. The joy of being the most sensible people in the room.

Just ask Melinoë about her arm. Or maybe don't, she might still feel a bit annoyed by the whole affair.

To be fair, in Greek Myth, staying dead can be as simple as agreeing not to leave Hades' Realms. Remember Sisyphus, who got brought back from the dead by arranging for his corpse to not be properly tended to... Or Eurydice, who would have been fine if Orpheus hadn't had that niggling doubt...

The trouble is that latter part. A God's soul should be quite the large, obvious mass of dream-stuff. I doubt you could miss it if it was floating about the material realm...

And evidently New Cronus isn't strong enough of a focus. Probably should have done that first thing upon arrival, or did finding the Sun-Eater factory interrupt the process?

OL, save your breath, I really don't think he's listening to anything right now...

Oh, that was rude! Just poking about in someone's head without permission. Who knows what - or who - you might have run into, hmm?

Yeah, I don't know how flexible the rules of Hospitality are, but I'm fairly sure that crossed more than a few lines.

Technically limited hope of release. I'm quite sure the current rulers have taken great pains to give the damned that slight hope. Because, to quote Morpheus: "What power would Hell have, if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of Heaven?"

Not even his brother's platitudes will get through that shell of despair, Crius. You'll want to keep an eye on him, lest he do something... Dramatic.

Sparta, then. And evidently out to punish them painfully for.. something.. they did. Or that she believes they did, because their mother was the one at fault...

Yes, perhaps this is a time you could use some outside help. I know you want to feel like the high and mighty gods you consider yourselves to be, but...

...Sometimes everyone needs a little helping hand.

Now, if they're remotely as smart as they presume themselves to be...

...That's not a 'No.' Good, let's hope you're all about to have an attack of good sense.

And that person could be lurking anywhere, given the size of the planetoid.

A pity you didn't have the foresight to call on Hecate before coming here.

...Crap. Anytime the Ring says that, it's bad news.

The question is, for how long has it been disconnected? Since he entered the Factory? Since his initial arrival on New Cronus? Is the Ophidian still there?

Or did it bounce undelivered? This could be critical.

Might need to let your hosts know if you need to step outside for a bit. I doubt they're in any mood to take you leaving well.

And from his tone, she's safe and sound. Presumably the other two are with her.

Albeit in need of a change of undergarments... And muttering dark things about 'bloody irresponsible blokes flying about willy-nilly', perhaps...

Because it's clear he can't count on the Titans being truthful with him. Better to get a second pair of eyes on things.

And the plot thickens. From the looks of it, Rhea did try to pull the Titan Seeds plan off at least once... Let's hope Sparta isn't in the mood to go after anyone other than the Titans, and smart enough not to try a frontal assault against the whole group together. I get the feeling it'll come down to OL having to try and talk her down in a hostage situation, or while she's got her finger in the activation trigger of the Sun-Eaters...

12. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I first assumed 'Crius's hand' was a metaphor for his psychic intrusion, but it looks like he actually physically touched Paragon's head when there's no indication he was in close proximity prior to this in the chapter. Did he follow Paragon from last chapter and was there the whole time or teleport or otherwise evade detection? Either way, Paragon might have to improve his capabilities for situational awareness.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They might not follow those rules themselves.

The Greek rules of hospitality could have been created by the Olympians, so there's no reason for them to obey them.

Like Darkseid's torture methods.

Might not have worked.

According to Donna, Hecate is weird and may not have helped him.

You're back with Murphy.

14. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Eh, Murphy probably thinks OL is stalking him and will start blocking his calls.

15. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

I think he means no hope for like, the average joe. I guess there is technically the hope that humanity gets it's act together and invades, but it's not a hope if most people don't know it's possible.

EternitysInfinite likes this.
  16. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

Unless he's making inertia wet, that should be dampers. Though admittedly Star Trek has been getting that wrong for *checks notes* a long frikkin while.

17. Mr Zoat

The crew of New Cronus.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Crius was lurking outside of the ward, and touched the SI's head when he left.
    Arguable.

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul needs to create some sort of psychic trap for that. Like how trying to fight Paul on a mental plane opens you up to being attacked by the Ophidian.

ChestBurster and Bud-E like this.
  19. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

That seems a bit extreme cause I don't see that trap ending without someone getting permenately mind wiped or eaten.

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Maybe, but that's still wrong.

The thing that keeps a soul in Hell is it's own guilt, once a soul gets over that it gets a door to heaven.

21. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

The author of Dungeon Crawler Carl recently reread his prior work, because even the authors need to do that from time to time to refresh themselves. He can only done 4 books and was starting on the fifth.

Zoat, I think you're due.
    Just...bite the bullet. And then bite the other seventy some bullets behind that first bullet.

Also, I need a refresher on the local magic taxonomy here.

I remember entities like Gaia being a different category of being, more powerful than gods.

But I cannot remember if Titans are distinct from gods on a structural level or not.
    Are Titans in this this story the same species as gods, or something different?
    Is the difference merely social or something more, and when did it occur?
    Was Zeus's Father the same being as Zeus, but considered himself a Titan and Zeus a God (and that is why eating him was ok), or did they consider themselves the same thing, and the distinction only arose after Zeus won, as a term to differentiate New Management from Old Management?
    Also, this seem like an error here. If these folks were made by Rhea to resurrect/recreate the Titans of Old, and names after them, why are they calling themselves Gods and not Titans?

Ardy, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  22. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Aside from, you know, people that get dragged into Hell because they got sacrificed to a demon or something. They certainly aren't feeling guilty over being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Let's not pretend that DC Hell is at all consistent. It changes depending on the story line like every other thing in comics according to the needs of the story and the bias of the writer.

23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Titans are apparently different than ordinary gods here.

They appear to be on average more powerful than them and according to the statements of the characters in his fic, they're also more primal apparently.

It's possible that the Titans are different compared to average gods in both a political and magical way, as in they refer to themselves as Titans due to political reasons or something like that, and they're also probably different in a metaphysical way compared to your average god.

They may have born being different like that or eventually reached that point in their lives.

In mythology gods have given birth or created other beings that are not gods themselves.

It could be like distinctions between dogs.

German Sheppards and poodles are both dogs but there are differences between them, so the same may apply to the Titans and other gods.

24. Mr Zoat

Naaaaaoooohhhhhhh!
    In very simple terms, titans come from the Dream directly while gods come from the thaumosphere. Gods are more material.

25. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

I thought Primordials? like Gaia came from the Dream directly.

Gaia the Earth, Uranus the Sky, a few others. Born from the Dream. Primordials?

Cronus, and Rhea, born from Gaia and Uranus. Titans.

Zeus, Hera, born from Cronus and Rhea. Gods.

Clarify please?

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Mr Zoat

I've described titans as primordial beings, but I don't believe that I've ever separated them as a class.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

If a cultist sacrifices someone to Hell then it's the cultist's magic binding that soul to hell.

And DC Hell is actually very consistent, it's consistency just depends on how a person ends up in hell. Sell your soul to a demon, you gotta kill the demon or steal your soul back from it. Someone binds your soul to hell, you gotta break the spell holding your soul there. You end up in Hell the natural way, you gotta get over your guilt and you can just move on.

Whiteeyes and Cuchulin like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

11th September 2012
    19:40 GMT

Gaudia gestures towards the doorway I just flew through.

"A few of our new cousins came for a visit, and we got a tour of a few parts of this building. And then a lot of soldiers started running around and we were shoved back in here."

"'Shoved'?"

She shrugs, looking away from me.

"Escorted with menaces."

"Did you see anything untoward?"

"Do three instances of repressed sexual attraction count?"

"Probably not, unless it was occurring in the local gods. Also, these aren't your people so please don't go poking around inside their souls."

"I could transfer." She shrugs defensively. "They don't have an avarice or wealth goddess. I would fit right in."

"They're a new pantheon looking to do a lot of work. Somehow, I doubt that you'll take to it."

"What if I limit myself to vague but spiritually uplifting pronouncements?"

"I don't-."

"There was a 'boom'." Aporia grips onto the head of her bench to pull herself upright-. The fruit bowl is entirely empty. "Does that matter?"

"What sort of boom?"

"A boom boom. Like…" She throws her arms up. "Boom!"

"An explosion?"

"No. You know… Boom." She blinks blearily and I start hoping that there's a god-level sobriety potion or spell somewhere. "Boom?"

"Like a gun?"

"No? That's more like-."

I hold up my right hand.

"Stop. Stop. Melinoë, did you hear anything?"

"No. We left her here to…" She moues. "Recover."

"Okay. Okay. Boom like-"

I have my ring make the sound of a gunshot.

"-that?"

"No, that's a gun. I know what a gun sounds like."

"Alright. Boom like-"

I have my ring make the sound of a car backfiring.

"-that?"

"No."

I play a recording of a controlled demolition.

"No. Just… BOOM!"

Oh dear. I play the sound of a boom tube appearing.

BOOM!

Aporia beams. "Yes, that's it!"

"Did you hear it once, or several times?"

"Ah… Once?"

"Did you see anyone you didn't recognise?"

"I don't recognise anyone. I just got here!"

"Did you see anyone who seemed out of the-. I'm wasting my time."

Melinoë looks at me contemptuously.

"How has it taken you this long to work that out?"

"Badly misplaced optimism. Look, Phoebe is… Biologically 'dead', and they don't have an afterlife set up to handle that."

"That happens. Cronus digested all of my aunts and uncles older than Aunt Hestia. Not even a trace of them remains. I don't even know the names of most of them, and I know that Grandmother Rhea named them all."

I wonder if they tried cutting into Cronus again after the war, to check? Or if that means that Metis is gone? She would be stronger than a newborn, but it's been a long time…

That might explain some of Zeus's decisions.

I take a hologram generator out of subspace and generate an image of Phoebe.

"Do you have any idea what could have caused this?"

Melinoë barely bothers looking at it.

"No obvious injury. I felt no great magic. If I could examine her directly I might learn something, but this tells me nothing."

Reasonable. So, boom tubes means New Genesis, Apokolips, or Lonnie Machin. And last time I checked, he wasn't at anything like that level yet. My main concern is that Grayven might be involved, but there's no obvious reason for him to care what happens here. We're not particularly close to Reach territory here, and I haven't seen any indication that he has other ships on the scale of his personal dreadnaught. Splitting his forces…

Except… He could. There's no real defence fleet here. The planet isn't especially populous and their lack of industry means that it wouldn't be all that difficult to ramp up production. Apokoliptians are comfortable using magic, so non-magic technology becoming unreliable wouldn't be a crippling problem. He could send a very small fleet, and as long as they had a way to kill the gods…

Or it could be anyone else. I wouldn't even be totally surprised if it turned out to be Canis. Dead without a wound on her? He probably would find Coeus's emotional pain artistic.

"Okay, I'll try and get you permission-."

"Lantern." Athyns strides into the room. "And companions. The gods require your presence."

"I serve at the gods' will."

"Hah!"

I look around, and a momentarily shocked Melinoë blinks in surprise before considering her position and deciding to glare at Gaudia.

Gaudia looks surprised, then sags slightly.

"Sorry."

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Ahh crap, New Gods.

Paul isn't the sharpest.

Ahh yes, your 'teammate'.

Don't be sorry Gaudia.