1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Renegade-Paul (Grayven) would eventually admire Blue Paul, if he examined the latter’s circumstances and successes. Blue Paul… would probably detest what Grayven did with Lynne, Sunset, and Misa in Africa. On the surface their actions (villains running amok on Earth -14)would look similar, but… the Damocles sword over Blue’s head was NOT over Grayen’s crew. So it was needlessly… inefficient, risky.

Blue would probably like current Grayven, enough to work with him. Hooray elements of harmony.

2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I really don't see why he hasn't switched sides yet.

The Old Management is gone, his rehabilitation efforts don't seem to go anywhere and hsi "friends" are supposed to be used as decoys

Just go to the Underground and mob the rest of the Syndicate up

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not really.

Blue rings can be charged by the hopes of the people around them, not by the ring wielder.

That's not quite so easy.

At this point he's come to like or at least sympathize with his 'friends'.

He may feel like he can do more good working with them by establishing a less evil version of the Syndicate.

In real life people that have joined criminal groups under threats of violence may continue to be in those groups even if they get a chance to get out.

They do this for various reasons, such as liking the power they now have, having a massive fear of retribution, or they may feel they do not deserve any better since they've done horrible things while in the group, so now they continue being in those groups as something like their own personal hell on Earth.

It's unfortunate but true that these things happen.

People are not inherently rational or logical beings.

They'll do all sorts of stupid things for all sorts of weird, stupid or illogical reasons.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, some time with our dear Baul. When last we saw him, he'd just brokered a peace deal between the Injustice Society's leadership and the new president, Alexander Luthor, yes? Or rather, our OL did, wearing his face while Baul was on his honeymoon in spaaaaace... Still, I trust that people having been playing nice.

Yes, you have a lot to thank OL for next time you see him...

Indeed. I bet you're even getting a trickle of local charge these days. Assuming you didn't snag a Lantern out there.

Nice to see Capo Scott - 'Power Ring Yellow' these days - keeping himself busy. Remind me, who is the Director again, and which hero is he a counterpart of?

Ah, our poor kid Flash counterpart. Still using that knock-off super-speed formula, I expect...

I like that he maintains the fiction that he isn't in charge, so as to avoid being the target of reprisals... Very clever...

Later, Kid.

Later! Man, Baul must have the patience of a saint to not toss him out a window or something...

At least the addict is smart enough to clam up when he should...

Probably a bit young for a full beard, and his hair would need to grow a bit to get any kind of disguise going there. At least he learnt to cut out the sigil spam. :p

So he sounds less like a Brooklyn thug and more of a proper gangster? I suppose that makes Capo Scott consider him a little more fondly...

Now, I wonder what he was doing that could take a minute or two to finish up? :p Or should I say 'who'?

Heh. I get the feeling of an old speakeasy bar from the twenties here, even if it's a more modern setup. It just feels... Right.

Definitely got some power to burn these days.

But people thinking he's getting drunk probably helps put them at ease around him, I bet. One more bit of sneakiness.

A handy bit of ring-work, or just something he found out there in the world? I'm sure there's all manner of non-alcoholic variants of popular drinks...
    Edit: Okay, there definitely is in our world. I wonder how true that is in Earth -14...

Good to see they're still friends here, even after everything that's happened. And the remarkable age difference.

The first time being in the presence of Ultraman, just after Ultraboy's existence was revealed. Yes, I can imagine those were happier times for him. Especially since Ultraman was a lot more accepting than his heroic counterpart was.

Maintaining the appearance of gentility and class in the Society. Despite many of them being thugs, lunatics and worse.

...That could be taken so many ways. :confused: Not many of them good... Understandable, though, since the Society's juniors are at a significant power disadvantage with the New Leadership...

I suspect a lot of Ultraboy's plans were 'go find someone to beat on till they did what he told them to'...

I would suspect so. Given how good a fight they were...

So, they're playing bait and stalking horses for would-be heroes. Bit of a drop in status.

Still, I suppose it makes sense. I'm sure Ultraboy and his teammates have lots of pent-up feelings to work out through percussive therapy... ;)

And no doubt this US has plenty of those. I'm sure he'll be spoiled for choice.

Baul always has ideas. But before, he was stuck under the thumb of the Society...

Heh. Turning the Young Offenders into a truly global force, perhaps.

Well, no-one said becoming the next Ultraman would be easy.

Effectively turning it into their own little fiefdom of crime...

Indeed... Especially in this world, which lives by the creed Cui Bono - 'Who Profits?'

Who are likely all dead or imprisoned, given Slade's enthusiastic approach to cleaning up the country...

What would be the worst hellhole in this world? The shittiest part that no-one would care if you conquered? Don't tell me, even here, I'm sure it would be Santa Prisca.

Well, now that Baul's got a more stable situation, he's starting to feel that uplifting urge that all empowered Pauls seem to get sooner or later, eh? I wish him luck, because he's going to need it, in this world of short-sighted thugs, greedy madmen and twisted psychopaths...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's Niles Caulder, the Chief.

That's also technically how Paragon's world is like.

Full of short-sighted thugs, greedy madmen and twisted psychopaths.

6. Whiteeyes

Whiteeyes Non Breeding Bunny

Yeah, it's an entire multi-million dollar industry. It's really easy to find non-alcoholic versions of various drinks if you actually go looking for them.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  7. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Anyone kind enough to translate the English english parts into regular english ?

Sojiko and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

When and why did Blue become a Made Man of Power Ring? Shouldn't he be a Made Man of Zatara, what with being married into the family and all? Or even a Made Man of Ultraboy, said capo having inherited him from the previous capo and become (partially) independent at this point?

Cuchulin, RamiroGalletti and Ardy like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

When this Paul came to Earth -14 he stopped some criminals from committing a crime and then went to Alan Scott's house for the Lantern.

However he found out he's in the Mirror Universe and that version of Alan cut off his thumbs.

After reattaching them he somehow ended up near Ultraman, and the criminals he previously stopped were working for him, but he managed to appease him by giving him gold.

After that Ultraman made him a Made Man of him.

Then he got put in charge of the Young Offenders.

Now I think he's part of the New Management, or is at least much higher up in the organization.

That would explain why he's not subordinate to Zatara or Ultraboy.

10. Smartkittykhan

Smartkittykhan Making the rounds.

Oof.

Shots fired

11. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I like the idea that they're going to take over a country, supervillain style. Rule everythign with an iron fist, extort money out of the people, kill dissenters... but the people they're going to replace are already doing all of those things, plus kidnapping their kids to turn into child-soldiers or child-sex-slaves so the general populous will look at them and go "Yeah, this is an improvement. I can live with this." and more-or-less regard them as a positive force.

Jon clearly already knows that Blue would prefer for them to go legit, but Blue is smart enough not to suggest that. Not yet.
    Instead he's going to suggest pragmatic and practical villainy.

12. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

fire -> first

Prince Charon likes this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Niles Caulder.
    No, that's the most stable and socially unified democracy in South America.
    'Power Ring' in this context is Alan 'Capo' Scott.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Can't believe I didn't think of this before.

15. Xammmy

Xammmy Know what you're doing yet?

Time to Conquer New Zealand I guees.

ChestBurster and Ardy like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Given that it's a reverse universe, Andorra would probablly be a better bet.

17. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

….what is Mirror Somalia like?

18. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

Wakanda i guess.

ChestBurster likes this.
  19. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

I want to read more about Blue, is easy to cheer for the underdog.

20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

My first thought was Khandaq, but if Zoat is mirroring countries, then Markovia probably needs "liberation."

21. Mr Zoat

Actually, if you look down at cinematic Wakanda, you can see their slums. And unlike normal slums, those aren't inhabited by recent immigrants from other nations or the countryside. Because Wakanda doesn't have immigration and everyone outside the city is part of the security services. Those are long term city-dwellers, their plight ignored by the absolute dictator who controls all of their nation's resources.
    Not to worry. Noted acrobat Marquis Metronome is on the case and will soon depose the child-tyrant.

22. HeroineRule34Guy

HeroineRule34Guy Know what you're doing yet?

Where did you see slums? (Been a while since I saw the movie, so I might have missed something.)

23. Galler

Galler Not too sore, are you?

Urgh. The world building in the MCU is so garbage. They say both in and out of the movie that they are the most advanced civilization. But for some reason they decided to have dirt roads and straw roofs.

The heart of the matter is when they designed Wakanda they wanted an advanced civilization with an African aesthetic. But what they made was just a shity third world African village with skyscrapers.

24. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

As long as they rule with a lighter hand, are less greedy and follow their own clearly set out rules most of the time? They'd be the most popular rulers those places have seen in a long time.

25. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think at this point, Baul is too radicalized to do anything. He has spent long enough rationalizing his behavior. Not to mention his primary social network is the Young Offenders. He doesnt really have anywhere else to go.

So he seems to have settled on trying to mold the Young Offenders into something better. Find some place and make it theirs. And they dont want to their stuff to be a trashpile. They want it to be nice.

The Syndicate operates on the idea of protecting their people. So how do you turn their successors into heroes? Expand who "their" people are. With some profit of course. No reason it needs to be free or altruistic. As long as it is a net positive.

26. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

By this point, I suspect he’s got a raging case of Stockholm's-
    i strongly suspect Ultraboy will still kill him if he did something to piss him off enoug…

ChestBurster and Darko like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

I don't remember what video it was where I saw it, but I think it was this.

Interesting video here.
    I suspect it's because they didn't develop the technology themselves. Think about it. Vibranium is really hard to work with. How the heck would a primitive tribe learn how to do that? I'll give them the heart-shaped herb because that's naturally occurring, but they wouldn't have the tools to make things with it. And why are there no other asteroids with vibranium in it around?

I think it wasn't an asteroid. I think it was a space ship, and I think that's where they got the tools from.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  28. Threadmarks: Sungate (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

11th September 2012
    19:31 GMT

…and that one wants better fitting armour. And clearly feels guilty about it. As far as I can tell, these soldiers represent the hardcore of loyalists who either came from minor religious groups who worshipped something similar enough to the new gods that they were willing to accept them as 'fulfilling the prophecy', or who were from minor groups who were happy to accept the Pax Divinitatus to protect them from their oppressors. No one other than Athyns from Karrakan, which… Seems a little odd, but I suppose that there must be some reason why the gods left.

N.E.M.O. doesn't have any recent information on the place. It's not exactly a busy stop over, being another relatively technologically primitive place like Minosyss. I'll ask Dox to send someone.

Anyway, the armour of these soldiers appears to have been a joint project between Iapetus and Hyperion. There's a ceremony they all go through where they're awarded it in person, which is the closest most of them come to the beings they worship and kind of a big deal.

I'll give Coeus a book on armour design. It shouldn't be that hard to integrate spells for automatic adjustment into the existing network, and that would allow them to make the armour a standard size every time.

"Excuse me?"

The two soldiers assigned to watch look up from their reading. The encampment outside of the tent is packed up and ready to fall out, but as I'm a foreigner and they're guarding me none of us are involved.

"I had assumed that someone would have told me what was going on by now, but since that hasn't happened, could I please send a message to the rest of my party?"

That doesn't appear to strike either of them as particularly unreasonable.

"What message?"

"Ah… Something along the lines of, 'I'm fine, couldn't really help with the factory, how are you doing?'. I mean, I'd like to know more about what was going on-."

Athyns pushes his way into the tent.

"You can tell them in person. We are needed on New Cronus, and you will come with us."

"Oh. Certainly." I stand. "Am I allowed to use my ring?"

"I have no orders to contain you."

"Right, but people are upset and I don't want to set anyone off. Ring, contact Hinon."

"Channel open."

Oh, not picking up immediately? Well, fair enough. She's a busy woman. Not like she gave me this job personally or anything.

"Send her the images-."

The ring couldn't scan in there.

"Send her the scans I took on the way down, and access my memories for the rest. Ask her if there's an easy way to relocate it."

"Compliance."

Okay. I lower my ring and return my full attention to Athyns.

"Do you want me to fly us up?"

"That will not be necessary."

The two guards hold open the tent flaps, and I take the hint and walk out. The majority of the other soldiers are assembled in ranks in the central area with their kit on their backs. Transport, rather than immediate combat deployment. Oh… Kay, but the locals don't have flying machines any more advanced than hot air balloons. Are they sending a shuttle?

I look around and then… Up.

Ah.

I can just about make out the broken outline of New Cronus overhead as the area around us glows brilliant white-.

And the broken moor land vanishes and is replaced by the interior of New Cronus, the soldiers falling out immediately as Athyns heads for the grand doors at the front of the room.

"Ambassador." I transition up to him and land next to him as he pushes the doors open. "The gods-."

"We will tell him ourselves."

The next room is a courtyard, Crius pacing just in front of the central fountain while Mnemosyne sits on the wall at its edge.

Athyns bows.

"My lord. My lady."

Crius strides towards me.

"You. If I find out that you had anything to do with-."

"Husband." Mnemosyne rises. "Threats are a waste of time when we have better methods at our disposal."

He halts. "True."

"Has something occurred?"

"Yes. And we will ascertain whether or not you were involved by peering into your mind."

"Ah. Well, yes, you could, except that I'm trained to resist telepathic intrusion and magic. I'm also inhabited by the Ophidian, and last time someone went into my mind uninvited she ate them."

His eyes narrow. "We are gods, mortal."

"You're the avatar of a god used to living in the material universe. And she's the Embodiment of Avarice. The Universal Embodiment of Avarice. But-"

I take a step towards him and politely bow my head.

"-I have fulfilled my responsibilities as your guest by apprising you of the risk. If you want to do it anyway, that's on you, and I take no responsibility for what befalls you."

Crius doesn't move, sharing a glance with his wife.

"You'd have more luck in full god mode, but I understand that you aren't able to access that at the moment. Might I suggest telling me what has happened that has you so concerned?"

Mnemosyne comes closer, clearly making a point of getting inside my personal space.

"Our sister Phoebe has been attacked and lies recumbent and unwaking. We find the timing suspicious."

"Oh. No, not guilty. If I'd wanted to attack you, I'd either have done it the moment I saw you or waited months while divining your every weakness so that carrying out an attack was as easy as possible. I certainly wouldn't have assigned the task of making an attack to subordinates weaker than me at a time when I was unavailable and incommunicado."

Crius huffs. "So you say that we should not blame you because it was not your style, and that it was foolish."

"If I was going to target anyone, it would have been Hyperion. Phoebe represents a poor choice of target given my objectives." I shrug. "Also, it would be going against my orders. Why don't you give me a little more information to work with, and I'll see if I can help you track down the culprit?"

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  29. Bloodalchemy

Bloodalchemy Versed in the lewd.

It wasn't me. I would have done it better.

30. Lone Courier 6

Lone Courier 6 Wanderer of threads

I mean, this feels like the kind of thing that shouldn’t fly and he should realize this, why would they let their primary suspect investigate? He just admitted that they can’t verify anything he doesn’t want them to, and if he *was* involved, he would be best suited to scrubbing any evidence, only a fool would let him anywhere near the investigation while he’s under suspicion.