1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Also, OL was probably paying attention during this bit
    And thus knows that they weren't explicitly included.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Let's hope Athyns can control himself. This whole 'make it up as we go' plan of OL's hinges on Athyns being able to negotiate with these invaders. If he's as loyal to the Titans as he seems, I don't see him taking confirmation of their true deaths well...

Okay, Primus. That was a bit of an asshole move. Do you want Athyns to break the truce or something?

I get the feeling he's doubting what the Primus says. If he's as closely tied to the Titans as the Ascendants' troops are to them, he can probably feel the faint tickle of their continuing existence in the back of his soul...

Oh, OL? Why, he's an unconcerned third party. He only shot at you guys because you shot at him, after all. Of course he'll cease hostilities if you do... ;)

'Eh, sounds like grox-dung, but I'll let the Ascendant decide.'

Chance for a nice, private chat, then...

Yeah, I don't see the lesser Ladies trying to fight, especially with how drunk Aporia was. Melinoë would probably just have nightmared any threatening sorts into submission...

In other words, even if he does give the order, he might not be obeyed. I suppose his honour would be clean, even if his conscience wouldn't be...

Especially a monster he's related to, however distantly...

Ah, I think he's seeing the shape of OL's real meaning...

A good point. Though I suspect many of them are so loyal that they would happily go to their deaths trying to avenge the Titans.

Oh, he's probably looking forwards to a chance to slide his new sword between Sparta's ribs, isn't he? Might need to hold him back if he tries...

Riiiight. And which world would that be? Your birth world, or the place the Titans moved to? Which would technically be spoils of war...

Doubt. So much Doubt... Man, Sparta must have really spiked the Flavour-Ade for them to be this convinced...

...Don't mention the Sun-Eaters... Don't mention the Sun-Eaters...

To be fair, I'm not sure how rational any part of her plan was. Sure, recreating her siblings sounds good... But they simply would not be the same beings, with the same memories...

Yeah, there's simply not enough data to make full sense of the situation yet.

...Care to pin down a date? Five years? Ten? We can guess it hasn't been longer than that given Thiva's age, but...

...Let's go with curiosity.

The problem is knowing who to ask, or how to double-check. There wasn't that much intel in the ship's computers, was there?

...So either the Titans did kill Rhea and steal the Seeds and the Karrakanians are in the right, but going about it rather poorly... Or Rhea died empowering them with the Seeds, and the Karrakanians grabbed the wrong end of the stick so damn hard they crushed it into pulp.

Please, do say 'galactic conquest'. Though I doubt anyone but Sparta has any inkling of that possibility...

o_O ...Riiiiiight.

And in a couple of centuries, she'll have a whole army of religiously loyal followers, ready and willing to die in her name... That sort of thing needs nipping in the bud, methinks...

Welp, time to meet the lady in question face-to-face...

So, we see the general shape of Sparta's likely plan for things. And it's quite the petty little thing. I get the feeling she will not be as reasonable as OL is hoping for. So it'll come down to making her say something foolish in front of those who believe the sun shines out of her backside... Although, if she's snagged Hyperion's Seed, that may well be true now... :p

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's a religious zealot.

Of course logic isn't going to be his thing.

She is related to the Greek gods, so pettiness runs in the family.

Now I'm getting images of the Johnny Test cartoon where he's given superpowers and one of them is farting fire.

4. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Seems pretty ambiguous to me.

5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Their Seeds being taken doesn't "kill" kill them, right? It's more like taking out the batteries.

Prince Charon likes this.
  6. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Possibly. My own bet is that at least a few of the 'dead' gods have actually made emergency attempts to go full ascension/immaterial like Paul had discussed with Coeus, and are currently trying to figure out "Just what can I do now?" since they either can't quite work up creating conventional avatars and there isn't an effective priesthood to speak through, or that said avatars would just get blasted by the invaders if they were formed.

7. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Uhh, I think "goodthinkful" means OL was thinking in terms of Sparta trying to set up a 1984 despotic propaganda state. Probably one that would be turned over to Darkseid.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That assumes the attackers know that his diplomatic party includes gods.

Which would be a bit of an amazing thing for them to know given Paragon never told them.

9. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

im sorry but when was this? was this when the angels apparently killed paul?

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If you're talking about the destruction of the Sword, then yeah.

After Karrien killed Paul he took the Sword with him.

He later on tried to kill one of the Kings of Heaven with it, who sensed its demonic nature and managed to destroy it before he could be cut with it.

Silveraith and transhumansage like this.
  11. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

what arc was this?

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Clarion Call and Judgement Day.

13. Threadmarks: Sungate (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

11th September 2012
    20:43 GMT

"Welcome to Carousel Boutique! Where everything is oh it's you."

Rarity regards me for a moment as I stand just inside the door of her establishment.

"Good morning."

"I'm not certain that I would go that.. far."

She takes a slow breath in through her mouth, then snorts it out through her nostrils.

"Mister Grayven. Are you interested in a dress?"

"I don't think you've got anything in my size. Look-."

"Then do you have some reason for being here? Satisfying as putting you in that ridiculous costume was, I do not want to give you the impression that I enjoy your presence."

"Don't blame me for the fact that you can't make bad clothes even when you're trying to. And don't expect me to apologise for informing the authorities of the crimes you committed against Equestria's laws. This is about normalising relations between us."

"Hm." She trots out fully from her kitchen onto the shop floor. "How did your meeting go? Did your brother at least comment on your apparel?"

"Sorry, no. I think he's got even less taste than I do."

"So? Do you have some other meeting you wish for me to try and fail to mis-dress you?"

I bend my legs, laying down on my chest so that my head is closer to her eye-level.

"I heard about Canterlot."

Her head tilts slightly to the right.

"I'm not sure how my Canterlot boutique is of any interest to you."

"Luna's been helping me with this whole 'Making Peace With The Bearerherd' thing. Which means that if someone were to write a letter about learning a friendship lesson, it might find its way into my hooves." I frown. "Not that I've gotten the hang of holding things with my hooves, or… Any other part of my body. But… I understood that you had a personnel problem, and I though-."

"If you read the letter then you know perfectly well that it was resolved."

"Right, and you learned a lesson about politely asserting yourself or whatever. But I'm not sure that you considered the underlying reasons why it happened. Now, my special talent is conquest; the creation, domination and administration of a realm. And because I've been advising Luna, I'm starting to get an itch on the haunches when-"

Rarity moues in distaste at my crassness.

"-something's not right in Equestria. You don't have to accept my help, or listen to me, but I thought that I'd offer."

"Might that assistance explain why Applejack hired extra farmhooves during this year's cider season?"

"Eh, that was half me, half her having the wisdom to overcome her own stubbornness."

"And you feel that you have something to offer moi on the subject of staffing?"

"No, it's…" I widen my eyes slightly, looking directly at her. "So you want to hear this?"

"I am planning on expanding my franchise across Equestria." She rubs her chin with her right frog. "I suppose that it wouldn't hurt to listen to you."

"Right. See, I don't think you've really thought this whole thing through. Why do you even want these shops?"

She gives me a mild frown. "Bou-tiques."

"I'll compromise at 'fancy shops'."

Her head tilts slightly to the right. "Is this something to do with your unfortunate mispronunciation of the word 'ennui' during your conversation with Rainbow Dash during the party after Sunset Shimmer's ascension?"

She heard about that.

"… No."

"It's very simple." She leans forwards. "Boo-teek."

"We can go with 'drapers' if you prefer?"

"I suppose I'll live with it. And I want them because I want to spread fabulosity-"

"That's not a word."

"-across Equestria and yes it is."

"Alright, let me be blunt. Your special talent is discovering hidden beauty, and you bring it out using bespoke dresses. Yes?"

"That's… Essentially correct. But not all the dresses I make are bespoke." She looks around at the wards on display. "Many are just… Waiting for the right subject."

"Right, see, that was my first thought when I heard about the whole 'Princess Dress' debacle. Are you really making all of the dresses for both shops?"

"But of course. As you pointed out, that is what I do."

"And when one dress got ludicrously popular, and Sassy Saddles did her job as shop manager and tried to maximise profits by getting more and selling them, and you were her one source of the dress…"

"I stopped making it, because on a lot of those ponies it looked-." Another moue. "Not… Hideous, but it wasn't their colour or style."

"And you were overworked. Rarity, expanding will make even greater demands on your time, making dresses for remote stores to be worn by ponies you will never meet. And as long as you're the sole source… There's no other way to do it. There are only so many dresses a single pony can make. Did you like that sort of crunch?"

"No! I-. Suppose… Not?"

"So the whole plan of 'a Rarity fancy shop in every city' isn't at all viable. You would work yourself to death and the shelves would still be empty."

"That's… A concern." She sits on her haunches, looking slightly uncertain. "What do you suggest?"

"Depends what you want to do with your life. Because this whole thing is about building the mechanism to make you happy. You can have a fancy shop in every city, but you'll have to do what I persuaded Applejack to do and get other ponies to pitch in with making the product. You do the original dress and work out a pattern, and ponies with special talents relating to manufacturing do the actual stitching. That way you can scale up production to meet demand while keeping your own focus on the creative side where you excel."

"But I wouldn't meet the ponies who would wear my creations."

"Are you meeting the Canterlot ponies now?"

"But… Fittings."

"Fittings can be performed by technically skilled but inspiration poor seamstresses who aren't you. That's not a creative exercise. But if that doesn't appeal, there's the opposite option."

"Ug-h-. Which is?"

"Focus on a smaller number of clients. Keep the shop-."

"Bouti-."

"Fancy shop in Canterlot as advertising, only now the general issue dresses are a lure for your customers rather than the primary product. What you're selling is your expertise; persuade individual ponies to come in for a wardrobe consultation and provide them with a whole range of clothes which suit them perfectly."

"That's… A little more my style, but… Just Canterlot?"

"No, of course not. There aren't that many ponies who could afford such a service. You could keep your Ponyville fancy shop going as you do now, and just change the way you handled the… Next level of things. If successful, your name will be famous through the high society of Equestria… And virtually unknown outside of it."

"I… Don't suppose there's a half way option. Is there?"

I scrunch my nose.

"If you want to be sensible. Hire two people per sto-. Fancy shop. One focuses on sales, the other sews your patterns. You advertise a bespoke service, but it's not a focus and you generally do it for individual garments rather than whole wardrobes. You send up new dresses to see what sells, and the more popular ones become part of the standard range at the behest of the salespony. Yes, they won't really be ideal for everyone, but it's their money and the personal service is available if they want it."

"Hmmm. I suppose that you can lead a pony to water but it's up to them whether they drink or not."

"Now we need sales data."

BOOM!

"Let's go and talk to Ms. Saddles."

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  14. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

I vote we spend the next ten episodes with Grayven just being a slice of life pony business consultant.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

A proper response to interacting with renegade.

Yep.

I think she'll like a challenge.

'I stopped'

16. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

All in favor say 'Aye'. Aye

17. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Present tense is correct because she’s replying to his hypothetical which only happens to be based on past events.

preier likes this.
  18. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

AYE!

mastermenthe and Bud-E like this.
  19. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ooh, Grayven and Rarity? That's a combination with more explosive potential than a 10-gallon drum of anti-matter. Now, what does he want here, I wonder. Something to do with his little.. campaign against the Element-bearers? Or is he after a bit of pony couture?

Now, now, Rarity. Leave that sort of cattiness to Opal.

...To be honest, Grayven might look good in Caparisons with a bit of Barding to accessorize.

Oof. Good thing she doesn't know any elemental magic, or Grayven might have gotten a frozen shoulder, not just the cold one.

Ah, her professional ego can't stand not knowing, eh?

To be fair, Scot does habitually go into battle dressed in red-yellow-and-green long-johns, even if they are Apkoliptian battle armour.

...Is that good or bad? I don't know many episodes, other than Magical Mystery Cure. Oh, and Pony Memes...

Ah. I'm guessing it was a lesson about not overextending oneself...

Resolved how, though? In a good way, or in the 'still feeling bitter about it' way? <One quick Wiki-walk later> Okay, then...

Well, he is a total pain-in-the-plot, after all.

So you might say... She was Honest about herself? :p

And what would you do if she says 'No,' Grayven? Will you walk out the door and leave her to her struggles? Could your plot-itch let you live with that?

Because she has an overinflated estimate of her potential?

Ah, Grayven, blunt as a warhammer...

Hey, blame linguistic drift and uneducated dolts for that.

...If English follows other languages into dark alleys and mugs them for interesting vocabulary... Where'd the Equestrian version of that word come from? Is there an equivalent of France on Wilson? I know there's an Arabia counterpart...

...And now she's just making up vocabulary..

...No it isn't.

Even the inevitable puce-and-avocado paisley one you keep hidden in the back wardrobe? Or is that one that shall never be mentioned?

Ah, now I see it. One person cannot replace an entire industry. No matter how talented.

Now, if only someone could do that in real life for fashion disasters...

Yes, not so sure now, are you, about this whole thing?

Ah, I can picture Grayven having an internal moment of glee that she asked.

I'm sure there are plenty of ponies with such talents. From weavers to tailors...

To be fair, would she want to? Some of that sort would be very unpleasant people...

Besides, fittings are boring, aren't they? Oh, sure, you might have the occasional client who you click with, but imagine the number of 'just there to get it over with' types who just won't sit still...

Smaller clientele, bigger prices. Unless you have a plan to cover expenses?

How very... Modern fashion... of you, Grayven.

What would it end up being called, I wonder? Just 'Carousel'? Or would her name enter the common parlance as slang for 'gorgeous dresses'?

Go big or go home, little lady.

Yes, very much a modern fashion methodology.

That's easy enough.

Heh, I wonder what'll happen by the distant future finale in this timeline...

What a contrast between activities. OL trying to stop an interplanetary war, while Renegade... Helps a pretty pony sell pretty dresses. Good to see he's been keeping busy. A pleasant way for a brief time-skip to dodge the trip from battleground to throne room in OL's plot... Which might well be quite the trek at walking pace.

20. JackTheRipper457

JackTheRipper457 Getting some practice in, huh?

21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Aye!

It would be hilarious if Grayven discovers his inner fashion consultant...only to discover it comes from the Other-Grayven half he absorbed X')

22. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Absolutely aye!

[X] Aye

On the next episode of With This Business Plan-

Otto von Saurion and Wivk like this.
  23. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think they were talking about Orion, who renegade was going to meet and commissioned the dress for himself.

Though Scott went along, so he may have also talked about him.

All vocabulary is made up.

Yes, yes it is.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Now I'm reminded of a fanfic in which Dr Doom goes into the fashion industry with Janet van Dyne.

25. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Great success??

26. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Ummmmm I am concerned about the origin of that Boom.

27. Jack of Olives

Jack of Olives Knows just enough to be dangerous.

Aye!

And the boom is probably the weekly disaster... that or RD practicing tricks again. I'd give a 50/50 chance of either.

28. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Considering that everyone's a pony, this is the kinkiest name ever!

29. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

But most of it is agreed upon.

30. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

Took me a second but I believe it is a boom tube.

mastermenthe, Osserumb and Belenus like this.