1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

That line doesn't assert that there can be only one, only that his presence would upset the cosmic balance. Sure, 1:1 is balanced, but 10:10 is balanced too. And while 2:1 is more unbalanced than 11:10, 11:10 is still unbalanced.

2. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

There is also the difference between some natural law, and a political compromise or doctrinal stance.

Because the latter two cases can simply have the beings who instated the policy revise the specifics of implementation, or a local exception be granted, or someone simply decided to break the rules.

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

At this point it really would be interesting to have Paragon dropped into 100% canon Young Justice world just to see him go "what the heck" at all the differences.

Assblaster5000, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  4. Threadmarks: Past Participant (part 14)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

16th September 2012
    19:26 GMT

Back on Earth Prime, there once was a deal between Marvel and Detective Comics wherein they gave each other the opportunity to use near-copies of each other's characters.

DC took Doctor Octopus, Magneto and Doctor Doom and made Gorgon, Doctor Diehard and Lord Havok. I never read any of the original comics, but they were brought back briefly when the Captain Atom version of Monarch went on a rampage in a fairly pointless crossover event that didn't go anywhere.

Marvel took the Justice League and made Squadron Supreme, which I didn't read either. But years later they brought them back in Supreme Power, which started strong and then sort of stopped. I bought the first couple of collections because I liked…

I glance awkwardly at Overman and Angelika as they survey the devastation below us.

Because I liked that take on Superman's origin. Obviously if his pod came to Earth in the modern era it would be detected by deep space monitoring equipment, to say nothing of the radar stations in the United States. So their Superman -eventually going by the name Hyperion- is found by farmers in Kansas, and then an hour or so later their home gets raided by a black operations assault team and the child is forcibly removed. He then gets brought up in…

That's not really relevant. But looking down at the mud plane that appears to have been created by the destruction of the Three Gorges Dam, I do remember a later issue where a scientist who studied him tries to accurately describe what would happen if he decided that he wanted to kill as many people as possible and quickly as possible.

Target infrastructure. Destroy a detached house in the country and you might get one family. Pull down a skyscraper in the middle of the working day and you'll get thousands of people. Target dams and cause floods and disrupt power generation, which kills…

I can recognise the demonic rune for 'greed' which someone cut into the world's largest oil producing regions. They're big enough to be visible from space with the naked human eye.

"Lantern." Overman doesn't look at me, but I see his eyes jumping from place to place as he takes in the devastation. "How many people are left?"

"Okay, so I'm trying to calculate when this happened based on the completion dates of infrastructure projects common to Earth Sixteen. I think-."

"I do not care about the infrastructure. Tell me about the people."

"But if you don't know how many people they were, you don't-."

"We can't save the dead. Understanding-. We do not need to understand at this moment."

Ring?

"Ah, well my rings are struggling with some things due to the magic, but something in the region of one point five billion."

"My Earth had that many people in eighteen sixty."

"If he targeted cities, it-. Pre-Industrial Revolution. They'll have to have adapted to the… Break down in infrastructure. Products not being transported from place to place. No fuel means that colder places aren't habitable, at least not by the same number. Damaged water infrastructure-."

"Yes, I know. It-."

His head snaps around, Superman's following an instant later.

"He knows we're here."

My rings aren't giving me a clear picture of Metropolis, but… That's the direction they're both looking in.

"How do you know?"

"He's talking to us."

I look down at the ground. I don't think we have to worry about conventional attacks. The sort of military weapons that could affect us require far more infrastructure than the survivors have.

I glance at Angelika, but she just shakes her head. Must require super duper hearing.

There aren't that many metahumans capable of flight in the world, perhaps a thousand at most. There won't be any Lanterns here because the Guardians aren't that stupid-.

"Ring, contact Lantern Tomar-Re."

"Not found."

Of course, if they tried fighting and lost, it would be Lanterns in neighbouring Sectors who are most likely to have been killed.

"Contact Lantern Green Man."

"Compliance."

Nothing happens for a moment, then his face appears over my ring.

"You're in a restricted area, Lantern. Leave now."

"I'm an Orange Lantern from a parallel universe. Please send whatever records you have relating to Earth, and ping the Guardians for the secure stuff."

"I am highly sceptical of your claims."

"You can check whether or not I'm a Green Lantern easily enough and you already know my location. If I'm already on Earth, there's no further downside to giving me information."

"It is a deathworld ruled by monsters."

"Yes, that's why we're here. Anything you can do to help would be appreciated. Thank you, goodbye."

I hang up as Angelika watches my ring thoughtfully.

"We do not have a great deal of contact with the Green Lantern Corps. I only met Tomar-Re once, during negotiations on jurisdiction."

"You're internally unified and strong enough to hold off most external threats. There isn't any cause for them to have regular contact."

"They would have seen the worst of the mass murders."

"I don't think that they would hold that against subsequ-."

Superman blurs and I'm shoved-. Why did-?

Two thick beams of red burn through the air, hitting-

"Agh!" / "Ah!"

-Superman and Overman, while Angelika and I are out of their path. Idiot! Yes, I'm not quite as tough as him, but in a high magic environment-.

I generate a construct shield inscribed with demonic runes for nullification and entropy between us and the direction that shot came from as Angelika flies to check on them. Their uniforms are singed and their flesh is reddened, but they're still in the air. Just a bit groggy. I take a purple healing ray out of subspace-.

And frantically throw myself to the side as a harpy shimmers into being out of nowhere and dives for me, talons extended!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  5. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

They really should have observed the planet from space or something.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Well this was a very poor start. What the heck did they expect to happen? I kinda hope they get their asses handed to them before retreating back to Earth 16 because they deserve to be curbstomped if they honestly thought that they can take down Demon Earth all on their own.

7. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Did Paul really build a party for a raid to a demon earth without a single Magic user?
    Is he concussed?

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul shouldn't know about these guys since one came out in 2014 and the other two in 2017.

Paul was sent to Earth 16 in 2013.

I think it's 'Squadron Supreme'

Unless the tech in it can protect against those.

Maybe some spell to target the sin of greed, or just something to signify what that plays was guilty of.

Or he never existed in this universe.

This may not be such a good idea, since the one Orange Lantern the Guardians are familiar with is an insane lunatic, so they may not trust you.

I thought they didn't have contact with the GLC.

Well they're not fully unified, since separate countries exist.

Though I guess with advanced tech most reasons for war would be eliminated, or at least reduced.

They may not hold it against them but that doesn't change the fact that they're still killing people for stupid reasons and most of the population may believe that it is okay to do that, so the Guardians probably don't want to give more power to that society.

9. Mr Zoat

As Dr. Mist said, the thaumosphere would be so different that their abilities wouldn't be reliable.
    Countdown to Final Crisis was 2008.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No regular contact.
    There's a single unifying ideology and society. It doesn't need to have a single ruler to be unified.
    Hah!

10. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

See, my first start would have been to drop mega-spelleaters from orbit or something.

RamiroGalletti, Doccer, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I didn't know about them, but I fail to see the relevance. Shouldn't you be a little more worried about diving into a demon-ruled Earth with minimal numbers and only the relative power of three Kryptonians and a Lantern?

True. After the original Gruenwald mini-series (which involves the Squadron basically taking over their world (it ends poorly for some of them,) Marvel seemed at a loss for what to do, besides occasionally throw them at the Avengers every so often to maintain the trademark...

To be fair, that era was... pretty dark overall. And kind of stupid in some respects for the sake of 'realism'... Reality is overrated, comics are meant to be fun.

We get the picture. Maximum misery for minimum effort. Exactly how a demon would act if they were in control of the world's most powerful beings...

Good to see he can recognise the sheer toll things have taken... Unpleasant as that thought might be.

Like I said the other day: Compassion. This is a man who knows the worth of life...

Truer words have never been spoken... But I fear that accomplishing your goals may be easier said than done.

...Ouch. Given the world's population would have been around six billion at the beginning... That's 3 out of 4 people dead... No wonder the daemons are looking elsewhere, with their supply running out.

OL, he's not a meathead grunt. This is a man who's basically led his Earth for years (whether as figurehead or dictator.)

Oh, that's not good...

Great, they've already got the Lord of Darkness whispering in their ears... Dammit, OL, why the hell did you let them rush this shit?

Hmm... Wonder if he's making threats or offers of friendship?

Or he's using magic to focus on his counterparts. More likely, the demon behind the throne is...

...Boy, that call might set a cat amongst the Guardian's pigeons...

And no doubt the Guardians would cut their losses and place the Solar System in lockdown.

Bit of a stretch. Then again, as the Lantern of Vega's neighbouring sector, he'd be familiar with Orange light...

...Though I see he went with the most obvious theory.

Well, would the guardians have allowed a Human to have been recruited, in the face of Earth's... Corruption?

Not for much longer, if OL and company have anything to say about it... Though, as I said, that may be harder than they thought.

Guessing she's curious as to why he'd try to make contact...

Presumably the Green lantern of the Reichsmen is using Alan's old gear. And thus isn't official. Probably got Tomar-re looking in out of curiosity.

Well, it would be a mark on the Reich's permanent record... Something to be monitored if they ever got off-world.

That's some impressive range Demon-Superman's got. Wonder if he was using demonic magic to produce an ersatz Omega-Effect homing beam?

Kal-el isn't given to using his super-speed to think about these things. He sees an ally in danger, he acts.

Oof, teleportation? I'm guessing Demon Superman's blasts were more on the level of toying with them, rather than trying to inflict actual harm... Make them feel Fear, that sort of thing...

See, OL. This is why you should have made them wait until you could set some sort of plan up. And maybe at least try not to pop into Earth-Hell where they could track you? Points for thinking to ping the local Lantern Corps, though I doubt the bobbleheads will offer you any aid. Welp, time to see how badly they get their asses kicked in the initial encounters. :rolleyes:

12. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

They are observing from space.

cerberus beasty and Ardy like this.
  13. Genocidecles

Genocidecles Know what you're doing yet?

Having two whole Supermen on their team might have made them a little cocky/reckless with this mission.

Ardy, ChestBurster, kyomei93 and 4 others like this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think it's him thinking of different variations to compare Suoerman and Overman.

Like Ziat said, magicians may not be able to do much, and you don't get more powerful than a Kryptonian.

Comic authors have a difficult time using actual realism and more often than not they go edgelord while thinking they're realistic.

I think Stan Lee once complained about something like that for the Ultimate Universe.

I don't think he's led his home, more like acting as something like a champion.

Though he may have a lot of influence.

Or both.

Or what he thinks are offers of friendship but are really threats to anyone sane.

Not really.

The Guardians may not have told him about Larfleeze and he probably never entered Vega.

Probably not.

And Green Man may not think he's a human and considers him to be a humanoid, but not from Earth.

Yep, he's using Alan's ring, which was taken after he was killed.

Plus they're still killing people they consider undesirable, so the Guardians would be reluctant to help them.

15. B.B. Rain

B.B. Rain I trust you know where the happy button is?

Of the available magic users he has theoretically on tap at the present...

Most of them would have trouble adapting to a foreign, demonically altered thaumosphere, according to Doctor Mist, which is part of the reason he didn't come along.

Evil Conctruct Nabu is still anchored to a really stressed out civilian, and unreliable without some degree of micro-managing by Paul.

Ambrose Bierce - not really a high-intensity combat type. Giovanni Zatara - still effectively retired and recovering from his possession by canon Nabu. Zatanna Zatara - still recovering and retraining from her psychological instability due to both extended Love Emotion Infusion and the Greed Dragon encounter, as well as no longer having access to the Star Sapphire Staff. Queen Mera - not his biggest fan.

John Quinn aka current Dr. Fate - eh...not sure, but probably the same as Doctor Mist.

Angelica Blaze or Zauriel - possibilities, but this was supposed to be a stealth reconnaissance, at least at the start, and their angelic theurgy would be a big flaring 'come get us' sign. Same for bringing Supergirl Noriel.

Tracking down and recruiting an Atlantean or Themiscyran (sp?) combat mage would've probably taken longer then Superman was willing to wait, and that's assuming they wouldn't run into the same problems as Doctor Mist.

While using his working relationship with Mammon to recruit a demonic magician might be an option that would both be immediately effective and also not a big mystical warning, add the problems with Atlantis and the Amazons with the problems of general demonic unreliability, the possibility of Demon Superman having some kind of 'all demons must obey me' power or authority in play that their recruit wouldn't be immune to, and the fact that he'd need to come up with some kind of bribe to get loan of such a magically-adept demon in the first place...maybe later if it turned into a full scale war, but not for, as I said, what's supposed to be a quick scouting run before bringing the hammer down.

And finally, IIRC, Paragon Paul hasn't run into Jason Blood yet.

Ardy, ChestBurster, kyomei93 and 6 others like this.
  16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

They met once, when Paul went into Hell to take down Satanus and got turned demonic himself. I'm not sure if they've met since.

Cuchulin, Doccer, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  17. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

What makes you think that they aren't?

Xmaster3000, Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  18. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

It feels like a poorly planned and rushed party with the wrong equipment when the only credible magic expert is basically Paul and he's basically a hobbyist.
    It is somewhat refreshing to see him make a tactical mistake this large but seems out of character given his typical overpreparedness.

19. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I know Kryptonian senses are super-great and everything, but I feel like a power ring should be able to match those capabilities. It's something that's bugged me more overtly since New Kara showed up.

Now that it's not a stealth mission, they should bring in the theurgists. I wonder if Mars is safe or not- if Kal-El being demonically corrupted was the only change from Earth 16 history, then Martian Manhunter may have been corrupted and tried to take over Mars in Superman's name or something.

But yeah, getting off-planet should be possible and wise. I assume Demon Superman is weaker without a thaumosphere so he won't pursue them- that could be one way of dealing with him, even if it's not enough by itself.

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  20. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Wouldn't it have made sense to bring Supergirl Prime? Isn't she even more powerful than Overman?

Cuchulin and AmericanNumbers like this.
  21. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I'm wondering if his mind is still/again being affected by something.

Did you mean Earth One Supergirl? She's fairly vulnerable to magic (even with a spell-eater), and innocent enough that they may not have wanted to expose her to Earth-Hell.

22. QuiteJoKing

QuiteJoKing A seminal performance!

I'm really interested to see what happened to the Paul on Demon Earth. Most likely he got corrupted immediately, due to the whole no-soul thing as well as the ring not being able to do much against magic. Maybe the demons getting ahold of a Power Ring is what prompted them to start invading parallel universes?

23. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

It can, but just about anything important on Earth 16 is scry-warded nowadays and I's imagine demon Earth is the same way.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  24. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

What happened to Mike? The guy possessed by the demon Nabu.

Xmaster3000 and DrThoth like this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Back on Earth 16 with Dr. Mist.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yep, on Earth 16 at least the Lights equipment is scry warded and I imagine other organizations have adapted similar methods, not necessarily to block power rings but just to adapt to magic.

Yes, he's with Mist now.

They seemed to use Nabu's connection to Demon Earth in order to open a portal there.

Xmaster3000 and Ngamer11 like this.
  27. Mr Zoat

My bad. I forgot he existed and had to edit that segment.

28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Demonic runes? Really? And you wonder why the White Entity burned you?

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I concur. He did was far more prepared going to witch world than this.
    The fact they've made no mention of going into space before shifting? They were with Dr. Balewa when he sent them thru. No suggestions of moving it upwards. Then no mention of space or Paul creating a environment shield to explain their ability to talk in a place with no atmosphere. Let alone how Demon Superman speaks to them without air to transfer the vibrations.
    Sounds good! Paul should really get those made.
    Probably should have offered them information in exchange.
    The only thing I really think he should have included if nothing else was telling him why they were here. Not that the planet is ruled by monsters but that the planet of monsters has been invading parallel Earth's. Are the GLC fine with other Earth's suffering this fate? They supposedly already fought and loss once. Do they wanna face a force stockpiled with the corrupted versions of their now enemies from hundreds of Earths?

30. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Is Overman referring to Hitler or Ubersmech when he says "He could not raise a child"

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  31. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Unless I missed them going somewhere else the portal is on The Watchtower. They are likely to at least in Earth's upper atmosphere though give that Paul was visually examining a broken dam even though the local magic is interfering with his rings.