1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think he's referring to Hitler.

2. Clell65619

Clell65619 Making the rounds.

I'm not sure there was really so much as a deal as a general agreement not so sue each other for 'similar' characters. I mean the separation between your examples of this 'deal', Squadron Supreme from '71 and The Extremists from '08 was 37 years

People like to remark on Marvel ripping off characters from DC (Such as the Squadron Supreme) while ignoring that characters like Namor McKenzie predated Arthur Curry by about 2 years and the two have VERY similar origin stories. Granted DC's use of Marvel characters was (mostly) confined to their satire books (Like the appearance a version of the Fantastic 4, among other Marvel characters in the immortal Inferior Five.)

Seriously though, Zoat, you NEED to do a Paul variation who somehow ends up becoming the 6th member of the Inferior Five. Maybe with a less than optimal ring of some kind. Watching Paul trying to deal with Athena Tremor (Dumb Bunny) would be worth the price of admission all by itself, as would Paul commiserating with Myron Victor (Merryman) over the pointless of it all.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  3. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

In my head I’m picturing Trigon-Superman as Earth-Hell Superman.

4. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I mean, DC and Marvel still do pastiches to each other from time to time.

One of the more on the nose ones that come to mind was from Batman Beyond ( Batman of the Future, for those overseas).

Meet the Terrific Trio!

[​IMG]

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paragon has spent the past year plus just powering through or ignoring everything that's annoyed him.

So this shouldn't surprise you.

Ngamer11 and Bud-E like this.
  6. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

I figure the reason why the four of them went so quickly was due to how they had two Supermen, and Overgirl, who share the connection of being a common denominator in why the demons are invading Earth. Not to mention Superman-16 seems eager to prove EvilNabu wrong, Superman-10 is ready to find some sort of redemption in saving lives to make up for the lives he couldn't save especially at the hands of the nazis, and in the time it takes to put a proper team together the Supermen could have targeted the main threat and save more lives.

Plus Paul for all his actions in building a rapport with others doesn't mean they have to listen to him, many of these people are grown adults who can make their own choices. And if they want to fight a demonically possessed Superman than there's little he can do but slow them down long enough for back up to arrive.

7. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

"Pre-Industrial Revolution" -- Yes, I know that it looks like this means a revolution that was pre-industrial. "Pre-Industrial-Revolution" is technically incorrect but sometimes attested as a way to avoid that interpretation. (Pedantically speaking, this ambiguity is resolved by using "Preindustrial Revolution" if you really mean that.)

But hyphen(s) or not, it's still a proper noun, so it needs capitalized.

Comma instead of semicolon.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

First of all the Extremists were introduced in 1990. Which was post mortem for most of them because the Dormammu expy was the only one who survived nuclear armageddon.

Second of all they are villains of the Champions of Angor, Avenger expies from 1971.

Blue Jay, the Yellowjacket expy, and Silver Sorceress, the Scarlet Witch expy, even joined the Justice league.

10. Threadmarks: Past Participant (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

16th September 2012
    19:29 GMT

No, not a-

I fly up and invert, putting the flight path of the-

-harpy, the head is the wrong shape.

-creature below me. As it completes its lunge I punch down, my gauntlet hitting it in the back just between the wing joints.

"Gwk!"

I didn't feel anything break, but it's flying a good deal less steadily now. Hm, tougher than normal muscle without being super tough. Puts me a little in mind of the manhawks, or the aven from Magic: the Gathering. Bird people. So they fly with wings. Simple enough.

Three fly at Angelika but she pirouettes through the sky, striking wings and heads with relative gentleness, causing them to tumble down through the air without falling to their deaths. The birdpeople aren't wearing the 'S', so presumably they're not on Demon Superman's side.

"Do you have some way-"

She swerves, grabs a forearm and leg and swings her assailant into her neighbour.

"-to bind them?"

Er, okay, amount of lift required to keep a humanoid body in the air… Chains that bind their arms and legs that their claws-

Two scrabble at my construct shield as Overman and Superman recover enough to throw off the bird people trying to dog pile them. I see a few shallow cuts, but-

Two red rays blast from Overman's eyes, precisely trimming feathers from three of the closest and causing them to plummet towards the ground.

-nothing serious. The claws clearly have magic-enhanced sharpness, but if that wasn't enough of an edge-

Superman opts to open his mouth and the air before him turns to ice. It doesn't appear to disable any of our attackers, but the ones exposed to it are backing off in a hurry.

-to kill them, I think we can be confident that we have their measure. The ones attacking my barrier are piercing the construct but they aren't making it fall apart in the way some magic effects do.

-can't reach around to remove, while not being so heavy that they can't at least somewhat control their descent. I evade another birdman and then wrap him in construct chains.

"Gkhhharrr!"

Okay, titanium with carbon nanotubes should be strong enough, lock his forearms behind his back, bind them to the base of his wings to make flapping awkward and add iron weights and release. As required, the birdman falls but with one bitter glance up at me gets his wings into a glide position.

"It's a bit-"

I generate a construct mace and thump a birdwoman in the chest.

"-of a fiddle, but I can-"

Another bird shimmers into being behind Superman. He catches it around the throat and hurls it at one of its ice-coated colleagues. That's… Interesting. How are they teleporting here? They aren't teleporting around the combat zone themselves, so presumably something else is teleporting them to here. Okay, railgun, load mage slayers, see if I can get a shot through-.

"Orange Lantern." Superman gets hold of another bird person and-

Snap!

"G-caw!"

-breaks their wing part way along its length before dropping the owner. Another semi-controlled descent to the ground.

"Focus on undoing whatever demon magic-"

Angelika checks over Overman's wounds before copying his attack of choice, burning feathers with flashes from her eyes.

"-is controlling them. We can fight them just fine."

"Sir."

Al-right then. I fly down, catching up with the birdman I chained up.

"Hello there. Can you understand what I'm saying?"

Something about him -probably the magic running through his skin- is keeping me from getting a precise scan, but as far as I can tell he should be a sophont. The cranial volume and humanoid frame, combined with the tactical abilities and purpose they've displayed are strongly indicative, and I can't see any sign of remote external control.

"I've been authorised to experiment on you with magic. If you verbally respond, it's much likely to be a productive exchange."

Still nothing, though he tries to alter his flight path away from me and his eyes are moving around as he desperately looks for a way out. I'm not seeing fear, but that might just be due to the disruption.

Well, I've still got this railg-.

The sky above me turns red, the shield construct I had up there is destroyed and about a dozen birdmen are incinerated. Huh. Well-.

"You! You have brought his wrath!"

"Possibly." I shoot him in the chest, and the runes on his claws fade away. "But there's not much you can do about it other than persuade us to leave."

Though I am wondering how Demon Superman can see us. We're over the horizon, so unless he's firing through-.

Ring?

Oh. He's firing through the planet's crust. I can see the line of steam where he's boiled the waters of the Pacific. Right, there's nothing stopping him seeing me, but if he's using some sort of magic detection then he's blind to me.

"What did you do to my blessing!?"

"Nullified it. So is this your natural form?"

"Yes! We are not weak humans!"

"And not a demon. Interesting. Why did you attack us?"

"We cannot survive the Demon Superman's wrath! You are drawing it!"

"But if he just kills us, what's the problem for you?"

"For years he has just sat there! The last thing we want is for him to awaken!"

"And you couldn't have just told us that?"

"Mortal beings fighting amongst themselves amuses him. He would be content to watch."

"You don't appear to have the force to bring us down. Given that, would you be prepared to call the attack off? You can send us somewhere more dangerous and give someone else a chance to kill us?"

"Why are you even here?"

"Someone in this parallel opened a portal to the alternate reality we live in. We're here to stop the problem at the source."

"You want to fight the Demon Superman?"

"Purify him, ideally. But yes."

The bird man considers that.

"Unbind me, and I will take your words to our leader. He may decide to deal with you. Or he may destroy you himself."

I smile. "Deal."

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Kryptonians from Earth 16 don't have freeze breath?

boo600, Ardy, erebus1994 and 6 others like this.
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Remove one 'a little in mind"

'and legs'

'someone'

I though he used mage slayers for the railgun.

Either it's this universes version of bullshit Kryptonian powers or it's part of his demon enhanced power set.

13. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

According to Greg, not even regular gust of wind super breath.

boo600, WhiteNoise, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I love these little exchanges

"We hate you!"

"Yes, but the best thing you can do to get us to leave is to talk to us"

"...Fuck!"

15. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I'm not sure but I think you're missing a closing - somewhere in this. Looking at the "-nothing serious " line there's a closing -, followed later by an opening - and, later still another opening -.
    brakes -> breaks

16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

It's amazing how few metaphysically powered flyers ignore the laws of aerodynamics and gravity like that. Makes it much easier to mess with natural flyers. Same way nearly all fights in space seem to align to one horizontal plane and shared Z-axis...

Hmm... Few winged humanoid races in primary DC Earths like this. Northstar's people?

Huh, yup. It's believable that they might escape the Daemons predations, since they stick to high altitudes and latitudes.

Every downed flier means at least one other has to peel off to rescue them... Smart move.

Heh. He's kind of spoiled for choice, even with demon magic in the air.

Worrying, but not major. I doubt they'd put poison on their talons...

Ooof, talk about clipped wings. Those ones might be grounded for some time...

:confused: ...Yeah, this seems odd. Unless Supes himself is caught off guard, it might work better if Overman tries the breath and Supes the beams. Or have Supes looks surprised for a moment, as if he didn't realise he could do that... o_O Or maybe it's something he learned via Torquasm classes?

Boy, talk about multiple trains of thought. Interesting that the ring isn't translating, unless they aren't really saying anything...

That works. At least he isn't falling outright, so... Mercy win?

Heh. Does it happen to look like a Thanagarian mace, for that ironic 'Only I get this joke' moment?

Sounds like a friendly mage on their side. Might want to try and talk them down, then. The fact you're not killing anyone might help in that respect.

:eek: Ow. Okay, not killing, but that has to hurt. Guess Supes is kind of okay with getting rough if they aren't human...

Like father, like daughter. Why do I get the feeling this is something they've done before?

The Kryptonians seem to have things well in hand, after all...

Ah, OL. Only you could casually chat with someone trying to kill you not a moment ago so easily.

Getting the feeling Empathic Vision will be very unreliable here, because of the demonic taint...

...And Demon-Superman sticking his oar in. Goes to show you how powerful he is, at least.

Can't really blame them for messing up, as unprepared as they were.

:eek: ...Really powerful, it seems. More evidence that the demon controlling him doesn't give a shit about the planet any more.

Hmm... some manner of shamanic ally, then. Probably a priest of their god or a hedge-wizard.

To be fair, three of you were wearing a variation of the S-badge. Not on your foreheads, true, but still, what did you expect?

I don't think he's too concerned about collateral damage. As in, he'd laser an entire island to kill one person...

Huh, an actual 'Orcus on his throne' moment... Still, better than Darkseid on your sofa or the like... :p

Win-win all round. You won't have to deal with OL, for a start. :V

And that's something they can get behind, if it stops the madness. Though it probably sounds mad to try and fight...

Let's hope it's a 'blue beam to space' scenario, where stopping Demon-Superman turns off all the other demon-stuff instantly... Wouldn't be easy, and shit would probably still be effed up...

Well, that was easy. Then again, birdman here probably wants them gone either way. Help them or not, at least they won't be drawing the bad guys' attention to them.

What's the bet their leader is Hawkgod, or something like that? It seems about the right time period, I think? At any rate, with a little luck, the birdfolk will be able to give them some intel. They need a plan better than 'Fly to metropolis, punch Demon-Superman's face until he gives up.' Because I don't think it'll be anywhere near that easy to settle this.

BR549, Hell's Razer, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think they would.

Heck they may naturally generate poison from there.

Or if they can heal damage, which these things may be able to do, or if he does not know they're sapient.

Probably because they've done it on the past during their superhero careers.

18. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

I wonder if theirs a Devil-Batman running around He’ll-Earth.

19. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Continuity error. It has been referenced that our standard Kryptonians from 16 do not have a freeze breath, it's been mentioned several times in both Paragon and Renegade chapters like Star Crossed.

You may need a reference guide Zoat.

The Kara from star crossed had cold breath and infrared beams (non visible), 16 Kryptonians have visible eye beams, but no cold breath, and so on.

Maybe Overman should be the one using cold breath.

Ardy, Doccer, Xmaster3000 and 2 others like this.
  20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Oh... Well... That's several levels of power above Paragon...

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Multiple lines of thought were interrupted.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Yes. It basically involved him stopping molecular vibrations in his lungs and then exhaling. It's something he's learned precisely because it's low lethality.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Awesome! Is Superboy kryptonian enough to also do this after some training? Or will we only see Superman, Kara Zor-El, Match, Kara Zor-L, Overman, and Overgirl do this?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  23. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Eye lasers from across the horizon which pierce through the crust of a thaumically active planet. Wow. He’s been drinking a lot of demon juice, y’all.

“Hey Lex. Guess what you missed out on today?”

“Orange Lantern, it has been some time. To answer that question with my own: you have had a wealth of opportunities to uncover my desires and no doubt you could plant the seeds for new ones, so I’ll ask if Mercy and I are a large enough audience for this song and dance?”

“I am not here to test how well you can control your expression in front of a camera, Lex. You missed a chance to help kill a Kryptonian with Superman’s face.”

“…”

24. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

If demon Superman is an ocean away how do the hawk-people know he's awake.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

They teleported to where Paul and the others are. I wouldn't be surprised if where they came from constantly keeps an eye on the world's undisputed ruler and decided to attack the things that seem to have gotten him to stop sitting around and do something.

26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Oh hey, I wonder if Paragon realizes that if he dies here he dies for good?

Otto von Saurion and Doccer like this.
  27. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Fuck being super powerful or godlike... The power of communication and negotiating is truly op!

28. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Off.

29. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Why would dying in demon world means he dies for good?

Wetbananas, Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Because he's on a thaumically active world which would transfer his soul to an afterlife instead of insulating it, but unlike back home he couldn't wiggle out of it due to demonic corruption.