1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I mean getting tortured can change someones perspective as much as any formula.

This all leaves out how paul freeman would be more vulnerable to possession by demons, due to having no latent resistance to magic.

2. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

We don't actually know anything about how effective or not Sentinel is, and your argument just makes a shitload of sweeping generalizations about how effective a Paul can be right out of the gate despite the fact Freeman got his ass handed to him twice.

Like, unless you think he immediately picked a fight with the Nazis again after Uncle Sam's crew busted him out . . . Do you really not think he did any training at all even in secret before the second loss?

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Solved by OL necklace and just staying at a distance as support.

The points against it are fairly weak considering the effort it would take to recall the orange ring and making a new lantern. We know Paul can sort out both things in literal minutes.

Minutes of effort for a huge payoff to shore up his position and the position of one of the few locals he can somewhat trust?

It's a no brainer.

Then again Paul is a white guy under casual observation so he has less reasons than most to expect the Nazis to betray him at the first opportunity, but that will last as long as the first genetic scan results come out and then he is an impure mutt not worthy of the powers he has.

Paul is one knockout away from getting absolutely fucked, one would think he would be competent enough to prepare for such eventualities.

ashadowalker and Cuchulin like this.
  4. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Toast sandwiches date to at least 1861. World War rationing is not to blame.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Ryumancer

Ryumancer Dragons Are Romance

Ironically, actually possible in the PJ universe if the Disney 'aspect' became the version of Zeus more people associate with him than the actual mythological version of him.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

ChestBurster and Ngamer11 like this.
  8. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

He's likely driven a few people mad with punny names, just to keep up practice.

9. Threadmarks: Krummkreuz (part 11)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

16th September 2012
    17:32 GMT -4

"It was Hippolyta."

Egeria nods. "When she did not return, we assumed that she had died. I would thank you for the closure your news brought were it not for the fact that her having a daughter here will simply maintain those feelings."

"I mean, I only recently arrived myself. I don't know for certain that she's dead."

But this world doesn’t use magic. Which means that the human/kryptonian technology used in their databases isn't warded.

"Hang on-. You're right, it's an upset. Let me see if I can find out for certain one way or the other."

Ring, access American and German databases. Allied superheroes from the Second World War. What happened to Hippolyta?

Accessing. Archival images available.

I take a hologram projector out of subspace and activate it, displaying the images. Allied propaganda pictures which were widely distributed at the time appear to have survived well enough despite the book burning. A picture of a fairly familiar Justice Society line-up is most popular in modern publications, with Queen Hippolyta standing next to Ted Grant. The German intelligence file on her is fairly limited, mostly relating to public displays of her abilities. A few mission reports, and…

"Reports from near the end of the war are fairly chaotic. The Germans think she died during the Battle of New York, but a lot of the weapons they used didn't leave much in the way of remains and they never confirmed it. There are a few people around who might remember in more detail, but the Americans weren't interested in providing information to the people occupying their country and the Germans were spread too thin to track down everyone." I shrug. "I'm sorry."

"She never had a daughter. After three thousand years, the idea of having anyone else as queen…"

I nod. "I expected as much. It would probably be the same on my Themyscira. Before Diana, when they told the woman who was technically Crown Princess that she was first in line to the throne, she's supposed to have said 'Are you sure?'"

Egeria takes a moment to study the image.

"Those were her companions?"

I nod. "Yes. Other warriors with more than human abilities. Unfortunately, the Germans had far better weapons, and… Overman."

"Yes. We are aware of him. And what his people did with the tools they took from his birth-pod."

"To be fair, they did what they could to hide that stuff from him."

"That they did it is enough."

I hold my hands up. "I'm not trying to defend the Nazis. Just… Him, personally. He was an adolescent, fighting for his country. He wasn't really in any position to reflect on what happens and I know that he bitterly regrets it now. I'd rather that he hadn't fought -the alternate version of my original home nation was on the losing side- but there's not much we can do about it now."

"No, I suppose not." She sighs thoughtfully. "I'm not sure what I would do if we knew who killed her. Revenge seems… Pointless."

"It usually is. Unless you're going somewhere with it. But, ah… That does lead on to the other thing I wanted to sound you out about."

"Yes?"

"Though, first. Do you want me to repair your eye?"

"I was blinded by a demon's claw. Magic cannot heal the wound."

"My rings aren't magic. Yes, I know that it looks similar and Greeks traditionally didn't distinguish between extreme feats of skill and pure magic, but it's technically not. Also, I've seen demon-inflicted wounds before and I strongly suspect that sufficiently sophisticated magic could heal it."

"What are you? I have seen the Green Lantern, and if you are speaking the truth then your abilities far outstrip his."

They've seen..?

"As I understand it, his ring was damaged a few centuries ago when its creators were betrayed by the one wielding it. Mine are-." I glance at Larfleeze's old ring. "Well, one of them is in better repair." I shrug. "If you want a demonstration I can cut my right arm off and reattach it."

Egeria leans forward slightly. "You say that you are an Amazon."

"I'm a citizen of Themyscira. I'm not fully acculturated."

"What gods do you worship?"

"I pay due homage to the Gods of Olympus, naturally. I have gods that I am closer to than others, if that's what you mean."

"Name them."

"Hephaestus and Ploutos. Hades." I raise my hands defensively. "I know that a lot of versions of him aren't particularly nice, but the one from my world is a good person. Thoroughly committed to being a good king to the dead."

"Your people are fortunate."

I nod. "I know. He already intervened on my behalf with another pantheon that tried to poach me the first time I died."

"Is he your particular patron?"

"Ah… No. That would be Eris."

And the tension is back at once. Egeria straightens slightly, leaning forward in her seat so that she can leap into action. Philippus's hand returns to the pommel of her sword, while New Wonder Woman's leans slightly so that she can leap at me should the need arise.

"Eris sent you here?"

"No, Eris trusts me to provide her with entertainment without needing to intervene personally. I search for status quos that I find iniquitous and change them, causing havoc with established social systems. My job here… Well, do you want anything from me?"

"I want to know what 'minor requests' you intend to make before I indebt us to you."

"Horrible as the Nazi World Order is, it's still better than how things are on the version of Earth that this Diana came from. We're trying to either fix that, or at least cut it off from other Earths like this one. And the Nazis are almost wholly ignorant of magic. I certainly don't expect you to feel any camaraderie with them, but an invasion of possessed demigods would be bad for you as well, since they would actually have some idea of how to get through your wards."

"Sound reasoning. And in return?"

"What do you want?" I shrug. "Amazons on my Earth couldn't heal certain types of long-term injury. Fully restoring them was one of the first things I did after gaining citizenship. I remember… Seeing an opinion piece years ago which claimed that if everyone on Earth became unageing, people still wouldn't usually live past eight hundred due to disease and injury. I've restored limbs, fingers, eyes, ears-. And I can use this ring to enable one woman to make another pregnant; that's been increasingly popular."

One woman standing behind Egeria stands a little straighter.

"There's little I can't do with sufficient motivation, and my concern is more about time than ability. So." I shrug again. "What is it that you want?"

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul is doing a pretty good job of making peaceful contact with the Amazons of Earth 10. Hopefully nothing happens to ruin that.

That should say 'an'.

11. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier.

Thank fuck he finally stopped saying ‘I can make women pregnant.’

Something tells me that wouldn’t have flown here.

12. Mr Zoat

I'd forgotten about that. Probably not. The Renegade doesn't have an easy way to heal her.
    He'll reappear at some point, but he's been busy in the UK.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though their advanced tech may have some defences.

They may be talking about Alan Scott, who they could have met, or they've scryed and saw Sentinel.

Not starting with Eris?

Understandable.

There's the suspicion.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  14. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

So Paul still doesn't say "My ring". Must be habit at this point.

15. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Beer. Beer explains a lot of stuff like that (I mean, naming a dessert after a social disease sounds like something a drunk person would do).

Is 'rhpugh' meant to be 'though,' or is this some word that I'm unfamiliar with?

16. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Niko Parrish has the angel wings now; maybe with sufficient training she could do it. Renegade also stole the tears of a saint or something from the Alexins to heal Captain Marvel after Ishmael Gregor/Sabbac showed up in his timeline.

Renegade not doing anything about Hell is something I've talked about for a while, but it seems like an obvious metaphysical obstacle to his plans for humanity. I'd imagine he'd want to set up his own afterlife (directly or through intermediaries) with a New God of the Dead or something.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Thanks, I corrected it.

Renegade may have honestly forgotten about the dryad he saw.

Zoat did mention that in the future, Renegade will conclude that Hell is worthless, so he begins raiding it.

18. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Pony magic wouldn't work?

DrThoth and Cuchulin like this.
  19. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Boooo, quote Mordin properly.

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He specifically called it a Harrowing, meaning the Renegade's going to do to Hell what the Sheeda do to other time periods. That's going to be bloody yet awesome when it finally happens.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  21. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Zoat always belonged here in QQ He's stealth turned the amazons into futas and I just noticed.

22. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

That might be the case, Beer is even more likely the reason some places are now calling it Spotted Richard.

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Aw, we skipped the meat of the exposition? Still, at around fifteen minutes long - look at the timestamps - I suspect we'd have been bored out of our gourds fairly quickly... Though it's easy enough to grasp the details from context. Hippolyta went out as Wonder Woman, fought in the war... And presumably died.

:sneaky: Ooh, an entire network of databases, ripe for the plundering. Time to execute [DATA.Nom.Nom.Nom]... :p

Yay for obsessive record-keeping and history buffs.

Presumably the Americans destroyed what records of American superheroes they could when it looked like the Nazis were going to win.

Though if she's still alive... Where has she been? Why wouldn't she try to return home? :( No, more likely she is dead...

...I take it that's something concerning Hippolyta, after Queen Ortera's death?

"What a... Motley band. They must be Heroes. No-one else would dress so oddly."

Well, what's done is done...

True. The thing is, would you blame a soldier for the actions and orders of his rulers?

Especially since whoever pulled the trigger of that weapon (I'm assuming something akin to a clean nuke...) is probably long dead, or at least so old that death would be a mercy.

Ah, yes... The 'get help to fight a demonic invasion' bit of his visit. Admittedly, the Amazons have plenty of experience with that sort of thing.

Wounds suffered holding Doom's Doorway shut. Basically, a doorway into the deepest, wildest part of the Underworld. And home to some seriously evil - or mad - creatures.

So, I'm guessing they have the ability to receive transmissions, and decode them. Probably watching news coverage of Reichmen operations.

Let's not, blood is always hard to clean off the floors.

True. He's hardly 'gone native'...

Indeed, quite the working relationship with some... And antagonising others. I'm sure that won't seem out of the ordinary, given the typical Greek Hero.

And a good husband, too. Can't forget that!

And that would have been a sight. Hades striding up to the gates of the Silver City in full war panoply, shield and bident in hand, demanding the return of one of his worshippers?

...Oh, boy. Now the Local Eris will be laughing her ass off, if she's seeing this.

As if. She can barely even see him. Which vexes her no end. The best entertainment she's had in centuries, and she has to actually pay attention to see if he's around? How ironically chaotic...

And no doubt see if he considers them 'iniquitous'? That would be at the forefront of my mind, certainly...

Not quite 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'... More 'The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy, but for now, we fight together.'

...And with that last thing, he just got a lot more popular. At least he phrased it more clearly.

Heh, I see one possible taker already. Methinks if he hangs out for a bit, he'll likely have a queue of couples awaiting his services.

Ah, OL. Knocking even an equitable status quo a little off-kilter just by being yourself... And the classic question returns. 'What do they want?', Indeed. I foresee the Archon and her councillors having very intense discussion of OL and his offers. Beware Greeks bearing Gifts? Better watch out for the Orange Man, too.

A picture of a fairly familiar Justice Society line-up
    The repetition feels a little awkward. Maybe 'the tools they took'?
    He wasn't really in any position to reflect

;) Nothing so crass (or fun,) alas. It was more like ring-aided artificial insemination. Albeit using two eggs instead of egg and semen... Still, the ladies involved are apparently quite happy with their little ones... What was it they were calling them, again? The Pavleia or similar?

24. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

Pavlovas I believe.

I am rereading and got to the Crisis. Is Earth 50 the only one without a Paul? I gound it strange after I realized the other traditionally numbered ones also had a Paul.

25. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

I was gonna make a joke about "certain subreddits" but your post is better.

"Okay, is it...retractable?"
    "Do you want it to be?"

26. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

I can't remember, can he scan the world for DNA? I'd hate if Hippolyta was trussed up with her own lasso in a basement somewhere like the Musewas on Paul's Earth.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If she was just injured then she may be recovering and isn't strong enough to return home.

Or maybe she's ashamed that they lost the war zbd doesn't want to face her sisters.

It may not be too odd to them.

They can just think it's how they dress.

Maybe.

Soldiers have been killed and executed for following orders for a long time.

Themyscira has been portrayed in some comics as having advanced tech, so it may be true here.

Or they could have been mystically scrying and saw him.

Or Hyppolita brought Alan Scott to the island back in the past.

Yeah, they can still see the blood those Eris worshippers left on Earth 16.

Though the fact that he may not want a divorce, even though Persephone doesn't love him anymore and may want the marriage to end, is a black mark against him.

I think he'd use a bident over a spear.

He really needs to learn to phrase things more clearly.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He can do that, but if Hyppolita has some mystic protections then he may not be able to find her.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  29. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Worth a a shot since they have a potential DNA sample with earth10 Diana.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Silveraith like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

It's more that he's wearing two rings, and he could only do it with one of them.