1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In the comics Amazons have been shown to shoot down fighter jets with their bows and arrows.

So there are a lot of Amazons he ought to be jealous of. :)

2. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thought that was Nickolas Cage and The Wicker man movie?
    Huh. Thought the Queen was just being obstinate and to the letter rather than spirit.
    Does that mean the protections were gone the moment that professor guy with the Medusa talisman got there?
    I know Queen Hippolyta eased up after Diana came back to deal with the doors to the underworld episode. At least the banishment bit.
    Mr Zoat
    Paul might wanna do that walk 1 inch of the ground where ever he goes thing. Probably less egotistical looking than floating and doubt anybody would pay too much attention to his feet.
    On the other hand making himself a woman would solve that issue and produce an interesting reaction or two.

3. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

Here's a big batch of corrections (and a couple of comments) from my archive binge. A few of those are already corrected in the original post, but not in the archive thread here.

Dead link. If my memory serves me right, this is the image that was supposed to be there.

"Is"

Dead link. Once again, if memory serves it used to be this image.

"in turn"

"it"

"Well"

"on that", I think.

All your links to Goblin comic lead to the most recent page, because they've changed the format for the archive. It took me a while to figure out that this was the problem, so I didn't make a note of the previous links. Here's the updated link for this specific page.

The image behind that link is down. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be that one, but just linking the image wouldn't give the context as clearly.

I think the SI managed to gugerhaah very well, given the circumstances.

From the original post, the text in the hyper link is supposed to be "fight gun-armed criminals while wearing tights". The hyperlink of the original post is to a dead link, though, while this one works.

Dead link. I'm not sure what image used to be there, but I'm pretty sure you'll find something suitable on that page.

"than" (another one that was corrected long ago in the original thread)

I honestly cannot decide which would be worse for Nabu. Admitting that he's lying or that he could have let them talk together without effort at any point before this. I also like how both Paul and Zatanna immediately jump to a different conclusion.

I'm not sure what image should be there. Maybe this one?

"a meeting"

Dead link. I'm not sure what was supposed to be there, but I think you should be able to find something good somewhere on this page.

"too"

That's an important qualifier. As the Reach is going to find out...

Smart lads.

The link is dead, but I don't have a good suggestion for a replacement. I can only find image with the winged helmet rather than the deerstalker hat described here (and which I kind of remember from when I first read this. I normally don't point out dead links when I don't have a good replacement suggestion, but this is the introduction of a rather important character.

So ... Scott Free and Grayven?

"they"

Dead link. I haven't been able to find a good picture of Angelica Blaze, the closest I got was this.

Dead link again, but this time I don't know what's supposed to be there.

"fix"

I believe this is supposed to "now that I think".

EDIT: should I post those correction suggestions inside spoilers to avoid interfering with the discussion of the current post?

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That was Faust and yeah, the protections being dropped if a man stepped on the island could explain how a guy that's only been practicing magic for a few years was able to subdue an entire island.

Though I guess he may have gotten some blessings from Hades.

Prince Charon, Doccer and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If I remember correctly, it was fanart of a teenaged version of Blaze in Young Justice.

Doccer likes this.
  6. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

That was 'Not the bees!'. This is the 'Bees. My God.' meme. Specifically, the Amazons dug up some of their stranger weapons as part of the fight. Like killer attack bees. And even Batman looks like 'Are they serious? Bees?' though his reaction is more serious in-universe.

I have no idea who that is. I sadly have not seen anything more than clips of the Justice League cartoons...<checks wiki> Ah, Felix Faust? It says the Amazons were turned to stone, though. Maybe that prevented the penalties from harming them for the duration? I would presume there are loopholes to avoid penalties or atonements they can perform. They apparently banished Diana afterwards...

7. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Which was news to me, hence making it legitimately a sloe news day.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey, bees can be pretty deadly.

Don't worry, I spend my time watching clips from House M.D. on YouTube instead of watching the show, so I know what you're going through.

9. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

Double rainbow all the way!

"different"

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Ah, darn it. Remember back when the Red Lantern version killed Kid Karnevil? There's a brilliant scene from Salvation Run where he fanboys at the Joker. When the Joker tells him that he's not interested in a sidekick, Karnevil says that he doesn't want to be one. No, he wants to flay the Joker and wear his skin as a cloak as a tribute. The Joker's expression in the next panel is priceless.

I should have linked to that.
    Okay, firstly, do not refer to the Nicholas Cage version of that film as the default version. It's a crap remake.
    That might have been a good idea. Unfortunately, the SI has never heard that version before. He has an environmental shield on, if that's any good.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Your link doesn't show anything for me. It's surprisingly hard to get a good picture of White Martians.
    Thank you, corrected.
    That one is intentional.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct.
    This, but that's not actually meant to be Angelica Blaze. It's an OC called Blaze.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm assuming that this is the kid whose skull Komand'r saw in Raul's trophy place.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, are the other two Marvels and Kara Zor-L members of the Team now? If not, when will they join? Also, where exactly is Innocent Kara staying while on Earth 16?

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The mountain, the Fortress of Solitude, Kara or Clark's place, or the Kent farm are the most likely places.

Jahquez and Ngamer11 like this.
  14. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

OI! English food is perfectly good

15. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Yes, it's edible and doesn't taste disgusting or burn your taste buds so that you can't taste your food. But that's about all.

Prince Charon likes this.
  16. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

Try this.

17. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

I actually expect a nuke set off inside the ship would cripple it but not fully destroy it. If it's in orbit it's probably going to stay in orbit, not fall to Earth. Even a good knock downwards or backwards as it breaks up is only really going to make its pieces orbit a bit more elliptically. Might give us a headstart on Kessler Syndrome though.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

No, maybe at some point in the future.
    I haven't really thought about it.
    Let me find a magnifying glass.

19. Threadmarks: Krummkreuz (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

16th September 2012
    17:16 GMT -4

Archon. Not Queen. Hippolyta did say that Diana's creation was the closest that she ever came to being overthrown. But… Greeks usually just sent unpopular tyrants into exile, if only because the people casting them down were usually well aware that they might end up sharing that fate at some point and didn't want to establish an unfortunate precedent.

"How did you get through the wards?" Ginger Amazon has relaxed very slightly since I've continued behaving myself, but it's the sort of 'dealing with a total stranger I don't want to inadvertently provoke with a display of anger' thing. "Are you some sort of god?"

"That's a bit complicated, but I don't meet most of the requirements to be regarded as a god." I smile. "You know, like how a plucked chicken isn't a man."

"I agree, a.. plucked chicken is not a man."

Her facial expression hasn't really changed, but it sounds like she isn't familiar with Diogenes. That's a problem with Amazons; they've been on the island since the Mythic Greek period, meaning that they often have a gap when it comes to knowledge of Classical Greece. I'll fabricate a copy of Parallel Lives for her before I leave.

"I don't think anyone else will be getting in, if that's what you're worried about."

"Even if your intent is pure, the wards would not know that you were bringing an Amazon home for healing."

"Yes, but their concept of 'permission' may be a little broader than you've assumed. They know that I'm allowed inside, so even if most of the people inside don't think that someone like me should be able to get inside, I can get inside."

The geography may be the same, but the architecture is radically different. The regular multi-storey stone and brick buildings from Themyscira 16 are entirely absent. Instead, they appear to have gone in for a much more individualistic approach, buildings drawing on a wide variety of pre-modern styles and eras.

"The way you're looking at the buildings. You've been here before."

"Sort of."

"How?"

How to put this? I don't think there's any relevant mythological reference I could make. On the other hand, Amazons are generally fairly well educated and used to things other people would consider very strange.

"How different would life be if we all made different choices? What if Queen Hippolyta had led the Amazons north rather than south? What if Amazons regrouped on the island for a time and then reached outward towards their new neighbours rather than remaining isolated? What if Zeus was a faithful husband?" I shrug. "So many possibilities."

"Do you mean that you got through the wards because it is possible that you would have been permitted through the wards if people had made different choices?"

"Not exactly. Imagine if there were a world… Out there, somewhere, where different choices had been made. Imagine it was possible to move between them. One where I'm a journalist in a country you've never heard of, and another where I'm a Themysciran citizen."

She stops, glaring intensely at me.

"How is that possible?"

"I don't know. I didn't build the universe; I just work here."

"They made a man a citizen?"

"Five, actually. One citizen married-. A man, and they had a son, and the Crown Princess adopted two sons and trained a male student. That's me. Hello!"

She looks like she strongly suspects that I'm lying, but can't prove it right away.

"Your.. Themyscira must be a very different place."

"I haven't seen enough of this one to say. Oh, do you want your-"

She leads us out into a small plaza, and I look up to see the party ready to receive us.

"-arrow back?"

Wonder Woman 10 kneels, receiving a nod from the figure in the extravagant robes in return. She has scars on the left side of her face and her left eye is covered by a patch, but… I don't remember any Amazon on Themyscira 16 looking like that.

"Hail Egeria, Archon of Themyscira."

"Hail Wonder Woman."

Ah, Philippus's predecessor. I assume that in this timeline she survived her injuries. I… Suppose that she'd have been in the running. She'd certainly have demonstrated the sort of martial ability and selflessness that the Amazons respect. Philippus herself is standing at her right hand, still wearing the Captain's armour.

I float the arrow back into the new Wonder Woman's quiver as I bow.

"Archon."

"As a citizen, you are entitled to petition me. Though if all you want is aid for one of our sisters I cannot imagine that I will refuse."

How did she-? Okay, I… Guess they've got radios or something.

"Did you overhear the part about worlds where different choices were made?"

"I did. This may be your first audience, but it is customary to introduce yourself."

Oh. Darn.

"I apologise. The Amazons back home usually call me 'Pavlos'. I hold the rank of Illustres in the Orange Lantern Corps. But about that.. aid. If you're minded to grant the request, I doubt that her condition is going to improve for getting it to her more slowly."

"The healers will be here to examine her shortly."

"Might I request-? I don't know how different your history is, but is your Magala still alive? Given the nature of Diana's injuries, I think it would be a good idea to include a dedicated human magic user."

Egeria turns her head slightly to the right and nods, one of the guards nodding back and leaving at a jog.

"If she is willing, it shall be as you ask."

"Thank you. I'd really like to get her back on her feet."

"Who is she?"

"Um. Okay, my version of Themyscira is ruled by a woman named Hippolyta."

"Yes. We were as well."

"Right. So about eighty years ago she got a bit broody and arranged to have a daughter sculpted from clay and then brought to life by magic. That's a version of her. Incid-."

I stop talking, because even I can read the room better than to continue.

"A daughter?"

"Um. Yes. I mean, that's not your version. As far as I know, she's from a world where a hugely powerful demon twisted everything and everyone with its magic. She had a helmet which was warping her mind, which I destroyed before bringing her here."

"She is the daughter of Queen Hippolyta."

"I haven't had a coherent conversation with her, but that seems most likely. I mean, I don’t know what sort of state-"

Three priestesses dressed as clerics of Apollo enter the plaza and immediately head towards Diana with a stretcher. I lay her out on it before removing my construct hold on her.

"-she'll be in when she wakes up. I imagine that she'll want to go home. Archon, I feel like I'm missing some pertinent information that would allow me to better understand what's going on."

She nods. "It seems that you are. Allow me to explain the state of things."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  20. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Oh thank all the gods. I was getting confused.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well, demigod.

Ahh, Paul. You're always leaving people with the impression that you're crazy.

Then we may get something like the Disney version.

Speaking of that one, I once read a fic in which that version replaces the Zeus from Percy Jackson and acts the way he'd usually act towards his Hera, with love and care.

Hera is incredible disturbed by this and thinks it's some kind of trick.

Weird sentence.

Remove the first 'robe'

Time for some much needed exposition.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I kinda want to hear a little more about the man who actually got married to an Amazon. How does that work exactly, what with her only being immortal on the island and him aging normally? Also, did Paragon!Wonder Woman not adopt Match? I guess Match is living with the Kents in the Paragon timeline.

Everyone immediately started staring at Paul after he said who she was, didn't they. Time for an Earth 10 history lesson. Hopefully this will get the Amazons to at least trust Paul a little, just enough to not try and stab him in the back or something.

23. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Or Physical avatar of a primordial force.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm drawing a blank here.

Who is he talking about?

Unless her Themyscira was destroyed.

ChestBurster, Ardy and Prince Charon like this.
  25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think it's a random nobody who got lucky and got in a relationship with an Amazon. I think I remember a mentioning of some guys propositioning the ones who leave the island, maybe in the Queen of Fables episode.

ChestBurster, Ardy and Relyt33 like this.
  26. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

precedence -> precedent
    Should that be "North" and "South"? I think your usage is probably valid but I'm not sure what the rules are with cardinal directions.

27. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

I'm thinknig it wasn't Diana made on this world. Either a son or a mate who tried to take over. Can't tell if the shock was on it being a girl or a child of hippolyta.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Uyurgezn like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

29. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Well, I looked up that comic where Kid Karnevil wants to flay the Joker. You were right, the look on the Joker's face was pretty good.

Wish I could say the same for the story. A bunch of villains get stranded on a death world and the Joker is able to become a major leader because he bashed in Psimon's head with a rock. They still have all their super tech and superpowers, but watch the fuck out. The Joker has a rock.

Then Luthor shows up and takes charge by just being charismatic and inspiring. Joker is a salty bitch and somehow has the influence to lead a competing faction. So I basically stopped reading there. Joker is a fun villain and all, but come on. These people wouldn't put up with his shit.

That aside, there was also a Dr. Sivana who just looked like a normal bald guy instead of a weird gremlin. So that was neat, I guess.

Finerc, Ardy, Relyt33 and 8 others like this.
  30. QuiteJoKing

QuiteJoKing A seminal performance!

Paul should just just announce that he's a disciple of Eris and all the Amazons will take everything else he says in stride.