1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Maxim 29. The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

There are no futa Amazons.
    Yes.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Who's Seymore?

3. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Don't remember if that was because of Hades's own choice or Zeus's decree or something, but seems like a good chance for Hera to exercise her newly realized capacity of Goddess of Divorce. Hope she can help out Hephaestus too.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  4. preier

preier I trust you know where the happy button is?

killed while following orders, certainly.

I'm unsure of 'executed for following orders', though. If you're referencing Nuremberg that's 1) really not that long ago 2) mostly applied to high-level officials.
    could you provide a clarification of your meaning?

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Redheaded Amazon (Artemis?) has arrows that change directions on their own, so these Amazons certainly have something.

Probably magic, since these Amazons have a Magala, the Neanderthal sorceress Amazon.

Presumably not a Neanderthal in this case though, since Zoat certainly doesn't otherwise indicate that he used the "all Amazons were reincarnated into clay bodies" origin for WTR's version of Earth-16 Amazons, and that makes a Neanderthal Amazon a bit harder to explain.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Corrected.

I think it's a little of both.

Hades may want to work it out with his wife and I think Hephaestus mentioned they need Zeus's permission to divorce, which he may not give.

And Hera may not be able to do much, since she probably lost some power from divorcing Zeus.

There have been times throughout history where soldiers, even low level ones, were executed for following orders after they've been captured.

7. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Versed in the lewd.

Hades being evil or not nice is more of a modern thing and DC things its not how his actual myths (the few that there are) portray him as he is mostly one of the most Benign of his siblings for the most part. The from what i know the only time he isn't is when it comes to people trying to sleep with his wife The Dread Persephone.
    Its why i like your Earth 16 Hades since he is more true to his Myths

8. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

What a lie. He shits on Zeus and Apollo and beyond a cordial relationship with several cthonian gods, Hera and, by one remove, Helios, I haven't even seen him mention anyone else, let alone pay "due homage".

Actually, Hera is the only god actually residing on Olympus with whom he has a positive relationship. Hephaestus might also count, though he hasn't been there in a long time iirc.

Chaoswind and Rockinalice like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He has paid homage to them, or at least used to.

When he was in Heaven he told the angel there that he performed rituals and sacrifices for the major gods, like sacrificing an animal for Zeus, which he viewed as a waste of time.

He may still do it, at least for the other gods.

He also has a positive relationship with Eris, and he may be in Poseidon's good books, due to playing a major role in stopping Oceanus.

There is also Caliope, who he rescued and who helped him when the Queen of Fables stuck him in that play.

Hey, Zoat, are those viking warriors still on Earth or did they go back to Valhalla?

And why was Paul in charge of finding a way to send them back?

Why didn't they just ask Nabu?

I know that Paul hated him, but the rest of the League didn't and he was the most knowledgeable when it came to magic.

10. Mr Zoat

He chose his words with care. Due homage. The homage which he thinks they're due.
    They're currently still on Earth, enjoying the change of pace.

The SI generally avoided Nabu, because he wasn't sure how well he could maintain his calm around him.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Okay, I know that, but if I remember correctly, Batman, or one of the others, gave him the job to find a way to send them back.

Why didn't they just ask Nabu to do it?

He's their magic expert and while some of them were ambivalent about him, I don't think they'd distrust him to send the vikings back.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

If the Einherjar were enjoying themselves, why would they cooperate with any attempt to send them back?

13. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Mr Zoat
    I've been thinking about culture shock and how to get the populace to see another way and help screw Uncle Sam's head on straight.
    What if Paul just copies Earth 16's entire Internet and attached the copy to Nazi Earth's internet and leave it there to be found? And leaves all the services you'd have to buy like Netflix completely free? What if he takes their Uncle Sam back to his Earth to be affected by Earth 16 America?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  14. Threadmarks: Krummkreuz (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

16th September 2012
    21:57 GMT

"What do I want?"

Nommo Balewa 10 regards me tiredly. He wasn't even hiding, really. No anti-detection wards at all. Really, why would he have them? The Reich doesn't have magicians who could try to find him or technology advanced enough to be turned aside by that sort of ward, and the other shamen… They've got better things to do than bother him.

"Even if there were something, why would you be allowed to geev it to us?"

His English isn't quite as good as Nommo Balewa 16. He hasn't had much reason to practise since the Reich took formal control of the African territories of Britain and Belgium after the Second World War.

"I realise that this is-. That this sounds strange, but-"

"You are not of this Earth. But you are human. There are other versions of Earth, then, that exist in reality and not merely in the reflections of the Dream?"

"Yes. I was able to find you because-."

"Yes, I am not eh fool."

He holds my gaze for a few moments before turning away with a sigh and walking through the village.

I follow. I get a few glances from the locals but they look away once they're sure that I'm not heading towards them. They're not afraid of me personally but white people being around isn't usually a good sign.

"Do you know how we live?"

I look around. It's all pretty backwards and primitive, but people live like this on Earth 16 in places. And I'm pretty sure they live like this in places on Earth Prime.

"Not in any detail."

"We are barred from having any technology judged to be 'outside of our cultural milieu'. Anything from Europe is banned. Anything from Asia is banned. The most productive farmlands are taken by white settlers while we are driven into reservations like this."

I frown. "How do they judge whether a thing is 'European-?" I shake my head. "Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were talking about Nazis."

"It depends. In some places, anything that is not in copyright will be accepted. In others, even the wheel is prohibited. It depends on how vindictively the local Group Leader of the African SS wishes to behave."

"But magic's fine."

"Yes. And I know why you are here. The German Empire is being attacked by demons."

"Yes. And.. I-."

"No."

"You haven't heard my offer."

"And you have not lived in eh Reservation. We may only farm and hunt inside the Reservation, and we can only live where we are told. We cannot use the building techniques which would let us build better and we cannot use chemical medicine. If we could migrate then disease would be less of a problem, but we must stay in one place. It is a slow death."

"Would you all like to leave?"

He stops walking and turns back to face me.

"You do not have the influence to change the policy of the Empire."

"I don't need to. The possessed come from an alternate Earth. Not mine, and not this one. So many people have died on the other side that there's more than enough space for everyone who wants to leave. If you take part, you'll have the opportunity to study the portals in detail. When it's over, you could just portal everyone yourself, assuming that they weren't willing to let you go in the name of the full ethnic cleansing of this Earth."

"True. Perhaps appealing. But that is no reason for me to involve myself now."

"The demons aren't going to differentiate between black people and white people."

"The Empire says that magic is for negroes. They say that it is a sign of foolishness and mental weakness."

"I'm not trying to defend-."

"I will not let this Earth be destroyed. But I think that the interests of the world are best served by letting the Empire bleed a little. I think it is best if they test their devotion of their ideals in difficult circumstances, where the answers are not handed to them by aliens or by men from the future. I think it is best that they see that they need magic as the negro people of Africa need medicine."

"Yeah, that's…" I look away for a moment. "I can't say that's not fair. The version of you from my home parallel is usually pretty non-interventionist, too."

"Why would you ask me, if even he would refuse you?"

"No, I don't think he'd refuse. Not in a situation like this. He doesn't like people with super powers dominating civilisation."

"So he would remove Overman first. And Overman is already gone. Perhaps I should take as many of the Empire's heroes through the portal as I can, and then strand them there with him."

"Given how old you are, I'd be surprised if you were that vengeful. But no. He might have destroyed Overman's pod if he'd been on the ball in the thirties, but I think he'd find the idea that there was an Earth that was ruined by a single possessed man far more offensive than one cruel and racist empire. You can't tell me that you haven't seen things like this before."

"I have seen rulers offering advantages to their own tribe within an empire before. I have even seen tribes slaughtered before. But I have never seen it on this scale before. And before, there was somewhere to flee to."

"You could have a whole Earth to flee to."

"I will watch what happens. But I have no interest in involving myself to aid the Empire."

"I understand. Thank you for hearing me out." I offer him my right hand, and after a brief hesitation he takes it. "Let me know if you change your mind, so that we can coordinate properly."

"I will."

I raise my right hand to my forehead,

step out

and return to the material universe in what would on Earth 16 be Bialya. To be more precise, the site of Nabu's tomb. Scans show nothing, and given that Doctor Fate was on the Justice Society it's most likely that he was either destroyed or is already in Nazi captivity. Assuming that this is one of the dominant Nabus. It could just as well be one of the purely advisory ones.

I step out again and

16th September 2012
    18:01 GMT -4

appear in Themyscira's hospital. "Any news?"

The first priestess to recover from the surprise of my reappearance nods.

"She wakes, but she is confused. Her mind is clouded."

I nod. "Let's see if I can help with that."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's interesting that Nommo Balewa 10 isn't enlightened. Was he just never enlightened, or did the horrors of Nazi rule somehow result in him losing it?

16. Mr Zoat

They've got pretty good censor systems. It wouldn't change much.
    No, that was just me forgetting again.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'African'

Yeah, their standards ranged from the convoluted to the downright stupid.

'to leave'

Though the fact that it basically has Hell energy everywhere may make them reluctant.

Unless this version isn't enlightened, then his quote marks should be white.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'Society, it's most likely'

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

I think it's okay.

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And today we see the hard limits of Paragon's mentality.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

How so? After everything that's happened to Africans on Earth 10, it's not surprising that Nommo Balewa 10 would prefer to see the German Empire have its teeth kicked in by demons. I can't possibly think of anything that Paul or the Renegade could offer to get his assistance.

23. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Honestly, as understandable as it is I'd probably react to his reasoning with, "Don't care. You're helping anyways." Then either branding or assimilating him.

We've already seen that those branded or assimilated can still use their magic, and, well, fuck it. The alternative is risking another Hell Earth that will be indiscriminate in its suffering.

24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And his enlightenment is probably being sorely tested by the local occupation forces, I bet. I can't help but picture the overall atmosphere as anything but oppressive, no matter how hands-off they might be.

One of the better maps I could find of the period here... And keep in mind that as an immortal, he lived through that period. So this is not the first time he's been hassled by European 'colonists'.

Perceptive of him. I'm guessing he can sense the subtle differences in OL's inner lights...

I suppose it would be pretty clear that OL knows, or knows of, his own reality's counterpart (which he does.) The man's spent a lot of time and effort keeping his head down, after all.

Since the Nazis showing up means someone's about to be taken as a 'criminal' or similar, no doubt.

Though on our world, some of those communities sport cell phones and internet capabilities... Hooray for the information age.

And because it's coming from a European-centric perspective, they're banned from anything close to the more advanced historical constructions... Because to the Nazis, any peoples from the sub-Saharan regions must have been primitives who got by on hunting and minimal farming. :rolleyes:

And let me guess, a lot of them lean on the asshole side? Give a jerk a little power...

Well, good to know you're aware of the situation. Care to lend a hand?

...Well, shit.

...Okay, I suppose he's got fair reason for being upset. In a way, the Nazis are still trying to wipe them out, they're just not doing it quickly...

Not by himself, no... But a word in Overman's ear...

Ah... You want to see the Nazis bleed a bit first?

And they're idiots. Do you care what they say? You're old enough to know to ignore the barking of dogs.

And if the world is lost in the teaching of that lesson? Or will you wait and step in only as the Nazis begin to crumble?

Because Balewa-16 still loves life. And someone interfering with the natural course of that life? Well...

...That won't make the situation here any better, you know.

Is that your solution to everything? Run away, until there's nowhere left? What then... Will you lay down and die? You can't tell us something in there doesn't want to fight...

...True, you have your people to think of. I wonder, how many local officers decided to 'discreetly' wipe out a tribe, and claim they were planning an uprising, or something similar... I could see that happening so easily.

But I don't think that is likely anytime soon.

More likely Kent Nelson died fighting. The Helm probably sits in some museum or Reichsmen trophy room...

Probably one of the few places on Earth that people are accustomed to someone appearing out of thin air. Depending on how often the Olympians manifest, anyway, and in what ways...

Planning to tap her desires and try to push her into wanting to be awake and cognisant?

Well... The talk with Doctor Mist could have gone better. I didn't expect him to be so... Passive about the threat, even if the Nazis are the only ones being affected yet. Still, he's seen sixty or seventy years of their oppression, so I can understand. And he's old enough to know that this will probably pass in time, too. I suppose it also does OL some good to be rebuffed now and again, too. Can't win everyone over...

Don't you mean Earth-16?

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I sincerely doubt that Paul could brand or assimilate Doctor Mist.

26. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

The "too" error is still present.

It's unclear why Paul went to Nabu's tomb. I'm guessing that it will be revealed soon.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That's clear enough. The Nazis don't use or understand magic, so they have no specific defense to counter it. Previously, they just used their overwhelming technological advantage to overpower whatever goes against them, magic or not. However, this won't help them in detecting demonic magic use, preventing portals from Demon Earth from being opened, and probably in stopping Demon Superman. Paul went to the two magic users that he knows might be around and found that one won't do anything for now, and that the other doesn't seem to be around anymore.

28. j334

j334 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Thanks for linking to wheel paper. It's interesting

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

I don't see why he couldn't. It's not like he's failed to brand or assimilate things just as ancient and likely more powerful. Some of them even magical.

EternitysInfinite likes this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I doubt he'd be able to do that with Mist.

He's looking for magical help and Nabu is extremely powerful, so he may be able to help him deal with the Demon Earth.

Most of the things he's assimilated were not prepared or were somehow disabled and weakened.

Mist may be prepared and he doesn't appear to be weak.

Also Paul needs to want to assimilate something.

If he doesn't want it then he can't do it.

The other things he's assimilated were things he wanted to assimilate and had no problem with, seeing as they were demons or in Nabu's case, someone he hated.

He has trouble doing that to people that aren't morally repugnant, and Mist isn't morally repugnant.