1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Joelseph14

Joelseph14 Know what you're doing yet?

Man the first time I read this chapter I had no idea what Worm was and now that I've read some of it this hits so much better

ChestBurster and Doccer like this.
  2. Visual Pun

Visual Pun Reawakening Revenant (i.e. 'Venant'?)

PHRASING!

and homonyms’ll getcha.

3. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

The Last Airbender exists as an academic example on how NOT to make a movie.
    Pretty much anything in it displays how things should not be done.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  4. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Just realised how they could fix Prime Earth continuity.. The entire thing could be a Snowflame hallucination, and then he snorts another line, and it's over, back to New Earth.

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Prime Earth has had two reboots already since it's introduction, Rebirth when Mixy put the two Supermen in a blender, and the whole Perpetua thing.

For example now Superman is over seventy years old and losing his powers, apparently no one at DC had a problem making Supes like one of those creepy Twilight vampires, since that makes Lois several generations younger than him.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Cost me a bet that film did. I bet that it would be more popular than the other film named Avatar. It seemed like a reasonable assumption; there was an existing audience of fans and the script was effectively written and tested.

Shows what I know.

7. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

That's not a no to the anime songs~
    Wanted as in what the Movie Wanted with Jolie and Morgan Freeman was based on?
    I am not familiar with the comics beyond that they exist. Assuming we are talking about the same sort of Wanted here. Is there something I should know??
    Plus that incident concerning a poorly titled book shows he can just download it all direct to his brain!

8. Mr Zoat

The film is an In Name Only adaptation. Some of Wesley's introduction is the same. Other than that it's completely different.

The whole premise of the comic is that supervillains eliminated their world's superheroes and now rule the world, able to do whatever they want. After a supervillain called The Killer dies, his old friends pick up his illegitimate son and introduce him to their world, put him through supervillain training and eventually induct him into their ranks as The Killer II.

That... Doesn't happen in the film.

9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Wanted was originally a rejected proposal for a Secret Society of Super-villains story, so Wesley was going to be Deadshot's son.

10. RichardWhereat

Sounds like those were lines Snowflame was snorting.

11. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Maxim, actually.

Well, that was the excuse I used, but my parents made me take it back to the store anyway.

12. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

so i guess we are not gonna do anything about that huh?

13. RichardWhereat

It would take too long and they're a fairly stable empire nearish earth. He's in the middle of a war against a far worse opponent. He'll likely stop them if they get closer to earth, but he can't commit the forces he'd need to to overthrow it.

For the moment the best he can hope for is social change.

Otto von Saurion and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Threadmarks: Workhorse (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

4th October 2012
    08:10 GMT

"Legion craft, you are cleared for descent. Remain within the indicated corridor."

Havania has nothing like the number of ships standing guard as Thanagar itself does, but it does have several large military defence stations and near-planet shipyards. The stations appear to be under the control of the Empire's military rather than local officials.

"L.E.G.I.O.N. acknowledges, Havania control. Course entered."

And down we go, into the atmosphere. Our ship is perfectly capable of maintaining a steeper angle of approach and a higher velocity, but quite understandably they don't want to take a chance on us suicide ramming something. Especially not the home of the planet's ruler.

"Why does she live in a castle?"

"It's not exactly a classical castle in the European style. The insides are perfectly modern. But when Thanagarians first came here they wanted defensible structures at high elevation, and it was easier to quarry stone using local corvée labour than to bake bricks or mix concrete. Now, it's tradition."

"'Corvée'."

"Technically."

"Given how badly you reacted to Zatara being enslaved, I'm a little surprised at how little you care about it."

"I reacted badly because I like Zatanna and respect Zatara, and because of the form his enslavement took. The Havanian native population were primitive hunter-gatherers before the Thanagarians arrived, and now they have access to technology they wouldn't have had for thousands of years, if at all."

"At least you're honest about being an imperialist. Didn't Truggs come back in time to stop that happening to Earth?"

"That was because it was the Reach. You know that anyone occupied by them gets exterminated eventually. Under the Thanagarians, the size of the native population has increased from the level it was at the start of colonisation due to better medicine and agricultural technology, as well as the elimination of internal violent conflict. It's like Britannia and Roman Empire. Besides, who around here is actually worth getting conquered by? The Ungarans?"

"Xudar?"

"Barely. They're mostly isolationist, so there's no access to any great trade network. They aren't especially skilled at societal management, and that's mostly what holds Earth back, so there's no benefit there. Now if Krypton was still a going concern then we'd have something to talk about."

That gets a raised eyebrow.

"Wouldn't Krypton have conquered us effortlessly?"

"Yes, because they were still empire-building a century or so ago. But they didn't really colonise in depth, so we'd get limited access to their technology without having to worry about our culture being destroyed."

"A century or so?"

"Yes?"

"So when the British Empire was at its peak?"

"Ah… Probably. Maybe slightly after its peak?"

Jade smiles faintly as she double checks our final approach vector.

"Landing zone sighted. What should I wear?"

"This isn't a state visit. Whatever you like."

"I'd like to wear my exo-mantle."

"You could. Thanagar is very proud of its military, and they won't be offended if you feel the same way."

"But Bleez won't."

"Thanagarian intelligence assets don't have a uniform. There's a formal mode of dress for Havanian nobility, but I doubt that she'll wear it. Oh, and-."

A minor eye roll.

"I'm not going to mention that you know that she's an informant. But do you want me to mention it if she knows that you know?"

"I'm pretty sure that she knows that I know."

"Then do you want me to mention it if she knows-"

"-that I know-"

"-that she knows?"

"I don't know. I don't know."

Jade lets out an amused snort as we land. Local custom dictates that nobles should only speak face to face while other communications are relayed via servants. Since we don't have a servant with us… Though I suppose that my construct lanterns would probably have counted. I think I could get away with direct personal communication, but now that we're here I want to give Princess Bleez the opportunity to decide how she wants people to see us.

Jade switches the ship's systems into standby and stands, taking a moment to shake out her outfit.

I raise my left hand slightly.

"Do you want me to-?"

"She's going to fly out wearing a bikini, isn't she?"

"Technically, no. Thanagarians aren't big on swimming."

"But as I've said, it's not a competition. Unless you want it to be, in which case, you win."

Jade takes in a deep breath, then snorts it out in a sharp exhalation. "She's pretty hot, isn't she?"

"Yes."

"Basic laundry, then-" I'm already running a laundry beam over her as we both get up and head towards the airlock. "-let's go."

"Have you got a flight-?" She pulls her blouse aside slightly to show me her kinetic belt. "Good show."

The airlock swings open and Jade confidently walks out, her eyes moving to take in as much of her environment as she can without getting distracted from-.

"Hey!" Bleez descends through the air from one of the upper towers, wings flared and body covered in what is basically a cut down halter top and a thong with streamers. She lands just in front of Jade and smiles warmly at her. "You're Jade, right! Paul's told me so much about you!"

Bleez makes a wing gesture of trust, extending the wing tips slightly in front of her so that she wouldn't be able to fly away quickly if Jade attacked her.

"It's so good to finally meet you!"

"I'm happy to be here."

Bleez turns her head to pout at me. "And I thought you were avoiding me."

"Perish the thought."

"Now you're here, we can-"

"Bleez? Where are you?"

"-get out of here before Mother catches up. Humans can fly, right?"

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  15. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Missing line spacing

16. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

That's the thing. It's not that bad elsewhere in the empire, and tipping the beehive would make it an earth vs thanagarian empire thing.

They literally don't even have a space force finished, they can't fight an entire empire's worth of industrial capacity.

Also Paul would lose a bunch of reputation and wreck his relationships for behaving so rashly.

The Reach is different because they have made themselves the enemy of the Controllers and all the planets they're trying to screw over.

Thus Paul can fight them with a space navy
    lol why aren't you calling for an invasion of Apokolips?

Ardy, Finerc, Relyt33 and 10 others like this.
  17. Old Knife

Apparently they've misread the situation. Bleeze is using him as an excuse to go do fun things.:D

18. transhumansage

what story is this from? and is it about how the populace rise to overthrow the imperialist birds and gain independence?

Relyt33, Cuchulin, kagekami42 and 4 others like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps issue 2.
    No, it's about the Sinestro Corps flying in and killing everyone.

20. transhumansage

how depressing. i hope they got punished later on.

21. Rockinalice

Rockinalice Versed in the lewd.

(Note: done in not that serious tone of voice)
    Because odds are they wouldn't win even if he tryed Apokolips beat the greenies and the Guardians the first time and didn't suffer much for it. So it would probably require the whole Maltusian species at least to have a chance. (It doesn't help that I'm pretty sure that Apokolips is magnitudes bigger then Earth) Darkseid is a Monster when he is taking things seriously and not playing around like he does when fighting the Blue Boy Scout

22. néocorvinus

néocorvinus Versed in the lewd.

Sinestro Corps: So incompetent that an entire corp was formed with the people they failed to kill. Also, good at making Green Lanterns fall to the Dark Side, sadly, to the wrong dark side

23. cerberus beasty

cerberus beasty Making the rounds.

oh no I've gone cross eyed.

dxdragon, ChestBurster, Rebu and 3 others like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In exchange for basically being slaves.

He cared about Zatanna.

As long as an devil act doesn't hurt those he cares about then he may be willing to overlook it.

Unless they do what they did to Amalak's people and reduce you to an endangered species.

Heh.

Ahh, the 'I know that you know that I know that you know' routine.

But it'll still be a bikini, or at least very revealing.

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think that should say "Now that you're here, we can-".

Assblaster5000 likes this.
  26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, that's ominous, but hardly unusual, I suspect. Thanagar seems to be the kind of Empire that likes to keep a close grip on the reins of power in its colonies where it can. Having control of their local space would go a long way to helping with that.

Ah, the old Kzinti Lesson: 'The more efficient a reaction drive is, the better a weapon it makes'. Admittedly, that's more 'We turned our ship around to point the fusion torch drive at them' than 'hypersonic orbital kamikaze'. But still... Remember the Holdo manoeuvrer?

And it's classy as fuck.

Corvée, for the record. Essentially, enforced community service. A decent landlord using it would pay the workers with food and drink during their shifts, often better than they'd usually get. Still not all that popular, because it often took serfs away from their land during important times, like seeding or harvests.

Ah, double standards. An Orange Lantern's best friend, after their ring. He got pissed at Fate because Zatara was his, in a second-hand sort of connection... The locals? He doesn't know any of them, and poking his nose in would probably piss off the Thanagarians.

o_O So it's okay because they're getting a good deal out of it... Not sure the logic stands up to close examination, but, hey, it's OL. :rolleyes: Logic doesn't really enter into it.

Ungarans, by the by, are Abin Sur's people. Xudarians are Tomar-Re and Tomar-Tu's race. Neither are particularly into the conquest thing.

Yes. In more than a few Elseworlds, they did. Good thing for us they didn't notice Humanity.

Which hews closer to more recent versions than some where Krypton was isolationist for generations. Still, Humanity is not particularly good at bowing its' collective knee without quite considerable force on our necks.

...How coincidental.

x3 So many layers to pick through in that little smile...

I think she meant in terms of protective gear. Just in case, you know?

So, formal military dress uniforms are not out-of-place as casual wear, huh? Then again, continuities vary on what the formal dress uniform looks like. Anything from classic pulp sci-fi jumpsuits to heavy formal robes to 'putting on the Reich'...

I'm guessing it's either very overblown, very silly-looking or both.

...Oh god, espionage double-talk. Let's hope it doesn't get all 'Dune inner monologue' in here... Seriously, the book was laden with that kind of over-analytical reflection...

Please, stop know before you slip into a comedy routine...

Third Base! :V

Does OL even still have any Construct Lanterns right now? Ones he'd want to show off, anyway?

It's not a break form the Ring, after all, just 'work'.

I rather expect they weigh a little more than a duck. Nor are nearly so elegant in the water as a swan (on the surface, anyway.) :p

Right answer, OL. Ah, Empathic visions, allowing you to cheat at relationship questions.

Not quite Tamaranean hot, but still... Her Red Lantern version certainly fills out that classic leotard in all the right places.

Kind of rude to expect him to carry her around everywhere. She certainly wouldn't want to be that reliant on someone else, after all.

...So, basically a bikini, with decoration.

At least she's smart enough to try and butter Jade up. I don't doubt Jade's read up on Thanagarian postural intricacies and their meanings.

He's been busy. There's a war on, you know?

At least he's polite about it.

...Ah. Good timing, then.

Well, off to a good start. Running and hiding from the overbearing mother. Sucker's bet that Bleez is very glad for the escape route. I guess we'll see tomorrow how the ladies get on together. Though now I have the amusing image of Bleez, OL and Jade zooming along, a flotilla of bodyguards trying to keep up while the trio try to ditch them. Unlikely we'd see that, but still...

27. Old Knife

Fear leads to Hate indeed.:V

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, Paul may seem like a Vulcan sometimes, but he's really not.

He tends to fail a lot of basic logic skills that no self-respecting Vulcan would ever do.

Ehh, a few generations in a century is basically the norm.

And Kryptonians would have a lot of force.

The first movie made it worse.

Well he has 666 Nabu and Morrow, both on Earth, and I think he may have that fish guy that the Ophidian assimilated.

Not a lot of things are attractive on that level

I'm reminded of the JL episode with Diana and that princess.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

There're also the Reach thralls.

30. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I know there is subtext here but I don't know anywhere enough about the British Empire to know what.

Cuchulin likes this.