1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Dun Dun Duuuuuun!

ChestBurster and quietwhile like this.
  2. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

I think it's more about people with power rings being compromised working for outside forces like the Guardians or Controllers usually. Thanagar is a space empire. They probably have tech and tactics to deal with a rogue ring bearer. They just haven't had to deal with one. Paul us probably their most consistent contact with a power ring. Maybe Thanagarian high command wargamed fighting him, but given Paul is a peaceful visitor they're trying Bleez with a sexy friendly face.

3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That almost makes me wish that Paul will have to fight the Thanagarian Empire in the future, and then demonstrates more high level Emotional Spectrum manipulation abilities.

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

”No work.”

An oddly relaxed exampled of ‘Damn you muscle memory!’

Always good to have clear communication.

That ended the moment you started hacking the monitoring systems and talking about what people Want.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, the Thanagarians probably have anti-Lantern tech that they can use.

I also think Paul once mentioned that they apparently hire pirates to fight Lanterns to see their capabilities, and that Paul's fight with those cultists was some kind of test, so wargames did kinda happen.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. quietwhile

quietwhile Getting out there.

I disagree. The dehumanization implicit in slavery damages a society and both sides of the whip in irreparable ways. It might be good for building infrastructure I guess? If for some reason you care only for that metric. But beneficial for a people in general? That's way too much imperialist bullshit for my taste, it sounds like someone typed this from another century.

ChestBurster, Vorian, kerleth and 4 others like this.
  7. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

To paraphrase Dalinar Kholin, ring-bearers can't hold ground. A smart, practiced Orange Lantern could fight off a strong navy, probably, but the minute their back is turned or they have to attack somewhere else, the territory will get snapped up again. And Thanagar has definitely wargamed 'fight a Green Lantern' extensively and probably has specifically wargamed 'fight Paul' since the Seven Devil cult incident.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

The semicolon should either be a comma or a colon.

It highly depends on what metric you're evaluating, what cultural mores you're assuming, and what the rest of the contemporary society is like. It also highly depends on the nature of the slavery -- historically in many cultures it was actually BETTER to be a slave than to be a pauper. If commoners are already being dehumanized, then being the property of a rich person might give you more protections, because a noble might think nothing of killing a peasant because it was convenient but they would think twice about damaging the possessions of another noble. And since a slave is an investment, a wise master would strive to protect that investment, making sure the slave is well-fed and well-rested, as a hungry, exhausted slave isn't as useful.

It should be telling that some people would choose to sell themselves into slavery.

That's not to say that slavery is good. The kind of horrors that modern society sees in slavery stem from the use of slavery as a form of industrialization, with slaves that are replaceable commodities instead of expensive assets. When it's more efficient to buy dozens of slaves and throw out the ones that aren't good enough, that drives an increase in capturing people to sell as slaves, which makes it easier to buy more slaves, which makes those terrible practices more efficient... That's the vicious spiral that industrialized, imperialist slavery caused. And of course it would be better if the societies that practiced non-industrial slavery would instead provide the same kind of welfare for their servants without restricting their freedoms or treating them as property. But it isn't automatically the unalloyed, unmitigable evil that modern society makes it out to be.

9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

10. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

Describing it as them "choosing" to sell themselves into slavery is a bit inaccurate imo. Being forced by circumstances is hardly a real choice.

ChestBurster, Deadring and quietwhile like this.
  11. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

I'm sure there there were choices. It was probably something along the lines of letting them and their family starve to death, risking it with banditry, or going into slavery. Or maybe come up with a one in a million clever scheme. None of those were good choices, but they were all real options.

ChestBurster, Vorian, kerleth and 3 others like this.
  12. quietwhile

quietwhile Getting out there.

Quite. Also, those were all (fringe) individual examples which I intentionally didn't comment on because Mr Zoat started by admitting that individually at least slavery isn't generally a good thing (altho he went on to like the reply so idk).

I was specifically talking about the idea that being enslaved was good to a people, which is so ludicrous I was half expecting someone to point out to me that I had misunderstood.

Edit: right color for hope.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  13. KyleDaScourge

KyleDaScourge Getting sticky.

So, working my way through a reread of the story, and I've got a question concerning Hades...

What does he get out of accepting the alien dead into his realm? Judging by how we're told hell works, and the way that he has to hook shades into titan magic to bring them up to full awareness... It seems like this is decidedly not one of those settings where a soul is potentially a source of unlimited energy which arcane lifeforms desire, in fact it sounds like each shade is a net-drain on resources given that they need external energy to be self aware.

So he's doing a lot of work (judging billions of souls, reactivating the full bureaucracy of death, etc) and spending a lot of power (even if it's not strictly speaking his power) for...?

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He seems to take pride in his work, so the opportunity to induct more dead to his realm pleases him.

ChestBurster, preier and Cuchulin like this.
  15. Threadmarks: Warhighway (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

22nd Jahrdrung 2512
    Midday

Gaius Gracchus Lupo gulps as he begins to take in the scale of the work being undertaken before him in the blazing Nehekharan heat.

Literal legions of Lybaras's skeleton labourers dig at the dead soil under the direction of whip-armed Necrotects, a handful of Tomb Princes standing watch to ensure that their queen's will is being properly made manifest. Huge animated statues pick up the largest buried stones and haul them out of the way, while merely large statues work at the ground at the front of the digging corridor with huge picks.

Gaius looks towards the sea, just visible through the shimmering heat, where the artificial bay is lapped by sea water. Skeletons and constructs have no need to breathe and as such are perfectly quiescent when asked to dig under water. Then he turns and gazes inland, where he can just about see tiny shapes moving as they work under the personal direction of Chief Necrotect Ramhotep the Visionary to bore a hole through the World's Edge Mountains.

"We considered cutting through from the Sour Sea through the Marshes of Madness to the Black Gulf. It would be a shorter route, but there are a lot of Orcs in the area and draining the Marsh would be a pain. And the Gulf isn't easily navigable. But taking it from the Gulf of Fear to the Ash River and onto the Great Mortis River, we can create a passage directly into the Great Ocean."

"Do you.. have a.. map?"

He doesn't look at me, but rather keeps staring.

"I can do better than that." I take a globe out of subspace and spin it around so that the portion displaying Nehekhara is facing him. "See here?"

"How far is it?"

"About fifteen hundred miles in total. The bit we're digging now is about five hundred, and it won't be all that deep or wide to start with. In the end we want it to be navigable by galleons, but to start with it will just be open to barges."

He looks at the globe.

Then he looks at the work.

Then at the mountains.

Then at the globe.

"This is a little larger than the road between Luccini and Verezzo."

"Yes, but given your reaction, you're a good deal more mentally stable than the person doing this."

"I can't imagine the mind that could conceive of a work like this."

"Um, thank you?"

His eyes widen. "You designed this?"

"No, just the conception. The design of the canal is the work of Necrotect Ramhotep."

"He is one of the undead."

"Yes indeed. And not.. really one of the sane ones. Though High Queen Khalida says that he was the same when he was alive."

"But… How..?"

"Sentient Undead range from glorified automatons to beings who have essentially the same mental processes as the living. Sophont Tomb Kings and Queens sometimes fixate on the patterns of the lives they lived when they were alive, and those ones are not easy to deal with. Others aren't much different from living sovereigns. High Queen Khalida is aware of herself sufficiently well to grasp opportunities like this. Ah, but it's probably not something you should try without knowing your target very well first."

Gaius nods, tracing the route across the globe. "If this is successful, Luccini would be the first port that a ship would reach in the Old World."

"Unless the captain felt like trying to head directly for Los Cabos, certainly."

"They would have to contend with the pirates of Sartosa, though I suppose no more than they do so presently."

"I believe that it may be necessary to deal with Sartosa. Once the canal has finished and the shipping routes change."

He spins the globe anticlockwise, viewing the world to the west of Nehekhara.

"This is Ind and Cathay?" I nod. "This will make passage far easier and swifter. And avoid having to deal with the elves at the Fortress of Dawn. You are not at all concerned about what they will do about their sudden drop in revenue?"

"The wonderful thing about dealing with the undead: raiding their settlements doesn't really do much. There's not a lot there to burn, and even if you smash every skeleton to pieces all it means is a little extra work for the Liche Priests." I shrug. "Should it prove necessary, I'll discuss the subject diplomatically above the level of whatever prince is running the place. I'd be astonished if elven vessels didn't end up using this canal as well."

"Queen Khalida's city is Lybaras?" I nod. "Near the western entrance. This will make her a very rich woman. Assuming that she cares for such things."

"She very much does. She also hopes that engaging with the wider world will aid in the mental recovery of her contemporaries. Or at least attract the foreign expertise that might be required to fix their problems."

"They… Seem to be managing well enough."

"Their priest told them that they would rise as golden demigods, and Nagash the Black made them rise as wizened corpses. They want to upgrade."

Gaius looks directly at me, and he appears to have calmed down a little.

"Is that possible?"

"Nothing is possible until someone does it. Who would have believed that a man could fly by strapping bed sheets to his back and flapping them with his legs before Daddallo did it?"

"I have seen him do it and I am not certain that I believe it." He nods. "But I understand what you mean. I cannot deny that the undead here are clearly working towards this goal, so I suppose that it does not matter whether it is ultimately possible or not so long as they believe that it is."

"So are you prepared to accept my commission?"

"I would feel somewhat foolish if I saw all of this and still did not accept. You do not mind if I inform my father about the additional shipping we can expect?"

"If it was a problem, I wouldn't have told you. Once we establish a working relationship, I will naturally be sharing more information with Luccini. A few years should be enough time for the construction of a few new docks, shouldn't it?"

"Yes, though I think -for the good of the city- it will need to be managed by someone else while I occupy myself with teaching Reikland peasants how to lay paving stones."

"Not just Reikland. The network is-."

"Yes, yes. But this is the Emperor's commission first. The peasants who I teach will be the foremen when the work expands into other Provinces. Reiklanders are not unfond of prestige. I will need to look at where stone can be quarried, and what carters might be hired…"

I nod. "I believe that the Emperor has scribes who can lay their hands on that information. You've seen enough, then?"

He nods slowly, once more looking over the diggings. "I believe that I will take what I have seen here to my grave."

"Would you like to meet the Queen before we leave?"

"Will she meet with me?"

"Probably. You're socially the equivalent of one of their princes, though I'm afraid that we're both barbarians in their eyes. Allow me to check. Back shortly."

I fly at speed, passing over the immense project area to the observation point where High Queen Khalida waits with her court. Where they've been waiting for weeks, unmoving, acting only when something actually requires their attention.

Prince Ahmose stares at me for a moment as I appear, then returns to his 'at rest' pose. High Queen Khalida on the other hand actually rises to greet me as I bow.

"Ambassador. Your archeotech has accepted the commission."

"Indeed, majesty. If you are willing, he would like to meet you before travelling to the Reikland to begin his work."

She walks closer, stopping within arm's reach in a way that is causing a slightly uncomfortable shift in the stance of her guards. They know her will but they don't adapt well to change.

"I am. First, however, you have a duty here." She reaches up and pulls off her restored mask, revealing the living but unfeeling flesh behind it, enchanted eyes gazing into mine.

"And I would hate to be delinquent." I lean forward to kiss her. "Khali."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  16. Mr Zoat

Basically. It also adds variety, and is a sign that other people think that he's doing a good job.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'if elven'

18. ungodlyone

ungodlyone Getting sticky.

I know next to nothing about the non 40k warhammer, but this inspires a great deal of worry.

19. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

So...I guess that political marriage thing happened after all.....

The coming comments should be fun.

20. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Guess she has a thing for barbarians.

21. KyleDaScourge

KyleDaScourge Getting sticky.

Hmmm... his first meeting with Khalida featured using the ring to transmute a living body around one of her handmaidens as a demonstration of a potential route to eventual golden demigodhood. The actual result was a mindless skeleton with a living but essentially brain-dead body. Then he asked to marry Khalida, who has apparently accepted and gotten herself a similar flesh body since that time.

22. NameOrdane

NameOrdane Lurker: The Socially Awkward

Hmm, no Violet yet. Guess it's gonna take more time for that relationship to deepen.

23. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out. Actually I don't think Fantasy Paul's had any violet with Aranei either, but can't say for sure. (out of curiosity, does anyone remember the first time Paragon-Jade had violet speech for Paul?)

IIRC, Word of Zoat indicated that he was actually just enquiring if she was available to marry for general diplomatic purposes rather than the specific goal of marrying her himself, though of course the framing of that both in-universe (with Paul's romantic denseness) and out-of-universe (ending the chapter with that question) does strongly give the impression that he was asking for himself.

I'm interested in the social statuses of Aranei and Khalida in Paul's life, in multiple ways; how he views them in relation to himself, how they view each other in relation to him, and what any outside party (who knows about them) thinks of the dynamic. The closest polyamorous relationship we got (that wasn't a Mercy dream) was Mandated Paul with Jade and Jade, and there he wanted them to be in relationships with each other as well. Being enmeshed Warhammer politics and general changes due to the setting and simple passage of time might mean that Fantasy Paul is fine if his prospective partners aren't in relationships with each other, but presumably he'd be open to them having additional partners of their own.

I'd guess Khalida would view Aranei as a royal concubine-equivalent, while Aranei would be competitive but also conditioned to accept the idea of Paul (a strong warlord in her eyes) having multiple partners, and wouldn't rock the boat because Khalida is politically (and personally?) more powerful than her- she'd view Paul's apparently equal treatment of both of them as the oddity, if anything. Admittedly this is based on superficial impressions and speculation on the nature of Ancient Nehekharan and Druchii social norms and how Paul would deal with the situation.

I suppose there's no Paul who actually ended up in the Avatar: the Last Airbender universe and wasn't just future-Paragon, but I'd assume if there was one, he'd get together with Azula and internally reform the Fire Nation or whatever. I don't typically think of With This Ring as wish fulfillment the way that SI-stories are stereotyped to be, but at this point the list of all the prominent fictional women the Pauls have been with is getting pretty long. Kind of want to see them all hanging out at a multiversal meetup or something.

24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yes, manpower is not an issue, when your 'men' are unthinking, unfeeling automata who feel no tiredness or boredom. The only significant issue will be remembering to tell them to stop digging. Otherwise, they may well dig a canal all the way to the Imperial City of Cathay. :D

And if any Skaven or Goblins happen to take issue with that, there's a big orange boot ready to step on them...

Yes, it is quite the project. Well deserving of the term Titanic.

A sight rare to any upon the world. The joy of medieval levels of technology. It means medieval levels of cartography.

For reference, that's wider then the entire Empire (Which covers most of the Europe equivalent.) In our world, that's the distance from Miami, Florida to New Hampshire.

Yes, that is as far as you think it is.

Amazing how far you can see in a nice, flat land like Nehekhara.

A Tomb King? A Sigmarite Flagellant is saner than him. But at least they can be directed, I hope.

To be fair, Paol probably conceived of it while observing from near-orbital altitudes.

...So, expect plenty of Nehekharan statuary, which may or may not also serve as security guards?

...That is not all that reassuring. It just means that now he can actually produce some of his madder designs.

Indeed. If you're lucky, you'll merely be killed quickly. If they really don't like you, then the flesh-eating beetles get involved.

That would be in Estalia, their version of the Iberian Peninsula. That is, Spain and Portugal. Largely ignored in the stories of the setting outside of its interactions with Bretonnia.

For reference, that's basically Sicily in terms of geographical placement.

Elves are dicks, yes. This is common knowledge throughout the Old World. No doubt they demand a payment for safe passage past the equivalent of the Cape of Good Hope.

It's good to see friends get ahead.

As long as it doesn't get the attention of Nagash, Lord of Undeath. You know, the person who got the ancient rulers of Khemri into this state.

Yes, dealing with this sort of thing isn't good for the sanity of mere mortal men...

And yes, they actually existed in the tabletop game. You can see the mad models at the bottom of that wiki entry. Usually used as disposable flanking skirmishers by most players, since they were fast cavalry with flight...

Think about it, Gaius. Your name will be remembered for as long as men keep histories...

And there's going to be quite a few merchant guilds in the region with coin-shaped eyes and big grins once they hear about this.

Consider Reikland the test-bed. Your prototyping station.

He's certainly got the Imperials pegged well. :D

Heh. So many ways to take that statement of Gaius'.

So, best behaviour, then.

Oh, my! Now that's quite the response. She's likely greet the Emperor of the Reiksland while remaining seated...

Heh. I'll bet they don't. Hard to rewire patterns of necromantic energies that have run in their course for millennia...

...And there's the Grim Dark. Now I see why she rose to meet him as an equal.

Well, then. The largest engineering project in the entire Old World (The Great Old One's polar gates don't count!) has begun. And yet another Paul has a reformed bad girl for a love interest. At least the flesh is living (and presumably kept that way by occasional treatments by Paol's ring...) And I rather imagine more than a few Powers are having fits at all this.

...actually rises to greet me as I bow.

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

How exactly is Paol being in a relationship with the High Queen an example of Grim Dark? I ask because I don't really know Warhammer lore.

Ardy, Caerwen, ChestBurster and 2 others like this.
  26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, she is still an animate skeleton coursing with necromantic energies more or less wearing human flesh, no matter how living it is. I don't know about you, but that's just a bit creepy to me...

And you'll note he described it as unfeeling? She can't feel any damage the fleshy bits suffer in the course of a typical day. That's... Pretty dark. Think about the little knocks and bumps you experience without noticing, just walking about. Never mind if she spends all day sitting upon her throne... Amusingly, she could probably be thankful she can't feel the pin and needles.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Why do you assume she's reformed instead of just playing him?

After all... She doesn't have a soul...

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Who said they were married?
    Foreign concubines are a status symbol.

Sure, that's... Usually for kings rather than queens, but who's going to argue?
    That's a little unfair.
    Thank you, corrected.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, no, it's very fair.

Jaron, ChestBurster, kerleth and 3 others like this.
  30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

So they're friends with benefits? Or engaged?

Doccer likes this.