1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

This is a really good time for 40k Paul (Paol?) to fall out of a portal.

2. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

OMG, YES!

3. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think this update is the most I've liked Paragon and Jade's relationship. There've been other nice ones like when he picked her up from prison, and the drama post-accidentally going to Hell had a lot of pathos, but this update showcases their not immediately apparent similarities as people whose jobs and 'lives' are tied together so strongly that distinguishing between them isn't even an accurate action.

If this gets all the Darkstars to adopt Space Marine and Sisters of Battle aesthetics, that could be fun (though I like non-human factions better as a default- what's the closest DC has to Eldar/space elves?). A ceremonial version for diplomatic functions, if nothing else. I'm not sure if the Imperium's Assassin aesthetics are actually functional enough for Darkstar uniforms.

4. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

The more I see of Paul's vacation, the more I get the feeling that the most exotic thing he could do is to just spend it sitting around, doing nothing of any importance or note, playing games or watching crappy TV. Maybe even doing chores or yardwork.

5. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I'd either focus more on reading "traditional" Fantasy (Medieval Fantasy, Swords and Sorcery stuff) or Historical Fiction if "trapped" in a comic book superhero universe.

6. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Paul: What is: Actual Torture?

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

No, you don't. So go learn first, then talk to her before you go blabbering off some 'apology' that she'd likely take as a new insult. Seriously, you need to do better on that front. ;) Perhaps this will prove a useful reminder to do so.

Ah, she knows him well.

That is one thing we do know is true. Even for the meetings we didn't get to see, I'm sure 'Orange Lantern's latest Thing' was a frequent topic of discussion.

A conscience is a painful thing, sometimes. But it's also what stops you from becoming another Larfleeze...

...Yeah, when you think about it, that's actually true. How often do we see OL go somewhere for a reason other than 'checking up on an asset' or on a mission for God N.E.M.O'?

And sometimes, that's what's needed to overcome the ingrained genre blindness of DC natives... But I bet it gets reeeeal tiring.

The downside of doing what you enjoy for a job: finding out that sometimes, you don't enjoy it as much.

And knowing OL, he really did have all of the appropriate piercings... Never does things by half, he does.

Sadly, that's still a thing. Not only in Warhammer circles, though. How many games have you seen add a new set of gear that's ludicrously stronger early on, then gets nerfed once a lot have paid for it?

Alas, Games Workshop is not known for being sensible in any universe. I bet it's the development team going all sour grapes that their pet army doesn't curbstomp have some edge over all others... :rolleyes:

For instance, what would you do on time off between Shadows missions, hmm?

...And ways to break it? That would probably be a focus given her typical missions.

Travelling? Or doing what she used to do for better reasons now?

Exploring strange new worlds, meeting new life, new civilisations? It's an old saw, sure, but it became that way because it's a good sentiment.

It's too ingrained to feel comfortable not doing. Everybody has things like that.

Why not start doing that again? It might help if you have something to help you remember what good you did for a place.

:D Now you live it. Fiction kinda pales before doing the things you used to read about, huh?

I remember a description something like 'having an encyclopedia turned into juice and poured into your skull'... Maybe not in this story, but the sentiment is probably applicable. Simply knowing something all of a sudden isn't as satisfying as doing it the slow way...

No, Jade, that hint might be just a bit too subtle for him...

Ooh, do I detect a hint of a deep-down fear of her own? Thoughts of what she might have become one day without someone to break her out of the League of Shadows mindset?

And at the end of the day, that's the best thing to be.

You need something entirely unlike what you do for work. Something that you can sink yourself into without being reminded of your day job...

I don't know... Wouldn't 'Warhammer: Fantasy Battles' be more pleasantly different to your day job?

Debuted 1987, in its earliest form, as Rogue Trader, more of an RPG-lite skirmish game... Which makes it 35 years old this year. In their time, it'd be in it's fifth edition.

Hmm... What army would she play, I wonder? Overwhelmingly powerful? Sneaky? Characterful? It's an odd statistic, but anecdotal evidence says most female players enjoy Tyranids, :confused: for some reason...

:VHaha, yes. That's about the reaction I'd expect from an old grognard like OL who's been caught on the hop like that...

Just... Don't ask why all Space marines are male, all right? :rolleyes: It's just one of those things.

Yes, those are walking war machines taller than skyscrapers. For reference, a Gundam, at an average of 19m (59 feet, or 10 times a human's size) would be knee-high to that Warlord Titan. A jet fighter would be about the size of one gun.

...I knew exactly what pic that was before I clicked on it. And yes, I did see the models first... Because they're in focus and in the foreground. ;) The background, however, is quite pleasant too.

True, the setting of 40k has its appeals. Just consider all the pin-up art people have done over the years. :D

Well, then. At least it won't cost her an arm and a leg to acquire an army, what with OL's ability to provide figures and terrain at any scale and pose she wants. Seriously, if I had a Power Ring, :oops: that's one of the things I'd use it for... So, is the next couple of chapters (and pages of discussion) going to involve what army she'd likely pick? Because I'm up for that! :p

Perhaps 'I feel like...' or 'I'm like...' might flow better here?
    ... like a salesman displaying his wares...

8. Achillesaurus

Achillesaurus Making the rounds.

This is the first segment I've read in the whole story that actually sold me on Jade and Paragon Paul's relationship. Good show.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And I'm betting they all groan at that and someone brings out either booze or aspirin.

He even altered his body.

We will never forget TTS.

ChestBurster, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

My first army, also. The codex came out just as I was getting into it. A bad idea, as it turned out. Big lead models are not easy to assemble.
    It would, but it's deliberately wrong. He hasn't quote got his thoughts in order.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Or Astartes.

11. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

His?
    What?

12. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

Same man. If it was for TTS I would never have gotten into it. TTS did what 6 years of Nerd Osmosis couldn’t, make me a fan.

This chapter is reminding me of the one Episode of Big Bang. The Guys come back from a failed convention road trip and find all of their girlfriends are know super into superhero comics. They assume that they’ve gone into another dimension.

13. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Oh! It hasn’t been said for a while, but those future-humans that invaded Earth are a lot like Dark Eldar! Games Workshop in this setting could run a bunch of events about invading Drukhari strongholds and preparing invasions against their nonsense capital.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Most likely xeno players complaining about no new models so those factions get a buff from DW.

Or something about lore.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  15. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

I asked Zoat about that a few weeks ago, actually, and it isn't what happened.

Luthor was tempted, but was too worried about this being a sign that the SI was influencing his desires, so he declined. The SI's failure was giving a choice to a man suffering from paranoia. Renegade managed because he forced Luthor to work with him, and eventually Lex came to realise that his fears were unfounded.

16. Mr Zoat

The full word was going to be 'history', but he cut himself off.
    As in 'Get thee behind me, Satan'.

17. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

I mean, unlimited power Plus infinite life, a perfect body at a young age, it's easy enough to be jealous of the dude to begin with... But no, he has to have friends and women who are willing to talk to him and are nice to him and are actually really interested and potentially exploring relationships...

You know this is ignoring that side story where two lesbians try being bisexual for a while with the main character? I mean, I don't know about everybody else, but I was already super jealous when he had a girlfriend that was willing to spend time with him just cuddling. The fact that he has enough funding to not need a daily grinding life working for corporations that just don't give a shit... Well he actually has time to enjoy all the things he has.

Man, whatever. I think it's the side effect of his abilities that he keeps running into things that somehow block infinite power all the damn time. I could do whatever I want thanks to the orange power ring! Oh no orange power rangers don't work now for some reason on this particular guy!

The whole time I'm going, suck it up! You're going to somehow win by learning how to make cheesecake or something anyway, just enjoy being all powerful and don't complain about it.

18. Mr Zoat

Ah, cheescake. My greatest enemy.

When I was a small child, I was quite a fussy eater. I didn't eat eggs, I'd spend however long it took picking onion out of anything with onion in it, and I did not eat cheese. Not just the strong cheeses that the elder members of the family liked, but even the simple chedder that my younger sister liked. I could stomach it if I had to, but I would avoid it if I could.

My mother believed that I would grow out of it. So confident was she that she bet the princely sun of £5 that by... I think it was my 18th birthday -may have been 21st- I would be happy to consume cheese.

As the years past, my palet matured. Or perhaps deadened. I abandoned my vendetta against onions and became merely indifferent to eggs. But cheese? Milk's more plastic cousin? That I would not accept.

The day before my birthday, my mother made a chocolate cheesecake.

We had had cheesecakes before that, of course. Strange things, made with a packet mix that I can only hope was safe for human consumption. But this was the first time that actual cheese was involved. Not all that much, compared to the volume of chocolate and cream. But enough to lose me the wager.

As I handed her the money, my mother claimed that she had long since forgotten. I was simply in awe of her cunning.

19. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

How dare victory depend more on strategy, tactics, and working around the luck of the tice, as opposed to "do you own the currently OP stuff"?

20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The insanity's not worth it.

21. Doccer

Why would he be telling her to go away?

Xmaster3000 and Jaron like this.
  22. Empty

Empty Getting out there.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

ChestBurster and Ngamer11 like this.
  23. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Because the sexy ninja girl who wants to learn to play your niche nerd shit with you is obviously a succubus out to tempt you into losing your soul and not a real girl.

24. Doccer

Point.

25. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

This is the Justice League from the Unlimited cartoon right? Is this before or after Hawkgirl was revealed to be a secret agent working for Thangar?

Xmaster3000, ChestBurster and Doccer like this.
  26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It is the Unlimited era, so after.

27. Threadmarks: Workhorse (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

10th October 2012
    14:02 GMT

A native… Under butler? Shows us into Bleez's… Suite? Wing? Her part of the castle. The change in decoration from classical fastness to… Well, she's not a teenager so it's not a matter of all the walls being pink and covered in boy band posters, but there's a clear distinction between this part of the castle and the rest. High resolution photographs replace oil paintings, heavy antique frames replaced by minimalist glass sheets. The fittings also appear more like those I remember from Thanagar rather than the mock-period versions the rest of the castle uses. Music plays very quietly in the background as the under butler hands us off to Toroz, Bleez's personal attendant, who leads us through a lounge area and out onto a… Battlement? Landing pad?

"Hey guys!"

Bleez smiles and raises her right hand in greeting as we approach. She's sitting on a lounger, eating some sort of… I'm not sure if I should call it stew or muesli? There's a definite meat component, but it doesn't look like it's a large part of the mix.

"Good morning, Princess."

"Can't quit, can't get fired."

She waves her left wing at the other seats and we head over to them, Toroz returning to his mistress's side.

"Ah… You.. understand-."

She rolls her eyes as we sit down opposite her.

"I'm not going to need to go into hiding. If this goes wrong the people who suffer most will be everyone else. I'll just…" She shakes her head, looking away. "They'd probably send me off to one of the new colonies or something. Internal exile. I'll survive manual labour. The people living Downside won't survive the next epidemic."

"Disease?" Jade picks up a pastry that we have together identified as safe for the human palate, but does so without really looking at it and so makes it look like she's just picking up the thing closest to hand. "Wouldn't a major disease outbreak be dangerous to Upside?"

"Diseases don't usually jump species like that. I mean, most of the people Downside are lizarkons, and we're pretty different. But Upsiders get immunisation injections and bioboosters and… You know, good diets and sunlight, so it's not much of a problem for them if there's a Grey Moult outbreak or something. Upsiders don't-."

Her eyes dip for a moment.

"No, that's-. It's not that they don't care, but-."

"Out of sight, out of mind."

"More that they only care a tiny little bit. Some companies do have health programs for their Downsider employees, and they don't need to. And military service is open to anyone."

"Really?"

"Life isn't great in the alien auxiliary, but it's a living. And the thanagarians just have to meet the minimum physical performance thresholds."

"Disease-ridden, malnourished thanagarians."

"Not usually. Not malnourished. There's a reason why I'm talking about getting aliens out when getting thanagarians out would be a whole lot easier."

"Some are more equal than others."

Jade glances at me while Bleez looks confused.

"It's from a book, called Animal Farm. After a group of animals depose their farmer and take over, they enact a series of rules. One of them is, 'all animals are equal'. At the end, when the whole thing collapses into despotism, it gets amended to, 'all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others'." I shrug. "Everyone in Downside has it bad, but the thanagarians have opportunities that the others don't."

"And the Wingmen actually answer calls for help from thanagarians. Since a lot of the thanagarians on patrol come from there." Bleez takes another spoonful of stewsli and sniffs it appreciatively before putting it into her mouth. "Wuxwileries do't get postred-" She swallows. "-there. They get sent out to do frontal assaults, and garrison stuff anywhere the locals will see them as Empire soldiers and not possible allies."

"And on other planets?"

"We've got, like, three lizarkons on Havania. Two of them are servants of some merchant from Thanagar and the other one's their son. There are laws about where they can move, but… The government's opening up the new colonies to honourably discharged auxiliaries."

"Is that a new thing?"

"New since they actually sorted out a policy. I think the announcement was three years ago..? With planets without Nth metal, it's easier to settle them with lizarkons than thanagarians."

"Won't that cause problems later on?"

"They get to lord it over the locals we took the world from and the military governors get to play both groups against each other."

"Like Mars all over again. Some Greens were arseholes to the White and some weren't, but no one questioned the Reds."

Bleez nods. "Least it's not just Thanagar."

"Good for you, less good for me."

"Why?"

"He wants to fix the galaxy, then the rest of the universe. Then…" Jade shrugs. "Move onto other universes, again?"

"No, of course not. By the time I'd reach the end of this universe the bit I'd started with would have started going wrong again. It's an endless struggle if you choose to see it that way. No matter how long I live I'll always have something to do."

Bleez frowns. "How long do humans live?"

"Eighty or ninety years. The oldest normal woman died at a hundred and twenty two."

"But-."

"But outliers like Vandal Savage-"

"Vandar Adg."

"-and-." She frowns curiously. "Really?"

I place my right hand over my heart.

"'Vandar Adg' and Nommo Balewa live for hundreds of thousands of years. It can happen. How long are you going to live?"

I raise my rings. "As with everything else…"

"Hm." She turns her attention to Bleez. "How did it go last night?"

"People were listening. Convincing people to change isn't easy, but they know that the expanded colonisation effort is going to change things. They're willing to give my ideas a shot. Not because they're believers in the fundamental worth of individuals or anything like that, but they were up for expanding the workforce."

"Is Ambassador Klus being here going to be a problem?"

"It isn't going to be a secret for long. I don't like him being here because he might do something to discourage people, but him knowing about it a little early doesn't matter if he has to keep tabs on you the whole time."

"Then… Perhaps we should do some sightseeing on Thanagar itself?"

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  28. JangGun

JangGun Making the rounds.

wow. This is the 1,111 chapter of this story

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'they enact'

Except you kinda will do that.

Unless you actually created a permanently successful system or left competent people in charge to manage things while you hop universes.

Ahh, Paul, always so pedantic.

I foresee the Seven Devils rising.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.