1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

Who said that and why?
    A suspicious word.
    Edit: also "do't", lol.
    I wonder if those "alien auxiliaries" even can contact their families at all.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Given the aerial capabilities of Thanagarian soldiers, it may well be both. I expect anti-air guns are a standard part of the castle's defences... At any rate, good to see she's modernised her little corner of paradise. Bet it torques her mother right off...

Hmm... Wonder what she'd make of Warhammer 40,000. Think she'd play Eldar or Tau?

Ah, the friendly teasing banter. You just know they bonded nicely on their shopping trip.

Sure it's fine to talk in front if the little guy?

:confused: ...Wait, did something happen between chapters or are they just talking about the whole 'compassionate relocation' plan?

'Grey Moult', huh. I can imagine exactly what that involves for a reptilian race.

They can't be effed to do anything more than donate to charities or the like. Hard to overcome institutionalised discrimination...

Sure. But I bet it's real hard to qualify, unless they need warm bodies to throw at the enemy.

Yes, there's a good recruiting slogan: "At least it's better than living Downside." :p

Much less need, eh? Interesting that she talks about her race's fellow denizens of their homeworld like that. 'Aliens', huh?

Heh. One of the best exports Humanity can offer: Fiction.

Thus stripping them of any possible support base for rebellion, huh?

I expect that's a biological thing. Lizarkons don't need Nth metal to reproduce, do they?

Ypu, thought so. I assume there's still subtle methods used to ensure loyalty, though.

A tale as old as time. There's that subtle control, too. Maintain divisions so that they don't gang up on the much smaller third party.

Discrimination and inequality are universal, alas. No matter how some would wish otherwise.

Well, we know he does go and do that eventually. Maybe it's a working holiday for him. :D

Not as long as we'd like. Another thing for OL to look at 'fixing' someday...

Now, when you get into the abnormal folks, things get more impressive. Silly, even, in some cases. Born in the fourteenth century or so, still going strong when last seen in the Sandman series.

Yes, that may be his birth name, but it's damn hard to pronounce.

You're lucky she likes you too much to Gibbs-slap you.

As for Jade, well... Would he stand by if she didn't want immortality?

Ah, the best motivator for people with a deficit of compassion: Profit.

Upside or Downside? Or maybe a little of both?

Yes, that'll set the cat amongst the pigeons... I can imagine Bleez's the intelligence service bosses sweating in their seats already, wondering what'll explode this time. And if word should happen to spread amongst the disenfranchised who will benefit most from this, well... Thanagar was starting to get a little stagnant anyway. :p

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Vril Dox is going to kill him for this...

Ngamer11 likes this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That may not be the case here.

During the Manga Khan incident, Paul told the UN that cultural items, like art, books and other such things, aren't really sold on the market due to the fact that different races would have different standards of art and some of the subject matter may be incomprehensible to some species.

Though the 4th season did it.

5. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

On the other hand, various works of fiction will likely appeal to various species given the very wide variety humans have to offer and the wide variety of often monocultural alien species out there. Many of which are quite humanoid like Ol'Lefty's people.

ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  6. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The 4th season also made him a much more nuanced and interesting villain then the two dimensional version here.

7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Eleventy-eleventy-one! A speech! A speech!

8. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

should that be "eating some sort of"?
    then -> the

9. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Reference acknowledged. Nice catch.

ChestBurster and RichardWhereat like this.
  10. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Vandal Savage: "I want to sink the capital of my magitech empire in order to activate the metagenes of the residents and enable them to survive under water so that they will conquer the oceans in my name!"

Klarion: "Neat idea, but we can dream bigger."

Klarion: *sinks the entire continent instead*

Vandal Savage: "More than I intended, but I see fish people which means it worked~"

*years later*

Vandal Savage: "Man, it sure does suck that my generals don't obey me as a living god."

Klarion: "'Sup best buddy, how's it hanging?"

Vandal Savage: "Perfect timing! I need you to get me a threat big enough to force them to obey me again!"

Nabu: "Dad, that's a really horrible idea."

Vandal Savage: "Not now boy, I have plans!"

Klarion: "And I have a star fish!"

Klarion: *summons Starro*

Starro: *overruns and nearly destroys Savage's empire*

Nabu: *fucking dies*

All Season 4 has done is proven that Vandal Savage has always been a supervillain and has been sharing a braincell with Klarion for 50,000 years.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Bleez, who as Crown Princess can't quit or get fired.
    Her mouth was full.
    It's not Detroit! It's not Detroit!
    Not really. He lives in a setting where everyone has bargain basement immortality in the form of souls, and anyone who wants to put the effort in can already live indefinitely. It doesn't really need a top down solution.
    Bleez doesn't really have bosses in the usual sense.
    Thank you, corrected.

12. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

Please never change, Paul.
    (I'm talking to both the SI and Zoat, here)

"than"

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. Brainwasher-Boy

Brainwasher-Boy Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

Ambassador Klus, nervously joking: So, who's funeral is it?

Paul, looking him dead in the eyes: I haven't decided yet.

15. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I suspect that ParaPaul wouldn't say that unless he was very angry, because even as alien as his mind has gotten, he'd know that they'd take him seriously. Grayven, on the other hand, would say that just to be a troll.

Vorian, Cuchulin, Istaran and 4 others like this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No matter how intelligent he may seem and how sophisticated he becomes, Vandal will always be just an up jumped caveman that never learns from his mistakes.

And that kinda makes sense given his immortality.

Think about it, with his immortality he faces virtually no consequences to his actions since he can always survive anything that befalls him, thus he does not need things like wisdom or good sense the way mortals would need it since if they make a mistake, they may never be able to fix it.

If they do something wrong then they can die, be injured beyond healing, or whatever they've built will be destroyed and they will not have enough life or time left to rebuild, so they need to approach situations with things like wisdom or intelligent thought because if they don't then they're finished.

Savage doesn't need any of this.

He can't die, he heals from virtually everything, and he doesn't age, so he can be as stupid as he likes because at the end, it won't affect him in a way that's impossible for him to recover from.

Meeting Klarion and Darkseid probably reinforced this since he managed to survive and even in a way gain control over these two godlike beings through making deals with them, so his ego, which would have already been enormous, has now skyrocketed.

Savage is a poster boy for why being ancient and immortal does not guarantee being wise.

Vorian, Lord Ernest, Cuchulin and 7 others like this.
  17. ChestBurster

ChestBurster Getting sticky.

Comparing the story's version of Vandal Savage and this guy brings me immense joy.

I haven't seen season 4 but I do know that this omake was funny and features one of my favorite line, *fucking dies* will always be hilarious to me. Thanks for the laugh.

18. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I've been halfway wondering if this arc will end with the Sinestro Corps attack on Havania. You know, the one that actually introduced Bleez in comics? We've had build-up that Sinestro has been up to something, looking for recruits, for a long time now.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  19. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

What now?
    Since when?

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Seven Devils were ancient Thanagarian gods that were eventually banished.

Given Paul's usual luck, I can't help but think that they'll single come back.

That was his original name.

He's had a lot of names over the millenia.

21. Mr Zoat

Sinestro is nowhere near ready for something like that.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I can't remember if you already answered this, but where does Match live in the Paragon timeline? He stays at Mount Justice in the Renegade timeline because he's a member of the Team. Was he also adopted by Diana in the Paragon timeline? If yes, does he stay at the Themysciran embassy, or is he living with the Kents instead as a second son due to Superman being more present in his life from early on?

23. Mr Zoat

I haven't thought about this in much depth. Probably.
    Yes.

24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Shows us

25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though he's probably staying with the Kent's.

Clark is more willing to be in his life but he let Diana adopt him since if he suddenly had a son then it would look very suspicious, but Match also needs some legal protection.

And he may be staying with the Kent's instead of say Clark's home since it would also be less suspicious.

ChestBurster, Doccer and Cuchulin like this.
  27. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

"When we reach da end of da whole world, we'll turn around and march back." (x)

ChestBurster likes this.
  28. Mr Zoat

I always preferred Morglum Necksnapper.

29. Threadmarks: Workhorse (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

13th October 2012
    09:56 GMT

"Every instinct I have is telling me that we're doing this wrong."

I shrug, ignoring the wingmen following us even as Jade tries to stare holes into them. Thanagarians aren't good at hiding their intentions, and our shadows either have no idea how to even try or they've been told not to bother.

"What, you've never been a distraction before?"

"Not exactly a high-status part of the job. But the distraction had something they-. Were…"

"Working.. on?"

She pulls her attention away from the wingmen and looks out across the valley below us.

"At least the view's nice. Those aren't thanagarian settlements, are they?"

I scan the organised fields lining either side of the river cutting its way through the landscape. "No. The towns have a small garrison, but otherwise it's almost entirely lizarkon."

"Are the thanagarians a minority on their own homeworld?"

"It's the lizarkon homeworld as well. The thanagarians like highly elevated places for their settlements, and… A lot of the smaller ones don't really have the sharp Upside/Downside divide that Thanaldar does. On the planet itself they slightly outnumber the lizarkons; the lizarkon areas are larger but have a relatively low population density. And… Then you've got the fact that thanagarians settle other worlds in this region, and occupy far more positions in the fleet…"

"They're not armed."

"Of course they're not armed. They don't even have that much in the way of machine tools."

There's a pause.

"Not going to say that it's inefficient?"

"It's obviously an inefficient way to farm. But that's not what this is about. It's about having an underclass to make them feel superior. They don't own the land, you know? It's rented."

"Not from a feudal lord."

"No, from the government. Or a government body, anyway. Darn, there's a Hitler quote about this-."

"About what?"

"Something about using pervasive instruments of state to erase other sources of identity. There aren't any lizarkon temples down there, or unsanctioned schools or anything that would promote or enable a resistance movement. Have you ever read Nineteen Eighty Four?"

"No."

I look at her, frowning. "Really? I'd have thought that something like that would be right up Ra's's street."

"Ra's was in charge of the entire League of Shadows. I only saw him a few times while I was training, and a few more when he gave me missions. Supervillains don’t generally read dystopian fiction for pleasure."

"Leonard said that Mark Mardon does." She frowns at the name. "Weather Wizard?"

"Generally. Either they're just trying to get rich, or they've already got an idea they want to achieve and don't need to read a book about it."

"Reading doesn't necessarily hurt with that. There was a man who actually tried a scam from Neil Gaiman's American Gods and got away with it."

"What was it?"

"He dressed up as a security guard, hung an 'out of order' sign on a cash deposit slot outside a bank and told anyone who came to deposit the week's takings that he'd been hired to take them because the slot was broken. They handed it over and he gave them a receipt, and he put it in a secure-looking portable safe. At the end of the night…"

She raises her eyebrows. "That worked?"

"In the book they got away with it because the person who did it lived off the grid and moved around a lot. When it was discovered there wasn't any way to track them. The real world version pulled off the first part. I don't know how long they evaded the law for."

"Wouldn't they just phone the bank?"

"In the book, the fake guard gave an official-looking business card to anyone who asked. They had someone posing as the manager of the security company on the other end to field enquiries." I shrug. "It wasn't foolproof, but if people wanted to check and they were given a number to check on, most of the time-."

"People just take the obvious option and wouldn't bother to double check. How much did he get?"

"I don't know. A week's cash takings for half the small businesses in a town, whatever that is."

"I half want to try it, to see if it would work. Do the thanagarians have deposit-?"

"Please don't."

She smiles as I shake my head. "What next?"

"Down the mountain, walk into town and make conversation with the locals. Make it look like I'm thinking about recruiting. With any luck, once they work it out they'll scramble to put their preferred recruits in places we're about to go to."

Jade picks up her pack and slips it on over her back.

"What would you do if you did find someone?"

"Not a lot. Unless they were so perfect that I absolutely had to recruit them, it's not worth disrupting Bleez's work."

There aren't great paths down into the valley. I think this one was made by the passage of lizarkons over the centuries; the main road goes out towards the sea and most actual transport is handled by aircraft that the lizarkons can't legally own. Still, compared to that time Dad and I went up Cadair Idris, where there's a path at the bottom and at the top and actual mountain climbing the middle and we didn't know that in advance, it's not exactly challenging.

"So. Ballroom dancing, war gaming and long countryside walks."

"We're managing to not work a little."

"Yeah. Here and there."

"Is this what it's going to be like?"

I slow my descent slightly. "What what's going to be like?"

"I haven't been in a relationship this long before. Now we've got nothing to do but spend time together, we keep having distractions anyway."

"Life's what happens while you're busy making other plans."

"True, but I was hoping for something-."

"You chose the Darkstars over an office job with the Power Company. You like working as much as I do. Once the Reach are pushed back, we… Heh. I don't know. I mean, I try to have a plan but I'm in the same boat as you are. We're never going to have nothing to do, but we don't have to be not not doing it twenty four seven."

"'Not not doing it'?"

"You phrase it better."

"We don't have to avoid work just because we could."

"Yes.""Well done."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  30. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

pack
    That's a neat trick!
    I'd have said: "Not on any planet where we are known or likely to cross again."
    Live a little Paul!

He'll you wanna spend time without work invading? Go contract up a yacht, sail out to the rings of [insert planet name here] then go fishing with her. Construct rods and everything. let the rings AI handle the fish generation.