1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    But while the 'when a man and a woman' thing was mansplaining as a joke, him saying 'Onimar Synn' wasn't.
    I don't remember. It was a very long time ago.

2. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

3. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

I looked on her fandom page. It says her alignment is bad.
    Was she canonically a good ruler or evil one? Like, did she deserve to be back stabbed?

4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In the comics, she was a warmonger out to conquer more territory, including attacking Rann.

I suspect the comics didn't go into much detail on how prosperous her subjects were, those not put into the meat grinder so she could expand her dominion anyway.

5. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  6. Threadmarks: Workhorse (part 23)
    Mr Zoat

15th October 2012
    17:02 GMT

Krandor Vat winced slightly, twitching his right wing as the muscles responsible for furling it didn't quite respond as they should. He took a moment to reflect that it was fortunate for him that Thanagar never quite adopted the sort of extreme warrior culture that some had called for. Dismissing a senior officer because they were no longer quite the brawler they'd been in their youth would have been the height of wastefulness, and politicians needed a strong arm even less.

If his mind ever weakened-. No. As things stood he'd be dead before that became a problem.

He could have come to Enndupar the moment the crisis was resolved, but… That would have served no purpose. Strong soldiers on patrol and ships in the air would calm and reassure better than a public appearance.

He glanced down at the part of his right wing still in his field of view.

Particularly these days. Besides, there wouldn't have been time for anyone to have learned anything. Far better to give the officers involved time to piece things together so that they could present him with a complete report. No matter how well disciplined, it was good for morale for officers to be allowed to succeed.

An attack by Seven Devil cultists, carried out against a major city. All hands would be raised against them now, Thanagar motivated to carry out a purge such as their forebears had never been able to carry out. No more fools or paupers drawn into their grasp. No matter how indolent or ill-disposed towards their own government, no one would want to align themselves with people who would carry out that sort of attack.

A chime, and he presses the button to allow his senior civil servants access to his office. Not as secure as the office in Thanaldar, but it wasn't as if he was staying for long. He would speak with the garrison commander and home guard captains later, to acknowledge their actions in preventing a catastrophe.

But first, the people who had created it.

Andar Pul comes in first, subtly applied makeup disguising how tired he was. For a moment the High Mor wonders if the man's conscience is keeping him up, but swiftly dismisses the idea. It's far more likely that the effort of ensuring that his agents get to where they are required to be requires constant attention and allows only irregular rest. Darl Klus is second, and seems far more ready for action. With the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps having departed and the Earth end of the operation mostly concluded, he didn't need to put in quite so many hours.

"High Mor." / "High Mor."

"Ambassador. Senior Analyst. Are things going according to plan?"

Pul looks awkward. "Not… Precisely. Most of the senior members of the Cult who aren't under our control are in our custody. Without Paran Dul or a reliable telepath our ability to interrogate them is limited, but our best predictions show that a near-complete cleanup of the cults is now within our grasp. But we underestimated the Darkstar. She may have deduced that things were other than as they appeared."

"What led to the underestimation?"

"Incomplete intelligence. Dul had no opportunity to study their current-generation exo-mantles in detail and only knew their approximate capacities. We prepared for improvements on the known suit types, but between the operative's skills and the exo-mantle's superlative performance that prediction was… Out. It also appears that she nonlethally disabled several of our insiders, who were unable to perform their roles quite as intended."

"Can she prove anything?"

"I don't believe so. But on both occasions the Illustres was quite clear that he is absolutely opposed to the reactivation of the Devils. It… Shouldn't be an issue now, but whether we are successful or not, we should never perform an operation of this type again."

Galling. But he wasn't wrong, and there was no sense in pretending otherwise.

"Ambassador."

"Operative Bleez is getting closer to him, but-."

Krandor Vat makes a dismissive gestures with his right hand. "It doesn't matter. At this point I would gladly let her take our untouchables merely to have them out of our way. Thanagarians should be driven to greatness by aspiration, not fear."

The Ambassador lowers his eyes for a moment in submission. It's not a completely unquestioned viewpoint, but the High Mor is resolute on that point.

"Then her work is going as desired, and it is highly probable that by monitoring her we will get notice of the Illustres's visits. As for our operatives on Earth…" A wing shrug. "They made an approach. The… Forge-God, Hephaestus, wasn't interested."

"Not unexpected. What did they learn?"

"We've known for some time that Earth is… Unusual with regard to magic. Hephaestus admitted that he wasn't sure how the arcane transmutation of Nth metal was possible at all. Some worlds are 'thaumically'-"

A human loan word. The closest equivalent in Quarish would be 'bloody' or 'cursed', and those aren't quite right.

"-active, and others aren't. Most, in fact. Despite being ruled by demons, Thanagar isn't."

"Can it be made so?"

"Not by any technique described in publically available literature. The god said that he didn't think it would be possible. When pressed, he opined that there might be fairly extreme measures that could cause a world to become active, but that he didn't think experimentation would be wise."

Pul looks unsettled. "Thanagar, High Mor?"

"Perhaps. Perhaps not. Thanagar is the centre of our people and culture. It would be easier to impress our nature upon it." Pul ducks his head slightly. "But you are right to consider the potential undesirable consequences. Nothing radical should be done without some measure of confidence that the outcome would be as we want. What worlds in this region are thaumically active?"

Klus shakes his head. "None, High Mor. None inside the Empire or amongst our neighbours. Aside from Alstair and Earth, the closest would be Alavorn."

A touch on a hologram projector and its distance from the borders of the Empire is immediately apparent.

"It would be possible to negotiate the use of part of their world, but with it being effectively impossible for us to annex it-."

"We will not place ourselves at the mercy of aliens, Ambassador." Vat's expression shifted to become even colder than normal. "Alliances of convenience may be considered, but not-. This."

"Yes, High Mor."

There's an awkward… Quiet for a moment, and Vat realised that he'd been too emphatic. Klus was too young to remember living through the Equalisation Plague. It wouldn't have the same significance for him. He wouldn't understand why they couldn't-.

He waves his right hand.

"Continue."

"There was… One other thing. Another.. Forge-God. Vulcan. He works with Hephaestus, but hasn't achieved the same degree of renown. He was apparently extremely interested in the Nth metal samples that Hol and Thal gave him. I doubt that he would be any more eager to come here than his compatriot, but if we needed assistance in piecing together the ritual, their report strongly implies that he would be willing to assist."

"If necessary. I remember that both the Illustres and our operatives have noted that humans are inefficient at taking advantage of the opportunities their technology affords them. Even with the reborn ancient able to instruct them, they've made no efforts to use Nth metal so far. If we must take a risk, I would rather take a risk on Earth than elsewhere. Senior Analyst, what did we learn about countering the Illustres?"

"The subspace interference matrix worked. He himself confirmed that he was unable to access his arsenal. Unfortunately, we weren't able to access it either."

"Why?"

"The physics of the system are beyond me. Some sort of.. locking technique, crystallising the boundary of the subspace pocket. Dul hasn't mentioned it, so I suspect that it's something that someone on Earth taught him. Our efforts to interfere with his constructs came to nothing; he held up the entire city while still remaining combat effective. Other Lanterns seldom go into combat with their weapons stored, so this knowledge would only be applicable during an ambush. A full report will.. take a few days more."

The High Mor nods. "We are close. So close, now. Continue with your work, and let me know the moment that this 'Vulcan' makes any progress."

"Thanagar soars."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yup.

What you need is a Hypervelocity Scry Wardeded Nth metal bullet, would pop his head like an over ripe melon.

8. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Thanagar as the next big antagonist? Sounds fun.

9. Korttihai

Korttihai Getting out there.

Those devious hawks :sneaky:

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I hope that Paul puts the fear of god in Thanagar when they finally make their move on Earth. Hopefully Hawkman and Hawkwoman won't completely hate Paul if he goes for the genocide option.

11. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

Earth is the madhouse of the universe

those hawk people ain't gonna have any fun time once they get there

12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Possibly not Thanagar in general, since he's already done that (Stars, Crossed), but apparently a conspiracy within (at the top of?) the Thanagarian government.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, past a certain point all you need is for your brain to be working.

Thinking positive thoughts there, Vat.

'glanced'

'disabled'

'highly probable'

'regards'

But Vulcan seems to know.

So Hell has a connection to the rest of the universe?

I remember Paul mentioning that some ways that magic could be used to travel to other wirkds would be through either the Dreaming or Hell.

Do aliens that die on worlds where Hell has a connection, but there's no gods from the Dreaming, automatically go to Hell?

Another person named Artemis.

One reason for that could be that they don't have a lot of the stuff in the first place, so they prefer to focus on things that can potentially be mass-produced.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think Paul would go that far, mostly because the Thanagarians aren't genetically evil like the Citadelians and Psions, so they can actually learn to be better.

Paul would probably damage their military to the point where they can't expand anymore, and dismantle their highest government levels, but not kill every single Thanagarian.

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I'm probably going to have the Seven Devils be more like C'tan than actual demons.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I just assumed that they were gods that came from the Dreaming and the "Devils" in their name was either an insult given to them by their enemies or something they used to show their nature as evil beings.

Though they do have great similarities with the C'tan.

Evil gods, gave their worshippers magical metal that defines their society etc.

17. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Looks like they haven't heard of the story of Icarus in all their reports on Hellenic deities. Or they dismissed it as humans naturally being doomed to fail in flight unlike Thanagarians, I guess.

Speaking of the lack of human initiative in using extra ore-dinary resources properly, did anyone in Thanagarian Intelligence or the Hawks think to look for other forge gods from other cultures? It may be unfeasible compared to approaching known and reachable figures like Heph and Vulcan have become during the arcane industrialization, but seems like something to consider.

I'm not fully sure if there's more going on than the Empire just trying to find a way to make their unobtainium Nth Metal to avoid scarcity and continue expansion, though that's reason enough for their actions.

Do they not know about Paragon coming back from the dead multiple times? Or are their anti-Lantern techniques they're testing on him just meant to apply to general anti-Lantern combat and not him specifically? They should at least know he's bonded to a cosmically powerful entity from their intelligence resources (I forget if Paragon did anything super-Ophidiany in his first visit to Thanagar).

I believe the Psions aren't shown to be genetically evil either, right? They're just a lot more effective with their cultural indoctrination methods. I don't know how Renegade and the Controller's rehabilitation and reeducation efforts are going.

18. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Also, I wonder if they realize that using that technique against him means that he, and possibly other Orange Lanterns (and maybe the Greens if anyone relays a report to the Guardians), are reasonably likely to be prepared for it if its used again.

19. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Just tell it to Hinon and she'll get it fixed. :V

20. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I believe Satanus and Ritchie Simpson were talking about the arcane arks to travel to other planets through their hells, yes, and Zoat brought up Kryptonian Hell and demons a long time ago with links to screenshots- there's of course the recent example of Earth-666 universe with the Kryptonian Demon, though that backstory and its interactions with that Earth's Hell hasn't really been followed up on.

I'd imagine if there were worlds with a connection to a Hell, they'd be thaumically active in some capacity and so likely produce alternate metaphysical afterlives too.

Is Horus totally unrelated to anything with the Thanagarians? I don't think he was brought up in relation to Khufu either. If they were ever shopping around for a friendlier hawk/avian-based deity (and one with ties to war and rulership, at that), he'd be a good pick (and might be more comfortable with having material avatars due to the pharoahs often being divine manifestations/representatives themselves, if that's true in this setting). Though the High Mor's anti-alien beliefs seem genuine enough to dismiss strategies like that.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Hawks may not have any idea of how to get in touch with any other forge gods.

No he didn't, but they may have gotten the footage of him during his Ophidian merger on Earth.

True, but just because a group can overcome the methods you are using to beat that group, that doesn’t mean you shouldn't use them while you can.

22. preier

preier I trust you know where the happy button is?

Is the second 'ed' a typo or an amusing way to say it's warded and warded again? ;)

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  23. Joelseph14

Joelseph14 Know what you're doing yet?

Damn that 200 year schedule of Thanagar's invasion getting pushed forward a bit huh?

24. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

This is very interesting since effectively it's all Paragon's fault. Because he's blocked the Reach from the region of Space where Earth is, made Nth Metal and Blocked Synn from weakening Thanagar so now we get thanagar agression towards Earth.

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm just throwing that possibility out there. Even if he doesn't go down the genocide route, Paul should do something to try and make sure they don't do something like that. Maybe somehow render the Nth metal in the primary offenders inert to demonstrate that he can and show that he can take away that which the thanagarian species thinks most important to their identity. Think of it, still having their wings, but forever bound to the ground, unable to fly ever again. That would be a great punishment for the people thinking themselves superior simply because they can fly.

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ooh, a little side-trip into the depths of the Thanagarian Intelligence Service, eh? More evidence that the cultist's little show was more than it seemed, no doubt. And an interesting thought: Would the kind of issue he's suffering be like a bum knee for a human, and about as awkward to move with?

And would seem like suspiciously quick timing. Any sane security force would have him and other politicians in secure lockdown for a couple of days, just in case of follow-up attacks.

Unless they're so inept that success would be unlikely even with all the chips on their side. Then it's time to dispose of them.

Ah, so it was an inside job, all right. I doubt the lot of them were all agents, but, like I suggested previously, a few good agents in the right place...

And now we get to meet those agents' bosses, eh?

Or he knows how to delegate better.

When OL is involved? When would they ever? OL is something you plan around, not for or against. Like a stage hazard in the Great Game of espionage.

A clean-up of anyone they don't already have in their pocket. Never know when a secret society fomenting unrest could be useful...

More importantly, would she feel the need to do anything with that proof? After all, I'm sure it would make great blackmail material at some point.

And for good reason. You got what you wanted. Better not to push your luck, since next time OL visits, he might not be in as helpful a mood.

Hmm... Now what do they think of her ideas, I wonder?

Ah, good, they're not opposed to the plan. Merely indifferent. A good way to get rid of potential disruptive elements, after all.

Probably got enough on his plate right now, for a start. I bet he's been popular amongst the engineering community for his metamaterial knowledge.

'Unusual', he says. The fellow has a way with understatement. But then, he probably takes the Hawks' reports with a spoonful of salt.

As Mr Zoat's Word of Zoat suggests, they're more like C'Tan, then. Beings of energy that can inhabit bodies of Nth metal as avatars, and have latched onto Thanagar like leeches.

Yeah, you never pull shit like that in your home biosphere, after all. Because whatever Hephaestus is thinking of, it's evidently rather hard on the scenery.

Which is not unexpected. We know magically active worlds are rare, after all. I bet there aren't a lot across the whole galaxy.

Woof, I can see that plan getting a hard 'no'.

Never has that old idiom been clearer: "In times of crisis, where wise men build bridges, foolish men build barriers..." (To paraphrase...)

Heh. Such is the burden of the old, eh? To remember the worst times, where the young have never known them...

Heh. Vulcan being a little hungrier for something new, eh? That could get him in trouble, someday, I bet.

Not the first time someone's dicked with his stash, after all. Remember the Sivana family visit?

Looks like OL at least took measures to keep his stuff more secure. Though I feel they're overestimating the average Orange Lantern, based on the greatest among them... Still, better to prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised, than the opposite.

I'd make a crack about flying too close to the sun, but he'd probably misinterpret it in some way.

Well, how enlightening. Possibly the worst kind of antagonist: A patriot with a cause he believes in. And not because of blind faith, but a rational estimation that his people could be better, and what he's doing is for their benefit. I'd say it'd be satisfying to see that kind of hubris laid low, but it's the sort of task that would result in a lot of suffering for people other than him alone. Perhaps we'll see it someday...

27. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

POP!

"We got him! The Illustres is dead!"

"Excellent work. Return and report-- what is that?"

"It appears to be a giant orange snake."

"YOU DUN GOOFED."

28. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

While I don't know how much Zoat will use of it, but in the comics Synn's power seems to be wholly focused on Nth metal- control over the four fundamental forces of the universe, even controlling Nth metal telekinetically, forming a giant body out of it.

Post flashpoint it's even effectively his digestive system, acting as storage for his stolen souls so he can consume more when he depletes his energy.

29. Mr Zoat

The militarists aren't really comfortable with the idea of gods or with their own ignorance. Those two are somewhat 'known', but any others wouldn't be.
    They mostly assume that he was only dead for a given value of dead.
    That's true in this story. I believe that in the comics the male psions are genetically evil, whatever that means.
    I don't know what this refers to.
    Not really. He knows from Truggs and their own behaviour that they'd be heading this way eventually even in the timeline he didn't exist in.

30. preier

preier I trust you know where the happy button is?

it was a rebound on Vaermina's post.

Cuchulin likes this.