1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm not sure of Lobo's mercenary code, but I'd say with Maltusian resources that Paragon should definitely have the technological edge. Hiring Lobo for stuff seems more like Renegade's MO; if he can deal with ponies, he can probably deal with all the powers that come with Lobo's (semi-) joke-character status.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

They said humans generally.
    NATO?
    The martians are working on that themselves. There isn't really any need for external observation.
    They already hired Mother of Mercy. Changing a biosphere shouldn't be a minimal participant activity if you want people to actually care about it.
    Swamp Thing is the champion of the Green. He's there to beat things up, not set policy.

3. Threadmarks: Vantavendi (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Vantavendi

20th October 2012
    09:23 GMT -6

"Oh." Leonard looks at me over the chain attaching his door to its frame. "It's you."

"Good morning, Leonard!"

He looks… Ah, hung over. Also suspicious, though that could just be the lasting effects of the alcohol and lack of sleep.

I hadn't taken it entirely seriously when Waller said that the Governor was minded to pardon the Beresfords, but it seems that she was right on the money. Several of the supervillains I was working with are out on licence already. If they had a record of good behaviour inside and a job lined up…

I cautiously extend a vial of healing potion towards the gap in the door.

"This should fix the hangover?"

Good behaviour, a job lined up, and probably took part in operations against the Sheeda. There isn't a Taskforce X -I checked that hard- but things were dicey enough worldwide that I can't really fault them for asking for volunteers. At least amongst the rehabilitatable prisoners. If I'd found out that they'd made a deal with Satanus then we'd be having words.

He extends his right hand through the gap and takes the vial before pulling it back to him. He removes the stopper with his left hand and lifts it to his nose, taking a cautious sniff.

"What is it?"

"Healing potion. KordTech are taking it through FDA approval, but the League already uses it."

"… Healing potion." He looks away for a moment, then tips his head back and downs the contents of the vial. Then he puts the stopper back on and stows it in his dressing gown pocket. "How long does it ouwh."

He blinks, suddenly looking more alert.

"Fuck me."

"I appreciate that you're grateful, but that won't be necessary."

"Fuck you." He blinks again. "That's good stuff. What's the problem with the FDA?"

"They don't have the skills to properly regulate magic. It's not even entirely clear that they have the authority to regulate magic. But plenty of companies are fighting over the rights to bring Sheeda technology products to market so there's a huge furore in Washington over who gets to do what, and the presidential election's coming up…"

"Fucking politicians."

"A politician got you out of Belle Reve several years early. It's a little ungrateful slandering his entire occupation."

I hear a masculine mutter from inside the apartment. Leonard's eyes move a little before refocusing on me.

"It's Louisiana. He can't be that useful. What took you so long, anyway? I was expecting you to be right outside the gates."

I shrug. "I was on holiday. First proper sustained period of inactivity since I arrived on this planet. And I honestly had no idea it was even in the works. If Ted Kord hadn't been on the ball, Kadabra would be rather narked with me right now, and with good reason."

"I bet it didn't take you two weeks to visit that cat girl."

"No, but she's got nicer tits than you.""So… Are you going to invite me in, or..?"

"I've got… Company over."

"And I can see emotions through walls." I cup my right hand against the side of my mouth. "Good morning Mister Harkness!"

"Uuuughfukoo."

"Ah." He reaches over and removes the chain. "You might as well come in, then."

Door open, he steps out for a moment and checks both directions before going back inside. I follow him in, the smell of smoke and alcohol-.

I sniff again.

"Is that bhang?"

Leonard freezes for a moment. "No."

"Good enough for me." I close the door behind me. "No problems accessing your accounts?"

"Not for long."

He leads the way into the living/dining room, where Mr. Harkness is lying on a settee with a pillow over his face.

"Hello again, Mister Harkness. How's life treating you?"

"I'll go to prison for an aspirin."

"I'm not sending you to prison. You're not important enough." I pull another vial out of one of my pouches and lay it between the beer cans on the probably-misnamed coffee table. "Hangover cure on the table."

Leonard looks from me to Mr. Harkness. "You met?"

"My first week here. I needed directions. My original costume was designed by Peter Gambi."

Mr. Harkness extends his right arm, knocking cans aside as his questing hand tries to find the vial without exposing his face to light.

"So, are you taking Ted's offer?"

"Don't know. Haven't decided."

"The terms of your parole do say-."

"I know."

"If you want to go into business for yourself I'm happy to invest or lend you the money, but now you're out… I am going to be paying you a certain amount of special attention. You're far too dangerous for me not to."

He looks mildly pleased by that comment, though he tries not to show it.

"How about the twins?"

"Already tearing their way through an old cargo ship and loving every minute of it."

He nods.

"I'll probably go with Kord. Can't see any reason not to. But right now I just want to enjoy being out."

"Fair enough. Oh." I smile. "Before I go, I thought I'd let you know that I've shown your work to a number of alien engineers and scientists from interstellar civilisations and they don’t have anything like it either."

"That right."

"So if you ever get bored of Earth, you've got a galaxy of worlds to choose from."

"I like Earth fine."

"Alright. I'll see you when you make a dec-"

Mr. Harkness sits up suddenly, empty tube flying across the room and his eyes staring! "Fucking Jesus!"

"-ision."

Leonard shrugs.

"Why? You got somewhere you need to be?"

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  4. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And probably working for a Suicide Squad.

Ahh, so no Squad.

They may have been tempted, seeing as he's a powerful magic user and the Sheeda use magic.

You're not really his type, Snart.

You're more of an angry adult with issues.

Paul likes angry teenage boys with issues.

I know how this sounds, but it's true.

'ball, Kadabra'

'removes'

Liquid pot?

The world is a strange and beautiful place.

'lay it'

6. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Not the original poster nor do I play them on TV, but I believe NEMO was what was meant there.

8. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

"Is". Singular vs Plural.

ChestBurster and Assblaster5000 like this.
  9. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

So were Captain Boomerang and Captain Cold just getting wasted to celebrate Cold's release or is this just something they do?

10. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Autocorrect.
    You didn't answer if they could or couldn't activate Thanagar's Thaumasphere?

Did Paul swing back around to give Bleez a ring?
    And now he's in a happy committed relationship with excellent sex with her so good luck making him feel guilty Mr. Jelly.

No I think that's correct.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, holiday's over, back to work it is. And first on the list: Checking in on certain persons of interest, eh? Presumably he's out legally, since I doubt he'd want to fuck up his chances at a clean parole by making an escape attempt.

Probably far too early in the morning for cheerfulness, as far as he's concerned. Even if it is nearly lunchtime.

Unfortunately, outside of OL, how many options do they have? I can't help but think one or two might be thinking 'railroading' about his offers...

I suppose fighting to protect others would provide a good reference of character for a pardon. Wonder if any simply used the opportunity to duck out and flee?

Your new best friend, Lenny. :D Drink up, and feel the sunshine.

Huh, healing potions will fix hangovers? Well, I suppose they can be considered a harmful medical condition (altered chemical balances and dehydration, among other things.)

Sorry, OL's taken.

Well, can you imagine trying to list the 'active ingredients' in something that does its' thing by magic?

Hey, it's not unreasonable that they might be genuinely concerned what the potions actually do to people. I mean, a mystical supervillian could easily make a version that adds a mind-control effect.

...Oh, I know that's not a date. So, Lenny, who'd you go drinking with last night?

Oh, I bet he would. All those promises he made, and... Whoops, he's not in the office when Kadabra gets out of the pen. That could lead to some hurt feelings, all right.

Cheetah? Well, an alternate of him is dating a version of her. And OL knows that, if he asked that Clayface about it. But OL's interest is probably purely professional.

Ah, Digger 'Captain Boomerang' Harkness. Probably pardoned on the same deal (assuming he was in jail,) and celebrating their newfound freedom with a proper old piss-up, then.

To be fair, it's not like you could really keep him out if he really wanted in. At least he's asking.

Liquid Cannabis? The things people will do to get high. And nominally legal for use in America, if I read the article right.

I mean, he knew what it was the second his ring scanned the place... Still, staying on Lenny's good side is probably worth more than a minor arrest for drugs...

Ah, the good old 'The light, it burns us' response of the hung-over.

How about not, and something far better.

And that is one heck of a callback indeed.

He should, it's a damn good deal. But then, there's his ego to consider...

Specifically, the 'find gainful employment' part. Kind of important.

Told you. Ego. Cause of more than a few of his problems over the years.

I can see them being popular in ship-breaking. Being able to bend and tear metal with their bare hands and all...

Just don't leave it too long. Don't want a Flash turning up looking for you.

And now he's grinning like a loon on the inside. Even if he's trying to keep his poker face on the outside...

...But... Technicolour space babes!

Heh, bit of a jolt, eh? I guess some people have more lively reactions than others.

Drinking before noon? Not exactly classy.

So, OL's getting caught back up after his holiday, then. That'll take... Two days tops, the rate he moves. Still, that can soak up a few chapters. Then what? Any thoughts on what the title means, or may foretell about the episode's plot? Because... o_O I'm drawing a blank. Still, I guess we'll see soon enough.

12. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

They were testing the effects of temperature on biological systems. Specifically thermal expansion and friction.

It seems all that research late into the night left them dehydrated.

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    It's a reference to Bruce Has A Problem.
    Celebrating.
    No it wasn't.
    Oh, it's perfectly possible. It's just beyond the current abilities of any featured characters.
    No.
    I don't think it is.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

No, Jade.

And Clayface may not know of Wynne's romantic life, seeing as he was imprisoned.

Snart is truly crazy if he passes that up.

ChestBurster, Doccer, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  15. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

If you really need it, sure, but when there's a very real risk of that being the last time it'll work (which is far from assured, but likely enough for this context), one should make it really count.

moralrelativity likes this.
  16. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I think corporations are referred to using plural pronouns; so "are" is correct.

17. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

At least, they are in the UK, and since OL is the one talking, it fits. In the USA, corporations are theoretically individuals, though none have ever been executed, and thus Americans often use 'is' for some groups, including companies.

Silveraith and moralrelativity like this.
  18. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Ah, thank you, of course that makes sense. Yet again, a 'correction' isn't correct due to the whole US vs. UK divide.

Silveraith and Prince Charon like this.
  19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Nice word games there Paragon.

They don't have the authority to regulate Magic.

They do have the authority to regulate potions as those would fall under their definition of a drug.

20. Sojiko

Sojiko Getting sticky.

I don't really understand the ending. Why would Leonard say that? To who is he talking? Or is it Harkness speaking? I don't see any reason for him to ask that question to the SI either, so maybe he's asking that to Leonard?

Can someone explain to me, please?

21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's just Snart making polite talk, nothing more.

Prince Charon and Darko like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul's last line implied he was going to go somewhere and Snart asked him if he had somewhere he needed to be.

23. Mr Zoat

Leonard has decided to make him breakfast, since he was going to make breakfast for himself and Mr. Harkness, and he does actually like the SI.

24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I found a broken picture.
    Edit: I also found a video that doesn't work because it's private. I assume this is Yami Yugi doing this to someone?

25. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

The joy of competent minions.

Nice to see Paul keeping in touch. Too much of the cast has slipped into abject obscurity.

Prince Charon and ChestBurster like this.
  26. Joelseph14

Joelseph14 Know what you're doing yet?

Wonderful chapter. I'd love to see Paul hang with the Rogues. I wonder if Flash and Kid Flash will show up since they have a fairly good relationship with their Villains

ChestBurster and Bud-E like this.
  27. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Mr Zoat hey did Overgirl go back to her earth and if she did is she helping Overman reform Nazi earth

28. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

not as terrible as you think. however undefined the rest of him is, one of the few constant defining traits of Lobo is that his own person sense of honor/duty/whatever prevents him from reneging or quitting a job before seeing it completed. if anything, the main problem that i see with hiring him to take on the Reach is a lack of a single Big Bad to point him at. you could just say "Lobo, destroy the Reach" and then a whoooole lot of innocents are going to die, which isn't ideal. if Paul or Vril Dox could give him an ongoing list of single targets, that would be better. besides, even if Lobo did end up taking a contract against Paul or any one of the good guys, i fully believe the Maltusians or Paul could easily capture and imprison him indefinitely.

edited to add: a dialogue between Hinon and Lobo could be hilarious.

ChestBurster, Ngamer11 and Vorian like this.
  29. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

So now that Paragon's vacation is over, is he going to reunite John Constantine's secret nephew with his family soon?

30. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

How in the world did I miss this possibility (during that arc)? Great question. I doubt she’d feel super comfortable on her homeworld, but I reckon at least a trip was in order. And a debriefing on our earth. I hope we learn about her situation during this catch-up arc. I have a feeling only a fraction of this arc will really be about recent happenings and things will take a chaotic turn soon enough.

Hm. Kara has also gone a month without the SI. I’m curious if she has changed much during the time skip.